Re: HP laptop : How to enter safe mode?

Gene

for clarification, I meant to say reset every time I talked about Windows 10. I said restore at times.

From: Gene via groups.io
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2021 1:44 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] HP laptop : How to enter safe mode?

I did a bit of looking around and I didn't find anything specifically
discussing what we are discussing. I did find an article telling you how to
reset Windows 10 and I am giving that link below. But we are discussing
restoring Windows 10 on a computer that originally had another operating
system on it. Restoring Windows 10 does just that. But if I upgraded or
installed Windows 10 on my laptop, as far as I know, nothing would be done
to get rid of the data on the hidden partition my computer has to restore it
to factory defaults, in other words, to restore it to its factory state, as
it left the factory with Windows 7 and whatever else was placed on the
computer at the factory by the manufacturer. Here are the instructions for
doing so on my computer. As you will see, they have nothing to do with
booting into Windows or restoring a clean copy of a new or upgraded operting
system. As you will also see from the article I linked to below, you can
reset Windows 10 within Windows 10 which will place a clean copy on your
machine.

Remember, instructions for doing what is described below in this manual
excerpt vary depending on brand and model of machine so check to see what
your machine's instructions are. I am reproducing these instructions to
demonstrate what I am saying, not to provide instructions for how you do
this on your computer.

From my Toshiba manual:
To recover the original factory image using the utilities on your
computer’s internal storage drive:

1
Make sure the computer is turned off.

2
Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard while
powering on the computer.

3
If your system offers a choice of Windows® 7 32-bit or 64-bit
operating system, select one at this time. If not, skip to step 4.

4
A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is

executed all data will be deleted and rewritten. Click Yes to

continue.

5
When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens and the Selecting a
process screen displays, select Recovery of Factory Default
Software and then click Next.

6 The Recovery of Factory Default Software screen appears.
Select Recover to out-of-box state.

7 Click Next.

A confirmation message displays reminding you that all data
will be lost during the recovery process. Be sure to save your
work to external media before proceeding (see “Backing up
your work” on page 105).

8 Click Next to begin the recovery.

When the process is complete, a message displays indicating
that the internal storage drive has been recovered.

9 Press any key on the keyboard to restart the computer.

the link below discusses how to reset Windows 10 from within your
installation of Windows 10. It is completely different from what was
described above.
https://www.theverge.com/21264104/windows-10-reset-os-reboot-troubleshoot-microsoft

From: Gene