Date   

jaBuT - Free accessible backup software #freeware #software

Carlos
 

I recently discovered a free accessible backup application called jaBuT.  It doesn't have every feature in the book, but it is fairly comprehensive for something that is free.  Backup programs which are both free and accessible are not very common.  The last version had a few accessibility related issues so I've been communicating with the developer to resolve them.  Today he released a new version and most of these issues have been fixed.  There are still a couple of sections which could do with more accessible labeling, but I think it is usable enough at this point.  The link to the homepage is below.


Re: not so pleased with Microsoft support

James Bentley
 

I appreciate the fact that MS is trying.  However, they failed me 75% of the time with F minus, minus, service.
 
Apple has A Plus, Plus, 24 hour tech support for accessibility needs. They have slightly messed me up only around 5% of the time.
 
I still choose to be grateful that MS has started offering help.  I just reserve the right to expect that MS improves their support.
 
James B
 
 
 

From: Pinky
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 7:46 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support
 

Hi Gene,

As far as I am concerned no tech support help is going to solve all problems and not cause some issues on some people’s computers. But if they help way more than cause issues, I think this is a good thing. If everyone thinks every time they call MS and they are suppose to solve all their issues every time, this is not going to happen.

We don’t live in a perfect world. So again if you think MS is going to solve every issue then I guess you are expecting too much from MS. There is no way any tech can solve every issue.  I have bought brand new computers and have had issues right out of the box. So nothing is perfect and it is never going to be a perfect tech support line. Some tech are just going to be better at solving issues just like there are better doctors, car mechanics. No Matter how much training they get some are just going to be better than others.

So I appreciate the help I do get from MS and think it is a good service.

Mr. Ed

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 10:20 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

 

So because something is free we should be happy for whatever we get?  In that case, how are people to know if the service should be used and what to be aware of when using it?  I can't tell you how much I disagree with the view that we should give up our critical faculty just because something is done for us poor blind people for free. 

 

One reason library service for the blind is as good as it is is because blind advocates agitated for good service.  One reason Microsoft and other companies are aware of accessibility is because advocates made them aware. 

 

If you provide a service, free or not, you have a responsibility not to leave people in worse shape than when they came to you.  The service helps many people.  it also does damage to some or perhaps many peoples' machines.  Are we supposed to be uninformed and not evaluate the service just because it is free?  If someone asks you about the service, are you going to say, it's wonderful and not say that you have seen a number of complaints about it which indicate that it is spotty, depending on who you get to work with you, that it may help but it may not and it may do harm?  Are you advocating not discussing such matters because we should be paralyzed with overwhelming gratitude that something is provided for free? 

 

No one is whining. 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 9:59 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

 

In my humble opinion, I appreciate Microsoft providing free tech support for the blind computer user. I encourage all my group members to call them with various issues that are too hard to cover in group emails. Are they perfect? No, but who is? So quit whining about a totally free service provided to all blind computer users please. LOL.

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, May 8, 2017 8:27 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

 

You mean if I were a tech and someone asked me the wrong thing?  What is the wrong thing?  If someone doesn't understand something and doesn't want me to do it because they don't understand, if I want to help the person, that may be frustrating.  But I don't see how there can be a "wrong thing" to ask.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: george b

Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 7:20 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

 

Ah, you would be bent if they asked you the incorrect thing

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: May 8, 2017 5:00
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

 

It's not a question of being a mind-reader.  there are just common sense things a tech should do and the techs in the service should be told or instructed to do this.  Of course, if they don't, you should talk with them and tell them to.  But there is nothing unreasonable about expecting techs who work for the service to be instructed to do this. 

 

Gene

From: george b

Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 6:41 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

 

Thank you ann I was just commented on by one who says no shoulden't do this...i never knew a tech person who was a mind reader...LOL

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ann Parsons
Sent: May 8, 2017 4:08
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

Hi all,

This is why, when asking for help of any kind, computer tech or anything else, you need to control what's going on.  Ask what they are doing.  Ask and ask and ask, even if you drive them nuts.  Tell them you want to know what's happening to your computer.  Don't just sit back and assume they are doing the right thing.

This is true of other things too.  Ask what the doctor is doing and why.  Ask where you are being taken by train or airport personnel.  Ask where you are and confirm the address when riding in a cab or on paratransit.  Ask, ask, ask, ask, be proactive!  It's your body, your life, and you have control over it.  You're not a package or a dumb animal or doll.  Ask!  Make your needs known in a quiet but no-nonsense way.  Ask!

Ann P.

Original message:

> I contact MS support as a very last resort. They restarted my pc
> without asking me and they put programs on my pc without asking me.
> The last straw was they set my pc to an earlier restore point without
> asking me. Heather

> "Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap!" Dr. Kenneth Jernigan
> contact:
> e-mail:
> kd5cbl@...
> skype: cynterline
> ham call sign:
> kd5cbl
> sites:
> National Federation of The Blind:
> www.nfb.org
> how the blind do it:
> www.blindhow.com

> From: Lenny McHugh <mailto:LennyMcHugh@...>
> Sent: Sunday, May 7, 2017 7:06 PM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
> Subject: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

> Well, the other day when I had the problem of not being able to open
> my local newspaper I finally contacted Microsoft support for people
> with disabilities. Yes they did fix the internet explorer problem but
> trashed a lot more. The first thing that I noticed is that my day by
> day reminder did not work. Here they stopped it from starting. Today
> was quite disturbing, my grandson needed to send some photos to his
> professor. My computer has never been able to see my or his iPhone so
> in 2012 I purchased touch copy 11. This worked fine until this
> afternoon. I got some weird message that it was on a network to which
> I had no access. Tried to download and that version is no longer
> available. It would cost me $40 to purchase the new one 2016.

> I started looking in msconfig they turned so much off all update
> capabilities, all apple and who knows what else. I just enabled all
> for both services and startup. This did not correct the problem. After
> a lot of searching I did locate the original download and was able to
> reinstall. His pictures are on the way. Now I have to go back into
> msconfig and try to remember what all I have previously stopped. I
> wonder why they stopped things that had no bearing on I.E. Also I
> still wonder what will not work when I need it. I am removing c
> cleaner that they installed. Just wonder if it took out something that
> touch copy needs. I was always pleased with their support until today.
> Too bad that I already filled out the survey with high marks.

> ---

> Please visit my web page

> It’s motivational, inspirational with a touch of humor

> There is also a very extensive resource list for the blind

> http://www.LennyMcHugh.com <http://www.lennymchugh.com/>

> International Brotherhood of Magicians member #43990



> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> -- AVG logo <http://www.avg.com/internet-security>

> This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
> www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/internet-security>

>

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
** New EMAIL:  akp@...
web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."







Re: not so pleased with Microsoft support

Pinky <pinky14@...>
 

Hi Gene,

As far as I am concerned no tech support help is going to solve all problems and not cause some issues on some people’s computers. But if they help way more than cause issues, I think this is a good thing. If everyone thinks every time they call MS and they are suppose to solve all their issues every time, this is not going to happen.

We don’t live in a perfect world. So again if you think MS is going to solve every issue then I guess you are expecting too much from MS. There is no way any tech can solve every issue.  I have bought brand new computers and have had issues right out of the box. So nothing is perfect and it is never going to be a perfect tech support line. Some tech are just going to be better at solving issues just like there are better doctors, car mechanics. No Matter how much training they get some are just going to be better than others.

So I appreciate the help I do get from MS and think it is a good service.

Mr. Ed

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 10:20 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

 

So because something is free we should be happy for whatever we get?  In that case, how are people to know if the service should be used and what to be aware of when using it?  I can't tell you how much I disagree with the view that we should give up our critical faculty just because something is done for us poor blind people for free. 

 

One reason library service for the blind is as good as it is is because blind advocates agitated for good service.  One reason Microsoft and other companies are aware of accessibility is because advocates made them aware. 

 

If you provide a service, free or not, you have a responsibility not to leave people in worse shape than when they came to you.  The service helps many people.  it also does damage to some or perhaps many peoples' machines.  Are we supposed to be uninformed and not evaluate the service just because it is free?  If someone asks you about the service, are you going to say, it's wonderful and not say that you have seen a number of complaints about it which indicate that it is spotty, depending on who you get to work with you, that it may help but it may not and it may do harm?  Are you advocating not discussing such matters because we should be paralyzed with overwhelming gratitude that something is provided for free? 

 

No one is whining. 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 9:59 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

 

In my humble opinion, I appreciate Microsoft providing free tech support for the blind computer user. I encourage all my group members to call them with various issues that are too hard to cover in group emails. Are they perfect? No, but who is? So quit whining about a totally free service provided to all blind computer users please. LOL.

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, May 8, 2017 8:27 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

 

You mean if I were a tech and someone asked me the wrong thing?  What is the wrong thing?  If someone doesn't understand something and doesn't want me to do it because they don't understand, if I want to help the person, that may be frustrating.  But I don't see how there can be a "wrong thing" to ask.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: george b

Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 7:20 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

 

Ah, you would be bent if they asked you the incorrect thing

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: May 8, 2017 5:00
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

 

It's not a question of being a mind-reader.  there are just common sense things a tech should do and the techs in the service should be told or instructed to do this.  Of course, if they don't, you should talk with them and tell them to.  But there is nothing unreasonable about expecting techs who work for the service to be instructed to do this. 

 

Gene

From: george b

Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 6:41 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

 

Thank you ann I was just commented on by one who says no shoulden't do this...i never knew a tech person who was a mind reader...LOL

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ann Parsons
Sent: May 8, 2017 4:08
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

Hi all,

This is why, when asking for help of any kind, computer tech or anything else, you need to control what's going on.  Ask what they are doing.  Ask and ask and ask, even if you drive them nuts.  Tell them you want to know what's happening to your computer.  Don't just sit back and assume they are doing the right thing.

This is true of other things too.  Ask what the doctor is doing and why.  Ask where you are being taken by train or airport personnel.  Ask where you are and confirm the address when riding in a cab or on paratransit.  Ask, ask, ask, ask, be proactive!  It's your body, your life, and you have control over it.  You're not a package or a dumb animal or doll.  Ask!  Make your needs known in a quiet but no-nonsense way.  Ask!

Ann P.

Original message:

> I contact MS support as a very last resort. They restarted my pc
> without asking me and they put programs on my pc without asking me.
> The last straw was they set my pc to an earlier restore point without
> asking me. Heather

> "Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap!" Dr. Kenneth Jernigan
> contact:
> e-mail:
> kd5cbl@...
> skype: cynterline
> ham call sign:
> kd5cbl
> sites:
> National Federation of The Blind:
> www.nfb.org
> how the blind do it:
> www.blindhow.com

> From: Lenny McHugh <mailto:LennyMcHugh@...>
> Sent: Sunday, May 7, 2017 7:06 PM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
> Subject: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

> Well, the other day when I had the problem of not being able to open
> my local newspaper I finally contacted Microsoft support for people
> with disabilities. Yes they did fix the internet explorer problem but
> trashed a lot more. The first thing that I noticed is that my day by
> day reminder did not work. Here they stopped it from starting. Today
> was quite disturbing, my grandson needed to send some photos to his
> professor. My computer has never been able to see my or his iPhone so
> in 2012 I purchased touch copy 11. This worked fine until this
> afternoon. I got some weird message that it was on a network to which
> I had no access. Tried to download and that version is no longer
> available. It would cost me $40 to purchase the new one 2016.

> I started looking in msconfig they turned so much off all update
> capabilities, all apple and who knows what else. I just enabled all
> for both services and startup. This did not correct the problem. After
> a lot of searching I did locate the original download and was able to
> reinstall. His pictures are on the way. Now I have to go back into
> msconfig and try to remember what all I have previously stopped. I
> wonder why they stopped things that had no bearing on I.E. Also I
> still wonder what will not work when I need it. I am removing c
> cleaner that they installed. Just wonder if it took out something that
> touch copy needs. I was always pleased with their support until today.
> Too bad that I already filled out the survey with high marks.

> ---

> Please visit my web page

> It’s motivational, inspirational with a touch of humor

> There is also a very extensive resource list for the blind

> http://www.LennyMcHugh.com <http://www.lennymchugh.com/>

> International Brotherhood of Magicians member #43990



> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> -- AVG logo <http://www.avg.com/internet-security>

> This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
> www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/internet-security>

>

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
** New EMAIL:  akp@...
web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."







Re: iPad questions.

Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@...>
 

I think the second question be iPad has to be sideways.
Joseph Hudson

Email
jhud7789@gmail.com
I device support
Telephone
2543007667
Skype
joseph.hudson89
facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joseph.hudson.9404
Twitter
https://twitter.com/josephhudson89

FaceTime/iMessage
jhud7789@yahoo.com

On May 7, 2017, at 9:23 AM, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@windstream.net> wrote:

A friend of mine asked me to ask these, please:


Number one: how does one enlarge the print on the screen of the IPad mini 2?
Number two: How do you rearrange the screen in your email so that it inot a split screen? The splitting of the screen makes the print have to be smaller.

Thanks.

Best from,

Carolyn


Re: not so pleased with Microsoft support

Carlos
 

They may in fact receive training to deal with disability related issues.
Since that is the whole point of the service, it would make sense. Of
course, even if they do receive special training, how well trained they are
might be a different story.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carolyn Arnold" <4carolyna@windstream.net>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support


I thought that Microsoft Disability was customer support - a branch with
people trained for specialized issues. So, customer service is customer
service, to be appreciated and used, as well as interacted with, if the
situation requires that on the part of the customer.

Bye for now,

Carolyn


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Carlos
Sent: Monday, May 8, 2017 12:10 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

I agree. I appreciate when a useful service is offered for free, but just
because something is free does not mean you shouldn't expect quality. And
if the service causes damage, the customer most certainly has the right to
discuss their experience, and heck, even complain if they feel like doing
so. Of course it is common sense that no service is perfect, but such
experiences should still be shared and discussed so other potential users
are aware of the possibilities. I don't believe anyone was quote unquote
whining, but I also can't imagine anyone who wouldn't be rightfully angry if
their system were damaged by use of this kind of service. These days people
rely on their computers for many things. Gratitude is all well and good
when the service works for you, but gratitude is probably the last thing on
your mind if they have damaged your system, even if unintentionally. Also,
it is easy to expect unqualified gratitude from everyone when it is not your
own computer which has been affected. I.E. When it happens to somebody
else.

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene <mailto:gsasner@ripco.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

So because something is free we should be happy for whatever we get? In
that case, how are people to know if the service should be used and what to
be aware of when using it? I can't tell you how much I disagree with the
view that we should give up our critical faculty just because something is
done for us poor blind people for free.

One reason library service for the blind is as good as it is is because
blind advocates agitated for good service. One reason Microsoft and other
companies are aware of accessibility is because advocates made them aware.

If you provide a service, free or not, you have a responsibility not to
leave people in worse shape than when they came to you. The service helps
many people. it also does damage to some or perhaps many peoples' machines.
Are we supposed to be uninformed and not evaluate the service just because
it is free? If someone asks you about the service, are you going to say,
it's wonderful and not say that you have seen a number of complaints about
it which indicate that it is spotty, depending on who you get to work with
you, that it may help but it may not and it may do harm? Are you advocating
not discussing such matters because we should be paralyzed with overwhelming
gratitude that something is provided for free?

No one is whining.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Jim via Groups.Io <mailto:jim.flusche=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 9:59 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support


In my humble opinion, I appreciate Microsoft providing free tech support for
the blind computer user. I encourage all my group members to call them with
various issues that are too hard to cover in group emails. Are they perfect?
No, but who is? So quit whining about a totally free service provided to all
blind computer users please. LOL.





From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, May 8, 2017 8:27 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support



You mean if I were a tech and someone asked me the wrong thing? What is the
wrong thing? If someone doesn't understand something and doesn't want me to
do it because they don't understand, if I want to help the person, that may
be frustrating. But I don't see how there can be a "wrong thing" to ask.



Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: george b <mailto:gbmagoo@gmail.com>

Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 7:20 AM

To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support



Ah, you would be bent if they asked you the incorrect thing





From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: May 8, 2017 5:00
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support



It's not a question of being a mind-reader. there are just common sense
things a tech should do and the techs in the service should be told or
instructed to do this. Of course, if they don't, you should talk with them
and tell them to. But there is nothing unreasonable about expecting techs
who work for the service to be instructed to do this.



Gene

From: george b <mailto:gbmagoo@gmail.com>

Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 6:41 AM

To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support



Thank you ann I was just commented on by one who says no shoulden't do
this...i never knew a tech person who was a mind reader...LOL

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ann Parsons
Sent: May 8, 2017 4:08
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

Hi all,

This is why, when asking for help of any kind, computer tech or anything
else, you need to control what's going on. Ask what they are doing. Ask
and ask and ask, even if you drive them nuts. Tell them you want to know
what's happening to your computer. Don't just sit back and assume they are
doing the right thing.

This is true of other things too. Ask what the doctor is doing and why.
Ask where you are being taken by train or airport personnel. Ask where you
are and confirm the address when riding in a cab or on paratransit. Ask,
ask, ask, ask, be proactive! It's your body, your life, and you have
control over it. You're not a package or a dumb animal or doll. Ask! Make
your needs known in a quiet but no-nonsense way. Ask!

Ann P.

Original message:

I contact MS support as a very last resort. They restarted my pc
without asking me and they put programs on my pc without asking me.
The last straw was they set my pc to an earlier restore point without
asking me. Heather
"Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap!" Dr. Kenneth Jernigan
contact:
e-mail:
kd5cbl@gmail.com <mailto:kd5cbl@gmail.com>
skype: cynterline
ham call sign:
kd5cbl
sites:
National Federation of The Blind:
www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org>
how the blind do it:
www.blindhow.com <http://www.blindhow.com>
From: Lenny McHugh <mailto:LennyMcHugh@comcast.net>
Sent: Sunday, May 7, 2017 7:06 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
<mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support
Well, the other day when I had the problem of not being able to open
my local newspaper I finally contacted Microsoft support for people
with disabilities. Yes they did fix the internet explorer problem but
trashed a lot more. The first thing that I noticed is that my day by
day reminder did not work. Here they stopped it from starting. Today
was quite disturbing, my grandson needed to send some photos to his
professor. My computer has never been able to see my or his iPhone so
in 2012 I purchased touch copy 11. This worked fine until this
afternoon. I got some weird message that it was on a network to which
I had no access. Tried to download and that version is no longer
available. It would cost me $40 to purchase the new one 2016.
I started looking in msconfig they turned so much off all update
capabilities, all apple and who knows what else. I just enabled all
for both services and startup. This did not correct the problem. After
a lot of searching I did locate the original download and was able to
reinstall. His pictures are on the way. Now I have to go back into
msconfig and try to remember what all I have previously stopped. I
wonder why they stopped things that had no bearing on I.E. Also I
still wonder what will not work when I need it. I am removing c
cleaner that they installed. Just wonder if it took out something that
touch copy needs. I was always pleased with their support until today.
Too bad that I already filled out the survey with high marks.
---
Please visit my web page
It’s motivational, inspirational with a touch of humor
There is also a very extensive resource list for the blind
http://www.LennyMcHugh.com <http://www.lennymchugh.com/>
International Brotherhood of Magicians member #43990


----------------------------------------------------------------------
-- AVG logo <http://www.avg.com/internet-security>
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com> <http://www.avg.com/internet-security>
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
** New EMAIL: akp@sero.email <mailto:akp@sero.email>
web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."


Re: not so pleased with Microsoft support

Carolyn Arnold
 

I thought that Microsoft Disability was customer support - a branch with people trained for specialized issues. So, customer service is customer service, to be appreciated and used, as well as interacted with, if the situation requires that on the part of the customer.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Monday, May 8, 2017 12:10 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

I agree. I appreciate when a useful service is offered for free, but just because something is free does not mean you shouldn't expect quality. And if the service causes damage, the customer most certainly has the right to discuss their experience, and heck, even complain if they feel like doing so. Of course it is common sense that no service is perfect, but such experiences should still be shared and discussed so other potential users are aware of the possibilities. I don't believe anyone was quote unquote whining, but I also can't imagine anyone who wouldn't be rightfully angry if their system were damaged by use of this kind of service. These days people rely on their computers for many things. Gratitude is all well and good when the service works for you, but gratitude is probably the last thing on your mind if they have damaged your system, even if unintentionally. Also, it is easy to expect unqualified gratitude from everyone when it is not your own computer which has been affected. I.E. When it happens to somebody else.

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene <mailto:gsasner@ripco.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

So because something is free we should be happy for whatever we get? In that case, how are people to know if the service should be used and what to be aware of when using it? I can't tell you how much I disagree with the view that we should give up our critical faculty just because something is done for us poor blind people for free.

One reason library service for the blind is as good as it is is because blind advocates agitated for good service. One reason Microsoft and other companies are aware of accessibility is because advocates made them aware.

If you provide a service, free or not, you have a responsibility not to leave people in worse shape than when they came to you. The service helps many people. it also does damage to some or perhaps many peoples' machines. Are we supposed to be uninformed and not evaluate the service just because it is free? If someone asks you about the service, are you going to say, it's wonderful and not say that you have seen a number of complaints about it which indicate that it is spotty, depending on who you get to work with you, that it may help but it may not and it may do harm? Are you advocating not discussing such matters because we should be paralyzed with overwhelming gratitude that something is provided for free?

No one is whining.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Jim via Groups.Io <mailto:jim.flusche=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 9:59 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support


In my humble opinion, I appreciate Microsoft providing free tech support for the blind computer user. I encourage all my group members to call them with various issues that are too hard to cover in group emails. Are they perfect? No, but who is? So quit whining about a totally free service provided to all blind computer users please. LOL.





From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, May 8, 2017 8:27 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support



You mean if I were a tech and someone asked me the wrong thing? What is the wrong thing? If someone doesn't understand something and doesn't want me to do it because they don't understand, if I want to help the person, that may be frustrating. But I don't see how there can be a "wrong thing" to ask.



Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: george b <mailto:gbmagoo@gmail.com>

Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 7:20 AM

To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support



Ah, you would be bent if they asked you the incorrect thing





From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: May 8, 2017 5:00
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support



It's not a question of being a mind-reader. there are just common sense things a tech should do and the techs in the service should be told or instructed to do this. Of course, if they don't, you should talk with them and tell them to. But there is nothing unreasonable about expecting techs who work for the service to be instructed to do this.



Gene

From: george b <mailto:gbmagoo@gmail.com>

Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 6:41 AM

To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support



Thank you ann I was just commented on by one who says no shoulden't do this...i never knew a tech person who was a mind reader...LOL

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ann Parsons
Sent: May 8, 2017 4:08
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

Hi all,

This is why, when asking for help of any kind, computer tech or anything else, you need to control what's going on. Ask what they are doing. Ask and ask and ask, even if you drive them nuts. Tell them you want to know what's happening to your computer. Don't just sit back and assume they are doing the right thing.

This is true of other things too. Ask what the doctor is doing and why. Ask where you are being taken by train or airport personnel. Ask where you are and confirm the address when riding in a cab or on paratransit. Ask, ask, ask, ask, be proactive! It's your body, your life, and you have control over it. You're not a package or a dumb animal or doll. Ask! Make your needs known in a quiet but no-nonsense way. Ask!

Ann P.

Original message:

> I contact MS support as a very last resort. They restarted my pc
> without asking me and they put programs on my pc without asking me.
> The last straw was they set my pc to an earlier restore point without
> asking me. Heather

> "Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap!" Dr. Kenneth Jernigan
> contact:
> e-mail:
> kd5cbl@gmail.com <mailto:kd5cbl@gmail.com>
> skype: cynterline
> ham call sign:
> kd5cbl
> sites:
> National Federation of The Blind:
> www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org>
> how the blind do it:
> www.blindhow.com <http://www.blindhow.com>

> From: Lenny McHugh <mailto:LennyMcHugh@comcast.net>
> Sent: Sunday, May 7, 2017 7:06 PM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
> Subject: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

> Well, the other day when I had the problem of not being able to open
> my local newspaper I finally contacted Microsoft support for people
> with disabilities. Yes they did fix the internet explorer problem but
> trashed a lot more. The first thing that I noticed is that my day by
> day reminder did not work. Here they stopped it from starting. Today
> was quite disturbing, my grandson needed to send some photos to his
> professor. My computer has never been able to see my or his iPhone so
> in 2012 I purchased touch copy 11. This worked fine until this
> afternoon. I got some weird message that it was on a network to which
> I had no access. Tried to download and that version is no longer
> available. It would cost me $40 to purchase the new one 2016.

> I started looking in msconfig they turned so much off all update
> capabilities, all apple and who knows what else. I just enabled all
> for both services and startup. This did not correct the problem. After
> a lot of searching I did locate the original download and was able to
> reinstall. His pictures are on the way. Now I have to go back into
> msconfig and try to remember what all I have previously stopped. I
> wonder why they stopped things that had no bearing on I.E. Also I
> still wonder what will not work when I need it. I am removing c
> cleaner that they installed. Just wonder if it took out something that
> touch copy needs. I was always pleased with their support until today.
> Too bad that I already filled out the survey with high marks.

> ---

> Please visit my web page

> It’s motivational, inspirational with a touch of humor

> There is also a very extensive resource list for the blind

> http://www.LennyMcHugh.com <http://www.lennymchugh.com/>

> International Brotherhood of Magicians member #43990



> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> -- AVG logo <http://www.avg.com/internet-security>

> This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
> www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com> <http://www.avg.com/internet-security>

>

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
** New EMAIL: akp@sero.email <mailto:akp@sero.email>
web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."


Re: not so pleased with Microsoft support

Carolyn Arnold
 

I don't either. I have had people to tell me not to be impatient. I have said I am not impatient, I just want to know, and asking is the way for me to find out, not to push or demand quicker action. This has been when playing cards, of all things. And one time, a player told me she didn't want to tell me what she had on the table, whereupon I said, no problem, reached over and felt all of her cards - might have broken her of sucking eggs, you might say. I never raised my voice and I smiled.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marie
Sent: Monday, May 8, 2017 9:59 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

Great post, Ann. I agree with you 100%. Too many of us let others herd us around like cattle and I, for one, won't let that happen to me.
Marie


-----Original Message-----
From: Ann Parsons
Sent: Monday, May 8, 2017 4:07 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support

Hi all,

This is why, when asking for help of any kind, computer tech or
anything else, you need to control what's going on. Ask what they are
doing. Ask and ask and ask, even if you drive them nuts. Tell them
you want to know what's happening to your computer. Don't just sit
back and assume they are doing the right thing.

This is true of other things too. Ask what the doctor is doing and
why. Ask where you are being taken by train or airport personnel. Ask
where you are and confirm the address when riding in a cab or on
paratransit. Ask, ask, ask, ask, be proactive! It's your body, your
life, and you have control over it. You're not a package or a dumb
animal or doll. Ask! Make your needs known in a quiet but no-nonsense
way. Ask!

Ann P.

Original message:

I contact MS support as a very last resort. They restarted my pc without
asking me and they put programs on my pc without asking me. The last straw
was they set my pc to an earlier restore point without asking me. Heather
"Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap!" Dr. Kenneth Jernigan
contact:
e-mail:
kd5cbl@gmail.com
skype: cynterline
ham call sign:
kd5cbl
sites:
National Federation of The Blind:
www.nfb.org
how the blind do it:
www.blindhow.com
From: Lenny McHugh <mailto:LennyMcHugh@comcast.net>
Sent: Sunday, May 7, 2017 7:06 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] not so pleased with Microsoft support
Well, the other day when I had the problem of not being able to open my
local newspaper I finally contacted Microsoft support for people with
disabilities. Yes they did fix the internet explorer problem but trashed a
lot more. The first thing that I noticed is that my day by day reminder
did not work. Here they stopped it from starting. Today was quite
disturbing, my grandson needed to send some photos to his professor. My
computer has never been able to see my or his iPhone so in 2012 I
purchased touch copy 11. This worked fine until this afternoon. I got some
weird message that it was on a network to which I had no access. Tried to
download and that version is no longer available. It would cost me $40 to
purchase the new one 2016.
I started looking in msconfig they turned so much off all update
capabilities, all apple and who knows what else. I just enabled all for
both services and startup. This did not correct the problem. After a lot
of searching I did locate the original download and was able to reinstall.
His pictures are on the way. Now I have to go back into msconfig and try
to remember what all I have previously stopped. I wonder why they stopped
things that had no bearing on I.E. Also I still wonder what will not work
when I need it. I am removing c cleaner that they installed. Just wonder
if it took out something that touch copy needs. I was always pleased with
their support until today. Too bad that I already filled out the survey
with high marks.
---
Please visit my web page
It’s motivational, inspirational with a touch of humor
There is also a very extensive resource list for the blind
http://www.LennyMcHugh.com <http://www.lennymchugh.com/>
International Brotherhood of Magicians member #43990


------------------------------------------------------------------------
AVG logo <http://www.avg.com/internet-security>
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/internet-security>
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
** New EMAIL: akp@sero.email
web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."


Re: Another instance of something disappearing, was, Re: [TechTalk] What's Up With Captcha Be Gone?

Gene
 

    Here is an update.  The page is fine.  I was using a very old version of Firefox yesterday and it gave me a problem loading page message, the same message as when a page isn't available.  I use the old version for looking at sites with scripts off.  It's a little faster than using a newer version with scripts off.  I may be wrong but I believe if I have scripts off, I'm not taking a security risk.  but those who know more may want to correct me. 
 
At any rate, the site's fine.  I thought it wasn't because I've never seen an old browser give a page not found error when I can reach the site.  So I didn't check with a new version of a browser until today.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 10:28 PM
Subject: Re: Another instance of something disappearing, was, Re: [TechTalk] What's Up With Captcha Be Gone?

I meant within the last few weeks, roughly.  The page may just temporarily be unavailable for a short time but it seems odd that the rest of the site should be available but not the order page.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 6:26 PM
Subject: Re: Another instance of something disappearing, was, Re: [TechTalk] What's Up With Captcha Be Gone?

Hi Gene,


It depends on what you mean by recently.  I purchased the 2.05 version in late 2016.


On 5/7/2017 2:52 PM, Gene wrote:
on another subject of something not being available, I was considering buying Steve's Clock but when I went to look at the order form, the page isn't available but the rest of the site is.  I'm curious if anyone has purchased something from the site recently.  I may write to Steve about the problem but since we are discussing disappearing material, I asked here.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Andy
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 1:40 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] What's Up With Captcha Be Gone?

I wouldn't be surprised. This guy is known for starting something and becoming bored and bailing on the project and showing up later with something different. This is why I wouldn't do a subscription deal with this guy.
 
Andy
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 6:19 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] What's Up With Captcha Be Gone?

 
Somebody on another list claimed that he has been unable to access the Captcha Be Gone web site.  So I checked for myself, and sure enough, I, too, am unable to access the Captcha Be Gone site.  Is anyone on this list actually using this service?  Is it possible that Captcha Be Gone is gone forever due to low enrollment thanks to the ridiculously high $35 annual subscription fee?  I never had any interest in this service myself, because Webvisum and Rumola have proven to be quite satisfactory for my captcha-solving needs, but I’m wondering wheterh others on this list took the plunge and are now out $35 because there is apparently no way to contact the developer for a refund.  For anyone who wants to check the status of Captcha Be Gone for themselves, just Google it and see whether you can access any of its web pages.  I certainly can’t. 
 
Gerald
 
 

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


Re: Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

Gene
 

I'm beginning to suspect that there is something wrong with her Windows Live Mail program.  There are other oddities I've seen with it.  They may keep her from using the program, at least with GMail.
 
I thought her e-mail address might have a problem but I just tried setting up a fake account using her e-mail address and it was accepted by the program.  The program on her machine says the address is invalid and asks if we want to use it anyway.  That's in the e-mail address section of the account wizard.  I wonder if there is any connection between that and the username not being accepted later.  At any rate, I may advise her to try another e-mail program. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

I don't think it is.  I suspect, as I said in an earlier message, that we'll have to set up a new account.  I wanted to try to find out what the problem was so I set up my old version of Windows Live Mail to work with my Google account.  In the username field, I put my e-mail address and it accepted the entire address.  I was able to successfully access my account.  Based on what I infer from the answers so far, I think I'll suggest creating a new account.  I may have said already in another message that she has hardly used this account so it won't matter if she sets up a new one interms of any sort of transition.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Carlos
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

Are you referring to creating the Gmail account itself or a field in Windows Live Mail?  I don't have Windows Live Mail installed at the moment, but are you sure it's not just referring to the Email address without the domain?
----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 5:26 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

I'm trying to help someone set up a GMail account to work with Windows Live Mail.  I know everything about how to do it except for one thing.  We are working with the newer version of Windows Live Mail and there is a field that asks for the user name.  The person doesn't know if she has a username and it's been so long since I joined GMail that I don't know if you can create a GMail account without a username, just your e-mail address.  I haven't looked at her account information yet but she looked at it last night on her mobile phone and as far as we know, no username was shown.  Her e-mail program won't let her use her e-mail address as a substitute for her username so at this point, aside from checking her account information on a computer I'm not sure how to proceed.
 
Thanks for any information.
 
Gene


Re: Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

James Bentley
 

Gene,
 
I just checked my at&t gmail account user name in WLM.  It is written on the next line:
 
att (bentleyj1952)
 
 
Of course, you will need to  substitute the “att” for “gmail”
 
don’t forget to try the space and everything in the email before the @ sign must be in parenthesis.

Good luck,
 
James B
 

From: Gene
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.
 
I don't think it is.  I suspect, as I said in an earlier message, that we'll have to set up a new account.  I wanted to try to find out what the problem was so I set up my old version of Windows Live Mail to work with my Google account.  In the username field, I put my e-mail address and it accepted the entire address.  I was able to successfully access my account.  Based on what I infer from the answers so far, I think I'll suggest creating a new account.  I may have said already in another message that she has hardly used this account so it won't matter if she sets up a new one interms of any sort of transition.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Carlos
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.
 
Are you referring to creating the Gmail account itself or a field in Windows Live Mail?  I don't have Windows Live Mail installed at the moment, but are you sure it's not just referring to the Email address without the domain?
----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 5:26 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.
 
I'm trying to help someone set up a GMail account to work with Windows Live Mail.  I know everything about how to do it except for one thing.  We are working with the newer version of Windows Live Mail and there is a field that asks for the user name.  The person doesn't know if she has a username and it's been so long since I joined GMail that I don't know if you can create a GMail account without a username, just your e-mail address.  I haven't looked at her account information yet but she looked at it last night on her mobile phone and as far as we know, no username was shown.  Her e-mail program won't let her use her e-mail address as a substitute for her username so at this point, aside from checking her account information on a computer I'm not sure how to proceed.
 
Thanks for any information.
 
Gene


Re: Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

Marie <magpie.mn@...>
 

the user name is the email address and you need to enter the complete address with the @gmail.com included.
Marie
 
 

From: Carlos
Sent: Monday, May 8, 2017 2:54 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.
 
Are you referring to creating the Gmail account itself or a field in Windows Live Mail?  I don't have Windows Live Mail installed at the moment, but are you sure it's not just referring to the Email address without the domain?
----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 5:26 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.
 
I'm trying to help someone set up a GMail account to work with Windows Live Mail.  I know everything about how to do it except for one thing.  We are working with the newer version of Windows Live Mail and there is a field that asks for the user name.  The person doesn't know if she has a username and it's been so long since I joined GMail that I don't know if you can create a GMail account without a username, just your e-mail address.  I haven't looked at her account information yet but she looked at it last night on her mobile phone and as far as we know, no username was shown.  Her e-mail program won't let her use her e-mail address as a substitute for her username so at this point, aside from checking her account information on a computer I'm not sure how to proceed.
 
Thanks for any information.
 
Gene


Re: Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>
 

Hi,
OK, there isn't. For me, my username, in all clients, that actually have a username field, is brajmund2000@gmail.com. If no user name field, then don't worry about it. I don't have windows male to try with, however.



Sent from a Braille Sense

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene <gsasner@ripco.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Monday, May 8, 2017 11:01 pm
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.



no, that's the question I was asking, whether there is another username or not. We couldn't experiment with her e-mail address because it isn't accepted in the username field. perhaps it is a syntax the program won't accept. It has two periods in two different places before the at sign. She has hardly used this account and the best thing to do might be to set up a new account with a new conventional e-mail address.

Gene
----- original Message -----

From: Rajmund
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 4:52 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.


Hi Gene,
The user name is the entire email address. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the question, however.



Sent from a Braille Sense

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene <gsasner@ripco.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Monday, May 8, 2017 10:27 pm
Subject: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.



I'm trying to help someone set up a GMail account to work with Windows Live Mail. I know everything about how to do it except for one thing. We are working with the newer version of Windows Live Mail and there is a field that asks for the user name. The person doesn't know if she has a username and it's been so long since I joined GMail that I don't know if you can create a GMail account without a username, just your e-mail address. I haven't looked at her account information yet but she looked at it last night on her mobile phone and as far as we know, no username was shown. Her e-mail program won't let her use her e-mail address as a substitute for her username so at this point, aside from checking her account information on a computer I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thanks for any information.

Gene



what are people using to back up their computer to the cloud

james f hooper <james_hooper@...>
 

Subject line says it all.


Re: Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

Gene
 

I don't think it is.  I suspect, as I said in an earlier message, that we'll have to set up a new account.  I wanted to try to find out what the problem was so I set up my old version of Windows Live Mail to work with my Google account.  In the username field, I put my e-mail address and it accepted the entire address.  I was able to successfully access my account.  Based on what I infer from the answers so far, I think I'll suggest creating a new account.  I may have said already in another message that she has hardly used this account so it won't matter if she sets up a new one interms of any sort of transition.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Carlos
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

Are you referring to creating the Gmail account itself or a field in Windows Live Mail?  I don't have Windows Live Mail installed at the moment, but are you sure it's not just referring to the Email address without the domain?
----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 5:26 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

I'm trying to help someone set up a GMail account to work with Windows Live Mail.  I know everything about how to do it except for one thing.  We are working with the newer version of Windows Live Mail and there is a field that asks for the user name.  The person doesn't know if she has a username and it's been so long since I joined GMail that I don't know if you can create a GMail account without a username, just your e-mail address.  I haven't looked at her account information yet but she looked at it last night on her mobile phone and as far as we know, no username was shown.  Her e-mail program won't let her use her e-mail address as a substitute for her username so at this point, aside from checking her account information on a computer I'm not sure how to proceed.
 
Thanks for any information.
 
Gene


Re: Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

Gene
 

no, that's the question I was asking, whether there is another username or not.  We couldn't experiment with her e-mail address because it isn't accepted in the username field.  perhaps it is a syntax the program won't accept.  It has two periods in two different places before the at sign.  She has hardly used this account and the best thing to do might be to set up a new account with a new conventional e-mail address.
 
Gene
----- original Message -----

From: Rajmund
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 4:52 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

Hi Gene,
The user name is the entire email address. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the question, however.



Sent from a Braille Sense

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene  <gsasner@...>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Monday, May 8, 2017 10:27 pm
Subject: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

>
>
> I'm trying to help someone set up a GMail account to work with Windows Live Mail.  I know everything about how to do it except for one thing.  We are working with the newer version of Windows Live Mail and there is a field that asks for the user name.  The person doesn't know if she has a username and it's been so long since I joined GMail that I don't know if you can create a GMail account without a username, just your e-mail address.  I haven't looked at her account information yet but she looked at it last night on her mobile phone and as far as we know, no username was shown.  Her e-mail program won't let her use her e-mail address as a substitute for her username so at this point, aside from checking her account information on a computer I'm not sure how to proceed.

> Thanks for any information.

> Gene
>



Re: Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

Carlos
 

Are you referring to creating the Gmail account itself or a field in Windows Live Mail?  I don't have Windows Live Mail installed at the moment, but are you sure it's not just referring to the Email address without the domain?

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 5:26 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

I'm trying to help someone set up a GMail account to work with Windows Live Mail.  I know everything about how to do it except for one thing.  We are working with the newer version of Windows Live Mail and there is a field that asks for the user name.  The person doesn't know if she has a username and it's been so long since I joined GMail that I don't know if you can create a GMail account without a username, just your e-mail address.  I haven't looked at her account information yet but she looked at it last night on her mobile phone and as far as we know, no username was shown.  Her e-mail program won't let her use her e-mail address as a substitute for her username so at this point, aside from checking her account information on a computer I'm not sure how to proceed.
 
Thanks for any information.
 
Gene


Re: Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>
 

Hi Gene,
The user name is the entire email address. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the question, however.



Sent from a Braille Sense

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene <gsasner@ripco.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Monday, May 8, 2017 10:27 pm
Subject: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.



I'm trying to help someone set up a GMail account to work with Windows Live Mail. I know everything about how to do it except for one thing. We are working with the newer version of Windows Live Mail and there is a field that asks for the user name. The person doesn't know if she has a username and it's been so long since I joined GMail that I don't know if you can create a GMail account without a username, just your e-mail address. I haven't looked at her account information yet but she looked at it last night on her mobile phone and as far as we know, no username was shown. Her e-mail program won't let her use her e-mail address as a substitute for her username so at this point, aside from checking her account information on a computer I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thanks for any information.

Gene


Re: Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

James Bentley
 

If I am remembering right, you do need to have a user name.  I know I have one on my Gmail account.
 
Try her phone number.
 
James B
 
 
 

From: Gene
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 4:26 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.
 
I'm trying to help someone set up a GMail account to work with Windows Live Mail.  I know everything about how to do it except for one thing.  We are working with the newer version of Windows Live Mail and there is a field that asks for the user name.  The person doesn't know if she has a username and it's been so long since I joined GMail that I don't know if you can create a GMail account without a username, just your e-mail address.  I haven't looked at her account information yet but she looked at it last night on her mobile phone and as far as we know, no username was shown.  Her e-mail program won't let her use her e-mail address as a substitute for her username so at this point, aside from checking her account information on a computer I'm not sure how to proceed.
 
Thanks for any information.
 
Gene


Setting up a GMail account to work in Windows Live Mail.

Gene
 

I'm trying to help someone set up a GMail account to work with Windows Live Mail.  I know everything about how to do it except for one thing.  We are working with the newer version of Windows Live Mail and there is a field that asks for the user name.  The person doesn't know if she has a username and it's been so long since I joined GMail that I don't know if you can create a GMail account without a username, just your e-mail address.  I haven't looked at her account information yet but she looked at it last night on her mobile phone and as far as we know, no username was shown.  Her e-mail program won't let her use her e-mail address as a substitute for her username so at this point, aside from checking her account information on a computer I'm not sure how to proceed.
 
Thanks for any information.
 
Gene


Re: Linux accessibility

Gene
 

The spam folder on your computer or the spam folder your provider uses on their web site. This question may not apply if you are using IMAP.  If you are using POP it would.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Linux accessibility

Hello, as suggested by Nimer, nothing appeared on my span folder, thanks.
armando
----- Original Message -----
From: Carlos
Sent: Monday, May 8, 2017 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Linux accessibility

You might also want to read through this article.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Linux accessibility

Thanks, I have tried sonar and well, it's good but not easy to learn. as for the file deal, it still does not fix issue. I tested on both machines I have, one being an AMD processor with NVidia graphics while the laptop has an Inel and both reported same results, Thanks.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 8, 2017 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Linux accessibility

I believe that this may be hardware-specific... I am using and have used Mate, and do not experience issues with reading desktop icons. If it isn't working for you with the default file manager, whatever that is, try installing nautilus and making that the default.

Thanks.

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 1:27 PM Carlos <carlos1106@...> wrote:
Sonar
is another accessible distro.  Although I haven't tested it myself so I can't provide any feedback.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 2:22 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Linux accessibility

Hello,
I was wondering if we had any linux users on the list? If so, I was wondering aside from Vinux, what are the most accessible linux distros one can use successfully? I tried Ubuntu Mate and the latest version will not read certain things like the desktop. Any suggestions would grately be appreciated, thanks.
Armando

--
Cordially,

Nimer Jaber

My mission is to bring love and peace to everyone around me with all tools available to me.
My core values are integrity, innovation, loyalty, excellence, and 100% personal responsibility.

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for windows XP
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (218-606-0475) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

56341 - 56360 of 102131