Date   

Re: Scripting Help Please

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>
 

Hi again All,
 
I've got an update to my query.  I just found that the line I'm using for my, Find string, actually removes almost all of both lines except for the difference of the numbers at the beginning of each line.
 
One line begins with only 2 digits and the percent symbol, i.e,,  83%
 
The other line uses 3 digits,, a decimal point and the percent symbol, i.e,,  50.4%
 
Wel the only characters that aren't removed are the, 50, 5 & 0, from the beginning of the 2nd line.
 
So, I'm assuming only the first few characters of the, Find string, would need to be changed, but I just can't figure out what to replace whith what.  Thanks much.
 
 
Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"
 

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike B.
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2021 6:10 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Scripting Help Please

Hi All,
 
Would someone please help me with a Find and Replace scripting problem?  I don't know didley squat about scripting or using special characters in Find and Replace in Word.  I'm currently using the, Find, string below in word,
 
([0-9]{1,}%)*^13
 
to remove the line of text below,
 
83% of FunTrivia players have answered this question correctly in the past.
 
My question is, how or what needs to be changed / modified to the, Find string, so it removes the line of text above, but will also remove this line of text below from a different document?
 
50.4% of people have also gotten it wrong.
 
If a different find string needs to be used, for the second line of text I want to remove, what would that find string be?  Or, can the same find string be modified and used to remove both lines, but from separate documents?  All help is greatly appreciated and graciously accepted!
P.S.  I don't know how much work is necessary to do what I'm asking, so I'm willing to pay as well.  Thanks much.
 
 
 
Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"
 


FYI:Speech Central now free for Blind

Loy
 

I discovered on     Top Tech Tips the "Speech Central" app for IOS today. I downloaded it and connected up with Bookshare and it seems to be the easiest app I've tried for reading bookshare books. It will read many other items as well. And it is Free.


NLS Braille display question

Vicki W
 

Hi,
 
Does anyone know if Bookshare DAISY books will work with the NLS Braille display?
 
Thanks.
 
Vicki
 


Scripting Help Please

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>
 

Hi All,
 
Would someone please help me with a Find and Replace scripting problem?  I don't know didley squat about scripting or using special characters in Find and Replace in Word.  I'm currently using the, Find, string below in word,
 
([0-9]{1,}%)*^13
 
to remove the line of text below,
 
83% of FunTrivia players have answered this question correctly in the past.
 
My question is, how or what needs to be changed / modified to the, Find string, so it removes the line of text above, but will also remove this line of text below from a different document?
 
50.4% of people have also gotten it wrong.
 
If a different find string needs to be used, for the second line of text I want to remove, what would that find string be?  Or, can the same find string be modified and used to remove both lines, but from separate documents?  All help is greatly appreciated and graciously accepted!
P.S.  I don't know how much work is necessary to do what I'm asking, so I'm willing to pay as well.  Thanks much.
 
 
 
Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"
 


Windows 7 question

Madison Martin
 

Hi all,
Using Windows 7 how do I check to see if Bluetooth is turned on? Using latest
version of Jaws. Thanks Madison


Re: Facebook Issue

Abbie Taylor
 

On the Mobile Facebook site, click the link that says switch to the basic mobile site. Then, you should find, at the bottom of the page, a link that says report a problem. The best way to find it is to use your screen readers search feature. I’m pretty sure that is how I did it a while back. I hope that helps.
--


Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author https://abbiescorner.wordpress.com

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

 


Re: Thunderbird Issue

Gene
 

I forgot to include the link:
 
Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2021 11:29 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Thunderbird Issue
 
This is a discussion in a thunderbird forum.  I am not saying the information is correct, or what part of it is.  But it does give grounds to think that compacting is a good idea with a IMAP account for reasons that have nothing to do with saving ddisk space on your machine. 
 
The forum doesn’t discuss how often compacting with an IMAP account may be advisable.
 
Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2021 6:42 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Thunderbird Issue
 
Hi Shelly,

The compacting feaqture is not necessary. I have mine turned off under
general settings. You don't need that unless Thunderbird detects you are
running out of disk space. Actually, I have seen it even with large
disk  capacity hard drives, so I am not really sure what triggers it.


On 8/12/2021 3:02 AM, Shelly Kane wrote:
> Ron:
>
>
> Yes, after I read your email, I tried accessing the account settings
> again and I pressed Insert Z and everything worked fine. I do have one
> question, since I'm now using an iMap account, whenever I delete my
> messages from Thunderbird, I'm not getting that dialogue box about
> compacting folders.  Is that OK?
>
> Shelly
>
> On 8/10/2021 9:25 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
>> Hi Shelly,
>>
>> Can you access your account settings at all? If not, did you try
>> turning off the virtual PC cursor in JAWS with insert + Z and then
>> trying to navigate with up/down arrow keys in the tree view and/or
>> tab and shift tab with the tab keys?  do you have the proper port
>> settings for your account?
>> For incoming mail the port setting is 995 and for outgoing the port
>> setting is 465.
>>
>> for security the connection security is SSL/TLS     and
>> authentication method is normal password.
>>
>> If you cannot access these settings with JAWS you will need sighted
>> help to set these ports and security settings correctly.
>>
>>
>>
>> On 8/10/2021 5:32 AM, Shelly Kane wrote:
>>>     Hi Group:
>>>
>>>
>>> I thought I would post this here to see if different opinions come
>>> in.  On Wednesday, I changed my gmail password because it hasn't
>>> been done in 8 years and thought it was time.  After I changed it, I
>>> was able to receive mail but then I couldn't send it.  I put in the
>>> password but it kept rejecting it so I went in to account settings
>>> and something got screwed up when I did that because now I can send
>>> mail but I can't receive it.  I can get it on my phone and go to the
>>> website but it's not downloading into my inbox in Thunderbird.  What
>>> happens when I open Thunderbird, it does nothing and then a few
>>> minutes later, it says the pop3 server has timed out.  I'm in the
>>> view window where I could go to the different boxes.  Jaws doesn't
>>> speak while I'm in account settings so I don't know if I hit
>>> something accidentally or not.  If someone can offer any assistance
>>> on how to get my mail coming back into Thunderbird, I would greatly
>>> appreciate it.  Simple instructions please! Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Shelly
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grevous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement  and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!






Re: Thunderbird Issue

Gene
 

This is a discussion in a thunderbird forum.  I am not saying the information is correct, or what part of it is.  But it does give grounds to think that compacting is a good idea with a IMAP account for reasons that have nothing to do with saving ddisk space on your machine. 
 
The forum doesn’t discuss how often compacting with an IMAP account may be advisable.
 
Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2021 6:42 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Thunderbird Issue
 
Hi Shelly,

The compacting feaqture is not necessary. I have mine turned off under
general settings. You don't need that unless Thunderbird detects you are
running out of disk space. Actually, I have seen it even with large
disk  capacity hard drives, so I am not really sure what triggers it.


On 8/12/2021 3:02 AM, Shelly Kane wrote:
> Ron:
>
>
> Yes, after I read your email, I tried accessing the account settings
> again and I pressed Insert Z and everything worked fine. I do have one
> question, since I'm now using an iMap account, whenever I delete my
> messages from Thunderbird, I'm not getting that dialogue box about
> compacting folders.  Is that OK?
>
> Shelly
>
> On 8/10/2021 9:25 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
>> Hi Shelly,
>>
>> Can you access your account settings at all? If not, did you try
>> turning off the virtual PC cursor in JAWS with insert + Z and then
>> trying to navigate with up/down arrow keys in the tree view and/or
>> tab and shift tab with the tab keys?  do you have the proper port
>> settings for your account?
>> For incoming mail the port setting is 995 and for outgoing the port
>> setting is 465.
>>
>> for security the connection security is SSL/TLS     and
>> authentication method is normal password.
>>
>> If you cannot access these settings with JAWS you will need sighted
>> help to set these ports and security settings correctly.
>>
>>
>>
>> On 8/10/2021 5:32 AM, Shelly Kane wrote:
>>>     Hi Group:
>>>
>>>
>>> I thought I would post this here to see if different opinions come
>>> in.  On Wednesday, I changed my gmail password because it hasn't
>>> been done in 8 years and thought it was time.  After I changed it, I
>>> was able to receive mail but then I couldn't send it.  I put in the
>>> password but it kept rejecting it so I went in to account settings
>>> and something got screwed up when I did that because now I can send
>>> mail but I can't receive it.  I can get it on my phone and go to the
>>> website but it's not downloading into my inbox in Thunderbird.  What
>>> happens when I open Thunderbird, it does nothing and then a few
>>> minutes later, it says the pop3 server has timed out.  I'm in the
>>> view window where I could go to the different boxes.  Jaws doesn't
>>> speak while I'm in account settings so I don't know if I hit
>>> something accidentally or not.  If someone can offer any assistance
>>> on how to get my mail coming back into Thunderbird, I would greatly
>>> appreciate it.  Simple instructions please! Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Shelly
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grevous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement  and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!






Re: Attachments in emails

Ann Parsons
 

Hi all,

Email may say it's from your mother, but it may not be. Safer to download files, not open them.

Ann P.


Original message:

Hi Ann,
My mail is always downloaded from my pop 3 server before I read it.
So whatr's wrong with opening attachments in this case?
-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ann
Parsons
Sent: August 11, 2021 2:58 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Attachments in emails
Hi all,
Gene, it is more dangerous to open a file while it is still on the web.
If you download it, you have more control over it. If you open it from your
email, no matter who sends it, even if it is your mother, you're connected
to the net while you're viewing the file. this is not good.
I always save attachments.
Ann P.
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."






--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."


Re: Thunderbird Issue

Ron Canazzi
 

Hi Shelly,

The compacting feaqture is not necessary. I have mine turned off under general settings. You don't need that unless Thunderbird detects you are running out of disk space. Actually, I have seen it even with large disk  capacity hard drives, so I am not really sure what triggers it.

On 8/12/2021 3:02 AM, Shelly Kane wrote:
Ron:


Yes, after I read your email, I tried accessing the account settings again and I pressed Insert Z and everything worked fine. I do have one question, since I'm now using an iMap account, whenever I delete my messages from Thunderbird, I'm not getting that dialogue box about compacting folders.  Is that OK?

Shelly

On 8/10/2021 9:25 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Shelly,

Can you access your account settings at all? If not, did you try turning off the virtual PC cursor in JAWS with insert + Z and then trying to navigate with up/down arrow keys in the tree view and/or tab and shift tab with the tab keys?  do you have the proper port settings for your account?
For incoming mail the port setting is 995 and for outgoing the port setting is 465.

for security the connection security is SSL/TLS     and authentication method is normal password.

If you cannot access these settings with JAWS you will need sighted help to set these ports and security settings correctly.



On 8/10/2021 5:32 AM, Shelly Kane wrote:
    Hi Group:


I thought I would post this here to see if different opinions come in.  On Wednesday, I changed my gmail password because it hasn't been done in 8 years and thought it was time.  After I changed it, I was able to receive mail but then I couldn't send it.  I put in the password but it kept rejecting it so I went in to account settings and something got screwed up when I did that because now I can send mail but I can't receive it.  I can get it on my phone and go to the website but it's not downloading into my inbox in Thunderbird.  What happens when I open Thunderbird, it does nothing and then a few minutes later, it says the pop3 server has timed out.  I'm in the view window where I could go to the different boxes.  Jaws doesn't speak while I'm in account settings so I don't know if I hit something accidentally or not.  If someone can offer any assistance on how to get my mail coming back into Thunderbird, I would greatly appreciate it.  Simple instructions please! Thanks in advance.

Shelly







--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grevous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!


Re: Thunderbird Issue

Gene
 

Yes.  When you make a change using one device, that change is shown on all devices.  That is one of the main reasons people use IMAP, that you can look at and delete or move or whatever you want, messages and on another device, such as a computer, you will see exactly the same thing, reflecting anything you did on  the other device.  If you look at your messages and delete the ones you have read during the day using your phone, then in the evening, you look at messages using your computer, you won’t see the messages you have already read on  your phone. 
 
Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2021 1:58 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Thunderbird Issue
 

Hi Group:

 

The Thunderbird issue has finally been solved.  Curtis, thank you for letting me know that the port number could be off just by hitting the arrow keys.  That's exactly what it was.  I decided to get an iMap account set up and I needed sighted help for that.  We had no problem setting it up on Google but when we got to Thunderbird, it took some time.  We finally got it and everything seems to be working for the moment.  Hopefully this won't happen again.  Thanks for trying to assist me.  I am very glad this group is here.  I do have one more question, with iMap, the messages are on my phone and computer.  If I delete the messages on my phone, will that delete them on the computer?  Thanks again.

Shelly

On 8/10/2021 3:54 AM, Gene wrote:
I’m not sure how to solve your problem.  I can tell you how to avoid unnecessary problems of this sort in the first place. 
 
Don’t make trouble and inconvenience for yourself for no reason.  there may be sites where changing a password over time may be advisable but I don’t know that.  If your password is adequate, that is strong as that is defined, and nothing has happened on a site, I don’t see why it should be changed.  As far as I know, Just having a password for a period of time doesn’t make it more dangerous.  Others may wish to comment.
 
In the case of GMail, you don’t need to worry unless your  password isn’t strong.  I doubt Google would have let you use one that isn’t strong.  I believe I was asked to change a very old password by Google years ago because it wasn’t strong.  I had set up my GMail account perhaps in the early 2000’s.  I would think Google wouldn’t have let you use a password that isn’t strong eight years ago. 
 
Google informs you if someone has signed into your account using an unknown device and you can tell Google if it is you.  this notice is routinely sent out whenever this happens.  Google also sends out a notice even if someone tries to log into your account with an unknown device and fails.  There is no reason to change the password just because time passes and if someone unsuccessfully tries to log in and fails, though your password is likely not known, you may wish to change it to be safer. 
 
Even when I sign into Gmail from an unknown location or using a device I haven’t signed in with before, Google notifies me and asks if it is me.
 
I hope you solve your problems soon.
 
Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2021 4:32 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Thunderbird Issue
 
    Hi Group:


I thought I would post this here to see if different opinions come in. 
On Wednesday, I changed my gmail password because it hasn't been done in
8 years and thought it was time.  After I changed it, I was able to
receive mail but then I couldn't send it.  I put in the password but it
kept rejecting it so I went in to account settings and something got
screwed up when I did that because now I can send mail but I can't
receive it.  I can get it on my phone and go to the website but it's not
downloading into my inbox in Thunderbird.  What happens when I open
Thunderbird, it does nothing and then a few minutes later, it says the
pop3 server has timed out.  I'm in the view window where I could go to
the different boxes.  Jaws doesn't speak while I'm in account settings
so I don't know if I hit something accidentally or not.  If someone can
offer any assistance on how to get my mail coming back into Thunderbird,
I would greatly appreciate it.  Simple instructions please!  Thanks in
advance.

Shelly






Re: Facebook Issue

Shelly Kane
 

Abbie:


Thank you for changing the thread title in regards to Facebook.  I'm relieved to hear that others are having trouble and it's not just me.  Sorry that it's happening to you also.  I looked for a place to report a problem but couldn't find anything.  If you wouldn't mind, could you point me in the right direction and I would be happy to complain.  It's driving me nuts.  I talked with someone else and she told me that she checked it out while doing a search and a lot of other people are having this issue.  She told me that it's no one getting into my account that it's something with Facebook.  The first time it happened, it actually scared me.  After the third time, I got aggravated.  Thanks again for posting.

Shelly

On 8/10/2021 6:32 PM, Abbie Taylor wrote:
I'm starting a new thread in response to Shelley Kane's comment in a previous conversation about being locked out of Facebook for no apparent reason. I'm also having the same issue. I've had to change my password several times in the past month. 

I reported this as a problem on Facebook and urge others with this issue to do the same. If a lot of people complain about this, maybe they'll do something about it.

Also, someone suggested setting up two-factor authentification on Facebook. I haven't tried this yet, but I have a link to get started with this process if anyone wants it. I hope this is helpful to anyone else having this issue.
--


Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author https://abbiescorner.wordpress.com

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

 


Re: Thunderbird Issue

Shelly Kane
 

Ron:


Yes, after I read your email, I tried accessing the account settings again and I pressed Insert Z and everything worked fine. I do have one question, since I'm now using an iMap account, whenever I delete my messages from Thunderbird, I'm not getting that dialogue box about compacting folders.  Is that OK?

Shelly

On 8/10/2021 9:25 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Shelly,

Can you access your account settings at all? If not, did you try turning off the virtual PC cursor in JAWS with insert + Z and then trying to navigate with up/down arrow keys in the tree view and/or tab and shift tab with the tab keys?  do you have the proper port settings for your account?
For incoming mail the port setting is 995 and for outgoing the port setting is 465.

for security the connection security is SSL/TLS     and authentication method is normal password.

If you cannot access these settings with JAWS you will need sighted help to set these ports and security settings correctly.



On 8/10/2021 5:32 AM, Shelly Kane wrote:
    Hi Group:


I thought I would post this here to see if different opinions come in.  On Wednesday, I changed my gmail password because it hasn't been done in 8 years and thought it was time.  After I changed it, I was able to receive mail but then I couldn't send it.  I put in the password but it kept rejecting it so I went in to account settings and something got screwed up when I did that because now I can send mail but I can't receive it.  I can get it on my phone and go to the website but it's not downloading into my inbox in Thunderbird.  What happens when I open Thunderbird, it does nothing and then a few minutes later, it says the pop3 server has timed out.  I'm in the view window where I could go to the different boxes.  Jaws doesn't speak while I'm in account settings so I don't know if I hit something accidentally or not.  If someone can offer any assistance on how to get my mail coming back into Thunderbird, I would greatly appreciate it.  Simple instructions please!  Thanks in advance.

Shelly






Re: Thunderbird Issue

Shelly Kane
 

Hi Group:


The Thunderbird issue has finally been solved.  Curtis, thank you for letting me know that the port number could be off just by hitting the arrow keys.  That's exactly what it was.  I decided to get an iMap account set up and I needed sighted help for that.  We had no problem setting it up on Google but when we got to Thunderbird, it took some time.  We finally got it and everything seems to be working for the moment.  Hopefully this won't happen again.  Thanks for trying to assist me.  I am very glad this group is here.  I do have one more question, with iMap, the messages are on my phone and computer.  If I delete the messages on my phone, will that delete them on the computer?  Thanks again.

Shelly

On 8/10/2021 3:54 AM, Gene wrote:
I’m not sure how to solve your problem.  I can tell you how to avoid unnecessary problems of this sort in the first place. 
 
Don’t make trouble and inconvenience for yourself for no reason.  there may be sites where changing a password over time may be advisable but I don’t know that.  If your password is adequate, that is strong as that is defined, and nothing has happened on a site, I don’t see why it should be changed.  As far as I know, Just having a password for a period of time doesn’t make it more dangerous.  Others may wish to comment.
 
In the case of GMail, you don’t need to worry unless your  password isn’t strong.  I doubt Google would have let you use one that isn’t strong.  I believe I was asked to change a very old password by Google years ago because it wasn’t strong.  I had set up my GMail account perhaps in the early 2000’s.  I would think Google wouldn’t have let you use a password that isn’t strong eight years ago. 
 
Google informs you if someone has signed into your account using an unknown device and you can tell Google if it is you.  this notice is routinely sent out whenever this happens.  Google also sends out a notice even if someone tries to log into your account with an unknown device and fails.  There is no reason to change the password just because time passes and if someone unsuccessfully tries to log in and fails, though your password is likely not known, you may wish to change it to be safer. 
 
Even when I sign into Gmail from an unknown location or using a device I haven’t signed in with before, Google notifies me and asks if it is me.
 
I hope you solve your problems soon.
 
Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2021 4:32 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Thunderbird Issue
 
    Hi Group:


I thought I would post this here to see if different opinions come in. 
On Wednesday, I changed my gmail password because it hasn't been done in
8 years and thought it was time.  After I changed it, I was able to
receive mail but then I couldn't send it.  I put in the password but it
kept rejecting it so I went in to account settings and something got
screwed up when I did that because now I can send mail but I can't
receive it.  I can get it on my phone and go to the website but it's not
downloading into my inbox in Thunderbird.  What happens when I open
Thunderbird, it does nothing and then a few minutes later, it says the
pop3 server has timed out.  I'm in the view window where I could go to
the different boxes.  Jaws doesn't speak while I'm in account settings
so I don't know if I hit something accidentally or not.  If someone can
offer any assistance on how to get my mail coming back into Thunderbird,
I would greatly appreciate it.  Simple instructions please!  Thanks in
advance.

Shelly






looking for a new p c?

Monte Single
 

Hi List,

 

No, I am not looking for a new p c?

 

But I am window shopping.

 

Using the basic specs for a windows 11 p c;

 

A  md  Rizon 5000 series c p u, or

I core5 8thgen or later,

8 gig or ram,  and 256 gig s s d.

 

Has anyone found anything for less than 650 u s dollars?

 

Yes, I am talking about a desktop, not a laptop.

 

 

Please share what you find.

 

Cheers,

 

Mont

 

P s;  they ain’t as cheap as they used to be!!

So you best get out your piggy bank.  Oink! Oink!!


Re: Attachments in emails

Gene
 

According to what I’ve read, it does.
 
Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Attachments in emails
 

Hi List,

 

I am  using outlook 2016 with win 10 pro.

I know windows defender is on because once ina while it says it has completed a scan.

Does this mean my email is being scanned as it is downloaded?

 

Thanks,

]

Mont

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: August 11, 2021 11:21 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Attachments in emails

 

Antivirus programs with realtime protection scan attachments when they are downloaded, or if you set the program not to scan mail, it will still scan the attachment when you give the open command.  Either way, it is scanned before it opens and the antivirus program will stop it opening if it recognizes it as malicious. 

 

In another message, I gave one way in which it is safer to save an attachment first. 

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 9:04 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Attachments in emails

 

What makes a saved attachment more secure than one just opened without saving? If one was dangerous, my guess would be it would be dangerous to open even after saved. Please correct me, if I'm wrong, which it sounds like I must be.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tariq Ali
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 6:17 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Attachments in emails

My issue is not but I can’t find the attachments. I find the attachments I will open one of them, I will finish reading it and then I will close it. When I return to the email to find the next attachment it will not find the next attachment. I have to close the email re-open the email and then find the attachments again and then I will be allowed to read the next attachment

I don’t know if this is a setting or if this is just some kind of glitch. Originally when I was on the word at 2010 everything worked fine and I could just very easily access the next attachment since transferring to 2016 this problem has arisen


Regards
Tariq


On 9 Aug 2021, at 3:57 pm, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...> wrote:



In outlook 2013, I have to either Shift+Tab and right arrow or JAWS key+A, then right arrow to get to attachments.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tariq Ali
Sent: Monday, August 9, 2021 6:02 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Attachments in emails

It is Microsoft outlook 2016


Regards
Tariq


   On 9 Aug 2021, at 10:40 am, chris judge <chrisjudge1967@...> wrote:
  
  

   

   Hi. What email program are you using?

   

   Chris Judge

    <https://www.freedomscientific.com/Training/Certification>

   

   From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tariq Ali
   Sent: August 9, 2021 1:38 AM
   To: main@techtalk.groups.io
   Subject: [TechTalk] Attachments in emails

   

   Hi guys

   Prior to me upgrading to Windows 10 I would receive an email with several attachments, all I would do is it enter and the email would open the attachment. I could close this attachment and return to the email locate the next attachment and hit enter again to read the next attachment.

   Now with Windows 10 I will locate the attachment hit enter to open it when I have finished with it I can close it. Unfortunately when I go back to email to move to the next attachment it will not focus on the next attachment therefore not allowing me to open the next attachment. If I close the email and reopen it then I can go back to the attachments and find the next attachment and open it.

   Do you guys have any idea why this is and what do I need to change on my settings to stop having to do this

   Regards

   Tariq

  

















Re: Attachments in emails

Gene
 

That may be to a poingt and under certain conditions.  But generalizing is misleading.  I can think of one or two examples where it is safer to download a file.  Let’s say you have a Word attachment that has some sort of malicious code that may use Word to infect your computer such as malicious macros.  Some macros are malicious, others’ aren’t, but malicious macros in a Word document is a common technique to infect a computer when someone opens an attached malicious Word document. 
 
To be infected in this way, you would first have to have Word set to run macros automatically.  In most cases, Word doesn’t do so by default.  I don’t know when it may.  Or you would have to tell it to when opening this document.  But if Word is set to run them, then it would do so if you open the attachment directly or if you save it first.  From the very little I’ve read, the statement is made that in most cases it doesn’t automatically run macros.  So its better not to take the chance unless you know when it will and won’t.  To avoid the rissk, you would save the attachment and open it in Wordpad.  Wordpad can’t run macros and I doubt it is capable of running malicious code of any kind.  So in that sense, if you know enough to do these things and you are unsure of an attachment, that would be safer.  I would say to open any Worde file you receive as an attachment in Wordpad unless you are sure it is safe.  So it would be safer to download the attachment first, then open it in Wordpad.
 
Being attached to the Internet is irrelevant.  You are attached to the Internet anyway.  If a malicious attachment wants to use the Internet to take malicious actions, it will do so, whether you open it as a saved file or whether you open the attachment directly if you open it in a program that can be made to take malicious actions whether you download the file first or not.  In other words, the safety advantage is that if you download the file first, you can open it in a safer program. 
 
So I agree that if you know certain things, that a lot of people don’t, and if you do them, it is safer to download files.  But if you save a file and open it as you would open the file if you just opened the attachment, it is no safer. 
 
I’m discussing this both because I think the statement that it is safer to download files is so general that it is misleading.  Also, people may thing that they are being safer just because they download an attachment before opening it.  That isn’t necessarily true and may give some people more confidence and they may be less careful about opening attachments.  It is only safer to download an attachment if you do certain specific things such as in the Word example I gave or if you have a program without real time protection and you run it through that program.  If you have an antivirus and/or antimalware program with real time protection, that program will analyze the file no matter how you open it.  But you are safer if you do have another program without realtime protection if you download the file, then run it through that program before opening it. 
 
Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 3:58 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Attachments in emails
 
Hi all,

Gene, it is more dangerous to open a file while it is still on the web.
If you download it, you have more control over it.  If you open it from
your email, no matter who sends it, even if it is your mother, you're
connected to the net while you're viewing the file.  this is not good. 
I always save attachments.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."





Re: Attachments in emails

Monte Single
 

Hi Ann,

My mail is always downloaded from my pop 3 server before I read it.
So whatr's wrong with opening attachments in this case?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ann
Parsons
Sent: August 11, 2021 2:58 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Attachments in emails

Hi all,

Gene, it is more dangerous to open a file while it is still on the web.
If you download it, you have more control over it. If you open it from your
email, no matter who sends it, even if it is your mother, you're connected
to the net while you're viewing the file. this is not good.
I always save attachments.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."


Re: Attachments in emails

Monte Single
 

Hi List,

 

I am  using outlook 2016 with win 10 pro.

I know windows defender is on because once ina while it says it has completed a scan.

Does this mean my email is being scanned as it is downloaded?

 

Thanks,

]

Mont

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: August 11, 2021 11:21 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Attachments in emails

 

Antivirus programs with realtime protection scan attachments when they are downloaded, or if you set the program not to scan mail, it will still scan the attachment when you give the open command.  Either way, it is scanned before it opens and the antivirus program will stop it opening if it recognizes it as malicious. 

 

In another message, I gave one way in which it is safer to save an attachment first. 

 

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 9:04 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Attachments in emails

 

What makes a saved attachment more secure than one just opened without saving? If one was dangerous, my guess would be it would be dangerous to open even after saved. Please correct me, if I'm wrong, which it sounds like I must be.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tariq Ali
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 6:17 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Attachments in emails

My issue is not but I can’t find the attachments. I find the attachments I will open one of them, I will finish reading it and then I will close it. When I return to the email to find the next attachment it will not find the next attachment. I have to close the email re-open the email and then find the attachments again and then I will be allowed to read the next attachment

I don’t know if this is a setting or if this is just some kind of glitch. Originally when I was on the word at 2010 everything worked fine and I could just very easily access the next attachment since transferring to 2016 this problem has arisen


Regards
Tariq


On 9 Aug 2021, at 3:57 pm, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...> wrote:



In outlook 2013, I have to either Shift+Tab and right arrow or JAWS key+A, then right arrow to get to attachments.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tariq Ali
Sent: Monday, August 9, 2021 6:02 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Attachments in emails

It is Microsoft outlook 2016


Regards
Tariq


   On 9 Aug 2021, at 10:40 am, chris judge <chrisjudge1967@...> wrote:
  
  

   

   Hi. What email program are you using?

   

   Chris Judge

    <https://www.freedomscientific.com/Training/Certification>

   

   From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tariq Ali
   Sent: August 9, 2021 1:38 AM
   To: main@techtalk.groups.io
   Subject: [TechTalk] Attachments in emails

   

   Hi guys

   Prior to me upgrading to Windows 10 I would receive an email with several attachments, all I would do is it enter and the email would open the attachment. I could close this attachment and return to the email locate the next attachment and hit enter again to read the next attachment.

   Now with Windows 10 I will locate the attachment hit enter to open it when I have finished with it I can close it. Unfortunately when I go back to email to move to the next attachment it will not focus on the next attachment therefore not allowing me to open the next attachment. If I close the email and reopen it then I can go back to the attachments and find the next attachment and open it.

   Do you guys have any idea why this is and what do I need to change on my settings to stop having to do this

   Regards

   Tariq

  

















Re: Attachments in emails

Ann Parsons
 

Hi all,

Gene, it is more dangerous to open a file while it is still on the web. If you download it, you have more control over it. If you open it from your email, no matter who sends it, even if it is your mother, you're connected to the net while you're viewing the file. this is not good. I always save attachments.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

4861 - 4880 of 105902