From: Thomas N. Chan
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2021 1:25 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] if you were getting a new computer.

I am referring to Gene. People who get computers from such association as what John mentioned, are happy to own a computer with low price or even free.
I myself was at that kind of situation previously.
Please don't compare things there's no different when you yourself didn't try before.
you read things online or by article or whatever by a tech geek that you know. but we are speaking from experience as a blind users and you shot us down saying how correct your point are.
Like it or not, jaws are getting bigger, NVDA are getting bigger, dll library and all those programming are getting bigger. reading and writing on the harddrive is not the point, is if you can RAM on them. RAM is always faster than harddrive. When its there, the program or OS will just pick it up.
Windows itself are just getting bigger. more ram, more faster access capacity are just going to make a different. not just a few second.
10 seconds to boot up vs a minute, you don't see a difference?
even the lowest specification of a SSD is going to be faster than a spinning drive.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 at 00:40, John Holcomb II <jhii926@gmail.com> wrote:
They have minimum donation when you donate to Computers For The Blind.
Anyone who is getting a computer from there is just happy to have a computer at all.
I'd define typical user as the type that would be doing light tasks on a PC.
For those users (especially who can't afford to buy one themselves), 8GB and whatever is given to them from Computers For The Blind will be good enough for the light usage.
John