Re: if you were getting a new computer.

Gene

I doubt that in general, having a slower drive and 8GB of RAM for the typical user results in stuttering speech and crashes.  As to slow boot ups, I've already discussed that,  While I see some messages complaining about this or that problem, such as stuttering speech or crashes, its hardly enough on lists like this, year after year, to draw such conclusions.  And there are so many factors that can cause such problems that those small number of complaints I see can't be at all assumed to come from an underpowered machine.

I suspect that most blind people of the typical user variety, actually have 8GB of RAM.  That's what a lot of computers come with and the majority of computer ;purchasers probably get what is offered.

From comments in this thread, it appears that a lot perhaps most computers now already come with solid state drives so that is no longer evidently much of an issue.

I can't say which chips people should get who are typical users but no one I've read as computer advisors and I haven't seen anyone on lists like this that I recall, have said that the typical user will benefit in any meaningful way by using 32GB of ram.

And the discussion we are having has implications for those who get computers from organizations like Computers For the Blind.  I doubt those machines are at all the sort of 16GB of RAM, solid state drive machines being discussed here.  I don't think people who want a computer but have limited means and find a new one difficult to afford should worry about getting one from such an organization unless they are more demanding users.  If the organization in question has a lot of complaints about the machines they send out, that is a different question but for many people, not having a machine of the kind being discussed here isn't necessary, whether they would prefer one or not.

As I said, from comments in this thread, I'm willing to accept that 16GB of RAM may increase performance and of course an SSD does, but at the same time, I don't think the impression should be left that using a machine such as you might get from Computers For the Blind without an SSD or 16GB of ram is going to mean the typical user will have problems based on the lower specifications.

Gene

On 4/19/2021 4:53 AM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
And you see the people not doing the extra hundred dollars complaining about stuttering audio, slow boots, hard drive and OS crashes and general issues.  Seriously buying a high quality pc, E.G, an R7/9, 16-32 gb ram, samsung SSD is one of the best quality investments youv can make, and  you probably could use it 6-7 years,  because my 8 core processor likely will stay current for at least that long.

On 4/19/2021 3:22 AM, chris judge wrote:
Well, I usually allow myself a new PC every five years or so whether I need it or not. I'll never have to worry about the expense of owning a vehicle. I use my PC constantly for work and pleasure and the sake of a few hundred dollars really doesn't make much difference to me, so I usually tend to go a bit high end.

Chris Judge