Re: getting rid of deleted messages

Howard Traxler

Using thunderbird, how does one convert an imap account to pop?  I think I'd like that better.

On 5/20/2021 1:19 PM, E.M. Kirtley wrote:

I have a pop account, as far as I know.  The folder is “trash”. 

Ms. Kirtley

Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 11:12 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] getting rid of deleted messages

If one has an IMAP account, does he need to log onto GMail to perform maintenance or can it be done effectively in his local email client?

On 5/20/2021 12:06 PM, Gene wrote:

Evidently my memory is incorrect.  I may have tried to delete mail from another folder and it wasn’t.  I just tried deleting a message from trash using an IMAP account with Google and Thunderbird and the message didn’t return.  It is gone.  Why you can’t delete messages is something I don’t know. 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 12:02 PM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] getting rid of deleted messages

Are you using an IMAP account?  From what I’ve read, GMail automatically removes messages that are more than thirty days old.  I haven’t played with this to any extent but it appears to me that if you delete the messages in the trash folder in your e-mail program, they aren’t deleted from the Gmail site and come back,  There may be some setting that allows this, but I don’t know it.  I may play a bit with this and verify if I am correct.

I don’t have a folder named deleted messages.  its named Trash.  Do you have a deleted messages folder?

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 11:52 AM

Subject: [TechTalk] getting rid of deleted messages

I have several thousand messages in my trash folder.  I have tried selecting all, shift delete and just delete after selecting, and I don’t seem to be able to get rid of them.  Sometimes it just sits there and I can type Windows key+m and it will go to the desktop.  But, when I alt+tab that folder is still there and JAWS says deleted mail.  The mail client is Windows 10 Mail  with JAWS 21.  I have only had this laptop for a few months, and am trying to get use to it.  Thanks for any help. 

Ms. Kirtley

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.