Re: how to get to computers for the blind?

John Holcomb II

Here’s a link which  should help you.

The Best Windows Tablets for 2021 | PCMag

I personally wouldn’t get anything less t than Core I5 and 8GB of ram.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2021 3:45 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] how to get to computers for the blind?

I’d rather get a Windows tablet.

I’d like an idea of the price of a good Windows tablet. 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2021 2:40 PM

Gene, I don't think you could find an iPad for less than a computer for the blind, but you could an Amazon Kindle, or for maybe the same price. Also, the RCA Pro is an Android tablet. I just simply, literally despised the keyboard that came with the one I had though. I thought it was clumsy and sluggish. I never gain proficiency on it, like I have, on all thingds, the screen one on my iPhone. It could be that I have worked harder on the iPhone, and had more information about how to use it than I did the one on that tablet. Nevertheless, the RCA Pro is a good buy, if they still have them.

Because of my tablet experience, I had no intention of getting a keyboard for my iPhone, and another reason for that was to have to have some kind of peripheral with it. On the tablet, the keyboard was attached, but it could be removed, and you could use just the touch screen, which was a big one, probably almost the size of one of a desk top.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, May 2, 2021 3:12 PM

While I don’t know how many people have good experiences or bad, since I don’t want to upgrade to Windows 10 and I don’t want to spend much money to gget something I don’t want, I may gamble on a purchase.  the worst that can happen is that I loose something like $150 on a laptop and I’d rather gamble and hope to win.

But I wonder if I should get a tablet instead and use it with an external keyboard.  I haven’t checked about prices but my impression is that tablets are cheaper than computers and a good one can do basic tasks such as browsing, e-mail, and streaming well.

I’d be interested in opinions about what might be the better choice.

Gene
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2021 1:54 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

I have had no issues with my desktop computer from Computers for the Blind which I have had for quite a while.  It came with windows 7, but now I have installed windows 10 on it.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Rawls
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2021 9:08 PM

Thanks Steve, I’ll keep that I mind. Jim

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2021 2:53 PM

Is this the outfit in Texas? I know about a dozen people who've dealt with them, and none have come away satisfied, either with hardware received or support thereof. Caveat emptor.

On 4/28/2021 9:42 PM, John Holcomb II wrote:

www.computersfortheblind.org <http://www.computersfortheblind.org>

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.iomailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io On Behalf Of Jim Rawls
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 9:37 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] how to get to computers for the blind?

Thanks for your help. Jim

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.