Re: if you were getting a new computer.

enes sarıbaş

The ram performance would be evident in app load times etc. The SSD difference is basicly a 90% difference which is substantial. When copying, installing or removing programs this would be evident. But remember the most important thing is a 1tb SSD lasts longer, so it starts slowing down much later on.

On 4/18/2021 9:03 PM, Gene wrote:
I'll assume that is true.  But for what kinds of uses do those speed diffferences make any difference that matters?

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: enes sarıbaş
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 8:48 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] if you were getting a new computer.

Gene,

It actually does make a huge difference in drives. For example, the 1tb
samsung 970 plus while costing more, has a sustained write speed of 1700
mbps even when cache is exhausted, as opposed to the 900 of the 512 gb
drive, and the 256 goes even lower.

Programs are substantially   using more ram. Browsers and windows itself
is. The price of a ram at a 16 gb level will be just under 100 dollars,
maybe 70 or so, but it changes b based on speed. The price difference
between 8 and 16 gb is negligible. Me, I went all out with a 2x 16 gb
kit for 32 gb to future proof my machine, and because 32 gb has more
memory contacts on higher core pcs and increases performance more.

On 4/18/2021 11:38 AM, Gene wrote:
I doubt programs are getting that much bigger.  Since I haven't seen this elsewhere, I'll put it in the interesting category but I'd want a good deal more verification.  And even if they are, I am not convinced that justifies getting more than 8GB for the average user.  You can add this expense and that expense until you are spending one-hundred or two or three hundred dollars more than you have to and derive no meaningful benefit.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/much-ram-really-need/

Regarding digital drives, they are so fast to start with that even if the larger drives are faster, does that matter?  What are we talking about, perhaps half a second speed difference to load a program?  and can you document that larger digital drives will last longer and that it matters? Digital drives, from what I've readd will generally last far longer than the computer using them so I remain to be convinced.

Regarding price, following your recommendations for a hard drive and for RAM, how much more money would you be spending?

Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 10:58 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

As I said though, programs are getting bigger. I'd go with at 16 gb if budget allowed to be safe. But the 512 drives have more write capacity before they have to be replaced, and also faster write performance.

On 4/18/2021 9:04 AM, John Holcomb II wrote:

I don’t think most normal users would need 512GB.

IT really depends on what he is doing.

With read/write at 500 MB for a Sata-based SSD, he doesn’t need to worry too much about that either.

I’d say  a Core I5 would do it. AMD vs. intel either of these would be fine.

We have no idea what kinda budget he is working with so THESE are just some points to consider.

I do however agree with the 8GB ram.

John