Re: if you were getting a new computer.

enes sarıbaş

The monthly ones do take a long time even when on an SSD. The time on an HDD is much much longer. I had a new versus old work laptop, during the maintenence window, a windows update took 30-40 minutes to install versus about 5-7  minutes on an SSD.  This is a very big  difference, and the time usually about that long with an HDD.

On 4/18/2021 9:09 PM, Gene wrote:
Are you talking about the six month major upgrades or the monthly ones or both?  I doubt the monthly ones take long enough to matter to any meaningful extent.

As for long boot up times, I can put my computer to sleep and resume operations when I wake it within seconds and I can leave programs opened I am using as well.

I would lose time if I reboot my computer every vfew days to avoid performance problems but I can reboot while I'm doing other things.

I don't know what the difference in price is now between a SSD and a mechanical drive.  I haven't checked for quite some time.

GeneThe updates question is interesting.
-----Original Message----- From: enes sarıbaş
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 8:55 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] if you were getting a new computer.

Gene, look at it this way though.

An SSD has a very significant performance improvement that can only be
experienced for proper context. And the difference will make a
difference in your daily life. A pc booting in 2-3 minutes versus 5
seconds is a massive change. SSDs also don't slow if your pc performs
background tasks like applying updates or installing programs. This also
saves time.  I would pay $1000 for an SSD if prices increased. I would
never use a mechanical spinning drive as primary if someone paid me to
use one.

On 4/18/2021 8:44 PM, Gene wrote:
I didn't say SSDs don't make a considerable difference.  I said the difference doesn't matter to me and I am not convinced it would be important for many users, depending on how they use a computer.

I don't know the price of an SSD now compared with that of a mechanical drive but if there is still a price difference that matters, depending on what the difference is, I still might not get one in a new computer.

If I did things regularly where the difference really mattered, I would be far more likely to get one even if the cost amounted to something.

If people want speed because they want speed and can afford it, then they may do whatever they want and I wouldn't say anything. But I think that people who recommend things because they are faster should not only discuss that aspect, but what the cost is and where it really matters.

I haven't used one but say it speeds up web page loading by two or three seconds.  I don't know if it does.  If I spend between fifty seconds and two minutes looking at a page and it loads in two seconds instead of five, does three seconds a page matter enough to spend the extra money on an SSD, if there is still a significant difference and depending on my financial situation?

Working on a document in a word processor is almost all time spent working on the document.  the same with streaming.  Time is almost all spent listening to whatever it is.

I don't know enough about mechanical drives to know if this consideration matters, but if I traveled a good deal and used my laptop while traveling, it might make sense to buy an SSD because of badd jolts while traveling, such as a  bad pothole or, though rare, the very bad air pocket.  I don't know how well mechanical drives are protected from such shocks these days. SSDs wouldn't be bothered at all so that may  be another reason to use one.

In short, I object to discussions about speed when people ask what they should get being made without considering these sorts of questions.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: chris judge
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 6:12 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

I know Gene, you always argue this point. You also say solid state hard drives don't make that much of a difference. I have used both and in my experience they do.

Chris Judge