Re: external drive goes to sleep

From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2021 2:29 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] external drive goes to sleep

Its better not to have it connected when you aren't using it. If you become
infected with malware that infects the external drive when browsing or doing
something else, if the drive is disconnected, you won't infect the drive if
you know you are infected and don't connect it.

However, there is a utility to keep a drive running when it isn't being
used. I don't know if that shortens the life of a USB external drive to
have it be constantly running.

Here is a link to a page that discusses a utility named No Sleep. I believe
it doesn't install unwanted programs. You don't install it, you run it.
Even so, you may want to look at reviews and comments to try to be sure it
doesn't. With free software, installing unwanted programs is a problem with
much of it.