Date   

Re: New Android/Linux PDA

Eleni Vamvakari
 

Thank you for mentioning all of this! I should probably e-mail the
manufacturer about all of this. If anything, I might send it to DJX
and have him do the installations. I don't know anything about
servers, ssh, Speakup, or the commandline in Linux. I have used Vinux
with Mate successfully, but mostly just to play around. I have heard
that, in general, it's best to disable Pulse, and I know what you mean
about LXDE not working well. I read that it is not a preferred
desktop. It is truly a shame that this computer doesn't have an X86
processor. If it did, I would have jsust installed Windows. As it
is, if I use Android, is there a program similar to VMWare Player that
I can use to run Windows that way? If not, then at least it does have
a real keyboard, and they said nothing about it being touch sensitive,
so I can use it regularly.

On 24/01/2018, Jeremy <icu8it2@gmail.com> wrote:
Just from the tiny look at the vimeo page, I see that it mentions using
LXDE on Debian. Have you actually done any research to figure out how
well LXDE works with Orca? What procedures are you going to have to use
to get mate installed on it instead, how well will Orca run with the
hardware on the system and how about drivers? On the same page it says:
"As you will see in the video, and as of 19 Oct 2017, a number of
drivers have already been implemented, including the keyboard, screen
driver, touch screen and Wi-Fi driver." I don't necessarily know if this
means that you'd have issues with sound, but that's really something you
should be trying to figure out before jumping into using Linux. Assuming
driver support is more complete in the version of Android it runs,
things might be more accessible there and worth taking a look at, but
I'd probably not focus on trying to use Linux on it, unless you know for
sure how to configure the stuff that might not work.

Here's a small list of some things you probably need to read up on and
learn a bit more about before you dive into Linux.
Using SSH, do you know what it is, how to install the server on Debian
and configure it.
Do you also know what clients you can use on Windows to connect to the
server, just in case things break and you lose speech in either speakup
or Orca.
Do you know about any potential issues in using one sound system over
another on that particular hardware, how are you going to configure
speakup to play nicely along side Orca, with it using Pulse, etc.
Can you even get speakup up and going on that particular system, or
might you run into other types of problems wherein it doesn't play nice
with the sound hardware, similar to the problems people had with using
it on the RPies.
As far as I'm aware, LXDE still has some pretty crappy accessibility
issues with Orca, so do you know what packages are required to install
mate instead and what you might need to configure once they are installed?
There's probably other things I'm missing, but those are probably the
most important ones.

On 1/24/2018 2:04 AM, Eleni Vamvakari wrote:
I found another review here. It sounded quite positive.

http://www.zdnet.com/product/gemini-pda/

I also found a video with more information that proved extremely
useful in explaining the Linux aspect of this dual-boot system.

https://vimeo.com/239095559

While the visuals won't help, I learned that the version of Linux that
they're using is Debian 9.0, with LXDE serving as the current desktop.
However, they said that changing distributions should be relatively
easy. So I could, theoretically, use something like Vinux or Ubuntu.
But how accessible are the default system and desktop environment? Is
it easy to turn on Orca? Can I try it in VMWare? For those who can
see, how does the dual boot on the Gemini work? If it is explained
verbally, I apologise in advance. The video is not working on the
machine that I am using to write this. On my windows machine, I
either let it boot into XP, or I wait for a beep, count for eight
seconds or so, and then hit down arrow to boot into 7. Finally, has
anyone here ever owned a Psion 5? I am not intending on buying one,
but they say that the form factor and keyboard of this new device is
extremely similar, and I would like to hear experiences relating to
them.

Thanks,
Eleni

On 23/01/2018, Eleni Vamvakari <elvam2167@gmail.com> wrote:
I found some more information on this device.

https://www.androidcentral.com/gemini-pda

It seems that, in size, at least, this is similar to the UH900, since
there is extra room around the screen. I just hope that the battery
life is better. I have never understood the need for dual cameras,
except when scanning documents or doing some kind of work that
involves visuals. This already has a built-in one that should suffice
for things like using Skype, so I'm not sure why the reviewer is
complaining. At any rate, I learned that the price is a reasonable
$399, instead of the almost $600 that I read at another site. Still,
it's not cheap enough that I can buy it and not care if it doesn't
work for me. Therefore, I must ask, will either Android or Linux (I
don't know which kind is installed) suit my life style and user
patterns? As always, there is also the issue of accessibility, but I
fail to see why this wouldn't work with Talkback or Orca. Given the
specifications of this machine, can it work with virtual machines? If
so, is there a program for Android or Linux similar to VMWare Player
that is accessible?

Thanks,
Eleni

On 23/01/2018, Eleni Vamvakari <elvam2167@gmail.com> wrote:
As many of you know, I hve been seeking a good UMPC for quite some
time. Today, I found something amazing! This is a modern device
which seems to have everything that I want in it and more, beginning
with a full qwerty keyboard! Plus, not only can it run Android, but
Linux as well! My only concern is the size and the price. It seems
tb e as small as my TMobile Dash, which is tiny, even for me, though
it is usable. But perhaps, I'm wrong, and it's more like my Lifebook
UH900, in which case, it would be perfect! I must investigate this
further!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-pda-android-linux-keyboard-mobile-device-phone#/

For a time, I was considering the GPD Pocket, but two things stopped
me from doing so. The first is that it probably couldn't be
downgraded to Windows 7 or XP. The second is that, after reading the
reviews, it seems that the company which makes it doesn't offer good
customer service, and several customers had serious complaints about
their units, including one almost catching on fire!

Does anyone know of other such devices that might interest me?

Thanks,
Eleni

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167



--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167






--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167


Re: New Android/Linux PDA

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>
 

On going back and trying to view the video, I also had quite a few issues in getting it to load too, not sure why. Anyways, just wanted to send another message in hopes that my previous one didn't come off as sounding super harsh, the Linux stuff can really get pretty frustrating though, if you don't know what you're getting yourself into. lol

Anyways, I had better luck with the link for the review and somewhat like the sound of the device itself and think it might actually be promising for it's running Android, although it would have to be running the latest versions of Android and talkback for me to really ever consider it. I do like that they've included a decent battery though, in comparing it to the batteries on other Android phones at least, but without any real knowledge on the types of software that would come on the device by default, what types of drain does the processor at different states have, the display, etc, I'd guess you'd be getting about the same as a normal phone per full charge, maybe a tiny bit over a day or so depending on use.

The four gigabytes of RAM for Android also isn't bad, it's about the same as some of the mid-to-higher end phones on the market, but for Linux and Orca, it's kinda crappy honestly. I'd also like a bit more cleaner experience of how the keyboard commands work for Talkback in at least android 7, but perhaps they added some stuff in Orio that would make using the keyboard as the primary means of moving around in the interface more pleasant. I'd also like to know if the keyboard has all of the keys I'd be interested in using or if any of them would need to be remapped, similar to the blackberry and the stuff that was posted here on list a ways back about the keyboard on it.

On 1/24/2018 11:17 AM, jeremy wrote:
Just from the tiny look at the vimeo page, I see that it mentions using LXDE on Debian. Have you actually done any research to figure out how well LXDE works with Orca? What procedures are you going to have to use to get mate installed on it instead, how well will Orca run with the hardware on the system and how about drivers? On the same page it says: "As you will see in the video, and as of 19 Oct 2017, a number of drivers have already been implemented, including the keyboard, screen driver, touch screen and Wi-Fi driver." I don't necessarily know if this means that you'd have issues with sound, but that's really something you should be trying to figure out before jumping into using Linux. Assuming driver support is more complete in the version of Android it runs, things might be more accessible there and worth taking a look at, but I'd probably not focus on trying to use Linux on it, unless you know for sure how to configure the stuff that might not work.

Here's a small list of some things you probably need to read up on and learn a bit more about before you dive into Linux.
Using SSH, do you know what it is, how to install the server on Debian and configure it.
Do you also know what clients you can use on Windows to connect to the server, just in case things break and you lose speech in either speakup or Orca.
Do you know about any potential issues in using one sound system over another on that particular hardware, how are you going to configure speakup to play nicely along side Orca, with it using Pulse, etc.
Can you even get speakup up and going on that particular system, or might you run into other types of problems wherein it doesn't play nice with the sound hardware, similar to the problems people had with using it on the RPies.
As far as I'm aware, LXDE still has some pretty crappy accessibility issues with Orca, so do you know what packages are required to install mate instead and what you might need to configure once they are installed?
There's probably other things I'm missing, but those are probably the most important ones.

On 1/24/2018 2:04 AM, Eleni Vamvakari wrote:
I found another review here.  It sounded quite positive.

http://www.zdnet.com/product/gemini-pda/

I also found a video with more information that proved extremely
useful in explaining the Linux aspect of this dual-boot system.

https://vimeo.com/239095559

While the visuals won't help, I learned that the version of Linux that
they're using is Debian 9.0, with LXDE serving as the current desktop.
However, they said that changing distributions should be relatively
easy.  So I could, theoretically, use something like Vinux or Ubuntu.
But how accessible are the default system and desktop environment?  Is
it easy to turn on Orca?  Can I try it in VMWare?  For those who can
see, how does the dual boot on the Gemini work?  If it is explained
verbally, I apologise in advance.  The video is not working on the
machine that I am using to write this.  On my windows machine, I
either let it boot into XP, or I wait for a beep, count for eight
seconds or so, and then hit down arrow to boot into 7.  Finally, has
anyone here ever owned a Psion 5?  I am not intending on buying one,
but they say that the form factor and keyboard of this new device is
extremely similar, and I would like to hear experiences relating to
them.

Thanks,
Eleni

On 23/01/2018, Eleni Vamvakari <elvam2167@gmail.com> wrote:
I found some more information on this device.

https://www.androidcentral.com/gemini-pda

It seems that, in size, at least, this is similar to the UH900, since
there is extra room around the screen.  I just hope that the battery
life is better.  I have never understood the need for dual cameras,
except when scanning documents or doing some kind of work that
involves visuals.  This already has a built-in one that should suffice
for things like using Skype, so I'm not sure why the reviewer is
complaining.  At any rate, I learned that the price is a reasonable
$399, instead of the almost $600 that I read at another site. Still,
it's not cheap enough that I can buy it and not care if it doesn't
work for me. Therefore, I must ask, will either Android or Linux (I
don't know which kind is installed) suit my life style and user
patterns?  As always, there is also the issue of accessibility, but I
fail to see why this wouldn't work with Talkback or Orca. Given the
specifications of this machine, can it work with virtual machines?  If
so, is there a program for Android or Linux similar to VMWare Player
that is accessible?

Thanks,
Eleni

On 23/01/2018, Eleni Vamvakari <elvam2167@gmail.com> wrote:
As many of you know, I hve been seeking a good UMPC for quite some
time.  Today, I found something amazing!  This is a modern device
which seems to have everything that I want in it and more, beginning
with a full qwerty keyboard!  Plus, not only can it run Android, but
Linux as well!  My only concern is the size and the price. It seems
tb e as small as my TMobile Dash, which is tiny, even for me, though
it is usable.  But perhaps, I'm wrong, and it's more like my Lifebook
UH900, in which case, it would be perfect!  I must investigate this
further!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-pda-android-linux-keyboard-mobile-device-phone#/

For a time, I was considering the GPD Pocket, but two things stopped
me from doing so.  The first is that it probably couldn't be
downgraded to Windows 7 or XP.  The second is that, after reading the
reviews, it seems that the company which makes it doesn't offer good
customer service, and several customers had serious complaints about
their units, including one almost catching on fire!

Does anyone know of other such devices that might interest me?

Thanks,
Eleni

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167



--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167




Re: Desktop & Windows 10

Ron Canazzi
 

Hi Group,


Along these lines of inquiry, is there a way of including the desktop in the alt + Tab order in Windows Ten?  I don't see any way of doing that so far.

On 1/24/2018 10:14 AM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
I have to press Windows D most of the time, rarely ever get to Desktop. I think the greed for Edge is the imposition on me, since I have Internet Explorer as my browser. Mine stops at Edge, whenever I turn on the computer and enter password.

Cordially,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marie
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:40 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Desktop & Windows 10

Mike, I have Win 10 on several devices and they all boot up into the desktop. I am not sure what the problem might be but one suggestion is to go to the system tray, tab once and see if it says “show desktop”. That is the only thing I can think of but if this is not it, I would call Microsoft accessibility and they should be able to help. I have had great experience with them.
Marie
From: Mike B.
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 9:17 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Desktop & Windows 10
Hi All,
Running Jaws 16 thru 2018 latest & Windows 10 Pro Creator latest. I've been searching the Internet & through 10's settings for a setting that I can use for Windows 10 to boot to the desktop when starting, & also how to put the desktop in the, Alt + Tab , order. Well, I haven't had any luck, & if anyone knows how to accomplish the above tasks', would you please be kind enough to share?! All help will be greatly appreciated, & gratefully accepted. Thanks much.
Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.




--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


Re: New Android/Linux PDA

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>
 

Just from the tiny look at the vimeo page, I see that it mentions using LXDE on Debian. Have you actually done any research to figure out how well LXDE works with Orca? What procedures are you going to have to use to get mate installed on it instead, how well will Orca run with the hardware on the system and how about drivers? On the same page it says: "As you will see in the video, and as of 19 Oct 2017, a number of drivers have already been implemented, including the keyboard, screen driver, touch screen and Wi-Fi driver." I don't necessarily know if this means that you'd have issues with sound, but that's really something you should be trying to figure out before jumping into using Linux. Assuming driver support is more complete in the version of Android it runs, things might be more accessible there and worth taking a look at, but I'd probably not focus on trying to use Linux on it, unless you know for sure how to configure the stuff that might not work.

Here's a small list of some things you probably need to read up on and learn a bit more about before you dive into Linux.
Using SSH, do you know what it is, how to install the server on Debian and configure it.
Do you also know what clients you can use on Windows to connect to the server, just in case things break and you lose speech in either speakup or Orca.
Do you know about any potential issues in using one sound system over another on that particular hardware, how are you going to configure speakup to play nicely along side Orca, with it using Pulse, etc.
Can you even get speakup up and going on that particular system, or might you run into other types of problems wherein it doesn't play nice with the sound hardware, similar to the problems people had with using it on the RPies.
As far as I'm aware, LXDE still has some pretty crappy accessibility issues with Orca, so do you know what packages are required to install mate instead and what you might need to configure once they are installed?
There's probably other things I'm missing, but those are probably the most important ones.

On 1/24/2018 2:04 AM, Eleni Vamvakari wrote:
I found another review here. It sounded quite positive.

http://www.zdnet.com/product/gemini-pda/

I also found a video with more information that proved extremely
useful in explaining the Linux aspect of this dual-boot system.

https://vimeo.com/239095559

While the visuals won't help, I learned that the version of Linux that
they're using is Debian 9.0, with LXDE serving as the current desktop.
However, they said that changing distributions should be relatively
easy. So I could, theoretically, use something like Vinux or Ubuntu.
But how accessible are the default system and desktop environment? Is
it easy to turn on Orca? Can I try it in VMWare? For those who can
see, how does the dual boot on the Gemini work? If it is explained
verbally, I apologise in advance. The video is not working on the
machine that I am using to write this. On my windows machine, I
either let it boot into XP, or I wait for a beep, count for eight
seconds or so, and then hit down arrow to boot into 7. Finally, has
anyone here ever owned a Psion 5? I am not intending on buying one,
but they say that the form factor and keyboard of this new device is
extremely similar, and I would like to hear experiences relating to
them.

Thanks,
Eleni

On 23/01/2018, Eleni Vamvakari <elvam2167@gmail.com> wrote:
I found some more information on this device.

https://www.androidcentral.com/gemini-pda

It seems that, in size, at least, this is similar to the UH900, since
there is extra room around the screen. I just hope that the battery
life is better. I have never understood the need for dual cameras,
except when scanning documents or doing some kind of work that
involves visuals. This already has a built-in one that should suffice
for things like using Skype, so I'm not sure why the reviewer is
complaining. At any rate, I learned that the price is a reasonable
$399, instead of the almost $600 that I read at another site. Still,
it's not cheap enough that I can buy it and not care if it doesn't
work for me. Therefore, I must ask, will either Android or Linux (I
don't know which kind is installed) suit my life style and user
patterns? As always, there is also the issue of accessibility, but I
fail to see why this wouldn't work with Talkback or Orca. Given the
specifications of this machine, can it work with virtual machines? If
so, is there a program for Android or Linux similar to VMWare Player
that is accessible?

Thanks,
Eleni

On 23/01/2018, Eleni Vamvakari <elvam2167@gmail.com> wrote:
As many of you know, I hve been seeking a good UMPC for quite some
time. Today, I found something amazing! This is a modern device
which seems to have everything that I want in it and more, beginning
with a full qwerty keyboard! Plus, not only can it run Android, but
Linux as well! My only concern is the size and the price. It seems
tb e as small as my TMobile Dash, which is tiny, even for me, though
it is usable. But perhaps, I'm wrong, and it's more like my Lifebook
UH900, in which case, it would be perfect! I must investigate this
further!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-pda-android-linux-keyboard-mobile-device-phone#/

For a time, I was considering the GPD Pocket, but two things stopped
me from doing so. The first is that it probably couldn't be
downgraded to Windows 7 or XP. The second is that, after reading the
reviews, it seems that the company which makes it doesn't offer good
customer service, and several customers had serious complaints about
their units, including one almost catching on fire!

Does anyone know of other such devices that might interest me?

Thanks,
Eleni

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167



--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167




Re: jaws-accessible program for recording sound from computer

Kimsan
 

Do you have a link for the audacity scripts?

 

 

If you are a wrestling fan, I invite you to visit my wrestling site for blogs and podcasts by navigating to: http://www.therasslincafe.com/

Also, you may like our page on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TheRasslinCafe/

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:09 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] jaws-accessible program for recording sound from computer

 

Auddacity, which is free, should be excellent for your needs. There are JAWS scripts for it, too.

 

Another possibility, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, is Gold Wave.

 

On 1/24/2018 11:04 AM, Sugar Lopez wrote:

But it doesn’t work well with Jaws 17,unless someone can help make it work

Thanks I will try it again

sugar

 

"Heaven is full of answers to prayers for which no one ever bothered to ask. :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyLrl0SWe7s

 

Please support me in my journey to another opportunity of life at:

https://www.gofundme.com/sugars-transplant-journey

 

Bless you, Sugar Lopez

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 2:46 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] jaws-accessible program for recording sound from computer

 

Here is the link to a site where many programs Carlos adapted are stored.

You'll find Virtual Recorder there.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: joanne

Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 11:48 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] jaws-accessible program for recording sound from computer

 

I downloaded Audacity but really am not sure how to get it to record and then show my recorded track. I think Carlos had a virtual recorder program more accessible but not sure where to find this. I really just want something simple where I can name a track and either set a record time or just stop it when my audio is finished. I think I liked the virtual recorder I once had from Carlos, so anything like this that I can use with Jaws is appreciated. I know once Replay had something but not sure how supported their programs are and they're expensive I've been told.

 

Thanks.

 

 


Re: jaws-accessible program for recording sound from computer

Steve Matzura
 

Auddacity, which is free, should be excellent for your needs. There are JAWS scripts for it, too.


Another possibility, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, is Gold Wave.


On 1/24/2018 11:04 AM, Sugar Lopez wrote:

But it doesn’t work well with Jaws 17,unless someone can help make it work

Thanks I will try it again

sugar

 

"Heaven is full of answers to prayers for which no one ever bothered to ask. :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyLrl0SWe7s

 

Please support me in my journey to another opportunity of life at:

https://www.gofundme.com/sugars-transplant-journey

 

Bless you, Sugar Lopez

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 2:46 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] jaws-accessible program for recording sound from computer

 

Here is the link to a site where many programs Carlos adapted are stored.

You'll find Virtual Recorder there.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: joanne

Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 11:48 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] jaws-accessible program for recording sound from computer

 

I downloaded Audacity but really am not sure how to get it to record and then show my recorded track. I think Carlos had a virtual recorder program more accessible but not sure where to find this. I really just want something simple where I can name a track and either set a record time or just stop it when my audio is finished. I think I liked the virtual recorder I once had from Carlos, so anything like this that I can use with Jaws is appreciated. I know once Replay had something but not sure how supported their programs are and they're expensive I've been told.

 

Thanks.




Re: Extensive Ribbon Tutorial

george b <gbmagoo@...>
 

The office link only did outlook 2016 and no ribbons in that, and word 2016
and no ribbon stuffthere eather

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Ann Parsons
Sent: January 24, 2018 8:49
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Extensive Ribbon Tutorial

Hi Gene,

Actually, no, I wasn't talking about Murtha's paid books and tutorials.
I gave a link to her free stuff which includes a tutorial on Office.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."


Re: Extensive Ribbon Tutorial

Ann Parsons
 

Hi Gene,

Actually, no, I wasn't talking about Murtha's paid books and tutorials. I gave a link to her free stuff which includes a tutorial on Office.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."


Re: Extensive Ribbon Tutorial

Gene
 

Are you talking about the book you pay for?  If so, that should be stated and the approximate cost, if you know it.  If someone can't or doesn't want to pay, knowing thewse things might save time.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 6:16 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Extensive Ribbon Tutorial

Hi all,

I think there's one at:

http://www.blind.training/free-training/

There's a tutorial on Office which should have the info you need.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."



Re: jaws-accessible program for recording sound from computer

Sugar Lopez
 

But it doesn’t work well with Jaws 17,unless someone can help make it work

Thanks I will try it again

sugar

 

"Heaven is full of answers to prayers for which no one ever bothered to ask. :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyLrl0SWe7s

 

Please support me in my journey to another opportunity of life at:

https://www.gofundme.com/sugars-transplant-journey

 

Bless you, Sugar Lopez

 

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 2:46 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] jaws-accessible program for recording sound from computer

 

Here is the link to a site where many programs Carlos adapted are stored.

You'll find Virtual Recorder there.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: joanne

Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 11:48 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] jaws-accessible program for recording sound from computer

 

I downloaded Audacity but really am not sure how to get it to record and then show my recorded track. I think Carlos had a virtual recorder program more accessible but not sure where to find this. I really just want something simple where I can name a track and either set a record time or just stop it when my audio is finished. I think I liked the virtual recorder I once had from Carlos, so anything like this that I can use with Jaws is appreciated. I know once Replay had something but not sure how supported their programs are and they're expensive I've been told.

 

Thanks.


Re: SACD versus CD, can it play on my DVD player?

Gerald Levy
 

Did you read my post yesterday? SA-CD's will most definitely not play on a conventional computer DVD drive because this is a proprietary format developed by Sony that was a commercial flop because it was not compatible with existing CD players. This format should not be confused with gold-plated CD's, which are merely conventional CD's coated with gold plate that will play on any CD or DVD drive because they retain the conventional CD format, although some audiophiles swear that they sound better than regular CD's. When DVD players were introduced, other manufacturers refused to pay Soney licensing fees to incorporate this format into their players, and so by 2007, the SA-CD was basically dead, although they are still around if you can find a player to play them on. What really killed the SA-CD was the popularity of the IPod and other media players. Suddenly, consumers preferred the convenience of downloading music directly from the Internet despite its inferior sound quality to spending money on a format whose sonic superiority was highly dubious, and in any case, required expensive speakers or headphones to truly appreciate, which most mainstream consumers were not willing to pay extra for. Besides, blue ray DVD's now offer sound quality that rivals or exceeds that of SA-CD's. So before you make erroneous claims, check your facts first.

Gerald

-----Original Message-----
From: Smiling?
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:51 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] SACD versus CD, can it play on my DVD player?

Super Audio Compact Disks (SACD's) your DVD player should by all means be able to play with no problems.

When CD's are gold plated they are typically remastered and then gold plated (I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule, but I have yet to see it) so obviously yes, you will hear a difference. Same is true for remastered gold plated vinyl and yes, you should be able to clearly hear a difference between a standard CD versus a SACD, but having never ever heard anything through your actual ears, I do not have a clue of what you will hear and what you will not. Which is ironically true for each and every single one of us.

So going out and listening to them for yourself would be key, very similar to food magically enough.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Spitz
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 09:30 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] SACD versus CD, can it play on my DVD player?

I am thinking about purchasing some SACD's for my music collection but
am not sure if they would play on the DVD player on my Dell desktop.
Also, if you have experience with SACD's or gold plated CD's, can you
tell a difference in sound quality from a regular music CD recording?

Thanks,

Peter


Re: Desktop & Windows 10

Marie <magpie.mn@...>
 

One more idea. When the system boots up it is actually on a lock screen and you should be able to press the esc key to get to the sign in area. I am so used to this that it did not even occur to me before. If esc does not do the trick, try doing the alt+tab to cycle to the sign in screen.
M
 
 

From: Mike B.
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 9:17 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Desktop & Windows 10
 
Hi All,
 
Running Jaws 16 thru 2018 latest & Windows 10 Pro Creator latest.  I've been searching the Internet & through 10's settings for a setting that I can use for Windows 10 to boot to the desktop when starting, & also how to put the desktop in the, Alt + Tab , order.  Well, I haven't had any luck, & if anyone knows how to accomplish the above tasks', would you please be kind enough to share?!  All help will be greatly appreciated, & gratefully accepted.  Thanks much.
Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.


Re: Desktop & Windows 10

Carolyn Arnold
 

I have to press Windows D most of the time, rarely ever get to Desktop. I think the greed for Edge is the imposition on me, since I have Internet Explorer as my browser. Mine stops at Edge, whenever I turn on the computer and enter password.

Cordially,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marie
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:40 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Desktop & Windows 10

Mike, I have Win 10 on several devices and they all boot up into the desktop. I am not sure what the problem might be but one suggestion is to go to the system tray, tab once and see if it says “show desktop”. That is the only thing I can think of but if this is not it, I would call Microsoft accessibility and they should be able to help. I have had great experience with them.
Marie


From: Mike B.
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 9:17 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Desktop & Windows 10

Hi All,

Running Jaws 16 thru 2018 latest & Windows 10 Pro Creator latest. I've been searching the Internet & through 10's settings for a setting that I can use for Windows 10 to boot to the desktop when starting, & also how to put the desktop in the, Alt + Tab , order. Well, I haven't had any luck, & if anyone knows how to accomplish the above tasks', would you please be kind enough to share?! All help will be greatly appreciated, & gratefully accepted. Thanks much.
Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.


Re: SACD versus CD, can it play on my DVD player?

Peter Spitz
 

Thank you very much!

On 1/24/18, Smiling? <blind7@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Super Audio Compact Disks (SACD's) your DVD player should by all means be
able to play with no problems.

When CD's are gold plated they are typically remastered and then gold plated
(I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule, but I have yet to see it) so
obviously yes, you will hear a difference. Same is true for remastered gold
plated vinyl and yes, you should be able to clearly hear a difference
between a standard CD versus a SACD, but having never ever heard anything
through your actual ears, I do not have a clue of what you will hear and
what you will not. Which is ironically true for each and every single one of
us.

So going out and listening to them for yourself would be key, very similar
to food magically enough.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Peter Spitz
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 09:30 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] SACD versus CD, can it play on my DVD player?

I am thinking about purchasing some SACD's for my music collection but
am not sure if they would play on the DVD player on my Dell desktop.
Also, if you have experience with SACD's or gold plated CD's, can you
tell a difference in sound quality from a regular music CD recording?

Thanks,

Peter







Re: SACD versus CD, can it play on my DVD player?

Smiling?
 

Super Audio Compact Disks (SACD's) your DVD player should by all means be able to play with no problems.

When CD's are gold plated they are typically remastered and then gold plated (I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule, but I have yet to see it) so obviously yes, you will hear a difference. Same is true for remastered gold plated vinyl and yes, you should be able to clearly hear a difference between a standard CD versus a SACD, but having never ever heard anything through your actual ears, I do not have a clue of what you will hear and what you will not. Which is ironically true for each and every single one of us.

So going out and listening to them for yourself would be key, very similar to food magically enough.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Spitz
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 09:30 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] SACD versus CD, can it play on my DVD player?

I am thinking about purchasing some SACD's for my music collection but
am not sure if they would play on the DVD player on my Dell desktop.
Also, if you have experience with SACD's or gold plated CD's, can you
tell a difference in sound quality from a regular music CD recording?

Thanks,

Peter


Re: Desktop & Windows 10

Marie <magpie.mn@...>
 

Mike, I have Win 10 on several devices and they all boot up into the desktop. I am not sure what the problem might be but one suggestion is to go to the system tray, tab once and see if it says “show desktop”. That is the only thing I can think of but if this is not it, I would call Microsoft accessibility and they should be able to help. I have had great experience with them.
Marie
 
 

From: Mike B.
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 9:17 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Desktop & Windows 10
 
Hi All,
 
Running Jaws 16 thru 2018 latest & Windows 10 Pro Creator latest.  I've been searching the Internet & through 10's settings for a setting that I can use for Windows 10 to boot to the desktop when starting, & also how to put the desktop in the, Alt + Tab , order.  Well, I haven't had any luck, & if anyone knows how to accomplish the above tasks', would you please be kind enough to share?!  All help will be greatly appreciated, & gratefully accepted.  Thanks much.
Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.


Re: Find and print attachment in Outlook sixteen

Marie <magpie.mn@...>
 

I heartedly agree!
M
 
 

From: Cristóbal
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 9:16 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Find and print attachment in Outlook sixteen
 

Yeah so . . . seeing as how the actual purpose of this thread was addressed with multiple solutions, any chance we can let it die a merciful death and end?

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 8:30 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Find and print attachment in Outlook sixteen

 

I'm not sure what you mean by I took a position.  I said that when a subject is being discussed in a thread that has nothing to do with the thread that the subject line should be changed or that it would be good if the subject line were changed.  I don't recall just how I worded it.  I didn't say it is list policy or that actions or pressure will be put on people to do this.  I'm saying that it is good practice if someone writes a message in a thread that is not related to the original topic, that they change the subject line but that is a statement of good list practice, such as an ettiquette book might prescribe a certain thing be done in a certain context but since almost no one does it, it's interesting but not generally followed. 

 

List owners and moderators don't generally try to enforce this standard though on occasion, they may remind members of it.

 

If you read the first line of a message and skip it if you aren't interested in threads you begin, I don't think the inconvenience will be more than minor.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Jeffrey Schwartz

Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 10:14 PM

To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Find and print attachment in Outlook sixteen

 

Gene,

It is all in your hands.  I thought that you had taken a position on changing the subject line when the posts are totally unrelated to it.  As a user, despite the fact that my issue is resolved when I see that subject I feel that I must review it.  Perhaps another, easier way to do my task is involved,  It’s your role of moderator now that the issue has arisen and you have taken a position on it.

Jeff

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 10:08 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Find and print attachment in Outlook sixteen

 

The topic of determining who a message is responding to first came up under this subject line and, as topics drift, it continued there. 

 

I didn't do anything to stop the discussion before but your messages are regular enough in discussing this question and commenting on messages others send to be moderation messages.  Please stop commenting on such matters now because they are the perview of the owner and moderator to deal with.  I don't mind members asking questions such as you asked previously, but to continue to comment on individual messages rises to the level of moderating.

 

If you want to respond to a thread and the subject should change, it's fine to change the subject and say in the message that you have changed the subject.  But only if you have something to say concerning the actual topic.  Don't send messages changing subject lines and commenting on it just to make the change.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Jeffrey Schwartz

Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 5:04 PM

To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Find and print attachment in Outlook sixteen

 

Talk about spamming an entire list.  What does any of this have to do with my subject line?
Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of janet gross
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 4:49 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Find and print attachment in Outlook sixteen

Hi Ann, ,

Gene wrote:
Please look at the message below mine. You will see that I responded to that message, not to yours. this is very common and context is important. Just because a message has the same subject line doesn't mean it is necessarily responding to your message. It may be responding to someone who responded to your message.

Gene

Janet wrote:
Gene,

I think it would prevent a lot of confusion if people would at least add the name to the email of the person they are responding to. I notice this over and over happening, including you! LOL! Smile!
I also notice some people don’t even sign their name at the end of an email. Before I respond to an email, I always try to find the name in which the email even came from, but that doesn’t always work, because like I said, some people don’t sign their name.

Janet

Ann P wrote:
Hi all,

Just my $.02 but I hate, absolutely loathe messages that say things like For Sally or For Bud or for Susie.  If you want to write to sally or Bud or Susie, then write to them and don't spam a public list.

Ann P.

Janet said:
Ann I think you are misunderstanding the whole meaning of my message.
I just thought I would try to clarify some of this seeing that Ann didn't agree with my message.
Janet
-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ann Parsons
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 6:16 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Find and print attachment in Outlook sixteen

Hi all,

Just my $.02 but I hate, absolutely loathe messages that say things like For Sally or For Bud or for Susie.  If you want to write to sally or Bud or Susie, then write to them and don't spam a public list.

Ann P.

Original message:

> Gene,

> I think it would prevent a lot of confusion if people would at least
> add the name to the email of the person they are responding to. I
> notice this over and over happening, including you! LOL! Smile!

> I also notice some people don’t even sign their name at the end of an
> email. Before I respond to an email, I always try to find the name in
> which the email even came from, but that doesn’t always work, because
> like I said, some people don’t sign their name.

> Janet

> Janet

> From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
> Behalf Of Gene
> Sent: Monday, January 22, 2018 4:28 PM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Find and print attachment in Outlook sixteen

> Please look at the message below mine. You will see that I responded
> to that message, not to yours. this is very common and context is
> important. Just because a message has the same subject line doesn't
> mean it is necessarily responding to your message. It may be
> responding to someone who responded to your message.

> Gene

> ----- Original Message -----

> From:Jeffrey Schwartz <mailto:jeffreyschwartz0238@...>

> Sent: Monday, January 22, 2018 4:22 PM

> To:main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

> Subject: FW: [TechTalk] Find and print attachment in Outlook sixteen

> This is not the first time I received the answer to my question and
> found that it was directed to someone else.

> Jeff

> From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>] On
> Behalf Of Gene
> Sent: Monday, January 22, 2018 4:54 PM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Find and print attachment in Outlook sixteen

> When sending messages where everything is being described in standard
> English, using punctuation means that those who have punctuation off
> won't hear it. In this case, if the word plus isn't heard, the text
> makes no sense. It reads, use the shift key the tab key. It should
> read, use the shift key plus the tab key. I never use things like the
> and sign or the plus sign or others when I am writing standard
> sentences for a blind audience.

> Gene

> ----- Original Message -----

> From:Blaster <mailto:blaster.nil8@...>

> Sent: Monday, January 22, 2018 3:48 PM

> To:main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Find and print attachment in Outlook sixteen

> Hi Jeff,
> When you open your e-mail message, use the shift key + the tab key to
> jump up to the attachment bar. If you go to far you will hit the
> subject field the cc , the bcc , ect.... Once your on the attachment
> bar, you use the left or right arrow keys to select the attachment
> your looking to print. Use the Alt key + the down arrow key to open a
> list of options, like "open, save as or print". Press the spacebar on
> print, if that doesn't do it try pressing the enter key.

> HTH,
> Blaster


> On 1/22/18, Jeffrey Schwartz <jeffreyschwartz0238@...
> <mailto:jeffreyschwartz0238@...>> wrote:
>> Could someone please help me With this task.

>> Jeff



>

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."









Re: setting up ICloud e-mail in OE

Vicki W
 

It is for Outlook Express and Outlook 2010. I need info for both.
 
Vicki
 

----- Original Message -----
From: george b
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 8:26 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] setting up ICloud e-mail in OE

Yes need to know which version of outlook

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Vicki
Sent: January 24, 2018 5:21
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] setting up ICloud e-mail in OE

 

Does anyone know how to set up the ICloud e-mail in Outlook or Outlook Express?

 

Thanks.

 

Vicki

 


Re: setting up ICloud e-mail in OE

george b <gbmagoo@...>
 

Yes need to know which version of outlook

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Vicki
Sent: January 24, 2018 5:21
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] setting up ICloud e-mail in OE

 

Does anyone know how to set up the ICloud e-mail in Outlook or Outlook Express?

 

Thanks.

 

Vicki

 


setting up ICloud e-mail in OE

Vicki W
 

Does anyone know how to set up the ICloud e-mail in Outlook or Outlook Express?
 
Thanks.
 
Vicki