Date   

Re: an android phone home button problem

Joe Giovanelli
 

Olusegun, thank you for writing.

I hoped the idea you mentioned would work but it didn't.

I have made some calls by moving to Google Assistant. When it opens, I can make a call.

The trouble is that I never am sure that Assistant opens. I get no indication that it opened.

I should have said that I unlock the screen before trying "the magic words."

My phone is by ZTE, called a Blade Force. I was told by some that my phone is terrible, and that it would be best not use a phone which operates on CDMA.

Is there a setting to make? Indeed, is it a useless phone, and that I lost $69, the cost of the phone?

I am sorry if I dumped too much on you and the list.

Joe G.

----- Original Message -----
From: Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. <ukekearuaro@valtdnet.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Saturday, March 28, 2020 5:37 pm
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] an android phone home button problem



Joe, can't you just say the "WAKE UP" phrase, "Ok Google or Hey Google,"
listen for the beep and then issue your instructions to GoogleAssistant?

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado




Re: deleting old installs of windows question

Gene
 

The backup process isn't related to whether any remnants exist. I
would expect that although the old version of Windows is backed up,
that there are files used by Windows that are left or that copies of
are placed in the backup file and the originals left in place. You
don't lose programs in an upgrade and some of those programs may need
files such as dll files that the installation placed on the machine
and possibly in the Windows folder, I don't know. But someone with
sufficient technical knowledge will, I hope discuss this. Certainly,
as another example, the Windows 7 registry would have to be somehow
incorporated in Windows 10 because the programs that were installed
while Windows 7 was being used, would almost all have placed entries
in the registry that are necessary for the programs to run.

In short, while the old Windows is backed up, it isn't the case that
those old files are just removed by backing them up. If they were,
you wouldn't have an upgrade. You would have a completely clean
Windows 10 installation and you would have to reinstall all programs.

Someone with more technical knowledge can say if this statement is
correct, but what I think happens is that the old version of Windows
is backed up by copies being made of the files. Then the originals
are used or discarded in the upgrade.

Gene

On 3/28/20, Loy <loyrg2845@gmail.com> wrote:
With a proper windows 10 upgrade from windows, there should not be remnants

left. Windows put all the old Windows 7 files in the windows old file. If
there are programs on Windows that will not run under windows 10, windows
10 upgrade will delete them or ask you to remove them before upgrading.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: <main@techtalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] deleting old installs of windows question


That's different from what is being discussed. That is for reverting
to the version of Windows you had. This is a question about remnants
of the other version of Windows being left on the machine as an
unwanted part of the new Windows version.

Gene

On 3/28/20, Loy <loyrg2845@gmail.com> wrote:
When you upgrade Windows 10, files from the previous version is stored in

a

file called Windows old, in case you wish to go back to previous version

and

after a period of time those files are deleted by Windows.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: <main@techtalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] deleting old installs of windows question


My view is that if the upgrade is working well, don't worry about it.
If you are having problems, I doubt this kind of tinkering will help
and I doubt it can be reasonably done. How would you know what to
look for among all the possible remnants, if any?
Others may know something I don't, but it seems to me that if you are
satisfied, leave things alone. if not, you may have to have a clean
Windows 10. But you don't have to uninstall the upgrade and then
reinstall Windows. Others will, I hope, comment on this, but I
believe there is a reset option in Windows 10 that willl give you a
completely clean Windows 10 just by running the option.

Gene
On 3/28/20, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@gmail.com> wrote:
My computer originally came with windows 7 or 8, not sure which one.
I
took
the option to upgrade ton windows 10 and a friend did it for me.

I heard that an update of windows from an earlier version can still
have
traces of the old OS installed on it (broken files, files that direct
to
functions that are no longer there)

If this is true, where or how do I uninstall or remove these remnents?

Also, I saw on this list taht when you update jaws, the previous
version

is
still kept installed, incase you need to go back and use an older
version

if
the newer version of jaws is well, glitchy.

How would I go about removing the older versions?


Thanks

Keith












Re: deleting old installs of windows question

Loy <loyrg2845@...>
 

With a proper windows 10 upgrade from windows, there should not be remnants left. Windows put all the old Windows 7 files in the windows old file. If there are programs on Windows that will not run under windows 10, windows 10 upgrade will delete them or ask you to remove them before upgrading.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: <main@techtalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] deleting old installs of windows question


That's different from what is being discussed. That is for reverting
to the version of Windows you had. This is a question about remnants
of the other version of Windows being left on the machine as an
unwanted part of the new Windows version.

Gene

On 3/28/20, Loy <loyrg2845@gmail.com> wrote:
When you upgrade Windows 10, files from the previous version is stored in a

file called Windows old, in case you wish to go back to previous version and

after a period of time those files are deleted by Windows.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: <main@techtalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] deleting old installs of windows question


My view is that if the upgrade is working well, don't worry about it.
If you are having problems, I doubt this kind of tinkering will help
and I doubt it can be reasonably done. How would you know what to
look for among all the possible remnants, if any?
Others may know something I don't, but it seems to me that if you are
satisfied, leave things alone. if not, you may have to have a clean
Windows 10. But you don't have to uninstall the upgrade and then
reinstall Windows. Others will, I hope, comment on this, but I
believe there is a reset option in Windows 10 that willl give you a
completely clean Windows 10 just by running the option.

Gene
On 3/28/20, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@gmail.com> wrote:
My computer originally came with windows 7 or 8, not sure which one. I
took
the option to upgrade ton windows 10 and a friend did it for me.

I heard that an update of windows from an earlier version can still have
traces of the old OS installed on it (broken files, files that direct to
functions that are no longer there)

If this is true, where or how do I uninstall or remove these remnents?

Also, I saw on this list taht when you update jaws, the previous version

is
still kept installed, incase you need to go back and use an older version

if
the newer version of jaws is well, glitchy.

How would I go about removing the older versions?


Thanks

Keith








Re: Wifi problem

Allen West
 

Thanks Mike,

I'll give it a try.

Allen

On 3/28/20, Allen West via Groups.Io <alwest0324=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
That is what I was thinking. Do you know of a way to recover them?
Thanks

Allen

On 3/28/20, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io <k_gunness=yahoo.ca@groups.io>
wrote:
it sounds like the wi fy drivers are missing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allen West" <alwest0324@gmail.com>
To: <main@techtalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 10:46 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Wifi problem


Hi All,

Recently, we started working from home and assisting our clients over
the phone. Yesterday, I was asked to help someone connect to the
Internet. This has always been a piece of cake until yesterday. I had
her go to Settings, then Network and Internet. I have always found
Wifi to be right after Status. On her computer both Wifi and Airplane
mode are missing from the list.

If anyone has seen this before and found a work around, can you help us.

Thanks

Allen








Re: Another sorce for audio books

Allen West
 

Mary,

Thanks for this. I used to get music and books from emusic.com until
their site became inaccessible. I have not tried them in three years.

Allen

On 3/28/20, Mary Smith <ms0120@mailbox.org> wrote:
Hello, another good source for audiobooks is a site called Downpour.com.
This site is similar to audible but their membership is a bit cheaper.
You can buy credits for $12.99. The nice thing about this site is that
books are available in mp3 format.


The address for this service is:


www.downpour.com





On 2020-03-28 2:57 p.m., Sharon Hooley wrote:
I took a look at Chirpbooks, how there's no subscription service. I
understand there are great deals right now, but when it's over, I highly
recommend subscribing to Audible, if you haven't already, which gives you
credits for many books that would otherwise cost much more. I have a Gold
membership that's around $15 a month, giving me one credit each. Using it
has saved me a lot of money. For example, I could have bought The Word of
Promise dramatized Bible for around $65 from another website, but was able
to download it with one credit, that is, around $15! I believe you can
save even more by getting a year's subscription over $100 for unlimited
access, if not more credits. And I think that many of the books are not
available on BAARD or Bookshare. I agree, though, it's a good idea to
look at these libraries first.

Hth,

Is it hard to communicate, even with hearing aids? Visit
www.CochlearAmericas.com

On Mar 27, 2020, at 12:14 PM, Loy <loyrg2845@gmail.com> wrote:


I just discovered a source for audio books that I had never heard off
before. With all the shelter in place I thought others might need a
source for more books. It is chirp.com They offer audio books at a big
discount. I just purchased a book retail $24.95 for $1.99.






Re: deleting old installs of windows question

Gene
 

That's different from what is being discussed. That is for reverting
to the version of Windows you had. This is a question about remnants
of the other version of Windows being left on the machine as an
unwanted part of the new Windows version.

Gene

On 3/28/20, Loy <loyrg2845@gmail.com> wrote:
When you upgrade Windows 10, files from the previous version is stored in a

file called Windows old, in case you wish to go back to previous version and

after a period of time those files are deleted by Windows.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: <main@techtalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] deleting old installs of windows question


My view is that if the upgrade is working well, don't worry about it.
If you are having problems, I doubt this kind of tinkering will help
and I doubt it can be reasonably done. How would you know what to
look for among all the possible remnants, if any?
Others may know something I don't, but it seems to me that if you are
satisfied, leave things alone. if not, you may have to have a clean
Windows 10. But you don't have to uninstall the upgrade and then
reinstall Windows. Others will, I hope, comment on this, but I
believe there is a reset option in Windows 10 that willl give you a
completely clean Windows 10 just by running the option.

Gene
On 3/28/20, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@gmail.com> wrote:
My computer originally came with windows 7 or 8, not sure which one. I
took
the option to upgrade ton windows 10 and a friend did it for me.

I heard that an update of windows from an earlier version can still have
traces of the old OS installed on it (broken files, files that direct to
functions that are no longer there)

If this is true, where or how do I uninstall or remove these remnents?

Also, I saw on this list taht when you update jaws, the previous version

is
still kept installed, incase you need to go back and use an older version

if
the newer version of jaws is well, glitchy.

How would I go about removing the older versions?


Thanks

Keith








Re: deleting old installs of windows question

Loy <loyrg2845@...>
 

When you upgrade Windows 10, files from the previous version is stored in a file called Windows old, in case you wish to go back to previous version and after a period of time those files are deleted by Windows.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: <main@techtalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] deleting old installs of windows question


My view is that if the upgrade is working well, don't worry about it.
If you are having problems, I doubt this kind of tinkering will help
and I doubt it can be reasonably done. How would you know what to
look for among all the possible remnants, if any?
Others may know something I don't, but it seems to me that if you are
satisfied, leave things alone. if not, you may have to have a clean
Windows 10. But you don't have to uninstall the upgrade and then
reinstall Windows. Others will, I hope, comment on this, but I
believe there is a reset option in Windows 10 that willl give you a
completely clean Windows 10 just by running the option.

Gene
On 3/28/20, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@gmail.com> wrote:
My computer originally came with windows 7 or 8, not sure which one. I took
the option to upgrade ton windows 10 and a friend did it for me.

I heard that an update of windows from an earlier version can still have
traces of the old OS installed on it (broken files, files that direct to
functions that are no longer there)

If this is true, where or how do I uninstall or remove these remnents?

Also, I saw on this list taht when you update jaws, the previous version is
still kept installed, incase you need to go back and use an older version if
the newer version of jaws is well, glitchy.

How would I go about removing the older versions?


Thanks

Keith




Re: Another sorce for audio books

Mary Smith
 

Hello, another good source for audiobooks is a site called Downpour.com. This site is similar to audible but their membership is a bit cheaper. You can buy credits for $12.99. The nice thing about this site is that books are available in mp3 format.


The address for this service is:


www.downpour.com

On 2020-03-28 2:57 p.m., Sharon Hooley wrote:
I took a look at Chirpbooks, how there's no subscription service. I understand there are great deals right now, but when it's over, I highly recommend subscribing to Audible, if you haven't already, which gives you credits for many books that would otherwise cost much more. I have a Gold membership that's around $15 a month, giving me one credit each. Using it has saved me a lot of money. For example, I could have bought The Word of Promise dramatized Bible for around $65 from another website, but was able to download it with one credit, that is, around $15! I believe you can save even more by getting a year's subscription over $100 for unlimited access, if not more credits. And I think that many of the books are not available on BAARD or Bookshare. I agree, though, it's a good idea to look at these libraries first.

Hth,

Is it hard to communicate, even with hearing aids? Visit
www.CochlearAmericas.com

On Mar 27, 2020, at 12:14 PM, Loy <loyrg2845@gmail.com> wrote:


I just discovered a source for audio books that I had never heard off before. With all the shelter in place I thought others might need a source for more books. It is chirp.com They offer audio books at a big discount. I just purchased a book retail $24.95 for $1.99.


Re: HP preinstalled software question

Gene
 

But if this is a new machine, why bother? Will installing a clean
version of Windows void the warranty and the return policy? If a new
machine has something obviously wrong with it, I wouldn't try to
repair or correct the problem. You wouldn't do so with products in
general. Why not just return it for something else? Manufactured
computers shouldn't have any such problems. The description, taking
five minutes to load a web page is completely outside of any expected
bahavior.

Gene

On 3/28/20, Rob Hudson <rob_hudson_3182@gmx.com> wrote:
Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:
Preinstalled software wouldn't cause this problem. If it did, the
company would be bankrupt unless it did something about it.
To add to this, it certainly isn't helping you, either. Go ahead and remove
it.
There are all kinds of packages preinstalled on these things that you don't
really need, like McAfee and background maintenance services, and photo
packages. If at all possible I suggest doing a fresh, clean install of w10
from a Microsoft provided iso. Wipe everything and start clean. That's what
I did with my new Dell a couple of weeks ago.




Re: deleting old installs of windows question

Gene
 

My view is that if the upgrade is working well, don't worry about it.
If you are having problems, I doubt this kind of tinkering will help
and I doubt it can be reasonably done. How would you know what to
look for among all the possible remnants, if any?
Others may know something I don't, but it seems to me that if you are
satisfied, leave things alone. if not, you may have to have a clean
Windows 10. But you don't have to uninstall the upgrade and then
reinstall Windows. Others will, I hope, comment on this, but I
believe there is a reset option in Windows 10 that willl give you a
completely clean Windows 10 just by running the option.

Gene

On 3/28/20, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@gmail.com> wrote:
My computer originally came with windows 7 or 8, not sure which one. I took
the option to upgrade ton windows 10 and a friend did it for me.

I heard that an update of windows from an earlier version can still have
traces of the old OS installed on it (broken files, files that direct to
functions that are no longer there)

If this is true, where or how do I uninstall or remove these remnents?

Also, I saw on this list taht when you update jaws, the previous version is
still kept installed, incase you need to go back and use an older version if
the newer version of jaws is well, glitchy.

How would I go about removing the older versions?


Thanks

Keith




Re: an android phone home button problem

Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.
 

Joe, can't you just say the "WAKE UP" phrase, "Ok Google or Hey Google,"
listen for the beep and then issue your instructions to GoogleAssistant?

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado


Re: Wifi problem

Mike B.
 


Try going into Control panel / Device manager and find the wireless card in there and check the driver status.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!
I didn't stop shaking hands because of, COVID-19, I stopped because noone can buy toilet paper!
But, good news!  Due to the hording of toilet paper the LA Times is temporarily changing it's name to:  The Daily Wipe!

----- Original Message -----
From: Allen West
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 1:06 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Wifi problem

That is what I was thinking. Do you know of a way to recover them?
Thanks

Allen

On 3/28/20, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io <k_gunness@...> wrote:
> it sounds like the wi fy drivers are missing
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Allen West" <alwest0324@...>
> To: <main@techtalk.groups.io>
> Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 10:46 AM
> Subject: [TechTalk] Wifi problem
>
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Recently, we started working from home and assisting our clients over
>> the phone. Yesterday, I was asked to help someone connect to the
>> Internet. This has always been a piece of cake until yesterday. I had
>> her go to Settings, then Network and Internet. I have always found
>> Wifi to be right after Status. On her computer both Wifi and Airplane
>> mode are missing from the list.
>>
>> If anyone has seen this before and found a work around, can you help us.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Allen
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>



an android phone home button problem

Joe Giovanelli
 

Good afternoon,

I have an Android phone and am relatively new to the smart phone world.

I was told that if Google Assistant is set up and Talkback is running that I could press Home for a couple of seconds. After releasing it, I could ask Assistant to make a call. It doesn't happen.

I'm wondering if it is pilot error or if there is something which must be set correctly in order for this feature to work. Perhaps my information was wrong and that it does not work.

I'd appreciate it anyone has a clue about this.

Thank you very much.

Joe Giovanelli, W2PVY


deleting old installs of windows question

Keith S
 

My computer originally came with windows 7 or 8, not sure which one.  I took the option to upgrade ton windows 10 and a friend did it for me.
 
I heard that an update of windows from an earlier version can still have traces of the old OS installed on it (broken files, files that direct to functions that are no longer there)
 
If this is true, where or how do I uninstall or remove these remnents?
 
Also, I saw on this list taht when you update jaws, the previous version is still kept installed, incase you need to go back and use an older version if the newer version of jaws is well, glitchy.
 
How would I go about removing the older versions?
 
 
Thanks
 
Keith


Re: Wifi problem

Allen West
 

That is what I was thinking. Do you know of a way to recover them?
Thanks

Allen

On 3/28/20, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io <k_gunness=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
it sounds like the wi fy drivers are missing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allen West" <alwest0324@gmail.com>
To: <main@techtalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 10:46 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Wifi problem


Hi All,

Recently, we started working from home and assisting our clients over
the phone. Yesterday, I was asked to help someone connect to the
Internet. This has always been a piece of cake until yesterday. I had
her go to Settings, then Network and Internet. I have always found
Wifi to be right after Status. On her computer both Wifi and Airplane
mode are missing from the list.

If anyone has seen this before and found a work around, can you help us.

Thanks

Allen






Re: talking radio?

Gerald Levy
 

Out of curiosity, I searched Ebay.co myself, and found a US-based seller that has the Sangean PR-D17 for about 77 pounds, or about $95 with free overseas shipping to the UK:


https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sangean-PR-D17-AM-FM-RDS-Portable-Radio-Specially-Designed-for-The-Visually-I/264607675093?hash=item3d9bd8b2d5:g:-RUAAOSwTpleKHaw


Gerald

On 3/28/2020 3:18 PM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

Okay, since this radio is no longer available on Amazon.co, try Ebay.co.  Just type "sangean pr-d17" into the search field, and see if you get any results.  If you can find a new one for about 77 pounds, consider buying it.


Gerald



On 3/28/2020 11:14 AM, Billy Inglis wrote:
i Gerald, unfortunetly Amazon.com DO not ship to my region.

On 28/03/2020 10:35, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

Amazon is currently selling the Sangean PR-D17 for $74.53, their lowest price ever:


https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PR-D17-Portable-Specially-Designed/dp/B07T7CP63M



Gerald



On 3/28/2020 4:07 AM, Fanus wrote:
Look at the Sangean pr-17, it is amazing.
Regards
Fanus


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Billy Inglis
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 9:29 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] talking radio?

hi guys, Looking for a talking radio from Amazon if possible.












Re: HP preinstalled software question

Rob Hudson
 

Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:
Preinstalled software wouldn't cause this problem. If it did, the
company would be bankrupt unless it did something about it.
To add to this, it certainly isn't helping you, either. Go ahead and remove it.
There are all kinds of packages preinstalled on these things that you don't really need, like McAfee and background maintenance services, and photo packages. If at all possible I suggest doing a fresh, clean install of w10 from a Microsoft provided iso. Wipe everything and start clean. That's what I did with my new Dell a couple of weeks ago.


Re: HP preinstalled software question

Gene
 

Preinstalled software wouldn't cause this problem. If it did, the
company would be bankrupt unless it did something about it. If this
is a new computer, I would suggest exchanging it for a different
brand. This behavior isn't remotely normal or expected.

Gene

On 3/28/20, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@gmail.com> wrote:
Anyone using an HP computer running windows 10 and Jaws:

Is it imparative that I keep these preinstalled HP proprietary software
programs installed, or can I remove them from my HP laptop?

I am trying to figure out what is slowing my system down so much taht it
takes over 5 minutes for a firefox webpage to load on my computer.

Also, I tought computers were supposed to allow multi-tasking, but if I have
more than 2 things open, my system almost stalls, like a jet fighter getting
caught in another jet's airflow.

Thanks

Keith




HP preinstalled software question

Keith S
 

Anyone using  an HP computer running  windows 10 and Jaws:
 
Is it imparative that I keep these preinstalled HP proprietary software programs installed, or can I remove them from my HP laptop?
 
I am trying to figure out what is slowing my system down so much taht it takes over 5 minutes for a firefox webpage to load on my computer.
 
Also, I tought computers were supposed to allow multi-tasking, but if I have more than 2 things open, my system almost stalls, like a jet fighter getting caught in another jet's airflow.
 
Thanks
 
Keith


Re: Wifi problem

Kerryn Gunness <k_gunness@...>
 

it sounds like the wi fy drivers are missing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allen West" <alwest0324@gmail.com>
To: <main@techtalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 10:46 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Wifi problem


Hi All,

Recently, we started working from home and assisting our clients over
the phone. Yesterday, I was asked to help someone connect to the
Internet. This has always been a piece of cake until yesterday. I had
her go to Settings, then Network and Internet. I have always found
Wifi to be right after Status. On her computer both Wifi and Airplane
mode are missing from the list.

If anyone has seen this before and found a work around, can you help us.

Thanks

Allen

14081 - 14100 of 101783