Re: how do you set up a Microsoft account?

Gene

This article has a good deal of information about protecting your privacy in Windows 10.

Others may want to discuss this.  I don’t have the knowledge to independently assess the information but it is an issue people should be aware of.

From: Janet
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2021 8:50 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] how do you set up a Microsoft account?

Hi Jim,

Well, I’m glad to see you are preparing for your new PC!  Smile!  Steve is right in what he is saying about the MS account.  Jim, you have an email address, you have a password to your Outlook.com right? Just sign in with that information, and you should be good to go!   I copied and pasted some information below for you to read if you are interested.

Janet

Microsoft Account. A Microsoft account (MSA) is a good choice if a user wants to use the same account on multiple devices. Setting up a preinstalled Windows

10 on a new device, after a clean install, or creating a new user on existing Windows installation, everything works from the moment the user signs into

the desktop for the first time.

What is a Microsoft account?

Microsoft account,Windows 10,Xbox One,Office 365,Outlook.com,Microsoft 365,

article

When you

sign in to your Microsoft account, you

have an all-access pass to Microsoft's premier services. If you use any of these services, you have a Microsoft account: Outlook, Office, Skype, OneDrive,

Xbox Live, Bing, Store, Windows, or MSN. Your Microsoft account lets you manage everything all in one place. Keep tabs on your subscriptions and order

history, organize your family's digital life, update your privacy and security settings, track the health and safety of your devices, and get rewards.

Everything stays with you in the cloud and across devices, including iOS and Android. Get to the people, content, and entertainment that matter to you

most, with your Microsoft account. One account, all things Microsoft.

There is certainly people who do not want this though, and Windows 8 made it very difficult to use the Microsoft services if you were not logged in with

a Microsoft Account (MSA).

Why Should I Bother with a Microsoft Account for Windows ...

IN THIS ARTICLE

navigation region

list of 7 items

Introduction

Your settings travel with you

Your OneDrive files travel with you

Consolidate e-mail addresses

Monitor your children’s computer behavior

Access your photos easily

article

Why Should I Bother with a Microsoft Account for Windows 10?

Introduced with Windows 8, the Microsoft account is simply an e-mail address and password that lets you access Microsoft’s services. You don’t need a Microsoft

account to use any version of Windows. But eventually, you’ll run across the figure shown below, asking for you to sign in with a Microsoft account.

You can always click Cancel to back out of that window. But when you begin using a Microsoft account, your computing world suddenly becomes a little bit

easier in several ways. Here are just a few ways a Microsoft account comes in handy.

Your settings travel with you

When you log in with a Microsoft account, Windows remembers your settings. So, when you log onto a new PC, it begins to behave a little like your old PC:

You automatically see your same wallpaper and colors. The Start menu’s tiles are rearranged the way you like. Your browser history, favorites, and passwords

travel with you, and you can quickly find your apps in the Windows Store.

To adjust which settings should travel with your Microsoft account, click Windows 10’s Start button, and choose Settings. When the Settings app appears,

click Accounts, and choose Sync Your Settings from the Accounts’ window’s left pane. There, you can flip toggle switches for the settings you’d like to

stay with your account.

Your OneDrive files travel with you

Your Microsoft account gives you access to 15GB of free storage space on the Internet. And you can access those files from any web browser, PC, smartphone

or tablet. Whenever you’re in range of a WiFi connection, you’re within range of your favorite files. If you need to collaborate on a group project, you

can also share a OneDrive folder that everybody can access.

Consolidate e-mail addresses

After many years of computing, many people also have many e-mail addresses. By creating a Microsoft account at Outlook.com, you can also set up Outlook.com

to import mail from your other accounts automatically. Then, no matter which e-mail account you own, the mail will arrive in your Outlook.com mailbox.

(You can also place an Outlook app on your Android phone, iPhone, or iPad, as well.)

Janet