From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Orozco
Sent: Thursday, May 6, 2021 7:44 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blind Tech Guys Strap Discount

Love the thought-provoking discussion! I'm not opposed to innovation.
Yet, having participated in several user testing groups where the hope was to improve navigation for the blind, I see years later that none of them endured beyond the prototype. I won't pretend to be intelligent enough to understand why that is, but there is something to be said for old methods like cane or dog that are fundamental for any future technology to be successful. A guide dog user cannot, in my opinion, be truly successful if they are not a strong cane user. I would assume an individual would not fully excel with innovative technology if they could not navigate successfully with a dog. So maybe the aim should not be to replace proven methods, but rather, enhance them. It would go a long way in earning the trust of the blind community and better help the developers understand what the actual pain points might be for the blind traveler. I do applaud the forward thinking. I see nothing wrong with pushing the envelope.

Joe

On 5/6/21, val and david paul <valanddavidp@gmail.com> wrote:
Well said Gene!

On 06/05/2021 08:46, Gene wrote:
And I just thought of another reason that this device is a bad idea.
It is safer to be seen and known to be a blind person. Perhaps you
will get assistance more easily when you want it such as when
crossing a street with turning arrows and a lot of high speed traffic.
[Perhaps you will have an easier time getting directions. When I
walk into a store, if service people see the cane, they will offer help.
How will they know I am blind as easily and as quickly if it isn’t
made clear by a cane or a dog? If you don’t have a cane, people
won’t know you are blind. This strikes me as an attempt to hide a
person’s blindness. I don’t want to hide it. I am what I am and it
shouldn’t be hidden.