From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Thomas N. Chan
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2021 10:25 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] laptop

You are running a machine series that I used to own. Its only 100mbps ethernet port lol...

I got a lower end machine, without those serial ports, still got a DVD burner, 8gb of ram (I max it out already), I upgraded 256gb to 640gb harddrive.

Its running windows 7 though.

Works fine, I can surf net on it which its the only thing I does with it.

Even if I would get the latest OS, I will not run windows 10 on it. too much work to get the driver to get going. I done once, last year on one of the computer in the office.

in the end, i load up linux on it and put whatever gui for the user to use it as the day to day processing unit. still alive as we speak.

Too much limitation to get an old machine to work.

If you don't want, run a NAS on it. linux base, and you can put multiple drives on them external or internal and you can put on the network for file sharing. i done for a customer previously.

if it die, thats all it can do. surfing net will be a pain. you can listen to music on it, watch youtube... simple stuff. opening document, edit a few page but if you want to to do more, then it will be too slow.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 at 22:12, John Holcomb II <jhii926@...> wrote:

Lmao um. Yeah back then.

Core duo, 4GB of DDR2 ram. (it had 2GB and I upgraded it to the fastest speed possible and the most amount it’d support in 2011.

WiFi g

DVD-RW

Still has a 56K modem and parallel port! Serial too if I’m remembering correctly.

Has ethernet (though I’m not sure if its 10, 100 or 1000.

It’s a Dell Inspirine E-1705

I actually replaced the still working original 80GB SATA 2 drive with an SATA-based SSD that I believe is 200 GB and tried to put Windows 10 on it.

No go.

I’d love to put a lightweight OS on it but not sure what or how.

All of the hardware works perfectly!

If you’ve got any ideas, let me know!

John