Re: Attention Quenten especially, about sending the NVDA log for tech support

Gene

I’m not sure what you are describing as the dialog reading altogether.  I have seen this or that interface where NVDA reads it improperly in that it reads most of it and you can’t stop the reading.  If you wait for the reading to finish and then move in the interface, such as tabbing, if appropriate, you can hear each field read as you move to it.  I’m not sure what you are hearing but whatever it is, let speech speak if it is without you moving, then when it finishes, tab and see if you hear the field you are in being read.  At this point, I can’t tell if there is a problem with NVDA or what the problem might be.  The interfaces I’ve seen read incorrectly in this way are installers now and then and a dialog-like interface in this or that program but NVDA should never have such a problem when reading its own dialogs.

Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2021 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Attention Quenten especially, about sending the NVDA log for tech support

Okay, I pressed NVDA + ctrl + g, but allI was able to do with confidence was to select English from the list of languages.  The rest of the dialog mostly read as "ALTOGETHER".

Is it hard to communicate, even with hearing aids?  Visit
www.CochlearAmericas.com

On Jun 2, 2021, at 9:50 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

There wasn't NVDA+control+t in the steps I gave you - NVDA+control+g (G for golf) opens NVDA's general settings - just like press NVDA+n, then p then enter).  The other one with three keys was NVDA+control+c (C for charlie) to save settings, which again you can do another way, NVDA+n, then down arrow to save settings and enter.

There is telephone support you can get from our shop either on its own by the half hour block, or as part of the NVDA Productivity Bundle: https://www.nvaccess.org/product/nvda-telephone-support/

Otherwise you get me here - I'm live, just slow :)

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 12:25 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
Its g, not t.  If something doesn’t work in a case like this, check a letter if one is given.  Move to the letter and press numpad 2 two times quickly.  The second press will tell you the letter phonetically like gulf for g.

Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2021 9:11 PM

I tried the caps lock and the numeric insert NVDA key+ ctrl+t, but so far it did not respond.  Does this mean that I must first successfully install it?  That's where I'm stuck so far.  Is there a way that I can get free live help?

Thanks,

Hi Sharon,

No problem, here are the steps:

First of all, your NVDA key is either INSERT or CAPS LOCK, depending on how you have NVDA setup.  So, to set your log level:
1) Press NVDA+control+g to open the general settings
2) Press TAB until the focus is on 'Log level'
3) Press DOWN ARROW to get to 'Debug'
4) Press ENTER to close settings
5) Press NVDA+control+c to save settings.

To restart NVDA with add-ons disabled:
1) Press NVDA+Q
2) Down arrow to 'Restart with add-ons disabled'
3) Press ENTER

Next, recreate the issue - do whatever causes problems.

To get NVDA's log after that, there are several ways:

If NVDA is still running and usable:
1) Press NVDA+F1 to open the log viewer
2) Press CONTROL+A to select all.
3) Press CONTROL+C to copy.
4) Open your email and start a message to info@..., type a little about what you have done and what has happened in the body of the message, then leave a space and:
5) Press CONTROL+V to paste the copied log.

Instead of using the log viewer, or if NVDA has stopped and you needed to restart it or the computer:
1) Press WINDOWS+R to open Windows' Run dialog
2) Type %temp% and press ENTER (that's the percent sign, the letter t e m p and another percent sign).  Windows Explorer should open to the temporary folder.
3) Press TAB to move to the file list
4) Press N and move down to find up to three files:  nvda.log (the log file for the current or most recent NVDA session), nvda-old.log (the log from the previous session) and nvda-crash.dmp (a crash dump with more information created if NVDA itself crashes).
5) Depending on what email program you use, the steps will be different, but attach as many of those three files to an email to info@... as will be useful, and again in the body of the message describe a bit about what has happened.

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 7:01 AM Sharon Hooley <shooley42@...> wrote:
Hi,

I was asked to send the log for NVDA to help resolve the issue of  the buttons not reading properly for installation, but I deleted that message.  I'm ready to take care of that now, so, if you don't mind, can you please send again the steps for finding and sending it?

Thanks,

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager