thunderbird help needed

heather albright

Hello, I downloaded a fresh copy of thunderbird it is 78.4.0 64 bit. I went to the update manager in the about page and it seems to not have any updates is this correct? I have to start over as I believe my profiles were corrupted when I tried to install them with the new copy, I had the same issues. So this is my second try to redo thunderbird.  Is this the most current version now? Thanks Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2021 11:00 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] thunderbird help needed

Yes, I will back it up for sure. Thank you for all the help. Heather

Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2021 3:51 AM

I doubt you did anything.  It may be that the update itself didn’t go properly.  It usually doesn’t happen but things go wrong sometimes with all sorts of things.  I assume you saw my messages and will keep a copy of the program as a backup to guard against possible problems in future.

Gene

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 10:50 PM

Okay, thanks everyone, I truly appreciate all the help. I plan on deleting the portable copy and reinstalling it again. I have the profiles folder saved so I can put it back. I just hate not knowing what exactly happened to make my thunderbird go hay wire after it updated. I just wanted to know so I do not do it again in the future.I hope the profiles are okay. It was a real pain with google to add 2 accounts and I cant remember what we did to add the second one to thunderbird. I was trying to find my notes on it tonight and could not find them with the steps. So I hope tomorrow is another day where my brain works better than today, smils! Heather

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 6:51 PM

Whatever you do, after you solve the problem, back up the portable program.  That’s one of the important reasons to use the portable version.  If anything becomes corrupted, you don’t have to do any trouble shooting.  Just delete the program and copy the folder from the backup location to where you have the folder you are working in now.

As far as how to remove a portable program, it isn’t installed.  Just delete the folder and you will have deleted the program.

There is an installer but it doesn’t install the program.  It places it on your machine, that is, it creates the folders and places the files in them but it doesn’t actually install the program.  As I said, portable programs aren’t installed.

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 6:38 PM

You should back up the existing copy of Thunderbird portable before it updates and in general, it’s a good idea to have it backed up so all your settings are maintained and you don’t have to do any setup if you decided to replace the existing copy. 

Do you have a backup of an older version that you can place where the current version is  now?  In other words, if you have a backup, delete the folder of the program you are using and copy the backup to the location you run the program from.

If you don’t have a backup, I’m not sure about how you would downgrade.  Others may be able to advise you.  I’m going to let my current version update and see if I have any problems.  Meantime do you see such things as menus in the program?  Do you see the folders treeview?  What don’t you see, the messages list?  It may be that with more information, we can solve the problem without downgrading or using an older version.

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 3:02 PM

I apologized I am using thunder bird portable, not the installed program, did not know if this made a difference? Thank You Heather 

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 2:56 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] thunderbird help needed

I can write a message in thunderbird using the keyboard keystrokes but, I am unable to access my messages after the update. IS there something I should do to make look like it did  before the update? Or can I downgrade to the last version before it updated? I am using my old app the windows mail app. I want my thunderbird back. Thank you Heather

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.