IDEAWORKS Portable Audio Converter.
It takes audio from a stereo receiver tape out jacks (or something similar) and records it on a thumb drive or an SD card.  That thing doesn't work on drives bigger than 8GB.  I'll have to try it on there, too.

Howard

On 5/12/2021 10:10 AM, Gene wrote:
It will work in XP.  I don’t know about the Victor Reader.

Gene
-----Original message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Using portable drive on windows XP

'morning all;
Yesterday, I decided it was necessary to format one of my thumb drives; a Sandisk 16GB.  I had the choice of fat32 or ntfs.  I chose NTFS.  Now I'm wondering which of my devices this drive won't work any more on: the victor reader or my XP machine.  It's been too long since I learned about the differences between disk formats.  Ideas anyone?

Howard

On 5/12/2021 6:58 AM, Gene wrote:
That’s not correct.  XP uses the NTFS file system when installing unless that is changed and it can rread external hard drives formatted in that system.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 6:48 AM

Also remember that XP can only use a drive that is formatted in FAT32.

On May 11, 2021, at 9:44 PM, Gene mailto:gsasner@... wrote:

It isn’t clear to me, but if I understand what I read, NTFS drives are limited to 2TB.  But a different file system is used by larger drives and later versions of Windows, at least starting with Windows 7, can work with that file system.

However, those with more technical knowledge will, I hope discuss the qquestion.  If I understand this correctly, this explains why the format message appears; XP doesn’t recognize the file system.  But to be sure things are working properly, do you have something like a thumb drive or a smaller external drive to try in the XP machine to be sure it sees drives correctly?

I have a larger drive and XP machines but I can’t test with any convenience.  I keep my larger drive off site, in other words, away from home to further protect what I back up.