From  my  research ,  the  best  all-around  mobility  device  seems  to  be  the  Orcam  device.   It  detects  objects, reads print, recognizes faces and more.  It probably doesn't replace the cane, but this Strap device hasn't been around long enough to prove itself.  Orcam has been on the market for a few years and I've read good things about it.

If I were to spend money on an advanced mobility device, and if the payments were affordable, Orcam is probably what I'd buy.

Victor

On May 6, 2021, at 5:09 PM, James Bentley <bentleyj1952@...> wrote:

The experimental Japanese robotic guide dog also got put down.  It couldn’t handle stairs.

James B

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, May 6, 2021 5:30 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blind Tech Guys Strap Device

Well, the NYPD's robotic dog didn't work out and had to be put down.  So don't count on a robotic guide dog any time soon.

Gerald

On 5/6/2021 5:39 PM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:

The only kind of guide dog I would ever have would be a robotic one.  Pam.

-----Original Message----- From: Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2021 5:09 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Probably there would be a little less maintenance with robotic guide dog.