Re: Interesting but I’m not sure I get how this is different FW: A Set of Eyes Helps You Engage with Your Computer Screen

Gene

I haven’t checked but I expect you can set JAWS to display things as they appear on screen to the extent other screen-readers do.  But System Access displays one link per line and NVDA can be set to display one link per line as well. 

And I don’t know of any screen-reader that displays things as they appear on web pages in most ways.  Any screen-reader I’ve used displays navigation links at the top of the page, then other text, then below that text, a clustr of other links, somewhat like the navigation links on top.  This is not how a web page appears to sighted users.  To sighted users, navigation links run down the left side of the page.  Other text appears more in the middle, then the cluster of links screen-readers show on the bottom appear on the right side of the screen. 

I haven’t read the article yet, but my point is that blind people aren’t shown web pages as sighted people see them.  If a sighted person says this link is on the right, that means it is in the cluster of links at the bottom of the page.  Rather than worry about such descriptions, if I know the name of the link, I use my screen-reader’s find command to find it. 

It is useful to know what I’ve described and it is informative to know how a sighted person sees web pages.  If I were telling a sighted person where to find a link, such knowledge might be useful in that way.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2021 11:47 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Interesting but I’m not sure I get how this is different FW: A Set of Eyes Helps You Engage with Your Computer Screen

So I read this and even the  story (at least to me) doesn’t give enough info on how this is different than other screen readers.

Like doesn’t NVDA and narrator provide things as they appear on the webpage, where as JAWS doesn’t?

Also, what about the rest of the interactions that appear outside of the browser?

Would different engines behave differently?

John

Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2021 4:21 PM
To: John <jhii926@...>
Subject: A Set of Eyes Helps You Engage with Your Computer Screen

View this email in your browser

Hi John,

A Set of Eyes Helps You Engage with Your Computer Screen

Here at Pneuma Solutions, we’re always on the prowl for the latest technology that could redefine the way we interact with the world. Some of this technology we adopt into our own workflow for your benefit. At other times we have to stand back in admiration at the ingenuity other teams are leveraging to make the world more inclusive.

A student team at Johns Hopkins is developing a screen reader that takes a unique approach to rendering text. The prototype is called A Set of Eyes, and it seeks to provide an intelligent means of engaging with elements on environments like websites. We are confident the project will stand out as one of the university’s most promising initiatives with tangible benefit to the millions of blind people who rely on technology to lead successful and independent lives.

Click here to read the full story about this Johns Hopkins student team project

Sincerely,

The Pneuma Solutions Team
The Global Leader in Accessible Cloud-Based Technologies
pneumasolutions.com

Twitter

Facebook

Website

Copyright © 2021 Pneuma Solutions, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in via our website.

Our mailing address is:

Pneuma Solutions

43 SE Main St

Minneapolis, MN 55414-1029

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.