victor reader or my XP machine. It's been too long since I learned
about the differences between disk formats. Ideas anyone?

Howard

On 5/12/2021 6:58 AM, Gene wrote:
That’s not correct. XP uses the NTFS file system when installing
unless that is changed and it can rread external hard drives formatted
in that system.
Gene
*From:* Thom Spittle <mailto:thom3of5@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Wednesday, May 12, 2021 6:48 AM
*To:* main@techtalk.groups.io <mailto:main@techtalk.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [TechTalk] Using portable drive on windows XP
Also remember that XP can only use a drive that is formatted in FAT32.

On May 11, 2021, at 9:44 PM, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

It isn’t clear to me, but if I understand what I read, NTFS drives
are limited to 2TB. But a different file system is used by larger
drives and later versions of Windows, at least starting with Windows
7, can work with that file system.
However, those with more technical knowledge will, I hope discuss the
qquestion. If I understand this correctly, this explains why the
format message appears; XP doesn’t recognize the file system. But to
be sure things are working properly, do you have something like a
thumb drive or a smaller external drive to try in the XP machine to
be sure it sees drives correctly?
I have a larger drive and XP machines but I can’t test with any
convenience. I keep my larger drive off site, in other words, away
from home to further protect what I back up.