Re: Talking battery meter

Carolyn Arnold

Where did you get it, Dave?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave
Sent: Sunday, May 9, 2021 12:19 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Talking battery meter

If we are speaking of the typical Battery used by Flashlights and Portable Radio's, I use a talking Multimeter.

Cost me about $50, and has worked for the last 15 years of use.

Grumpy Dave

On 5/9/2021 5:07 AM, Gene wrote:

I don’t know how battery measuring instruments determine the percent of charge used but I wouldn’t consider the tongue method reliable. It can tell you when a battery is so much depleted that the voltage produced isn’t near the amount intended, even after a period of disuse. But Batteries often produce more current when they haven’t been used, and when used, the amount of current produced quickly goes down, perhaps significantly. So the amount of current you feel on your tongue doesn’t necessarily tell you anything about the true state of the battery.

I would hope instruments to determine the battery state are smart enough to determine the true state.