Date   

Re: Braille Blazer printer help

Angelo Sonnesso
 

How are you hooking up the blazer.

 

 

73 N2DYN Angelo

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry hathaway
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 4:02 PM
To: TechTalk
Subject: [TechTalk] Braille Blazer printer help

 

I have connected the Braille blazer to my computer, I have also set up the printer into the printer settings, and I think I put the setup information into Braille Blaster translation program. The problem I am having when I go to print text I have brought up into the Braille Blaster translation program and I go to print the text for some reason the text does not get to the Braille printer. Does anybody know what may be causing this problem and how I can fix the problem.

Jerry

 


Braille Blazer printer help

Jerry hathaway
 

I have connected the Braille blazer to my computer, I have also set up the printer into the printer settings, and I think I put the setup information into Braille Blaster translation program. The problem I am having when I go to print text I have brought up into the Braille Blaster translation program and I go to print the text for some reason the text does not get to the Braille printer. Does anybody know what may be causing this problem and how I can fix the problem.
Jerry
 


Re: Downloading from Bard

Victor
 

This morning I downloaded several books to my iPhone with no trouble at all. They downloaded very quickly.

Victor


On Jul 20, 2020, at 8:36 AM, Jim Wohlgamuth <wohlggie@...> wrote:



No!

I have that same issue from time to time.  I suspect that the server is just overloaded at times or I have a very slow connection.  Most of the time I can download a book in a few minutes or less. I would suggest that if this issue persists, that you contact your cooperating library and let them know.

Have A Good 1! de

<wohlggie@...><KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

On 20-Jul-20 11:07, Marie wrote:
I was on the Bard list this morning and it took 15 minutes to download a book. Is this a Bard issue or mine?
Marie


Re: Dropbox Question About Saving Shared Files

Mike B
 


In what fashion was it shared?  Did they send you a download link?  Do you have a shared folder?

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
Learn a lesson from your dog.  No matter what life brings you, kick some grass over that crap and move on!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 8:26 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Dropbox Question About Saving Shared Files

Someone shared a file with me and I saved it. In fact, I saved it three
or four times because no matter what I do, I can't find the location to
which it was saved. I've even tried the standard Windows Search, and
it's just not there. But if I log in to my Dropbox account, all saved
copies are shown, but not the folder into which they were saved. How do
I fix that, and find where my files went?


Thanks in advance.




Re: Downloading from Bard

Jim Wohlgamuth
 

No!

I have that same issue from time to time.  I suspect that the server is just overloaded at times or I have a very slow connection.  Most of the time I can download a book in a few minutes or less. I would suggest that if this issue persists, that you contact your cooperating library and let them know.

Have A Good 1! de

<wohlggie@...><KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

On 20-Jul-20 11:07, Marie wrote:
I was on the Bard list this morning and it took 15 minutes to download a book. Is this a Bard issue or mine?
Marie


Re: Downloading from Bard

Gerald Levy
 


Hard to say.  What is your normal download speed?  You can check it by going to fast.com.  If your download speed is 50 mbps or higher, it should not take more than 2 or 3 minutes to download a ten hour book. On the other hand, there have been very few new books posted on BARD recently, so it is also possible that the BARD site is currently experiencing technical problems.  


Gerald



On 7/20/2020 11:07 AM, Marie wrote:
I was on the Bard list this morning and it took 15 minutes to download a book. Is this a Bard issue or mine?
Marie


Dropbox Question About Saving Shared Files

Steve Matzura
 

Someone shared a file with me and I saved it. In fact, I saved it three or four times because no matter what I do, I can't find the location to which it was saved. I've even tried the standard Windows Search, and it's just not there. But if I log in to my Dropbox account, all saved copies are shown, but not the folder into which they were saved. How do I fix that, and find where my files went?


Thanks in advance.


Re: Downloading from Bard

Gene
 

You can do an Internet speed test to find out. I haven't done one in a long time. Others can tell you test sites they like. Or you can download something you know about how long the download takes other than using the Bard site.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Marie
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 10:07 AM
To: techtalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Downloading from Bard


I was on the Bard list this morning and it took 15 minutes to download a book. Is this a Bard issue or mine?
Marie


Re: Downloading from Bard

Victor
 

Hi Marie:

It's probably a Bard issue.  It's slow now andthen.

Victor


On Jul 20, 2020, at 8:07 AM, Marie <magpie.mn@...> wrote:


I was on the Bard list this morning and it took 15 minutes to download a book. Is this a Bard issue or mine?
Marie


Downloading from Bard

Marie
 

I was on the Bard list this morning and it took 15 minutes to download a book. Is this a Bard issue or mine?
Marie


Re: Windows Is Gone

lynn white
 

Hi Gene and Gerald,

I have been working on this and have contacted Kevin to see what we can work out. As I said earlier, I have bought machines from him before, and I have found him to be a stand up guy. I believe that this is a hardware issue. Narrator is working on a very limited basis. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

On 7/17/2020 6:44 AM, Gene wrote:
I said I'm suspicious.  I don't have any definite statement but whether it is the hard drive or not, I'm suspicious that something is causing corruption or loss of data.  Having a hard drive fail doesn't have to mean the entire hard drive fails.  Why can't enough of the drive fail to cause corruption or loss of data?

I don't know all the malfunctions that can cause such corruption or loss of data.  It could be something else, but I'm suspicious that it is a hardware problem.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Norman
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 5:14 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Windows Is Gone

If you can get narator you should be able to recover. Also, i disagree
with Jene that it's a hard drive failure, If the drive was bad it
wouldn't have booted to the point narator works.

Exactly what i would recommend doing from this point i'm not sure as i
don't know exactly what the error message is.


Thanks.


On 7/17/2020 5:32 AM, Smiling? wrote:
If you don't have any problems with installing Windows, the Microsoft
Upgrade Tool link below should be a tremendous help assisting you. Just
start Narrator and this way, Narrator will automatically start each time the
computer does its reboots.

Create Windows 10 installation media:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of lynn
white
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 9:24
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Windows Is Gone



Sent from my iPhoneI just got a new computer. I was able to install Jaws.
But the other day, Narrator said that I needed to reinstall Windows 2010.
I even tried resetting the computer but to no avail. It looks like Windows
needs to be reinstalled.
Where can I find Windows 2010 and would I need to install it from some sort
of drive?
This whole thing is something I never expected to run into especially from a
new machine. Thanks. Oh, one more detail. I do remember performing a Windows
update before this happened.








Re: voices for windows

Abbie Taylor
 

I think it depends on what screen reader you're using. If you've switched, say, from NVDA to JAWS, Vocalizer, Eloquence, Microsoft SAPI, and Windows One Core should work. If you're using System Access, it only works with certain synthesizers. They're not transferrable from other screen readers. So, in some cases, you'll need to purchase them again. I hope this is helpful.
--


Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author https://abbiescorner.wordpress.com

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

 


Edge question

Madison Martin
 

Hi all,
Can anyone please tell me why the Edge shortcut on my desktop keeps disappearing
every few days? I know the first time it was because there was a new vertion or
update, but I can't emagine that there'd be an update every few days. I know how
to create the shortcut thankfully, but I'd like to know if there's a reason why
it keeps disappearing, it's annoying. Look forward to any suggestions that
anyone can provide me! I'm running Jaws 2018, Windows 10 vertion 1909 and the
latest Edge. Thanks Madison


Re: How to transfer owner ship of an email group?

Sharon Hooley
 

I got a more detailed answer, saying that we have the prospective owner join as a member, and then the swap can be made.


Thanks,

On 7/18/2020 9:34 AM, Gene wrote:
See this discussion:
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/changing_owners/30289118?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,30289118

You can't leave if you are the only owner but if there are two, either owner can leave.  Of course, there must be one owner.

If you want to stay on as a member, I don't know if that qqquestion is discussed in this thread, I didn't read all of it. But if you are one owner and there are one or more, I would think you could change your status to a member or moderator but I haven't checked.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 10:28 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How to transfer owner ship of an email group?

If the person is a member of the list, as owner, you can assign him any
level of access that you want, you can even make him another owner.  I
haven't looked at information about the specific qquestion but you can make
him an owner, and the list will then have two owners.  Whether you can then
make yourself not an owner is something I don't know but I assume that if
you leave the list, the list will then be shown as having only one owner.

Do you know how to set the level of access for members?

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Sharon Hooley
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 10:22 AM
To: Techtalk
Subject: [TechTalk] How to transfer owner ship of an email group?

Hi,


As some of you may remember, I asked about how to create a group email
list for someone.  So, once I finish the process, how do I transfer my
ownership to my friend?


Thanks,







Re: disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Troy Burnham
 

Thanks Gene. I wish there was a way to keep that from even happening when the page first loads but at least I have some work-arounds now between copying and pasting the page into notepad or pausing.

Troy

On 7/18/2020 4:40 PM, Gene wrote:
Here is a correction.  It is a player and the timer forces speech whether you have sound on or not.  So don't follow the instructions just as I gave them.
Instead of searching for sound, search from the top of the page for pause.
Once on pause, press the space bar.  That stops play and the timer stops. You can then use the page as usual.

I pressed the space bar on the sound item and I did start to hear audio.  It may be set not to play at first, but if so, its muted and the timer still runs because the player is playing even though the sound is muted.  But as I said, finding pause and pressing the space bar pauses play and stops the timer.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 4:34 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Here is another solution.  It works well.

I didn't think this was a player but it may be.  If it is, I think the
seconds display is a live region that forces speech.  I don't know what
accounts for the numbers going up and then down again.  Also, I hear no
sound.

Once you load the page, search from the top for the word sound. You will be
on something that says sound off.  Press the space bar on it,, I'd have to
check again but I think it’s a button.  Whatever it is, if you press the
space bar, the seconds timer stops and you can use the page as you usually
would.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 4:24 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Most sites don't use Flash now.

This appears to be a live region that is set to interrupt speech. It isn't
a player.  Players don't usually interrupt speech with second counts and
also, this isn't an ongoing count up.  It goes up and then it goes back to
lower numbers.

JAWS has a setting not to allow live regions to be read.  You can, I
believe, find it in quick settings, JAWS key v.  If you can't find it, let
us know.

Or, if you don't want to change this setting, once the page loads, select it
all with control a, copy it to the clipboard with control c, close the page,
then paste it into note;pad and find and read the article.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Troy Burnham
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 3:39 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Hi all,

I'm using jaws 2020 and windows 10 with google chrome.

I don't know if it's always the same site that causes this because when
it happens I'm getting to the page from just a general news headlines
site, but sometimes I'll go to a page to read a story and there's a
video on the page along with the story, and the video never starts
unless it's all visual but jaws starts counting seconds and I can't shut
it up so I can hear the story written on the page. Even if I get to the
story and do the say all command the timer or whatever it is interrupts
after a few seconds. If anybody is familiar with this is there a
solution. Btw I have flash turned off as far as I know.

I just had it happen and the link to the page is
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2020/07/18/play-ball-experts-send-mixed-signals-on-mlb-60-game-season/112300506/

Thanks, and I hope this link is still accessible because I pasted the
http string from the address bar of the page but I just noticed that it
has converted to more or less what the headline of the story is.

Troy







Re: disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Gene
 

Also, if you are using a browser with reader view, if you go into that, the timer won't be spoken even without changing any settings.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 4:40 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Here is a correction. It is a player and the timer forces speech whether
you have sound on or not. So don't follow the instructions just as I gave
them.
Instead of searching for sound, search from the top of the page for pause.
Once on pause, press the space bar. That stops play and the timer stops.
You can then use the page as usual.

I pressed the space bar on the sound item and I did start to hear audio. It
may be set not to play at first, but if so, its muted and the timer still
runs because the player is playing even though the sound is muted. But as I
said, finding pause and pressing the space bar pauses play and stops the
timer.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 4:34 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Here is another solution. It works well.

I didn't think this was a player but it may be. If it is, I think the
seconds display is a live region that forces speech. I don't know what
accounts for the numbers going up and then down again. Also, I hear no
sound.

Once you load the page, search from the top for the word sound. You will be
on something that says sound off. Press the space bar on it,, I'd have to
check again but I think it’s a button. Whatever it is, if you press the
space bar, the seconds timer stops and you can use the page as you usually
would.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 4:24 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Most sites don't use Flash now.

This appears to be a live region that is set to interrupt speech. It isn't
a player. Players don't usually interrupt speech with second counts and
also, this isn't an ongoing count up. It goes up and then it goes back to
lower numbers.

JAWS has a setting not to allow live regions to be read. You can, I
believe, find it in quick settings, JAWS key v. If you can't find it, let
us know.

Or, if you don't want to change this setting, once the page loads, select it
all with control a, copy it to the clipboard with control c, close the page,
then paste it into note;pad and find and read the article.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Troy Burnham
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 3:39 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Hi all,

I'm using jaws 2020 and windows 10 with google chrome.

I don't know if it's always the same site that causes this because when
it happens I'm getting to the page from just a general news headlines
site, but sometimes I'll go to a page to read a story and there's a
video on the page along with the story, and the video never starts
unless it's all visual but jaws starts counting seconds and I can't shut
it up so I can hear the story written on the page. Even if I get to the
story and do the say all command the timer or whatever it is interrupts
after a few seconds. If anybody is familiar with this is there a
solution. Btw I have flash turned off as far as I know.

I just had it happen and the link to the page is
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2020/07/18/play-ball-experts-send-mixed-signals-on-mlb-60-game-season/112300506/

Thanks, and I hope this link is still accessible because I pasted the
http string from the address bar of the page but I just noticed that it
has converted to more or less what the headline of the story is.

Troy


Re: disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Gene
 

Here is a correction. It is a player and the timer forces speech whether you have sound on or not. So don't follow the instructions just as I gave them.
Instead of searching for sound, search from the top of the page for pause.
Once on pause, press the space bar. That stops play and the timer stops. You can then use the page as usual.

I pressed the space bar on the sound item and I did start to hear audio. It may be set not to play at first, but if so, its muted and the timer still runs because the player is playing even though the sound is muted. But as I said, finding pause and pressing the space bar pauses play and stops the timer.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 4:34 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Here is another solution. It works well.

I didn't think this was a player but it may be. If it is, I think the
seconds display is a live region that forces speech. I don't know what
accounts for the numbers going up and then down again. Also, I hear no
sound.

Once you load the page, search from the top for the word sound. You will be
on something that says sound off. Press the space bar on it,, I'd have to
check again but I think it’s a button. Whatever it is, if you press the
space bar, the seconds timer stops and you can use the page as you usually
would.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 4:24 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Most sites don't use Flash now.

This appears to be a live region that is set to interrupt speech. It isn't
a player. Players don't usually interrupt speech with second counts and
also, this isn't an ongoing count up. It goes up and then it goes back to
lower numbers.

JAWS has a setting not to allow live regions to be read. You can, I
believe, find it in quick settings, JAWS key v. If you can't find it, let
us know.

Or, if you don't want to change this setting, once the page loads, select it
all with control a, copy it to the clipboard with control c, close the page,
then paste it into note;pad and find and read the article.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Troy Burnham
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 3:39 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Hi all,

I'm using jaws 2020 and windows 10 with google chrome.

I don't know if it's always the same site that causes this because when
it happens I'm getting to the page from just a general news headlines
site, but sometimes I'll go to a page to read a story and there's a
video on the page along with the story, and the video never starts
unless it's all visual but jaws starts counting seconds and I can't shut
it up so I can hear the story written on the page. Even if I get to the
story and do the say all command the timer or whatever it is interrupts
after a few seconds. If anybody is familiar with this is there a
solution. Btw I have flash turned off as far as I know.

I just had it happen and the link to the page is
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2020/07/18/play-ball-experts-send-mixed-signals-on-mlb-60-game-season/112300506/

Thanks, and I hope this link is still accessible because I pasted the
http string from the address bar of the page but I just noticed that it
has converted to more or less what the headline of the story is.

Troy


Re: disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Gene
 

Here is another solution. It works well.

I didn't think this was a player but it may be. If it is, I think the seconds display is a live region that forces speech. I don't know what accounts for the numbers going up and then down again. Also, I hear no sound.

Once you load the page, search from the top for the word sound. You will be on something that says sound off. Press the space bar on it,, I'd have to check again but I think it’s a button. Whatever it is, if you press the space bar, the seconds timer stops and you can use the page as you usually would.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 4:24 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Most sites don't use Flash now.

This appears to be a live region that is set to interrupt speech. It isn't
a player. Players don't usually interrupt speech with second counts and
also, this isn't an ongoing count up. It goes up and then it goes back to
lower numbers.

JAWS has a setting not to allow live regions to be read. You can, I
believe, find it in quick settings, JAWS key v. If you can't find it, let
us know.

Or, if you don't want to change this setting, once the page loads, select it
all with control a, copy it to the clipboard with control c, close the page,
then paste it into note;pad and find and read the article.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Troy Burnham
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 3:39 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Hi all,

I'm using jaws 2020 and windows 10 with google chrome.

I don't know if it's always the same site that causes this because when
it happens I'm getting to the page from just a general news headlines
site, but sometimes I'll go to a page to read a story and there's a
video on the page along with the story, and the video never starts
unless it's all visual but jaws starts counting seconds and I can't shut
it up so I can hear the story written on the page. Even if I get to the
story and do the say all command the timer or whatever it is interrupts
after a few seconds. If anybody is familiar with this is there a
solution. Btw I have flash turned off as far as I know.

I just had it happen and the link to the page is
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2020/07/18/play-ball-experts-send-mixed-signals-on-mlb-60-game-season/112300506/

Thanks, and I hope this link is still accessible because I pasted the
http string from the address bar of the page but I just noticed that it
has converted to more or less what the headline of the story is.

Troy


Re: disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Gene
 

Most sites don't use Flash now.

This appears to be a live region that is set to interrupt speech. It isn't a player. Players don't usually interrupt speech with second counts and also, this isn't an ongoing count up. It goes up and then it goes back to lower numbers.

JAWS has a setting not to allow live regions to be read. You can, I believe, find it in quick settings, JAWS key v. If you can't find it, let us know.

Or, if you don't want to change this setting, once the page loads, select it all with control a, copy it to the clipboard with control c, close the page, then paste it into note;pad and find and read the article.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Troy Burnham
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 3:39 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Hi all,

I'm using jaws 2020 and windows 10 with google chrome.

I don't know if it's always the same site that causes this because when
it happens I'm getting to the page from just a general news headlines
site, but sometimes I'll go to a page to read a story and there's a
video on the page along with the story, and the video never starts
unless it's all visual but jaws starts counting seconds and I can't shut
it up so I can hear the story written on the page. Even if I get to the
story and do the say all command the timer or whatever it is interrupts
after a few seconds. If anybody is familiar with this is there a
solution. Btw I have flash turned off as far as I know.

I just had it happen and the link to the page is
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2020/07/18/play-ball-experts-send-mixed-signals-on-mlb-60-game-season/112300506/

Thanks, and I hope this link is still accessible because I pasted the
http string from the address bar of the page but I just noticed that it
has converted to more or less what the headline of the story is.

Troy


Re: disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Troy Burnham
 

Thanks, that is much easier to read.

Troy

On 7/18/2020 4:02 PM, Smiling? wrote:
In this particular situation I specifically just did a select all and simply copied it to my clipboard and pasted it wherever I wanted (in this case below). Of course you are going to have parts that you most likely do not want, but seeing as you are the editor, simply remove whatever it is that you are not wanting before reading.

Play ball? Experts send mixed signals on MLB 60-game season
Published 10:50 a.m. ET Jul. 18, 2020
NEW YORK (AP) — Thirty baseball teams from 28 cities, trying to play 60 games each amid a coronavirus pandemic that seemingly hasn’t peaked in the United
States.
Plausible? Worthwhile? Unconscionable?
Even among experts, it depends on who's talking:
“Baseball games can work,” said Dr. David Hamer, professor of global health at the Boston University School of Public Health. “I think it's feasible.”
“There are certain sports that are higher risk versus lower risk,” said Dr. Amesh Adalja, senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security.
“Baseball is sort of an intermediate risk.”
“I’m very nervous about MLB’s plan,” said Dr. Zach Binney, an epidemiologist at Emory University. “It could be a disaster.”
Public health experts have mixed feelings about baseball’s hopes to open its season July 23. There is optimism because of the nature of the sport itself,
which produces less on-field risk than basketball, football or hockey. Then again, players and their families face a daunting task staying safe away from
the ballpark, especially with teams traveling to and from hard-hit regions, including Florida and Texas.
Advertisement
Unlike the NBA and NHL, Major League Baseball teams won't be sequestered into bubbles — they'll be traveling all around the country.
Most of all, though, there's uncertainty.
“I don’t think you can completely quantify exactly what the risk will be,” Adalja said.
MLB has provided teams with a 113-page operations manual detailing protocols for its pandemic-shortened 60-game regular season.
Players will be tested every 48 hours. Masks and social distancing are a must at all times, except on the field. Backups can watch games from the stands
instead of the dugout. No sunflower seeds. No spitting. No licking fingers. Even the mascots won't be allowed to get close.
Advertisement
There are protocols for air travel, bus travel, private cars and hotels, along with general guidance to avoid contact with people outside of the baseball
world.
Can all of that keep players safe? Can it keep MLB from straining resources in their host communities? What if fans are allowed to attend games in September
and October, as some team owners have suggested?
In short, can it work?
Two weeks into preseason camps, there’s some reason for optimism.
According to data released Friday by MLB, just 0.4% of samples from players and coaches tested since June 27 have come back positive. That's far below
the national positive rate of about 9%.
There have been delays in testing, most notably around the July 4 weekend, and all but two of the 30 teams have had at least one person test positive.
Still, the results are undoubtedly encouraging.
“That’s a good starting point,” said Hamer, an infectious disease specialist at Boston Medical Center who has advised other pro sports leagues.
It’s too soon to say if that can last.
Testing is a critical pillar of MLB's plan, but it's hardly foolproof. Set aside frustrating delays that forced several teams to cancel practice — even
when screenings are handled perfectly, there are flaws.
Players and on-field personnel provide samples every 48 hours, and results are supposed to take one to two days to process. That means players can take
a test, participate in one or two games or practices and not find out until after that they have COVID-19.
“There’s so many cases, you may not catch them fast enough,” Binney said.
So transmission risk has to be kept low, even with coronavirus-positive players in uniform.
The nature of the sport should help.
“It’s not fleeting contacts that spread this virus," said Adalja, who is also on the NCAA's COVID-19 advisory panel. "It’s close contact for 10 to 15 minutes,
so something like people hanging out in the dugout is much more likely, epidemiologically, to lead to the spread of the virus.”
Advertisement
The field of play — even the batter's box — should be fairly safe, except perhaps for the catcher and plate umpire. Adalja also said the baseball itself
shouldn't be an issue, since surface-based transmission is less common.
“The risk of onward transmission to teammates is going to be very low,” Hamer said.
Adalja and Hamer are hopeful about MLB's protocols, noting that exposure can be limited on socially distanced chartered flights, in hotels and at spacious
ballparks without fans.
“The risk of aerosol transmission on a plane is pretty much limited to the row you're in and maybe a row ahead and a row behind," Hamer said.
“I do think that they do provide substantial benefit and decrease the risk of transmission,” Adalja said of baseball's off-field protocols. “But it’s not
going to be ironclad.”
Binney is more concerned. He thinks bubble systems like those used by the NBA and NHL are a worthwhile gamble, but he's worried that MLB's protocols will
be inadequate in virus-stricken areas like Florida and Texas.
“That can all stop a few cases, and maybe even a moderate number of cases,” he said of MLB's plans. “But if you’re getting cases from the community left
and right, I have some concerns about its ability to withstand that.”
Experts aren't worried that traveling ballclubs might endanger communities in a significant way. The traveling parties will be relatively small, and because
they'll be using private transportation, there shouldn't be much interaction with people not affiliated with the league in some manner.
Advertisement
In fact, the opposite is likely true — if the league fails, it may be because players can't avoid the virus in the hours when they're away from teammates.
“I’m more worried honestly about the exposures in the community,” Hamer said. "Going out for dinner or drinks or whatever after the game, and what kind
of exposures they might have there that increase the risk of being infected rather than the other way around."
MLB is also trying to ensure its roughly 10,000 weekly tests don't strain public resources by using private facilities. Adalja said such a conflict might
arise in some regions, but he also thought MLB's investment might encourage much needed innovation and increased production in testing.
There's one way MLB could pose a grave public risk, according to Binney — by opening its doors to fans.
Owners of the New York Yankees, Texas Rangers and Houston Astros have said they hope to host limited-capacity crowds by the end of the season. Binney called
the idea “completely unreasonable" until a vaccine is developed.
“When you start talking about fans, you’re adding a whole lot of risk, particularly to the public’s health,” Binney said. “And the only benefit is money
in the pocket of owners and stadium authorities.”
Adalja and Hamer think that socially distancing a stadium — bleachers, bathrooms, concession lines and elsewhere — was plausible but tricky.
Before any of that can be considered, though, the virus has to be curbed.


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 13:40
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] disabling autoplay videos on web pages

Hi all,

I'm using jaws 2020 and windows 10 with google chrome.

I don't know if it's always the same site that causes this because when it happens I'm getting to the page from just a general news headlines site, but sometimes I'll go to a page to read a story and there's a video on the page along with the story, and the video never starts unless it's all visual but jaws starts counting seconds and I can't shut it up so I can hear the story written on the page. Even if I get to the story and do the say all command the timer or whatever it is interrupts after a few seconds. If anybody is familiar with this is there a solution. Btw I have flash turned off as far as I know.

I just had it happen and the link to the page is https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2020/07/18/play-ball-experts-send-mixed-signals-on-mlb-60-game-season/112300506/

Thanks, and I hope this link is still accessible because I pasted the http string from the address bar of the page but I just noticed that it has converted to more or less what the headline of the story is.

Troy