Re: Talking battery meter

Gerald Levy

Which is why an expensive talking multimeter is not the best way to test batteries.  And it cannot test small button cell and hearing aid batteries. But if anyone is interested, there is an inexpensive analog battery tester on the market that can be made completely accessible with a simple modification that can test every size of battery, including button cell and hearing aid batteries and can be used by both blind and deaf-blind consumers.  Seriously.  I use it to test my hearing aid, AA,AAA, C, D and 9V batteries in addition to the two inexpensive vibrators I mentioned previously.  This is probably the only battery tester that a blind or deaf-blind consumer could use to test hearing aid batteries.  This unit used to be sold at Radio Shack stores under their Realistic brand name, butwas actually manufactured for them by Gardner-Bender and is still widely available online, including Amazon and EBay, as the Gardner-Bender GBT-500A analog battery tester. It costs about $12.   Basically, to make it accessible, you remove the clear plastic window that covers the scale so that you can feel the position of the pointer needle with your index finger.  When the pointer swings all the way to the right in the green zone, the battery is good. If the needle only swings to about the 12:00 position or lower in the red zone, then it is weak or completely dead and should be replaced. The needle can swingfrom about 10:00, the rest position, to about 2:00, the highest level in the green zone.   I originally bought it at Radio Shack about 25 years ago when I still had sight and used it visually.  But after I lost my vision, I figured out that by using a small screwdriver, I could pry off the clear plastic window that covered the underlying scale and pointer needle, and voila, I was able to make it accessible.  I kid you not.

Gerald

On 5/10/2021 10:01 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Yes, to get accurate remaining battery potential, it must be measured under load.

On 5/10/2021 8:57 AM, Blaster wrote:
I'm only repeating what I've heard from an electrician from another
list,  but a multi meter only tests the resting voltage, whereby a
battery tester applies a resistance that could significantly drop the
power load of a battery at rest.
This would mean you could think you have a fully charged battery but
when you put it to use it would appear to die faster than expected.

HTH,
Blaster

On 5/9/21, James Bentley <bentleyj1952@...> wrote:
It needs power to beep and vibrate which doesn't happen if you test a
battery withlittle or no power.

James B  .