From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 6:56 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] if you were getting a new computer.

I've just read a lot of a long Quara thread on the subject. After seeing many different opinions and some discussion, I'll say that I don't know if having 16GB of RAM will speed up a computer even if you never use 8GB. I will say that I question whether it matters much for the typical user. If I can save between sixty and 85 dollars roughly by having 8 GB of RAM, I'll have 8GB. I'm not so affluent that I want to spend the extra money for possible gains in performance that would so minimally affect my computer use. Most of my time is spent listening to audio, reading e-mails, answering some, browsing the Internet and doing some audio recording and editing.

Saving a few seconds here and there is meaningless. And let's say I want to have my browser be faster. If I use an ad blocker, I've already significantly speeded up my browser and gotten more protection against possibly corrupted advertising that is malicious. And I haven't spent an extra penny.

If I really wanted to speed it up, I could get an SSD drive. Getting an SSD drive would speed up my machine much more than adding RAM when I'm not using all I currently have.