Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2021 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blind Tech Guys Strap Discount

Joe,

I would agree with you, except that the blind community would be satisfied using a Franklin Language Master rather than a touch screen on an iPhone. Some still believe, to this day, that blind people should not and cannot use touch screens. Unfortunately, the company behind Strap is not as financially well off as Apple is, and many companies in this space don't do well not only because of concepts that didn't translate well into the real world, although that is certainly part of it, but also because of negative feedback from blind people that are so resistant to change, so resistant to anything different, that they literally have to be dragged kicking and screaming to begin to accept that something might be useful.

As was clearly stated, this is a pre-order. This is not a product which has been on the market for years. Some will wait and will not adopt the technology. Completely understandable. The promo code is not for you, although you will likely pay more for waiting. For early adopters, this offer is worth the consideration, even if for no other reason than to support the innovations that we as a community, whether we realize it or not, need.

Finally, the replacement of the White Cane is polarizing. I, along with others I've spoken to, believe strongly that the cane does need replacing. Yet I will also tell you, and I'm sure the Strap developers would as well, that this is an incredibly lofty goal, unlikely to be met by the first iteration. If you are happy with your cane, you are proud of it, you see it as a status symbol, nobody will take it away from you. If you are happy using a dog, nobody will take that away from you. If you are looking for an alternative, this device may be worth trying, and this discount may be worth exploring. It certainly may be worth learning about, at any rate, and that may mean reaching out to podcasters who have met with the developers, it may mean listening to podcasts and checking out the website of Strap, it may mean reaching out to the company directly to get questions answered, etc. Hopefully, it doesn't mean spouting more garbage on this, or other groups, without an understanding of the product, without doing any kind of research, based on a short announcement with a promo code. And hopefully, if you don't like the idea of a cane replacement, you can move past that concept and on to the benefits that such a product may or may not have on your independence and mobility needs.

For anyone wishing to discuss this further, hopefully without judgement and without the misinformation and fear that Gene is so good at providing, please join the BlindTechGuys mailing list, mailto:blindtechguys%2Bsubscribe@... where you can interact with others in the community, ask your tech-related questions, join in on community events via Zoom, Telegram, and Whatsapp, check out our Facebook group, and get announcements of upcoming podcast episodes as well.

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 4:43 AM Joe Orozco <jsoro824@...> wrote:
Love the thought-provoking discussion! I'm not opposed to innovation.
Yet, having participated in several user testing groups where the hope
was to improve navigation for the blind, I see years later that none
of them endured beyond the prototype. I won't pretend to be
intelligent enough to understand why that is, but there is something
to be said for old methods like cane or dog that are fundamental for
any future technology to be successful. A guide dog user cannot, in my
opinion, be truly successful if they are not a strong cane user. I
would assume an individual would not fully excel with innovative
technology if they could not navigate successfully with a dog. So
maybe the aim should not be to replace proven methods, but rather,
enhance them. It would go a long way in earning the trust of the blind
community and better help the developers understand what the actual
pain points might be for the blind traveler. I do applaud the forward
thinking. I see nothing wrong with pushing the envelope.

Joe

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber