I'm curious about what is occurring.  I don't know enough about ping to be sure I understand such a test.  I know about pinging a site but I didn't know people pinged specific pages on sites. Perhaps my question can be put this way:

The page in question is one from which you initiate a download but it isn't a direct link to the file.  Would ping give different results in one case as opposed to another?  Also, when you ping a page as opposed to a direct link to a file, is the return received by different ports, which would tell you if a port is blocked by the computer or router?

Gene

On 4/21/2021 6:36 PM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:
Exactly Gene.  I will try to find out if the incoming and outgoing number of net packets from his pc is as it should be.

On 22/4/2021 7:29 am, Gene wrote:
I doubt the problem is limited to one site.  Is that why you are asking that it be pinged?

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Jaffar Sidek
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 6:25 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Downloads Fail With Any Browser

Hi Mike.  If you know the direct address of the site's download page, please do the following and email me the results.

go to your command prompt ant type:

ping followed by the download page's address.  Once you hear any output from the screen reader, press Alt+space and arrow up or down to edit, then to select all.  Then get to edit again in the same way and look for copy.  Then go to notepad, paste the results and email the text to me.  I should be able to tell you what to do after reading the result of your ping.  HTH and Cheers!

On 22/4/2021 4:21 am, Mike B wrote:

Hi All,

I can download a file with Windows 10, but I can't using Windows 7.  It's the same exact URL.  I can download this file with any browser on Windows 10, but it won't download with any browser with Windows 7.  With Windows 7 the download will start, but it'll fail from anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes, where with Windows this 1.1 GB file will fully download in a couple of minutes.  I am not getting any errors or security messages on the Windows 7 computer at all, it's like the download is timing out. I tried different ethernet cables and ports and didn't help.  Does anyone have any idea as what I need to check?

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.