Date   

Re: NVDA and Internet Security Programmes

David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>
 

For around five years I used NVDA with Kaspersky Antivirus, which does not include some of the features found in their more fully featured security suites. I switched to it due to its fabulous reviews and test scores. Its accessibility left a lot to be desired but I was able to use NVDA to allow me to get access to most of its features. Object navigation is definitely your friend with this program. NVDA handled it well enough until Kaspersky Antivirus 2021 was released and accessibility took even more of a hit. Contacting Kaspersky produced less than satisfactory results and I regrettably chose to uninstall their software and I used Defender exclusively for a while. Later I added MalwareBytes and I'm reasonably happy with that combination. If you do switch to Kaspersky NVDA might be the best screen reader to access the program and, in fact, it did a better job than its competition. A few years ago I wrote a blog post where I chronicled my experiences using Kaspersky Antivirus with NVDA. While Kaspersky has changed a bit with the 2021 release I doubt that any aspect of it has improved and so the blog post will give you a good idea of what to expect. I may give the software another chance and compose an updated blog post if I feel motivated enough and am willing to take the time to do it.
If there are further questions I'll be happy to answer them but the chat subgroup might wind up being a better place to discuss this if we start moving away from NVDA's role in accessing this software. I would respectfully ask that people not send me private, off-list emails containing questions about this. For a variety of reasons posting questions to a public list is always preferred.

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 12/8/2020 10:15 AM, Samuel Wilkins wrote:

Hello all, I’m looking into replacing ESET on my computer, as it doesn’t work that well with NVDA.  I’m thinking of either Bitdefender Total Security , Norton 360 Deluxe, and Kaspersky Total Security, as they have all received high reviews.  Can anyone tell me which would be the most accessible with NVDA?  Thank you. 



Re: tape to mp3

Gene
 

There are such machines but I'd be suspicious of the quality of a lot of them. I wonder, for example, how many allow you to use Dolby in the transfer. I'm not saying you can't get a machine that will do this well or reasonably well, but if the situation is similar to that regarding turntables that are used for this, be careful and look for a good machine.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: heather albright
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2020 1:46 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] tape to mp3



Hay has anyone had any success of taking old tape cassettes and transferring the media to mp3 format? I saw a cassette player that had mp3 as well off amazon. It claimed you can put your old media directly to mp3 format with this player. So thought to ask the list, is it this simple or is there something else one needs to do. I am trying to empty my mom’s cassette box. Cheers Heather



Sent from Mail for Windows 10


Re: NVDA and Internet Security Programmes

Nimer Jaber
 

Hello,

While I do think that the Windows tools are adequate these days, I use Sophos, and find it doable. The program can be controlled using a web interface which, while not great, is very much workable. Unfortunately, their user interface within the app is not accessible, but I have never run into anything I needed to do within the app that I could not do using the web interface.

Thanks.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 2:18 PM David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...> wrote:
Hi. I am one of those users who uses Microsoft Defender along with the
commercial version of MalwareBytes. I have MalwareBytes set up to allow
Defender's real time protection  to continue to run in the background as
I would not want to trust MalwareBytes as my sole antimalware program.
Its accessibility, while not perfect, is fairly good and will allow you
to access nearly all of its functions.

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org

On 12/8/2020 10:32 AM, Gene wrote:
> I'm not saying you won't find something, but its worth noting that
> Microsoft Security Essentials, that is what it used to be called, in
> Windows 10 and maybe Windows 8, Windows defender, is well regarded
> now.  It wasn't for a while but it now is.  I'm not recommending it
> over other possible choices, I don't know what else may be available. 
> But many blind people use it, in part because of the difficulty of
> finding a properly accessible program. Many blind people use  it in
> combination with Malware Bytes but I don't know if there are
> accessibility problems with that program now.
>
> Gene
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Samuel Wilkins
> Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2020 9:15 AM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
> Subject: [TechTalk] NVDA and Internet Security Programmes
>
>
>
> Hello all, I’m looking into replacing ESET on my computer, as it
> doesn’t work that well with NVDA.  I’m thinking of either Bitdefender
> Total Security , Norton 360 Deluxe, and Kaspersky Total Security, as
> they have all received high reviews.  Can anyone tell me which would
> be the most accessible with NVDA? Thank you.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>








--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly.

Thank you, and have a great day!


Re: NVDA and Internet Security Programmes

David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>
 

Hi. I am one of those users who uses Microsoft Defender along with the commercial version of MalwareBytes. I have MalwareBytes set up to allow Defender's real time protection  to continue to run in the background as I would not want to trust MalwareBytes as my sole antimalware program. Its accessibility, while not perfect, is fairly good and will allow you to access nearly all of its functions.

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org

On 12/8/2020 10:32 AM, Gene wrote:
I'm not saying you won't find something, but its worth noting that Microsoft Security Essentials, that is what it used to be called, in Windows 10 and maybe Windows 8, Windows defender, is well regarded now.  It wasn't for a while but it now is.  I'm not recommending it over other possible choices, I don't know what else may be available.  But many blind people use it, in part because of the difficulty of finding a properly accessible program. Many blind people use  it in combination with Malware Bytes but I don't know if there are accessibility problems with that program now.

Gene

-----Original Message----- From: Samuel Wilkins
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2020 9:15 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] NVDA and Internet Security Programmes



Hello all, I’m looking into replacing ESET on my computer, as it doesn’t work that well with NVDA.  I’m thinking of either Bitdefender Total Security , Norton 360 Deluxe, and Kaspersky Total Security, as they have all received high reviews.  Can anyone tell me which would be the most accessible with NVDA? Thank you.







Re: tape to mp3

David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>
 

Hi, Heather.
There are several ways in which you could convert cassette tapes into digital MP3 files and I am hardly an expert in this.
I used a Plextalk Pocket to do this. The Pocket is a small Daisy player, similar in many ways to the Victor Stream. The Pocket, which I believe is no longer being updated, is a great recording device. I just connected the Pocket to a tape player and recorded directly onto the Pocket. I then connected the Pocket to my computer's USB port and transferred the files to my PC. I imagine you could do a similar transfer with the Victor Stream. There are also software packages which could probably allow you to record directly from your computer. Audacity is free of cost and others, such as Gold Wave or Total Recorder, are reasonably priced.


David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 12/8/2020 2:46 PM, heather albright wrote:

Hay has anyone had any success of taking old tape cassettes and transferring the media to mp3 format? I saw a cassette player that had mp3 as well off amazon. It claimed you can put your old media directly to mp3 format with this player. So thought to ask the list, is it this simple or is there something else one needs to do. I am trying to empty my mom’s cassette box. Cheers Heather

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 



tape to mp3

heather albright
 

Hay has anyone had any success of taking old tape cassettes and transferring the media to mp3 format? I saw a cassette player that had mp3 as well off amazon. It claimed you can put your old media directly to mp3 format with this player. So thought to ask the list, is it this simple or is there something else one needs to do. I am trying to empty my mom’s cassette box. Cheers Heather

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


Re: NVDA and Internet Security Programmes

Samuel Wilkins
 

Hello Hope, I'm using Windows 10. What's the name of the current security
package that is used with Windows 10?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hope
Williamson
Sent: 08 December 2020 18:11
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] NVDA and Internet Security Programmes

Hi, all of these are unnecessary, especially with Windows 10. If you still
have Windows 7, security essentials might still be out there, and it does 
the job without slowing down the system, and using up system resources.
Looks like it still exists,

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

    Also if you're still on 7, having an updated browser is important, so
not IE. Something that will update regularly. Although they won't support
Windows 7 forever, so you'll need to upgrade eventually.


Re: NVDA and Internet Security Programmes

Hope Williamson
 

Hi, all of these are unnecessary, especially with Windows 10. If you
still have Windows 7, security essentials might still be out there, and
it does  the job without slowing down the system, and using up system
resources. Looks like it still exists,

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

    Also if you're still on 7, having an updated browser is important,
so not IE. Something that will update regularly. Although they won't
support Windows 7 forever, so you'll need to upgrade eventually.


Re: one more Blindshell phone question

Laz
 

No, not me Terri. Someone named Joseph Hudson had been telling people
in the recent past on several lists that they should use Consumer
Cellular...

We use H2O on the AT&T towers which seems to work the best with the
Blindshell classic phone and they have better customer support than
all the other companies with which we've had experience.

Stay safe and Happy Holidays!

Laz

On 12/8/20, Terrilynne Pomeroy <tl717375@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Laz,
As I recall, a few months ago you were telling people about the Consumer
Cellular plan you could sign them up for when they purchased the BlindShell.
I noticed that you are now using A T&T. I am currently trying to decide
which phone as well as which company to go with. So I am wondering why the
change?

Thanks much,

TerriLynne


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Laz
Sent: Sunday, December 6, 2020 3:54 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions

Hi Monte, I've tested MP3 and text files. The Blindshell classic uses it's
TTS voices to read any books in text format. It probably plays OGG, WAV and
other files which Android supports as well.

Stay safe,

Laz

On 12/6/20, Monte Single <mrsingle@sasktel.net> wrote:
Hi Laz,

Which book formats will the BSC read?

Cheers,

Monte

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Laz
Sent: December 6, 2020 10:48 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions

It has a few more apps which benefit the blind user such as a color
identifier, object tagging, music player, book reader, as well as a
translator.

Stay safe,

Laz

On 12/5/20, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:
Since the browser in my phone isn't accessible enough to use to any
extent,

it sounds as though the Shell phone does pretty much what my phone
does and

a certain amount more. I can't listen to radio stations, though I
wouldn't

spend extra money for a phone just for that. I do value the FM radio
my phone makes available and I know the Blind Shell Phone also has one.

I might spend a certain amount extra for that feature.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Smith via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2020 6:12 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions

Yes, the phone definitely has a youtube app as well as the ability to
listen to internet radio stations.


On 2020-12-05 6:52 p.m., Gene wrote:
That's interesting. I wonder what system it uses for operation
with speech. it would be interesting if any of the well recognized
assistants

can do this. As I think about it, I suspect they can and that the
limitation I spoke of is likely on my phone, not of the assistant.
If an

assistant is used in The Shell Phone, it should be able to do all
sorts of

things.

I wonder if the phone has a built-in Youtube app, allowing you to
listen to music and other content on Youtube.

Gene

-----Original Message----- From: Laz
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2020 5:23 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions

Yes, or by contact name if the person is in your contacts.

Laz

On 12/5/20, Gerald Levy via groups.io
<bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io>

wrote:

Does the BlindShell have the ability to dial phone numbers by digit
using voice commands?


Gerald



On 12/5/2020 5:11 PM, Laz wrote:
Monte, You left out the ability to dictate email messages.

Laz

On 12/5/20, Monte Single <mrsingle@sasktel.net> wrote:
Hi List,

The Blind Shell Classic is an interesting animal.
It has a combination of features that I like; First, it has keys
you can feel. Smart phone don't, there may be an exception.
Second, you can dictate text messages to the Blind Shell Classic.
So-called "feature" phones do have buttons, but you cannot
dictate text messages.
So, personally, I am living with a second-hand I phone 7 to
which I can dictate text messages, but it has no buttons.
When it comes to entering info, passwords, codes, card numbers,
etc, on a smart phone, I'm a clutz.

I would buy a Blind Shell Classic, but right now, it's just a bit
pricey
given the difference between the value of the Canadian and US
dollars.
Personally I don't care that the Blind Shell Classic does not
have a browser.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Cheers, and live safely,

Monte
-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf
Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: December 5, 2020 3:39 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions

Oh yes, I did hear that the Shell does not have a browser.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: Saturday, December 5, 2020 12:34 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions

Hi Olusegun,

I think that user installed apps is not a feature of the blind
shell classic; the blind shell classic does not have a browser.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf
Of Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.
Sent: December 5, 2020 11:23 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions

Terrilynne, pardon me for being behind the curtains! I'm
thinking you have a smart toy of some kind like many of us in this
space.

For the Breaking News you're receiving from your local radio
station, did you have to install an app on your smart toy?

If YES in the affirmative, you'll need to know whether or not you
can install your own preferred apps on the Blindshell toy because
if you can't, you'd need to weigh your options carefully with
regards to adopting it into your smart toy family. For me, to
receive news from the New York Times as an example, I must
install its app on any of my toys dedicated for such business.

A Push Notification, if enabled on a smart toy, simply alerts you
when there's something cooking with respect to an app that
supports it.
Example,
I have the Robinhood app installed on my toys; I'm monitoring a
few stocks; so, each day as the market closes, the app pushes to
me a notification that lets me know how well the stocks I'm
monitoring did for that particular day.
Some E-mail apps support Push Notification and will work the same
way.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado



































--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Player/book Reader, Victor
Reader Stream & Trek, blindshell Classic phone, Bluetooth devices, and
accessories http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121
Personal Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/laz.mesa
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Talkingmp3players?_rdr











--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Player/book Reader, Victor Reader
Stream & Trek, blindshell Classic phone, Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121
Personal Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/laz.mesa
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Talkingmp3players?_rdr











--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Player/book Reader, Victor
Reader Stream & Trek, blindshell Classic phone, Bluetooth devices, and
accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121
Personal Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/laz.mesa
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Talkingmp3players?_rdr


Re: two firefox questions

Vicki W
 

Thank you. I'll give this a try.

Vicki

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2020 6:54 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] two firefox questions


Here is one way to set a home page:
In Firefox, open tools with alt t. Then open options by typing o.
Turn off the virtual PC cursor with JAWS key z. If you are using NVDA, turn off browse mode with NVDA key space.
Shift tab until you get to a list, about three times. You will be on general. Down arrow to home.
Tab to New windows and tabs. You will be in a combo box that has to do with the home page.
Up or down arro, I'm not sure what the default is, until you find custom URLS.
Tab once to paste a URL. Paste one or write one. I don't know how much you should write, https://www.etc. or just something like nytimes.com. You can experiment. That's evidently all you do, there is no ok button or equivalent.

I'll send a message about changing the search engine later.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
-----Original Message-----
From: Vicki W
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2020 6:17 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] two firefox questions


Hi,

I'm having trouble setting up the homepage and switching the search engine in Firefox. Any easy ways to do this?

Thanks.

Vicki







Re: NVDA and Internet Security Programmes

Gene
 

I'm not saying you won't find something, but its worth noting that Microsoft Security Essentials, that is what it used to be called, in Windows 10 and maybe Windows 8, Windows defender, is well regarded now. It wasn't for a while but it now is. I'm not recommending it over other possible choices, I don't know what else may be available. But many blind people use it, in part because of the difficulty of finding a properly accessible program. Many blind people use it in combination with Malware Bytes but I don't know if there are accessibility problems with that program now.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Samuel Wilkins
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2020 9:15 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] NVDA and Internet Security Programmes



Hello all, I’m looking into replacing ESET on my computer, as it doesn’t work that well with NVDA. I’m thinking of either Bitdefender Total Security , Norton 360 Deluxe, and Kaspersky Total Security, as they have all received high reviews. Can anyone tell me which would be the most accessible with NVDA? Thank you.


NVDA and Internet Security Programmes

Samuel Wilkins
 

Hello all, I’m looking into replacing ESET on my computer, as it doesn’t work that well with NVDA.  I’m thinking of either Bitdefender Total Security , Norton 360 Deluxe, and Kaspersky Total Security, as they have all received high reviews.  Can anyone tell me which would be the most accessible with NVDA?  Thank you. 


Issue with opening links from an email.

Jessica M
 

Hi all,
Recently, I've been experiencing some interesting behavior when trying to open links from emails. Previously, I'd hit enter on a link, and Firefox would open the corresponding Web page. A few days ago, the issue started where instead of opening up a Web page, I get a message that says I'll need an app to open the page, and the only option I have is to look for an app in the Microsoft store. I can't choose a program from my computer. Has anyone had this issue, or can point me in the right direction to fix it? Thanks.


Re: Something missing from the NVDA menu?

David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>
 

Sharon, I understand that you're not hearing some of the options and this can make it difficult to tell us exactly where you are in the menu when the problem occurs. However, what I'm asking is that you write down each keystroke you are pressing along with what you hear as you press it. Otherwise, it may be very difficult for us to help you to figure out what is happening. Also, would you tell us which speech synthesizer you are using with NVDA?

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org

On 12/7/2020 10:59 PM, Sharon Hooley wrote:
I can't tell which option I'm on when I hear just keys.



On 12/7/2020 2:25 PM, David Goldfield wrote:
Sharon,
I suspect that your problem might be that your punctuation level is either set to none or some punctuation. Could you tell us specifically what option you are pointing to when this occurs? Please give us detailed steps to reproduce the issue.

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.davidgoldfield.org%2F&;data=04%7C01%7C%7C8ee7b6436d8a45d5d50308d89b2db23c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637429967843623187%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=7%2B346s9nBQ7nK6eaXkpP4jUAYJ0Pq5NVPsDrVJ6KhQ8%3D&amp;reserved=0

On 12/7/2020 1:27 PM, Sharon Hooley wrote:
Hi,

Nowadays when I navigate options in NVDA, I frequently encounter just announcements such as alt, and Alt plus.  Maybe that's why I can't seem to navigate the menu?  Is there a missing script, or an adjustment I must make in the latest version of Windows 10?  Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,


Is it hard to communicate, even with hearing aids?  Visit
https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cochlearamericas.com%2F&;data=04%7C01%7C%7C8ee7b6436d8a45d5d50308d89b2db23c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637429967843623187%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=ZdJUhqDsZu3%2FTgQSDFY6M5jShuF2izszedF4XeK39yE%3D&amp;reserved=0










Re: thunderbird 78.5.1 accessibility configuration

David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>
 

I also have JAWS set to speak hotkeys or, as they are called, access keys within dialog boxes for exactly the reason you stated. It can be helpful to hear that a specific hotkey is associated with a certain control within a dialog box.

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org

On 12/8/2020 5:23 AM, Shelly Kane wrote:
David:


Thank you for letting me know what all this means.  I am just going to do things the way I have been doing them.  I don't usually send out mass mailings.  It's usually to one person so I won't need this extra field but thanks again for explaining it. As for the Jaws hot keys, I won't be turning that off.  I will just deal with it.  Sometimes, I like that to be announced.  At least I have a better understand of what's going on with the new update. So glad that I can post on this list and get answers.  I would be lost without it.

Shelly

On 12/7/2020 4:57 AM, David Goldfield wrote:
Shelly,
In Thunderbird when you tab from the to: field you are probably hearing something like
To with one address, use left arrow key to focus on it. Edit
This is somewhat new with Thunderbird and I believe this was introduced with releases starting with version 78.
Essentially, when you hear this you can press left arrow to move to a block of text containing the address that you entered. If you added more than one address pressing left arrow will not move character by character as it usually does but it will move from one email address to the next, similar to how Outlook behaves. Pressing the delete key will remove the address which you are focused on. Pressing enter will allow you to edit that address, allowing left and right arrow keys to move from one character to the next.
The prompt you are hearing in the spell checker which says "alt w" is JAWS reminding you that pressing alt-W moves to the edit field where you can edit the currently suggested word. If this annoys you this prompt can be turned off by going to the JAWS window, opening the Basics menu and setting "speak access keys" to the "off" option. Unfortunately, this is a global setting and doing this means that JAWS would then stop speaking these hotkeys or access keys in all applications, which you may or may not want.

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

https://apc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.davidgoldfield.org%2F&;data=04%7C01%7C%7C896f6ac45a784d99393308d89b522fd5%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637430124576549974%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=zepBYip86dqcKSlPcgUUCi2vQhp4gD6Ro1TNiEJpVc4%3D&amp;reserved=0

On 12/7/2020 5:07 AM, Shelly Kane wrote:
Hi Group:


Since I have updated to the new Thunderbird 78.5, it has changed a little for me.  When I go to send an email, there is an extra box before the subject.  I forgot what it says but I just tab to subject and then it seems to be fine.  Is there any way to get rid of this?  I have also noticed when I hit F7 to spell check, when it lands on a word that isn't spelled right, it will tell me and then it will say control W when I tab and it never did before.  It seems to have these added things that aren't necessary.  Do any of you know if there will be another update to correct this or are we going to just have to deal with it? Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.  I'm currently using the newest Jaws which is Jaws 2021.

Shelly

On 12/5/2020 11:14 AM, David Mehler wrote:
Hello,

I just did a Thunderbird upgrade. I'm running v78.5.1 with NVDA
v2020.3. It seems as if this new Thunderbird overwrote my previous
configuration, my accounts are still there but it seems to be bringing
up a lot of extra boxes, adverts, web pages, etc. I was wondering if
anyone had a thunderbird taming setup?

Thanks.
Dave.














one more Blindshell phone question

Terrilynne Pomeroy
 

Hi Laz,
As I recall, a few months ago you were telling people about the Consumer Cellular plan you could sign them up for when they purchased the BlindShell. I noticed that you are now using A T&T. I am currently trying to decide which phone as well as which company to go with. So I am wondering why the change?

Thanks much,

TerriLynne

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Laz
Sent: Sunday, December 6, 2020 3:54 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions

Hi Monte, I've tested MP3 and text files. The Blindshell classic uses it's TTS voices to read any books in text format. It probably plays OGG, WAV and other files which Android supports as well.

Stay safe,

Laz

On 12/6/20, Monte Single <mrsingle@sasktel.net> wrote:
Hi Laz,

Which book formats will the BSC read?

Cheers,

Monte

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Laz
Sent: December 6, 2020 10:48 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions

It has a few more apps which benefit the blind user such as a color
identifier, object tagging, music player, book reader, as well as a
translator.

Stay safe,

Laz

On 12/5/20, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:
Since the browser in my phone isn't accessible enough to use to any
extent,

it sounds as though the Shell phone does pretty much what my phone
does and

a certain amount more. I can't listen to radio stations, though I
wouldn't

spend extra money for a phone just for that. I do value the FM radio
my phone makes available and I know the Blind Shell Phone also has one.

I might spend a certain amount extra for that feature.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Smith via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2020 6:12 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions

Yes, the phone definitely has a youtube app as well as the ability to
listen to internet radio stations.


On 2020-12-05 6:52 p.m., Gene wrote:
That's interesting. I wonder what system it uses for operation
with speech. it would be interesting if any of the well recognized
assistants

can do this. As I think about it, I suspect they can and that the
limitation I spoke of is likely on my phone, not of the assistant.
If an

assistant is used in The Shell Phone, it should be able to do all
sorts of

things.

I wonder if the phone has a built-in Youtube app, allowing you to
listen to music and other content on Youtube.

Gene

-----Original Message----- From: Laz
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2020 5:23 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions

Yes, or by contact name if the person is in your contacts.

Laz

On 12/5/20, Gerald Levy via groups.io
<bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io>

wrote:

Does the BlindShell have the ability to dial phone numbers by digit
using voice commands?


Gerald



On 12/5/2020 5:11 PM, Laz wrote:
Monte, You left out the ability to dictate email messages.

Laz

On 12/5/20, Monte Single <mrsingle@sasktel.net> wrote:
Hi List,

The Blind Shell Classic is an interesting animal.
It has a combination of features that I like; First, it has keys
you can feel. Smart phone don't, there may be an exception.
Second, you can dictate text messages to the Blind Shell Classic.
So-called "feature" phones do have buttons, but you cannot
dictate text messages.
So, personally, I am living with a second-hand I phone 7 to
which I can dictate text messages, but it has no buttons.
When it comes to entering info, passwords, codes, card numbers,
etc, on a smart phone, I'm a clutz.

I would buy a Blind Shell Classic, but right now, it's just a bit
pricey
given the difference between the value of the Canadian and US
dollars.
Personally I don't care that the Blind Shell Classic does not
have a browser.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Cheers, and live safely,

Monte
-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf
Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: December 5, 2020 3:39 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions

Oh yes, I did hear that the Shell does not have a browser.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: Saturday, December 5, 2020 12:34 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions

Hi Olusegun,

I think that user installed apps is not a feature of the blind
shell classic; the blind shell classic does not have a browser.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf
Of Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.
Sent: December 5, 2020 11:23 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Blindshell phone questions

Terrilynne, pardon me for being behind the curtains! I'm
thinking you have a smart toy of some kind like many of us in this space.

For the Breaking News you're receiving from your local radio
station, did you have to install an app on your smart toy?

If YES in the affirmative, you'll need to know whether or not you
can install your own preferred apps on the Blindshell toy because
if you can't, you'd need to weigh your options carefully with
regards to adopting it into your smart toy family. For me, to
receive news from the New York Times as an example, I must
install its app on any of my toys dedicated for such business.

A Push Notification, if enabled on a smart toy, simply alerts you
when there's something cooking with respect to an app that
supports it.
Example,
I have the Robinhood app installed on my toys; I'm monitoring a
few stocks; so, each day as the market closes, the app pushes to
me a notification that lets me know how well the stocks I'm
monitoring did for that particular day.
Some E-mail apps support Push Notification and will work the same
way.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado



































--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Player/book Reader, Victor
Reader Stream & Trek, blindshell Classic phone, Bluetooth devices, and
accessories http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121
Personal Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/laz.mesa
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Talkingmp3players?_rdr











--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Player/book Reader, Victor Reader Stream & Trek, blindshell Classic phone, Bluetooth devices, and accessories http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121
Personal Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/laz.mesa
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Talkingmp3players?_rdr


Re: getting rid of tables

Vicky Vaughan
 

Hi Madison, I believe you can copy the table and then paste it into NotePad,
that will strip out all formatting. You can then copy that version and put
it into what ever form you want.

HTH.

Vicky V

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Madison
Martin
Sent: Monday, December 7, 2020 11:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] getting rid of tables

Hi all,
Can someone please tell me how to get rid of a table in a Word document? I
copied something from an email, and now it's in a table and I don't want it
like that. Using Jaws 2018, Windows 10 version 2004 and Word 2013. Thanks
Madison











--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Re: thunderbird 78.5.1 accessibility configuration

Gene
 

I'll add that I see from a later post you made that you usually only write to one person. In that case, either add the address and press tab or enter. Either one tells the program that you have added an address and you will be in the to line. At first, when there is nothing there, you are just in an edit field. That is also the to line but there are no addresses so its just an edit field. When you add an address, the to line changes. You aren't placed in a new field, you are still in the to line, but since an address is now in the to line, the line changes and you hear what you hear as to instructions and you now can left arrow to get to the address if you want to edit or delete it. Sometimes, a field will change in some way when you place information in it if it is empty previously. That is what is happening here.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Gene via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2020 2:46 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] thunderbird 78.5.1 accessibility configuration

If it helps you understand it, this isn't a mysterious field that is there
for some reason. You are really working with the to line. When you first
type an address and either tab or press enter, you are placed in the field.
You may hear an announcement such as one, left arrow to select. You are
still in an edit field where you can type another address, use autocomplete,
etc. Add as many addresses as you want. Use autocomplete or type an
address, then press enter. Continue until you have added all you want. In
other words, for consistency, add the first address and press enter. You
can press tab, but it isn't consistent with what you would tend to do and
its easier to understanbd what you are doing.
Add first address and press enter. Adde second address, and press enter.
Add as many as you like.
At any time after you first press enter, move to the left from the edit
field you are in and continue left to hear and move to the addresses you
have added.
If you want to add more, right arrow past the first address you addded. You
will probably hear edit. That is where you add addresses so do exactly as
you did before to add addresses.

Tab to the subject line when you are finished and want to add a subject.
You can be in the edit field or on any address and tab, it doesn't matter.

In short, you are working with a variation on the to line.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Shelly Kane
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2020 4:19 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] thunderbird 78.5.1 accessibility configuration

Gene:


That's exactly what the field says. I just forgot until you said it.
It would have to show up for me to be able to tell you but I know that's
what it says. So basically, I can do everything I'm doing without using
that field? Is that right? I wouldn't even know what to do with it
when I was there because I already put the address in and I wouldn't
need to do it again there. It just seems pointless to add it.

Shelly

On 12/7/2020 4:23 AM, Gene wrote:
I don't use JAWS. I don't hear control w with NVDA. As far as the extra field, you are evidently seeing a field that shows after you type an address and tab once. If JAWS doesn't read what is said in that field, it is a problem with JAWS. The field says something like one address, left arrow to select. The field is there because you haven't actually placed the address in the field until you tab once. You are now in the field with the address and you can work with it there. When you tab again, you are in the subject line. This won't change. It's just a different way of presenting the to line and having it function slightly differently.than previously.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Shelly Kane
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2020 4:07 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] thunderbird 78.5.1 accessibility configuration

Hi Group:


Since I have updated to the new Thunderbird 78.5, it has changed a
little for me. When I go to send an email, there is an extra box before
the subject. I forgot what it says but I just tab to subject and then
it seems to be fine. Is there any way to get rid of this? I have also
noticed when I hit F7 to spell check, when it lands on a word that isn't
spelled right, it will tell me and then it will say control W when I tab
and it never did before. It seems to have these added things that
aren't necessary. Do any of you know if there will be another update to
correct this or are we going to just have to deal with it? Thanks in
advance for any help on this matter. I'm currently using the newest
Jaws which is Jaws 2021.

Shelly

On 12/5/2020 11:14 AM, David Mehler wrote:
Hello,

I just did a Thunderbird upgrade. I'm running v78.5.1 with NVDA
v2020.3. It seems as if this new Thunderbird overwrote my previous
configuration, my accounts are still there but it seems to be bringing
up a lot of extra boxes, adverts, web pages, etc. I was wondering if
anyone had a thunderbird taming setup?

Thanks.
Dave.












.


Re: thunderbird 78.5.1 accessibility configuration

Gene
 

If it helps you understand it, this isn't a mysterious field that is there for some reason. You are really working with the to line. When you first type an address and either tab or press enter, you are placed in the field. You may hear an announcement such as one, left arrow to select. You are still in an edit field where you can type another address, use autocomplete, etc. Add as many addresses as you want. Use autocomplete or type an address, then press enter. Continue until you have added all you want. In other words, for consistency, add the first address and press enter. You can press tab, but it isn't consistent with what you would tend to do and its easier to understanbd what you are doing.
Add first address and press enter. Adde second address, and press enter. Add as many as you like.
At any time after you first press enter, move to the left from the edit field you are in and continue left to hear and move to the addresses you have added.
If you want to add more, right arrow past the first address you addded. You will probably hear edit. That is where you add addresses so do exactly as you did before to add addresses.

Tab to the subject line when you are finished and want to add a subject. You can be in the edit field or on any address and tab, it doesn't matter.

In short, you are working with a variation on the to line.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Shelly Kane
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2020 4:19 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] thunderbird 78.5.1 accessibility configuration

Gene:


That's exactly what the field says. I just forgot until you said it.
It would have to show up for me to be able to tell you but I know that's
what it says. So basically, I can do everything I'm doing without using
that field? Is that right? I wouldn't even know what to do with it
when I was there because I already put the address in and I wouldn't
need to do it again there. It just seems pointless to add it.

Shelly

On 12/7/2020 4:23 AM, Gene wrote:
I don't use JAWS. I don't hear control w with NVDA. As far as the extra field, you are evidently seeing a field that shows after you type an address and tab once. If JAWS doesn't read what is said in that field, it is a problem with JAWS. The field says something like one address, left arrow to select. The field is there because you haven't actually placed the address in the field until you tab once. You are now in the field with the address and you can work with it there. When you tab again, you are in the subject line. This won't change. It's just a different way of presenting the to line and having it function slightly differently.than previously.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Shelly Kane
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2020 4:07 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] thunderbird 78.5.1 accessibility configuration

Hi Group:


Since I have updated to the new Thunderbird 78.5, it has changed a
little for me. When I go to send an email, there is an extra box before
the subject. I forgot what it says but I just tab to subject and then
it seems to be fine. Is there any way to get rid of this? I have also
noticed when I hit F7 to spell check, when it lands on a word that isn't
spelled right, it will tell me and then it will say control W when I tab
and it never did before. It seems to have these added things that
aren't necessary. Do any of you know if there will be another update to
correct this or are we going to just have to deal with it? Thanks in
advance for any help on this matter. I'm currently using the newest
Jaws which is Jaws 2021.

Shelly

On 12/5/2020 11:14 AM, David Mehler wrote:
Hello,

I just did a Thunderbird upgrade. I'm running v78.5.1 with NVDA
v2020.3. It seems as if this new Thunderbird overwrote my previous
configuration, my accounts are still there but it seems to be bringing
up a lot of extra boxes, adverts, web pages, etc. I was wondering if
anyone had a thunderbird taming setup?

Thanks.
Dave.












.


Re: thunderbird 78.5.1 accessibility configuration

Shelly Kane
 

David:


Thank you for letting me know what all this means.  I am just going to do things the way I have been doing them.  I don't usually send out mass mailings.  It's usually to one person so I won't need this extra field but thanks again for explaining it. As for the Jaws hot keys, I won't be turning that off.  I will just deal with it.  Sometimes, I like that to be announced.  At least I have a better understand of what's going on with the new update.  So glad that I can post on this list and get answers.  I would be lost without it.

Shelly

On 12/7/2020 4:57 AM, David Goldfield wrote:
Shelly,
In Thunderbird when you tab from the to: field you are probably hearing something like
To with one address, use left arrow key to focus on it. Edit
This is somewhat new with Thunderbird and I believe this was introduced with releases starting with version 78.
Essentially, when you hear this you can press left arrow to move to a block of text containing the address that you entered. If you added more than one address pressing left arrow will not move character by character as it usually does but it will move from one email address to the next, similar to how Outlook behaves. Pressing the delete key will remove the address which you are focused on. Pressing enter will allow you to edit that address, allowing left and right arrow keys to move from one character to the next.
The prompt you are hearing in the spell checker which says "alt w" is JAWS reminding you that pressing alt-W moves to the edit field where you can edit the currently suggested word. If this annoys you this prompt can be turned off by going to the JAWS window, opening the Basics menu and setting "speak access keys" to the "off" option. Unfortunately, this is a global setting and doing this means that JAWS would then stop speaking these hotkeys or access keys in all applications, which you may or may not want.

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org

On 12/7/2020 5:07 AM, Shelly Kane wrote:
Hi Group:


Since I have updated to the new Thunderbird 78.5, it has changed a little for me.  When I go to send an email, there is an extra box before the subject.  I forgot what it says but I just tab to subject and then it seems to be fine.  Is there any way to get rid of this?  I have also noticed when I hit F7 to spell check, when it lands on a word that isn't spelled right, it will tell me and then it will say control W when I tab and it never did before.  It seems to have these added things that aren't necessary.  Do any of you know if there will be another update to correct this or are we going to just have to deal with it? Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.  I'm currently using the newest Jaws which is Jaws 2021.

Shelly

On 12/5/2020 11:14 AM, David Mehler wrote:
Hello,

I just did a Thunderbird upgrade. I'm running v78.5.1 with NVDA
v2020.3. It seems as if this new Thunderbird overwrote my previous
configuration, my accounts are still there but it seems to be bringing
up a lot of extra boxes, adverts, web pages, etc. I was wondering if
anyone had a thunderbird taming setup?

Thanks.
Dave.










6641 - 6660 of 101783