Re: Send Space & Free Downloads

Gene

I used to advise what you are discussing and I still would except that I found out about a simpler way. 

Instead of turning off JAVA script and Active X controls if you are using Internet Explorer, or JAVA script with any other browser, treat the download button as though it is a link.  it actually is a link, coded to appear as a button.

Don’t activate the button.  Open the context menu and use save target as or whatever your browser calls it, it may be called ssave link as.  When you find it and press enter on it in the context menu, a download dialog will come up and you won’t be exposed to any advertising.

If you are using JAWS, you may not bbe able to work with the link if you use the context menu key because of an alignment bug.  If you stay in the virtual pc cursor and use the right click mouse command, if you are on the button, the context menu will open for the button.  If you use the context menu key, you may work with something you aren’t on.  This isn’t necessary with NVDA.  I haven’t used JAWS for years and this bug may have been corrected but I wouldn’t count on it.  It was present for many years when I was using JAWS.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 5:14 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Send Space & Free Downloads

Hi All,

In the past it was advised to turn off JAVA scripts in browsers other than IE, and in IE it was advised to stop Active X Controls from
running & turn off JAVA scripts when downloading from Send Space using a free account.

What advice is there for downloading from Send Space using a free account with chromium browsers?  I cancelled my pro Send Space account last year because it seemed to be broke more often than working.  I don't download very often , and I'm using Chrome or Brave as my default browser, so would someone please advise as to the safety with downloading using a free account?  All input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks mooy moocho.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.