Re: A jaws speaking issue

Gene

We don’t know what the problem is.  I have no reason to assume or give prevalence to it being a keyboard or operating system problem.  I’m not saying iit is or isn’t, but I think it makes sense to ask JAWS technical support for help.  Without any idea of how to solve the problem or what it is, you can spend a lot of time trying all sorts of things with no results.  Technical support may help solve the problem reasonably quickly.

How long ago did the problem start?  You may want to run a system restore point from before the problem began.  If you don’t know what the effects may be of running a restore point, we can discuss that.
Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 10:33 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] A jaws speaking issue

Hi Kay,

On the other list you said that the computer was rebooted, it took awhile but now it's back up and running.  Is this still the case?  If you like and if you still have my phone number you can give me a call.  This isn't a Jaws issue, but it sounds like either a bad keyboard or a OS problem.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 7:11 PM

It now says something like, unknown jaws key and then I can't get it to do anything.  When I press keys it is like it is in some kind of key describer mode.  YOU can't route jaws
to PC and it won't do anything.  If I try pressing insert with anything it just says the letter of what I pressed
Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

We are told to let our light shine, and if it does, we won't need to tell anybody it does. Light houses don't fire cannons to call attention to their shining - just shine.
Dwight L. Moody – 1837-1899, Evangelist and Publisher

Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 7:16 PM

Hi Kay,

Try running Jaws with its default settings to see if it's some sort of setting that could be causing this.  Try the following.
1. Press, Insert / Jaws ke + spacebar, then press the letter, Z.  This will run Jaws 17 latest & all Jaws later versions in default mode, & this keystroke
is a toggle, so just invoke the keystroke again to run them with your settings back.

Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 4:07 PM

Mike,
I'll give this a shot.  Thanks.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

We are told to let our light shine, and if it does, we won't need to tell anybody it does. Light houses don't fire cannons to call attention to their shining - just shine.

Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 12:47 PM

Hi Kay,

Another thing to check is your typing interrupt setting, as suggested on another list.  Press, Insert + 6, to open the Settings Center.

Now press, Control, shift + D, to open Settings Center default all applications.

Down arrow to, Users, and right arrow to open.

Down arrow to the, Typing Interrupt, checkbox and if this isn't checked press the spacebar to check it then apply and okay your way out to save and close.

Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 5:01 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] A jaws speaking issue

Hi all,
I have finally gotten irritated enough to want to fix this.  What this is, is that when I press control to shut Jaws up, it does not shut up.  In fact, it takes several presses of control before silence reigns.  This is a Windows 7 machine with Jaws 19.  Sorry about it not being updated but that is all I could doo.  It happens both with my DecTalk USB express and Eloquence.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should look in to?  Thanks much.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.