Re: if you were getting a new computer.

Monte Single

Heck, you could spend an extra thousand dollars just by getting high end video and processor.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: April 18, 2021 10:38 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] if you were getting a new computer.

I doubt programs are getting that much bigger. Since I haven't seen this elsewhere, I'll put it in the interesting category but I'd want a good deal more verification. And even if they are, I am not convinced that justifies getting more than 8GB for the average user. You can add this expense and that expense until you are spending one-hundred or two or three hundred dollars more than you have to and derive no meaningful benefit.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/much-ram-really-need/

Regarding digital drives, they are so fast to start with that even if the larger drives are faster, does that matter? What are we talking about, perhaps half a second speed difference to load a program? and can you document that larger digital drives will last longer and that it matters?
Digital drives, from what I've readd will generally last far longer than the computer using them so I remain to be convinced.

Regarding price, following your recommendations for a hard drive and for RAM, how much more money would you be spending?