From: Gene
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2021 6:19 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] question about a new internal drive

I’m not saying you should have a tech perform a diagnostic, it may cost as much or less to replace the drive.  But you don’t know if the drive is the problem.

I don’t know how many things may cause a blue screen and I wouldn’t jump to any conclusion about what it is.  So the question is whether you want to gamble and replace the drive, or perhaps spend more money for the combined cost of a diagnostic and then proceeding to do what needs to be done which may add up to more than the cost of just replacing the drive.  But if you are wrong and the drive isn’t the problem, you are spending money for nothing and losing it that way.  So you are gambling.

Memory contact problems may cause blue screens.  I would imagine power supply problems may cause them.  there may be many other reasons I don’t know about that those with more technical knowledge can tell you.

Also, if your computer is seven years old, you are putting money into a machine that has ;past the age where it is considered reliable.  You may fix one thing and have other problems.  If you are lucky, you won’t for years.  If you aren’t, you will have problems and you may have been better off just buying a new machine.  My impression is that many people won’t spend much money on machines of your age.

While I’m not telling you or suggesting that you do or don’t do anything, I am saying that the subject needs more discussion and consideration on the list.  Don’t jump to conclusions about what causes problems with ssignificantly insufficient information.

Also, since we don’t know what the problem is, but in case it is a hard drive problem, is your entire system backed up?

Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2021 5:25 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] question about a new internal drive

Well the man upstairs likes to try my patience I gather as I got the blue screen this morning off my desktop. But, I was finally able to get in to windows, I guess I just will not shut down my pc for the time being.So I am looking in to another internal c drive to replace this 1, it is about seven years old. So do the internal drives come with a bracket with the drive? I am asking as I know the newer drives maybe smaller than my old drive. The drive just slides in to my pc I think it has 2 screws that hold it in in the top bay of my desktop casing. My computer desktop already has wires to give power to the drive. Thanks Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10