Re: Microphone for Zoom

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

This issue with screen readers being  broadcast on Zoom meetings is why I use a separate sound card for my screen reader.  No need for a pricey external speech synthesizer, just buy a stable but low end item from Sound Blaster for about 30 or 40 dollars US and use head phones so no one hears your screen reader but you.

On 4/10/2021 12:22 AM, Terrilynne Pomeroy wrote:
You aren't broadcasting screen-reader speech if you mute the microphone
as soon as you enter the meeting.
First, let me say that I am a newby at this, and may have some incorrect perceptions. But in the meetings I attend, the second I enter the meeting, I am on. The first time I did it, it was a women's meeting. Several women began talking about the sound of JAWS, some nice sounding guy attending the meeting. It depends on if the host of the meeting has everyone muted or not. Some hosts do, but most do not.

You said It would be inconvenient and cumbersome to mute and unmute the
microphone using Windows sound card controls.
I don't use any sound card controls. I either use the switch on the mic, or I use the mute button in Zoom. There is a keystroke for muting in Zoom, but when I tried it, I got a sound and JAWS asking me something and I
had to hit enter, of course all narrated by JAWS.

You said, you may want another microphone anyway
And that is exactly why I wrote to the group asking if anyone had recommendations for such a mic.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, April 9, 2021 5:21 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Microphone for Zoom

You aren't broadcasting screen-reader speech if you mute the microphone
as soon as you enter the meeting. As I said, you may want another microphone anyway, but you don't want to turn on and off a microphone when unmuted.
Doing so will make loud noises as the microphone power is stopped or started. If I were using a microphone with a switch, I would always leave it on and mute myself using Zoom. Indeed, many people use microphones that there is no convenient way to mute and unmute. I use the microphone in my laptop. I mute myself in Zoom, It would be inconvenient and cumbersome to mute and unmute the microphone using Windows sound card controls.
And in general, I think I can safely say that people mute themselves in Zoom rather than with the microphone itself. I use a much better solution so I don't have to worry about the microphone picking up the screen-reader. I use headphones, not the speakers while in a zoom meeting. I don't use USB headphones. I want to use my internal sound card and the microphone in my computer. So I use a set of headphones that connect using the headphone jack in the computer. If you do this, don't forget to lower play volume a lot before plugging in the headphones. There are times I want my microphone unmuted but I don't want my screen-reader to be heard. If casual conversation is occurring, and people are interjecting comments as they would in a conversation, I don't want to keep muting and unmuting the microphone. and when I talk, I don't want people to hear my screen-reader announce something like Bill has joined the meeting or announcing that Steve has sent a message. While these things don't usually happen when I'm speaking, I don't want them to.