Re: another jarte question

Gene

I suspect my guess is right, that it doesn’t see the cursor.  Obviously, this can and should be fixed.  I hope enough people complain so that developers take the problem seriously.

At least there is a way around the problem, have more than one version of JAWS on the machine or use NVDA or maybe Narrator.

From: Dave
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2021 7:03 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] another jarte question

Jarte' worked fine with Jaws up until a late update to Jaws in 2020.  After that, Jaws doesn't seem to find the line you've typed, or any line for that matter.

Grumpy Dave

On 5/4/2021 2:10 PM, Gene wrote:
It depends how you use JARTE.  Evidently, you can’t edit with it because you can’t conveniently tell where the cursor is.  For just reading, you can’t use read to end so reading documents that are at all long would be very cumbersome.

I suspect there is some minor problem with either Windows or JAWS.  If you want to use JARTE in more than just very limited ways, I suggest trying NVDA with it if you have it on your machine and are willing to use it with JARTE.  I also wonder if Wordpad has the same problem when you use it with JAWS on your computer.

Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2021 3:28 PM

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling jarte 2 or 3 times since I had to have windows reinstalled at the end of February since that's when I noticed this, and I even used a different upgraded version of jarte than the one I had before and the problem still exists.

Actually it's not really a problem and more of just an annoyance, I discovered by mistake being able to read with the jaws cursor and before that I considered it a problem.

Troy

On 5/4/2021 3:01 PM, Gene wrote:
I just downloaded JARTE and looked at the settings.  I didn’t see anything related to how the cursor is displayed.  Therefore, you may want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the program.  If you have NVDA and are satisfied to use it in JARTE, you might want to try it before doing diagnostic work.

Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2021 2:23 PM

This is speculation but since you can read text using the JAWS cursor, that suggests to me that JAWS isn’t seeing the cursor for some reason.  Others who use JARTE may be able to comment on that further.  For the moment, the best thing to do might be to wait for other comments.  Perhaps there is a setting you can change in the program that will solve the problem.

Gene