Re: another jarte question

Gene

That won’t solve the problem.  the original message said that JARTE is in screen-reader mode, indicating that that was already done.  Furthermore, screen[-reader mode isn’t necessary to see text.  It is necessary to work with the interface such as menus but you can move around and read text in the edit area regardless.  Another message from another list member said that JARTE worked with JAWS until an update to JAWS.  I believe it was the release of version 2020.  The solution appears to lie with the JAWS developers and those who want to use the program with JAWS should let their voices be heard so the problem has a better chance of being addressed and addressed soon.  NVDA works with the program if people want to use that screen-reader with it.  Also, the program is aware of NVDA and automatically goes into screen-reader mode when NVDA is running and you run JARTE.

From: Geoff Eden
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2021 10:59 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] another jarte question

If I repeat, I apologize. However, no mention was made of the need to place the phrase;

enable screen reader mode

On your clipboard before starting jarte.

Create the phrase in Notepad, press control A, press control C,close Notepad, and open jarte. This appears to put jarte into screen reader mode, which it announces as it opens.

There are rumours that this has been repaired, but I find I need to refresh the setting occasionally using the instructions above.

Here, using JAWS 2018 or NVDA jarte works just fine.

Good luck

Geoff

On 5/4/2021 4:28 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling jarte 2 or 3 times since I had to have windows reinstalled at the end of February since that's when I noticed this, and I even used a different upgraded version of jarte than the one I had before and the problem still exists.

Actually it's not really a problem and more of just an annoyance, I discovered by mistake being able to read with the jaws cursor and before that I considered it a problem.

Troy

On 5/4/2021 3:01 PM, Gene wrote:
I just downloaded JARTE and looked at the settings.  I didn’t see anything related to how the cursor is displayed.  Therefore, you may want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the program.  If you have NVDA and are satisfied to use it in JARTE, you might want to try it before doing diagnostic work.

Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2021 2:23 PM

This is speculation but since you can read text using the JAWS cursor, that suggests to me that JAWS isn’t seeing the cursor for some reason.  Others who use JARTE may be able to comment on that further.  For the moment, the best thing to do might be to wait for other comments.  Perhaps there is a setting you can change in the program that will solve the problem.

Gene