A Set of Eyes Helps You Engage with Your Computer !

Janet

HI All,
I'm finally getting a chance to read again, and I just came across this article, and thought some might be interested in reading about what I copied and pasted below.

Janet

A Set of Eyes Helps You Engage with Your Computer Screen
Pneuma Solutions Team . May 5, 2021 . 1:58 pm
This logo for A Set of Eyes (ASOE) includes an illustration of an open eye and braille dots
Here at Pneuma Solutions, we're always on the prowl for the latest technology that could redefine the way we interact with the world. Some of this technology
we adopt into our own workflow for your benefit. At other times we have to stand back in admiration at the ingenuity other teams are leveraging to make
the world more inclusive.
A student team at Johns Hopkins is developing a screen reader that takes a unique approach to rendering text. The prototype is called A Set of Eyes, and
it seeks to provide an intelligent means of engaging with elements on environments like websites.
Webinar screen: (left to right) Jonathan Edwards, David Calvo, Jada Campbell, Kavya Tumkur and Hannah Lynn.
The Johns Hopkins student team: (left to right) Jonathan Edwards, David Calvo, Jada Campbell, Kavya Tumkur and Hannah Lynn.
According to one of the students, Jonathan Edwards: "The term "screen reader" is kind of a misnomer-it's not really a piece of software that "reads" your
computer screen.  It actually scrapes the webpage's underlying HTML code and reads back to you what that code is out loud. . Our approach involves using
computer vision and machine learning to detach the screen reader from the underlying code and also provide users with a flexible user interface-meaning
they can practically talk with our screen reader to get information on the page."
Our very own David Calvo is spearheading the project. He adds: "Imagine constantly relying on other people to do things like pay your bills or schedule
appointments online! ASoE is the screen reader that my dad can rely on to do all of these things himself."
Design Day
challenges students to take what they learn in the classroom and apply it to a real world application. This year's demos will feature A Set of Eyes, and
we are confident the project will stand out as one of the university's most promising initiatives with tangible benefit to the millions of blind people
who rely on technology to lead successful and independent lives.
This is an exciting glimpse into the future.

https://pneumasolutions.com/a-set-of-eyes-helps-you-engage-with-your-computer-screen/

Peace Be With You.