external drive goes to sleep

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

I keep my external drive plugged into my laptop and keep it turned on at all times in case I need it, but apparently it goes to sleep after a short time of not using it because even if I'm just trying to open a folder on the laptop itself it's delayed in opening until the external drive spins up. Is there any way aside from just turning the drive on when I want to use it to keep it from going to sleep and thus taking so much longer for my folders to open?

I have the external drive plugged into a hub that has on/off switches for each port, and I turned the port off this morning and my folders are opening much faster so I know it's the external drive that's causing the slow down.

Troy