Date   

NVDA In-Process blog post and a discount on our Basic Training for NVDA

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi everyone,

I've just published this week's In-Process, it's the mostly-fortnightly NV Access blog.  This week we feature all the details on the newly released NVDA 2021.1 Beta 3, information about where add-ons are at for NVDA 2021.1 (it's good!), and updates to not one but two training modules - with a discount for Basic Training.


Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Re: checked icons

chris judge
 

HI. Go to your windows start menu and type file explorer options. Press enter. Control tab once, then tab in to the tree view of options. Press the letter U. You should hear, use check boxes to select items. Press spacebar to uncheck. Tab to the ok button and press enter.

 

Cheers.

Chris Judge

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kimsan via groups.io
Sent: June 17, 2021 2:41 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] checked icons

 

Hi,

Every icon I cursor over is saying checked, and I completely forgot where to turn that off using windows 10, can someone help?

Thank you.


Re: Recommendations for a new laptop

chris judge
 

Hi Kathy. I have never seen the value in a touch screen for a blind user, so getting a 2 in 1 laptop, especially if you have to pay more, would not be my recommendation. Regarding the solid state drive, I would not go less than 512 gig. You can always use external storage devices for data.

 

Chris Judge

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kathy Pingstock
Sent: June 16, 2021 4:15 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

How big should the state Drive be and what our opinions about the two and one laptops

 

Kathy



On Jun 16, 2021, at 12:10 PM, Howard Traxler <htraxler7@...> wrote:

 You say:
Microsoft doesn’t make the next version of Windows markedly more demanding than the last version. 

Look at history
MS DOS
Windows 2.5
Windows 3.1
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows ME
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8
and Windows 10

Seems to me that each step (almost) required all new hardware.

On 6/16/2021 11:04 AM, Gene wrote:

I mean that, as far as I know, Microsoft doesn’t make the next version of Windows markedly more demanding than the last version. 

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 11:00 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

I don’t know how much more you spend for 16GB of RAM but I see no reason to worry about Windows 11.  Microsoft doesn’t go around making new versions markedly more demanding.  And has anyone reliable who writes technical articles said that Windows 11 will require more ram or computing power?  While I don’t follow these things, at the same time, I have seen nothing indicating that people who had machines that ran Windows 8 needed more powerful machines to run Windows 10. 

 

I don’t know how much more you spend for 16GB of RAM when buying a new machine and having the extra RAM added.  If it is a small amount like twenty-five or thirty dollars, it isn’t worth worrying about mmuchif at all for a lot of people. 

 

I’m not particularly concerned with the amouhnt of RAM except in the context of what I consider the very questionable generalization about future proofing a machine.  though I also am commenting because I just don’t think a typical computer user needs more or will benefit significantly more by adding ram. 

 

also, it is my impression that Windows 10 handles memory more efficiently than Windows 8 did.  I’m challenging the idea that you need to spend more money and go beyond specifications that work well today to future pproof a machine.  Many considerations enter into the question.  How do you intend to use the machine?  How much do you care about speed?  What sorts of changes in Windows and programs can accurately be predicted that will make your computer not be able to work with software over many years and Windows as it changes?  And how much more money are we talking about? 

 

And to explain my point further, if you apply the future proof argument or extrapolation to other areas, what are the results?  Do you end up advocating a much more powerful processor than that which works well now with Windows 10?  In the end, adding, with all these upgrades, 100 dollars, or 150 dollars to the price of a machine.  A little here and a little there and you may be talking about enough money to matter to people who want to be careful or reasonably careful about how much they spend.

 

I really doubt that Microsoft is going to create the kind of bad will and anger among its customers by making Windows 11 require enough more computer resources to make a lot of users’ machines obsolete or require them to spend money to upgrade their machines.

 

In short, my main point is that once you start applying the future proof argument, where does it lead and how much money is involved? 

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 10:29 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

Plus with Windows 11coming out, we don’t know the hardware requirements of that OS yet. Nor do we know  if JAWS will have new hard where requirements either.

I agree with Chris completely on this.

I’d go with 16GB to be safe.

My opinion is you don’t buy a laptop minimal specs just to last a year or two. You buy enough that will carry  you thru for a while.

I’d also go with a Core I5 11th gen.

Do you just want a clamshell laptop or w would you like to have it convert over to a tablet?

Is a keyboard with a  NumLock important to you?

John

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 9:41 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

Hi Kathy.

 

In my experience, as one who uses jaws and the Microsoft office suite all the time, I can state that the two features that will make you happy are a solid state hard drive, and 16 gig of ram. Sure it is true that 8 gig will suffice, but I have 16 ram and solid state hard drives in all of my computers now and they work great. The difference in cost between 8 gig of ram and 16 gig is almost negligible.

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kathy Pingstock
Sent: June 16, 2021 10:23 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

I will not be traveling with my laptop. I am doing a ministry through our church so I use the Internet a lot. I also print out braille so I have a Duxberry program and of course I use the latest jaws I just wanted to make sure that I have enough memory in my computer for it to last me for a little bit I also like to keep books on my computer because I download from bard as well

I do not want a slow computer

 

Kathy Sent from my iPhone

 

On Jun 15, 2021, at 9:04 PM, John Holcomb II <jhii926@...> wrote:



What do you do with your laptop? How much is your budget?

Will you be traveling a lot with this and need a good  battery ?

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kathy Pingstock
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 2:11 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

Good afternoon to all

 

I need to purchase a new laptop, I need help with how much memory and everything I need for my laptop I use the latest jaws  and I use office products I’d like to do the Internet as well I’m not good at this part when it comes to purchasing a laptop and everything I should have in it

 

 

Kathy

 


Re: Recommendations for a new laptop

chris judge
 

Hi. Just curious, but are you using jaws or NVDA? Are you using the Microsoft office suite, word, outlook, teams etc?

 

Chris Judge

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Wohlgamuth
Sent: June 16, 2021 4:29 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

Hi there Folks!

I am essentially running the same system with the exception of a newer video card that I was running with windows 7. I have only 4 GB ram and aside from it taking a bit longer in programs like Thunderbird I notice no real difference. So I do agree with Gene here in that microsoft doesn't set out to force folks to upgrade their systems by updating windows. I strongly believe the reason for having more powerful machines has to do with the software and how it is designed. Just My 2-sense worth, whatever that might be worth these days<SMILE!>. Catch Ya All Later!

de 

On 16-Jun-21 12:10, Howard Traxler wrote:

You say:
Microsoft doesn’t make the next version of Windows markedly more demanding than the last version. 

Look at history
MS DOS
Windows 2.5
Windows 3.1
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows ME
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8
and Windows 10

Seems to me that each step (almost) required all new hardware.

On 6/16/2021 11:04 AM, Gene wrote:

I mean that, as far as I know, Microsoft doesn’t make the next version of Windows markedly more demanding than the last version. 

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 11:00 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

I don’t know how much more you spend for 16GB of RAM but I see no reason to worry about Windows 11.  Microsoft doesn’t go around making new versions markedly more demanding.  And has anyone reliable who writes technical articles said that Windows 11 will require more ram or computing power?  While I don’t follow these things, at the same time, I have seen nothing indicating that people who had machines that ran Windows 8 needed more powerful machines to run Windows 10. 

 

I don’t know how much more you spend for 16GB of RAM when buying a new machine and having the extra RAM added.  If it is a small amount like twenty-five or thirty dollars, it isn’t worth worrying about mmuchif at all for a lot of people. 

 

I’m not particularly concerned with the amouhnt of RAM except in the context of what I consider the very questionable generalization about future proofing a machine.  though I also am commenting because I just don’t think a typical computer user needs more or will benefit significantly more by adding ram. 

 

also, it is my impression that Windows 10 handles memory more efficiently than Windows 8 did.  I’m challenging the idea that you need to spend more money and go beyond specifications that work well today to future pproof a machine.  Many considerations enter into the question.  How do you intend to use the machine?  How much do you care about speed?  What sorts of changes in Windows and programs can accurately be predicted that will make your computer not be able to work with software over many years and Windows as it changes?  And how much more money are we talking about? 

 

And to explain my point further, if you apply the future proof argument or extrapolation to other areas, what are the results?  Do you end up advocating a much more powerful processor than that which works well now with Windows 10?  In the end, adding, with all these upgrades, 100 dollars, or 150 dollars to the price of a machine.  A little here and a little there and you may be talking about enough money to matter to people who want to be careful or reasonably careful about how much they spend.

 

I really doubt that Microsoft is going to create the kind of bad will and anger among its customers by making Windows 11 require enough more computer resources to make a lot of users’ machines obsolete or require them to spend money to upgrade their machines.

 

In short, my main point is that once you start applying the future proof argument, where does it lead and how much money is involved? 

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 10:29 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

Plus with Windows 11coming out, we don’t know the hardware requirements of that OS yet. Nor do we know  if JAWS will have new hard where requirements either.

I agree with Chris completely on this.

I’d go with 16GB to be safe.

My opinion is you don’t buy a laptop minimal specs just to last a year or two. You buy enough that will carry  you thru for a while.

I’d also go with a Core I5 11th gen.

Do you just want a clamshell laptop or w would you like to have it convert over to a tablet?

Is a keyboard with a  NumLock important to you?

John

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 9:41 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

Hi Kathy.

 

In my experience, as one who uses jaws and the Microsoft office suite all the time, I can state that the two features that will make you happy are a solid state hard drive, and 16 gig of ram. Sure it is true that 8 gig will suffice, but I have 16 ram and solid state hard drives in all of my computers now and they work great. The difference in cost between 8 gig of ram and 16 gig is almost negligible.

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kathy Pingstock
Sent: June 16, 2021 10:23 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

I will not be traveling with my laptop. I am doing a ministry through our church so I use the Internet a lot. I also print out braille so I have a Duxberry program and of course I use the latest jaws I just wanted to make sure that I have enough memory in my computer for it to last me for a little bit I also like to keep books on my computer because I download from bard as well

I do not want a slow computer

 

Kathy Sent from my iPhone

 

On Jun 15, 2021, at 9:04 PM, John Holcomb II <jhii926@...> wrote:



What do you do with your laptop? How much is your budget?

Will you be traveling a lot with this and need a good  battery ?

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kathy Pingstock
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 2:11 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

Good afternoon to all

 

I need to purchase a new laptop, I need help with how much memory and everything I need for my laptop I use the latest jaws  and I use office products I’d like to do the Internet as well I’m not good at this part when it comes to purchasing a laptop and everything I should have in it

 

 

Kathy

 


Re: Recommendations for a new laptop

chris judge
 

Hi. This is precisely why I stated yesterday that I was basing my recommendation on experience, not on stuff I read.

 

Chris Judge

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: June 16, 2021 3:47 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

I've seen different statements.  I've seen a number of articles online saying it makes little difference for computer use as a typical user uses it, and I've seen statements on lists saying it makes a general difference.

 

I'd like to try the same machine with 8 and 16GB of RAM but I don't expect to be able to try that test. 

 

I like a computer that is reasonably fast but I'm not particularly concerned with a little faster or slower performance.  Most of my time is used by working with programs or doing things where speed doesn't matter to any extent like streaming or listening to audio, browsing or working with e-mail.  that means I am using most of my time doing something like reading, writing, or listening..  I don't care if something like a file opens a second or two faster or slower or if a player starts to play in two or three seconds or one second. 

 

Other people may care about such differences, but are these the kinds of differences we are discussing? 

 

Since RAM isn't very expensive now, I'm discussing this quite a bit from interest.  Some people may want to save forty or fifty dollars and others may not care much.  Still, I think it should be clarified what we are talking about.

 

Gene

On 6/16/2021 12:53 PM, Brian Zolo wrote:

Hey there, Gene, Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio.  I must respectfully disagree when it comes to the question of 8 gigs versus 16 gigs and jaws with windows ten.  I’ve been an employee of the department of defense now for 35 and one half years and in the work arena, jaws as well as your apps perform much better with 16 gigs of ram than with 8 gigs of ram and I’ve found the same with my home laptops.  The extra ram pays off with better performance.  Have a great day!  BZ!

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 12:00 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

I don’t know how much more you spend for 16GB of RAM but I see no reason to worry about Windows 11.  Microsoft doesn’t go around making new versions markedly more demanding.  And has anyone reliable who writes technical articles said that Windows 11 will require more ram or computing power?  While I don’t follow these things, at the same time, I have seen nothing indicating that people who had machines that ran Windows 8 needed more powerful machines to run Windows 10. 

 

I don’t know how much more you spend for 16GB of RAM when buying a new machine and having the extra RAM added.  If it is a small amount like twenty-five or thirty dollars, it isn’t worth worrying about mmuchif at all for a lot of people. 

 

I’m not particularly concerned with the amouhnt of RAM except in the context of what I consider the very questionable generalization about future proofing a machine.  though I also am commenting because I just don’t think a typical computer user needs more or will benefit significantly more by adding ram. 

 

also, it is my impression that Windows 10 handles memory more efficiently than Windows 8 did.  I’m challenging the idea that you need to spend more money and go beyond specifications that work well today to future pproof a machine.  Many considerations enter into the question.  How do you intend to use the machine?  How much do you care about speed?  What sorts of changes in Windows and programs can accurately be predicted that will make your computer not be able to work with software over many years and Windows as it changes?  And how much more money are we talking about? 

 

And to explain my point further, if you apply the future proof argument or extrapolation to other areas, what are the results?  Do you end up advocating a much more powerful processor than that which works well now with Windows 10?  In the end, adding, with all these upgrades, 100 dollars, or 150 dollars to the price of a machine.  A little here and a little there and you may be talking about enough money to matter to people who want to be careful or reasonably careful about how much they spend.

 

I really doubt that Microsoft is going to create the kind of bad will and anger among its customers by making Windows 11 require enough more computer resources to make a lot of users’ machines obsolete or require them to spend money to upgrade their machines.

 

In short, my main point is that once you start applying the future proof argument, where does it lead and how much money is involved? 

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 10:29 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

Plus with Windows 11coming out, we don’t know the hardware requirements of that OS yet. Nor do we know  if JAWS will have new hard where requirements either.

I agree with Chris completely on this.

I’d go with 16GB to be safe.

My opinion is you don’t buy a laptop minimal specs just to last a year or two. You buy enough that will carry  you thru for a while.

I’d also go with a Core I5 11th gen.

Do you just want a clamshell laptop or w would you like to have it convert over to a tablet?

Is a keyboard with a  NumLock important to you?

John

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 9:41 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

Hi Kathy.

 

In my experience, as one who uses jaws and the Microsoft office suite all the time, I can state that the two features that will make you happy are a solid state hard drive, and 16 gig of ram. Sure it is true that 8 gig will suffice, but I have 16 ram and solid state hard drives in all of my computers now and they work great. The difference in cost between 8 gig of ram and 16 gig is almost negligible.

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kathy Pingstock
Sent: June 16, 2021 10:23 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

I will not be traveling with my laptop. I am doing a ministry through our church so I use the Internet a lot. I also print out braille so I have a Duxberry program and of course I use the latest jaws I just wanted to make sure that I have enough memory in my computer for it to last me for a little bit I also like to keep books on my computer because I download from bard as well

I do not want a slow computer

 

Kathy Sent from my iPhone

 

On Jun 15, 2021, at 9:04 PM, John Holcomb II <jhii926@...> wrote:



What do you do with your laptop? How much is your budget?

Will you be traveling a lot with this and need a good  battery ?

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kathy Pingstock
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 2:11 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

Good afternoon to all

 

I need to purchase a new laptop, I need help with how much memory and everything I need for my laptop I use the latest jaws  and I use office products I’d like to do the Internet as well I’m not good at this part when it comes to purchasing a laptop and everything I should have in it

 

 

Kathy


resolved my issue was RE: [TechTalk] checked icons

Kimsan
 

I know 98% of you already knew the answer. I just forgot since I’ve completely removed myself from being a tech nerd lol. However, these are the directions I used after googling for an hour.

1.      Open Control Panel and select Folder Options.2. When the Folder Options window opens, choose the View tab and scroll down and uncheck “Use check boxes to select items” and click OK.That’s it. No more boxes. From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kimsan via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 10:41 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] checked icons

 

Hi,

Every icon I cursor over is saying checked, and I completely forgot where to turn that off using windows 10, can someone help?

Thank you.


Re: how to get access to an IPad

val and david paul
 

Hi Jan!

I've called the charity who are dealing with the distribution of the ipads, and am waiting on them getting back to me, but so far, no luck.

I'll try using my email addresss.


Val.

On 16/06/2021 21:57, Janet wrote:
Hi Val,
Can you call the person who set the phone up, and ask him what he used as the password or Apple id?
Do you have an email address? If so, try using that At least that might solve your Appple Id question, so you can give that to Apple when you call them to tell them you don't know the password or the security code.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of val and david paul
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 1:22 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] how to get access to an IPad

Hi!

I was also given an ipad which had already been set up, this was given
to all vulnerable customers in Scotland by the government.

Unfortunately the guy who set it up, did not give me an apple i.d or
password.

Ofcourse, when I had an update recently, I couldn't sign back in.

Help on this would be appreciated.


Val.

On 16/06/2021 00:26, Nancy Hill wrote:
Ashley, I hit CTRL R so I hope this goes only to you.


Thanks,

nancy

On 6/15/2021 7:04 PM, Ashley Breger via groups.io wrote:
Hello, if you want to contact me off list I would be happy to give
you instructions on how to gain access to the iPad. Email me back off
the list for assistance with this problem

Ashley

On Jun 15, 2021, at 5:56 PM, Nancy Hill <girlyscream@comcast.net>
wrote:

Group,


I have a good friend whose Mom passed away unexpectedly last year.
In going through her things she found an I Pad that is fairly new,
but she can not gain access to it.


What must my friend do to be able to gain access to this almost new
IPad?


Thanks for your help and advice.


nancy
















checked icons

Kimsan
 

Hi,

Every icon I cursor over is saying checked, and I completely forgot where to turn that off using windows 10, can someone help?

Thank you.


Re: a white cane question

Victor
 

Hi Nancy:

Thank you for the information. I will probably stick with my folding cane. It doesn’t sound like I would want to use a telescopic cane all the time.

Thanks again,

Victor

On Jun 16, 2021, at 10:33 PM, Nancy Hill <girlyscream@comcast.net> wrote:


victor, the cane I have is one of those

telescopic ones and because it is so lite I would only use it to 'look around' if and when I had a reason. It is only my security cane. Before I got Nelly I used a folding cane.

nancy

On 6/17/2021 1:13 AM, Victor wrote:
Are there any good collapsible canes out there? I’m not talking about the folding ones. I’m talking about the telescopic ones. The ones that are kind of like an antenna. I’ve only put my hands on one and that was a long time ago. But I have heard that these telescoping canes break very easily.

Victor
On Jun 16, 2021, at 10:08 PM, Nancy Hill <girlyscream@comcast.net> wrote:
Almost every time I go out with husband or friend. I have my Seeing Eye Dog, Nelly and for 'just in case' I always carry a collapseable carbon fiber cane in side my purse.


I don't know how to do it, but could someone advise how to check if the cord that works a folding cane could be shortened to add to the solid feel of the cane while in use?

nancy




On 6/17/2021 12:13 AM, Victor wrote:
I usually take my cane wherever I go as well. I didn’t when I was younger, but I find myself doing it more now just to be on the safe side.

Victor
On Jun 16, 2021, at 8:02 PM, Troy Burnham <troyburnham34@gmail.com> wrote:
Monty,


This cane is 3 sections like the others I've had over the years, but as I said the shaft of this cane is just slightly bigger around than the others I've had. Maybe the elastic cord inside the shaft is slightly looser than I'm used to and that's what causes it to not seem quite as solid as my past canes have been. It may not be as fragile as it seems to be, I'm just used to the sections fitting together more snugly than this.


Troy


On 6/16/2021 6:41 PM, Monte Single wrote:
Hi Troy,
Mostof the canes I have seen are
4 sections which fit together quite snugly with and heavy, inner elastic chord.
They definitely do not fall apart.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: June 16, 2021 5:27 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] a white cane question

Hi all,


I don't use a white cane much because when I go somewhere I'm almost always with somebody sighted and I walk sighted guide with them. I do have a cane though, one that an O&M instructor gave me, and it's slightly bigger around than any other cane I've ever had and the 3 sections fit together very loosely. Is that the way all canes are made these days?


I won't try to replace this one because I do use it so seldom, but when I unfold the cane and put the joints together they seem loose enough to me that one of the joints may snap if I get the cane stuck in a crack or in some other obstacle.


Thanks.


Troy


















Re: a white cane question

Nancy Hill
 

victor, the cane I have is one of those

telescopic ones and because it is so lite I would only use it to 'look around' if and when I had a reason. It is only my security cane. Before I got Nelly I used a folding cane.

nancy

On 6/17/2021 1:13 AM, Victor wrote:
Are there any good collapsible canes out there? I’m not talking about the folding ones. I’m talking about the telescopic ones. The ones that are kind of like an antenna. I’ve only put my hands on one and that was a long time ago. But I have heard that these telescoping canes break very easily.

Victor
On Jun 16, 2021, at 10:08 PM, Nancy Hill <girlyscream@comcast.net> wrote:

Almost every time I go out with husband or friend. I have my Seeing Eye Dog, Nelly and for 'just in case' I always carry a collapseable carbon fiber cane in side my purse.


I don't know how to do it, but could someone advise how to check if the cord that works a folding cane could be shortened to add to the solid feel of the cane while in use?

nancy




On 6/17/2021 12:13 AM, Victor wrote:
I usually take my cane wherever I go as well. I didn’t when I was younger, but I find myself doing it more now just to be on the safe side.

Victor
On Jun 16, 2021, at 8:02 PM, Troy Burnham <troyburnham34@gmail.com> wrote:
Monty,


This cane is 3 sections like the others I've had over the years, but as I said the shaft of this cane is just slightly bigger around than the others I've had. Maybe the elastic cord inside the shaft is slightly looser than I'm used to and that's what causes it to not seem quite as solid as my past canes have been. It may not be as fragile as it seems to be, I'm just used to the sections fitting together more snugly than this.


Troy


On 6/16/2021 6:41 PM, Monte Single wrote:
Hi Troy,
Mostof the canes I have seen are
4 sections which fit together quite snugly with and heavy, inner elastic chord.
They definitely do not fall apart.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: June 16, 2021 5:27 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] a white cane question

Hi all,


I don't use a white cane much because when I go somewhere I'm almost always with somebody sighted and I walk sighted guide with them. I do have a cane though, one that an O&M instructor gave me, and it's slightly bigger around than any other cane I've ever had and the 3 sections fit together very loosely. Is that the way all canes are made these days?


I won't try to replace this one because I do use it so seldom, but when I unfold the cane and put the joints together they seem loose enough to me that one of the joints may snap if I get the cane stuck in a crack or in some other obstacle.


Thanks.


Troy















Re: a white cane question

Victor
 

Are there any good collapsible canes out there? I’m not talking about the folding ones. I’m talking about the telescopic ones. The ones that are kind of like an antenna. I’ve only put my hands on one and that was a long time ago. But I have heard that these telescoping canes break very easily.

Victor

On Jun 16, 2021, at 10:08 PM, Nancy Hill <girlyscream@comcast.net> wrote:

Almost every time I go out with husband or friend. I have my Seeing Eye Dog, Nelly and for 'just in case' I always carry a collapseable carbon fiber cane in side my purse.


I don't know how to do it, but could someone advise how to check if the cord that works a folding cane could be shortened to add to the solid feel of the cane while in use?

nancy




On 6/17/2021 12:13 AM, Victor wrote:
I usually take my cane wherever I go as well. I didn’t when I was younger, but I find myself doing it more now just to be on the safe side.

Victor
On Jun 16, 2021, at 8:02 PM, Troy Burnham <troyburnham34@gmail.com> wrote:
Monty,


This cane is 3 sections like the others I've had over the years, but as I said the shaft of this cane is just slightly bigger around than the others I've had. Maybe the elastic cord inside the shaft is slightly looser than I'm used to and that's what causes it to not seem quite as solid as my past canes have been. It may not be as fragile as it seems to be, I'm just used to the sections fitting together more snugly than this.


Troy


On 6/16/2021 6:41 PM, Monte Single wrote:
Hi Troy,
Mostof the canes I have seen are
4 sections which fit together quite snugly with and heavy, inner elastic chord.
They definitely do not fall apart.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: June 16, 2021 5:27 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] a white cane question

Hi all,


I don't use a white cane much because when I go somewhere I'm almost always with somebody sighted and I walk sighted guide with them. I do have a cane though, one that an O&M instructor gave me, and it's slightly bigger around than any other cane I've ever had and the 3 sections fit together very loosely. Is that the way all canes are made these days?


I won't try to replace this one because I do use it so seldom, but when I unfold the cane and put the joints together they seem loose enough to me that one of the joints may snap if I get the cane stuck in a crack or in some other obstacle.


Thanks.


Troy

















Re: a white cane question

Nancy Hill
 

Almost every time I go out with husband or friend.  I have my Seeing Eye Dog, Nelly and for 'just in case' I always carry a collapseable carbon fiber cane in side my purse.


I don't know how to do it, but could someone advise how to check if the cord that works a folding cane could be  shortened to add to the solid feel of the cane while in use?

nancy

On 6/17/2021 12:13 AM, Victor wrote:
I usually take my cane wherever I go as well. I didn’t when I was younger, but I find myself doing it more now just to be on the safe side.

Victor
On Jun 16, 2021, at 8:02 PM, Troy Burnham <troyburnham34@gmail.com> wrote:

Monty,


This cane is 3 sections like the others I've had over the years, but as I said the shaft of this cane is just slightly bigger around than the others I've had. Maybe the elastic cord inside the shaft is slightly looser than I'm used to and that's what causes it to not seem quite as solid as my past canes have been. It may not be as fragile as it seems to be, I'm just used to the sections fitting together more snugly than this.


Troy


On 6/16/2021 6:41 PM, Monte Single wrote:
Hi Troy,
Mostof the canes I have seen are
4 sections which fit together quite snugly with and heavy, inner elastic chord.
They definitely do not fall apart.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: June 16, 2021 5:27 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] a white cane question

Hi all,


I don't use a white cane much because when I go somewhere I'm almost always with somebody sighted and I walk sighted guide with them. I do have a cane though, one that an O&M instructor gave me, and it's slightly bigger around than any other cane I've ever had and the 3 sections fit together very loosely. Is that the way all canes are made these days?


I won't try to replace this one because I do use it so seldom, but when I unfold the cane and put the joints together they seem loose enough to me that one of the joints may snap if I get the cane stuck in a crack or in some other obstacle.


Thanks.


Troy














Re: a white cane question

Victor
 

I usually take my cane wherever I go as well. I didn’t when I was younger, but I find myself doing it more now just to be on the safe side.

Victor

On Jun 16, 2021, at 8:02 PM, Troy Burnham <troyburnham34@gmail.com> wrote:

Monty,


This cane is 3 sections like the others I've had over the years, but as I said the shaft of this cane is just slightly bigger around than the others I've had. Maybe the elastic cord inside the shaft is slightly looser than I'm used to and that's what causes it to not seem quite as solid as my past canes have been. It may not be as fragile as it seems to be, I'm just used to the sections fitting together more snugly than this.


Troy


On 6/16/2021 6:41 PM, Monte Single wrote:
Hi Troy,
Mostof the canes I have seen are
4 sections which fit together quite snugly with and heavy, inner elastic chord.
They definitely do not fall apart.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: June 16, 2021 5:27 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] a white cane question

Hi all,


I don't use a white cane much because when I go somewhere I'm almost always with somebody sighted and I walk sighted guide with them. I do have a cane though, one that an O&M instructor gave me, and it's slightly bigger around than any other cane I've ever had and the 3 sections fit together very loosely. Is that the way all canes are made these days?


I won't try to replace this one because I do use it so seldom, but when I unfold the cane and put the joints together they seem loose enough to me that one of the joints may snap if I get the cane stuck in a crack or in some other obstacle.


Thanks.


Troy














Re: removing an email profile outlook 2016

Thomas N. Chan
 

Can you go to
control panel
then to mail (Microsoft Outlook)
the first option you should find is email. 
by default, it will open your your default profile
it will list all your email in that profile you open up.
you can find it, and remove from there.

else, you can go to send and receive and disable that particular account from downloading emails
Regards,
Thomas N. Chan


On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 at 05:12, Kimsan via groups.io <kimsansong=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

I thought about that but admittedly I need to see how that’s done.

 

Thank you,

Kimsan Song

 

kimsansong@...

Please check out my new EP titled I thought you new here https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mBMfy4DoouhVmDxHqONd4AJHL4d2vft4M

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 1:52 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] removing an email profile outlook 2016

 

I would imagine your e-mail program allows you to tell it not to download messages from the account when synchronizing.  You can leave the account on the machine and have it be completely inactive until you tell Outlook to download mail again.  That will save you the trouble of removing and then setting it up again.

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 3:49 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] removing an email profile outlook 2016

 

Hi,
In outlook 2016, I have four or 5 email accounts set up.
There is one I'd like to remove, which is my work email which I know how to
do, but when I click remove, it says Account Settings
The primary account cannot be removed unless it is the only account
in the profile. You must remove all other Exchange accounts before
removing the primary account.
The other exchange accounts I have are icloud and outlook, but I don't want
to remove those just to remove the primary one simply because I think with
icloud email accounts, doesn't a person need a special password, wait, I
think it was called a secret password and for outlook, I don't remember the
password for when I set it back up.
Am I subjected to removing all accounts or is there a way to delete the
primary one.
The reason why I want to delete the work one, because I'm not back at work
until September.

Thank you,
Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...
Please check out my new EP titled I thought you new here
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mBMfy4DoouhVmDxHqONd4AJHL4d2vft4M






Re: Recommendations for a new laptop

Thomas N. Chan
 

SSD is just a general hardware which replace spinning drives.
It depends on the series of the SSD, some of them comes with better high end NAND chip which make them, read and write faster and of course, higher tolerance. in simple terms, you can write on them more before it fail.
but with the price point nowadays, more is being make. the price of SSD has came down tremendously. 
even for the entry level of SSD, it has higher performance as compared to a spinning drives.

from the market of the new laptop, low end of laptops does not comes with spinning drives any longer. for desktop, they still do but the percentages are much lower than before. 
its a matter of time, spinning drives will get replace in machine and it only being use for external drives.
but from what i see, if the price went down so much, external drives will be using SSD. 
you need not to worry if the spinning platter crashing with the reader or damages when you drop.
i am not saying you will not damage the SSD when you drop it, but it will have higher tolerance if it happen.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan


On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 at 08:00, Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:

Hi John,

 

 

 

I clicked on the link  provided in your message below and listened  to the full article   about  emmc and ssd drives.

Emmc sounds like the kind of thing you’d find in a kindle reader.

 

What kind of drive is now faster than an s s d drive??

 

Thanks,

 

Monte

 

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Holcomb II
Sent: June 16, 2021 2:03 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

Rather then trying to explain it, I’ll trust the good folks at How-To Geek

eMMC vs. SSD: Not All Solid-State Storage is Equal (howtogeek.com)

 

John

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 1:13 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

John,

 

Tell us what an eMMC drive is  and why it should be avoided.

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Holcomb II
Sent: June 16, 2021 10:15 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

However, she should be sure not to get one with an eMMC drive.

Some but not all laptops let  you upgrade the storage and ram options later.

I’m going to assume you’d rather not open it up at any point

Do you want  us to suggest some actual laptops for you?

A great k keyboard typing experience is a m must I’d presume.

John

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 11:43 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

Hi Kathy,

 

A solid state drive has no moving parts. So, unlike the standard hard drives,

---there are no moving parts.

---they do not overheat.

---they use less energy and last longer.

 

These days, they are quite affordable.

Also,  most new laptops now come with a solid state  drive by default.

…and they are faster than  the  traditional mechanical drive.

 

Good brand names are Kingston, crucial, Samsung, etc..

 

I would not purchase a new p c or laptop without a solid state drive.

 

You wrote that you will not  be moving/carrying your  laptop from  place to place, so you can get one that may be a little heavier than  a very lightweight one.

Laptops with a numeric keypad are a little bigger than those without.

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kathy Pingstock


Sent: June 16, 2021 8:56 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

I am a little dumb in this area what is considered a solid-state drive question do you like a certain brand other than another brand question

Kathy

 

 

On Jun 16, 2021, at 9:41 AM, chris judge <chrisjudge1967@...> wrote:



Hi Kathy.

 

In my experience, as one who uses jaws and the Microsoft office suite all the time, I can state that the two features that will make you happy are a solid state hard drive, and 16 gig of ram. Sure it is true that 8 gig will suffice, but I have 16 ram and solid state hard drives in all of my computers now and they work great. The difference in cost between 8 gig of ram and 16 gig is almost negligible.

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kathy Pingstock
Sent: June 16, 2021 10:23 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

I will not be traveling with my laptop. I am doing a ministry through our church so I use the Internet a lot. I also print out braille so I have a Duxberry program and of course I use the latest jaws I just wanted to make sure that I have enough memory in my computer for it to last me for a little bit I also like to keep books on my computer because I download from bard as well

 I do not want a slow computer 

 

Kathy Sent from my iPhone

 

On Jun 15, 2021, at 9:04 PM, John Holcomb II <jhii926@...> wrote:



What do you do with your laptop? How much is your budget?

Will you be traveling a lot with this and need a good  battery ?

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kathy Pingstock
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 2:11 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

Good afternoon to all

 

I need to purchase a new laptop, I need help with how much memory and everything I need for my laptop I use the latest jaws  and I use office products I’d like to do the Internet as well I’m not good at this part when it comes to purchasing a laptop and everything I should have in it

 

 

Kathy 


Re: a white cane question

Troy Burnham
 

Monty,


This cane is 3 sections like the others I've had over the years, but as I said the shaft of this cane is just slightly bigger around than the others I've had. Maybe the elastic cord inside the shaft is slightly looser than I'm used to and that's what causes it to not seem quite as solid as my past canes have been. It may not be as fragile as it seems to be, I'm just used to the sections fitting together more snugly than this.


Troy

On 6/16/2021 6:41 PM, Monte Single wrote:
Hi Troy,
Mostof the canes I have seen are
4 sections which fit together quite snugly with and heavy, inner elastic chord.
They definitely do not fall apart.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: June 16, 2021 5:27 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] a white cane question

Hi all,


I don't use a white cane much because when I go somewhere I'm almost always with somebody sighted and I walk sighted guide with them. I do have a cane though, one that an O&M instructor gave me, and it's slightly bigger around than any other cane I've ever had and the 3 sections fit together very loosely. Is that the way all canes are made these days?


I won't try to replace this one because I do use it so seldom, but when I unfold the cane and put the joints together they seem loose enough to me that one of the joints may snap if I get the cane stuck in a crack or in some other obstacle.


Thanks.


Troy











NVDA password echo

Angelo Sonnesso
 

I am working with a newly blinded individual who has some difficulty with accurate typing.

Is there any way to echo key strokes  in a password field with NVDA?

Thanks

 

73 N2DYN Angelo

 

 


Re: Recommendations for a new laptop

enes sarıbaş
 

This is incorrect. 8 gb is ok, but 16 is even better. With no apps open, my win10 system eats about 5.5 gb. That leaves  very little for anything else if I used 8 gb. True a powerful computer probably isn't required, but an 800-900 or so good laptop is worth it for the responsiveness and pleasant experience. A minimum  of dual channel ram, an SSD, discrete graphics, and an i5/R5.

On 6/16/2021 8:27 AM, Gene wrote:
You don’t need a powerful computer to do what you want to do.  Most computers today come with 8gb of ram and you don’t need more.  You aren’t using any memory intensive applications that might bring you even close to using 8gb of RAM.  I haven’t priced various laptops or kept up with different models for a long time, but I doubt you will have to spend more than five or six hundred dollars to get a laptop that will fill your needs well.  I’ll let others discuss the question further.
 
Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 8:23 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop
 
I will not be traveling with my laptop. I am doing a ministry through our church so I use the Internet a lot. I also print out braille so I have a Duxberry program and of course I use the latest jaws I just wanted to make sure that I have enough memory in my computer for it to last me for a little bit I also like to keep books on my computer because I download from bard as well

I do not want a slow computer
 
Kathy Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 15, 2021, at 9:04 PM, John Holcomb II <jhii926@...> wrote:



What do you do with your laptop? How much is your budget?

Will you be traveling a lot with this and need a good  battery ?

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kathy Pingstock
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 2:11 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

Good afternoon to all

 

I need to purchase a new laptop, I need help with how much memory and everything I need for my laptop I use the latest jaws  and I use office products I’d like to do the Internet as well I’m not good at this part when it comes to purchasing a laptop and everything I should have in it

 

 

Kathy


Re: a white cane question

Gene
 

I don’t know if you can generalize.  I haven’t seen a lot of different brands of folding canes.  I’d have to checck on the brand I have.  it is a carbon fiber cane, I believe and the sections are well held to each other by elastic.  I’m not sure if the sections can move a very small bit but if so,, it is almost no movement. 
 
But whether I am out with a sighted person or not, I always have a cane with me where I can get it such as next to my chair.  How do I know if some unexpected emergency might occur and I might have to use it for some reason. 
 
Not having a cane with you means you are giving up the ability to be independent if there is some unexpected reason that makes it either necessary or desirable to be able to do so. 
 
Or it means you are giving up the ability to move when you can tell where you want to go.  if you are in the livingroom and you want to go to the kitchen in an unfamiliar house to join in a conversation, you can hear people talking and know where it is.  But without a cane, you don’t know if you might run into something or knock something down.  With a cane, you can go to the kitchen.  You aren’t going to know where rooms are that don’t give you that sort of auditory information, such as a bathroom.  but you won’t have to get help moving to and in rooms where you can tell where they are from where you are.
 
Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 6:26 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] a white cane question
 
Hi all,


I don't use a white cane much because when I go somewhere I'm almost
always with somebody sighted and I walk sighted guide with them. I do
have a cane though, one that an O&M instructor gave me, and it's
slightly bigger around than any other cane I've ever had and the 3
sections fit together very loosely. Is that the way all canes are made
these days?


I won't try to replace this one because I do use it so seldom, but when
I unfold the cane and put the joints together they seem loose enough to
me that one of the joints may snap if I get the cane stuck in a crack or
in some other obstacle.


Thanks.


Troy







Re: Recommendations for a new laptop

Monte Single
 

Hi John,

 

 

 

I clicked on the link  provided in your message below and listened  to the full article   about  emmc and ssd drives.

Emmc sounds like the kind of thing you’d find in a kindle reader.

 

What kind of drive is now faster than an s s d drive??

 

Thanks,

 

Monte

 

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Holcomb II
Sent: June 16, 2021 2:03 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

Rather then trying to explain it, I’ll trust the good folks at How-To Geek

eMMC vs. SSD: Not All Solid-State Storage is Equal (howtogeek.com)

 

John

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 1:13 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

John,

 

Tell us what an eMMC drive is  and why it should be avoided.

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Holcomb II
Sent: June 16, 2021 10:15 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

However, she should be sure not to get one with an eMMC drive.

Some but not all laptops let  you upgrade the storage and ram options later.

I’m going to assume you’d rather not open it up at any point

Do you want  us to suggest some actual laptops for you?

A great k keyboard typing experience is a m must I’d presume.

John

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 11:43 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

Hi Kathy,

 

A solid state drive has no moving parts. So, unlike the standard hard drives,

---there are no moving parts.

---they do not overheat.

---they use less energy and last longer.

 

These days, they are quite affordable.

Also,  most new laptops now come with a solid state  drive by default.

…and they are faster than  the  traditional mechanical drive.

 

Good brand names are Kingston, crucial, Samsung, etc..

 

I would not purchase a new p c or laptop without a solid state drive.

 

You wrote that you will not  be moving/carrying your  laptop from  place to place, so you can get one that may be a little heavier than  a very lightweight one.

Laptops with a numeric keypad are a little bigger than those without.

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kathy Pingstock


Sent: June 16, 2021 8:56 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

I am a little dumb in this area what is considered a solid-state drive question do you like a certain brand other than another brand question

Kathy

 

 

On Jun 16, 2021, at 9:41 AM, chris judge <chrisjudge1967@...> wrote:



Hi Kathy.

 

In my experience, as one who uses jaws and the Microsoft office suite all the time, I can state that the two features that will make you happy are a solid state hard drive, and 16 gig of ram. Sure it is true that 8 gig will suffice, but I have 16 ram and solid state hard drives in all of my computers now and they work great. The difference in cost between 8 gig of ram and 16 gig is almost negligible.

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kathy Pingstock
Sent: June 16, 2021 10:23 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

I will not be traveling with my laptop. I am doing a ministry through our church so I use the Internet a lot. I also print out braille so I have a Duxberry program and of course I use the latest jaws I just wanted to make sure that I have enough memory in my computer for it to last me for a little bit I also like to keep books on my computer because I download from bard as well

 I do not want a slow computer 

 

Kathy Sent from my iPhone

 

On Jun 15, 2021, at 9:04 PM, John Holcomb II <jhii926@...> wrote:



What do you do with your laptop? How much is your budget?

Will you be traveling a lot with this and need a good  battery ?

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kathy Pingstock
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 2:11 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Recommendations for a new laptop

 

Good afternoon to all

 

I need to purchase a new laptop, I need help with how much memory and everything I need for my laptop I use the latest jaws  and I use office products I’d like to do the Internet as well I’m not good at this part when it comes to purchasing a laptop and everything I should have in it

 

 

Kathy 

2601 - 2620 of 102382