Date   

Re: the reason I decided to leave things alone instead of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

John Holcomb II
 

Most do, in your opinion.
And you know that's ok to think this for yourself 😊
John

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 7:53 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

But most do, and even good ones are no match to the ergonomics of a desktop keyboard.

On 4/3/2021 6:50 PM, John Holcomb II wrote:
Have you looked at lots of laptop keyboards?
There are as many keyboards as there are laptops.
Even different laptops made the same year from the same manufacture
use different keyboards.
No, not all keyboards suck on all laptops!


Re: As concerns Windows Update: I'm Confused!

Janet
 

Loy,
Version 2009, is just basically better known as version 20h2.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Loy
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 7:04 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] As concerns Windows Update: I'm Confused!

2009 is an older version. 20H2 is current version. Next version common out
soon will be 21H1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@roadrunner.com>
To: "TechTalk Mailing List" <TechTalk@groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 7:48 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] As concerns Windows Update: I'm Confused!


Hi Group,

With all this talk about Windows Update, I checked to see whether I
needed to update. People on this list have been talking about something
called Windows Version 2009. Windows Update indicated that that
something called Windows Feature Update Version 20H2 was available. It
said it fixes several bugs and security weaknesses. I updated it and
everything seems to be OK. So just what is this Windows 2009 that
everyone is talking about?

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


Re: Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Gene
 

That is what you would generally expect, but I don't have the technical knowledge to know if a hard drive problem might corrupt the source files used for the reset. We don't even know if there is a hard drive problem or if a hardware problem is causing corruption. I think that a reset should be attempted before a clean installation of Windows. If it works, that's fine. If it doesn't and if Jim is determined not to continue to use the computer as it is and has decided to do a clean reinstallation if necessary, there is no reason not to try a reset first.

I don't know if Jim has decided to keep using the computer as it is or what he is willing to do to ttry to solve problems between now and when he gets his new computer.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 6:58 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Gene,
That is the key word here corruption, but a reset should fix that as well.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 6:45 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

You can always place a clean version of Windows on a machine. But there may
be corruption problems in Windows so that the updater can't install the
updates.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: enes sarıbaş
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 5:40 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

That is incorrect. The way in windows update as well as the upgrade
assistant always work and are nondistructive.

On 4/3/2021 5:10 PM, Janet wrote:
Hi Enes,
Jim is still on version 1909, and he hasn't been able to update the
updates on his PC, for some strange reason. If he was to update to 20h2,
he would definitely need to do a complete install.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf
Of enes saribas
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:44 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Not really, windows 2009 is a free upgrade from 1909.

On 4/3/2021 4:42 PM, Byron Stephens wrote:
Ok I didn't know this until now. So this is something I have to go to
the store and buy to get the continued support I guess.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.


That's right. I wasn't thinking about the time properly. Having
said that, two months without updates isn't any sort of catastrophe.
Have your data files, music, books, whatever else backed up, as they
should be anyway, browse sites that are considered safe, keep your
browsers updated, have your antimalware definitions current, follow
safety rules, and the gap in protection is unlikely to cause problems
and if it does, you will have all your data files backed up to be
placed on the next machine. Keep the drive you are backing them up
on disconnected from the machine when you aren't using it. You
should do that anyway. That way, if the machine should become
infected, your data is much less likely to be affected.

I don't think there is any good way to proceed except these choices::
Continue to use the machine as it is, perform a reset and see what
happens, reinstall Windows from scratch, which I don't think should
be done until after a reset is attempted, or take the machine to a
reputable repair place and see what they find and recommend.

I'm not trying to be dictatorial. I'm telling you what I think the
choices are that make sense. There is a chance, it may be a small or
quite a small one, that the machine won't work or won't work as well
after you try a reset. It may solve your problems, at least
temporarily, however. And if necessary, whatever happens with the
reset, you can reinstall Windows from scratch if you wish or take it
to a shop and have it done. If you can't do things that are
important, you may want to try a reset and reinstall Windows if a
reset doesn't work. Either way, there will be considerable work
involved because you will have to reinstall all programs.

I should also say that if you take the machine to a good tech, he/she
may find a way to solve the problems you are having while not doing a
reset or reinstalling Windows. I don't know how likely that is,
however, and you may end up spending more than you want with the
result that the problems aren't solved or that not all are.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Gene,
May 11 2021, is only some weeks away. Jim said he will get the new
PC in 3 or 4 months from now.


Janet


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 2:42 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Which means that it is still receiving security and stability updates.
Therefore, there is no security reason to upgrade at this time. the
other
computer should be there long before support stops.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'
Subject: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Hi Everyone,
Well, I just came across this article, and thought I would share, as
some
especially Jim might be interested in knowing.

Windows 10, version 1909 end of servicing (Home and Pro)
Published: February 11, 2021
Windows 10,
version 1909 will reach the end of servicing on May 11, 2021. This
applies
to the following editions of Windows 10 released in November of 2019:
list of 4 items
. Windows 10 Home, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro Education, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1909
These editions will no longer receive security updates after May 11,
2021.
Customers who contact Microsoft Support after this date will be
directed to
update their device to the
latest version
of Windows 10 to remain supported.


https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/announcements/windows-10-1909-end-of-servicing



Janet
Peace Be With You.






























Re: Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

John Holcomb II
 

Enes,
Ok, you need to remember that not everybody is that tech savvy.
For you and I this wouldn't be so hard to do but m most people probably don't even know what any of that even means.
Jon

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 7:51 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Hi,

I would proceed as follows. Determine CPU version, if greater than second gen Intel, secure boot is a thing. Go to msinfo32 to see if it is off or on. Next, make a bootable flash drive of windows via media creation tool, and then attempt a factory reset after backing up all files and settings. If reset fails, he has a bootable USB to boot from and wipe everything. If reset fixes things, he can reinstall his apps and recopy files and settings.


Re: As concerns Windows Update: I'm Confused!

Loy
 

2009 is an older version. 20H2 is current version. Next version common out
soon will be 21H1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@roadrunner.com>
To: "TechTalk Mailing List" <TechTalk@groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 7:48 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] As concerns Windows Update: I'm Confused!


Hi Group,

With all this talk about Windows Update, I checked to see whether I
needed to update. People on this list have been talking about something
called Windows Version 2009. Windows Update indicated that that
something called Windows Feature Update Version 20H2 was available. It
said it fixes several bugs and security weaknesses. I updated it and
everything seems to be OK. So just what is this Windows 2009 that
everyone is talking about?

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


Re: Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Janet
 

John,
That is what I’m been thinking about is what might have happened to Jim's PC. MS from what I've heard has done this to certain PC's . No idea why though.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Holcomb II
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 6:59 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Hey Evan, Are you sure MS hasn't put a block for eh update for your particular machine

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Evan Reese
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 7:26 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Hi Janet,

She's running Windows 10 Pro. The System Information says that it's version 10.0.18363. I just checked with Windows Update, and there were two updates, both for version 1909. One was for removing Flash, and the other was for updating dot net framework 3.5 and 4.8, I think.

But there was nothing in the list about an update to get Windows 2009.
So I'm not sure how to get it.

Evan


Re: Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

John Holcomb II
 

Hey Evan, Are you sure MS hasn't put a block for eh update for your particular machine

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Evan Reese
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 7:26 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Hi Janet,

She's running Windows 10 Pro. The System Information says that it's version 10.0.18363. I just checked with Windows Update, and there were two updates, both for version 1909. One was for removing Flash, and the other was for updating dot net framework 3.5 and 4.8, I think.

But there was nothing in the list about an update to get Windows 2009.
So I'm not sure how to get it.

Evan


Re: Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Janet
 

Gene,
That is the key word here corruption, but a reset should fix that as well.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 6:45 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

You can always place a clean version of Windows on a machine. But there may
be corruption problems in Windows so that the updater can't install the
updates.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: enes sarıbaş
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 5:40 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

That is incorrect. The way in windows update as well as the upgrade
assistant always work and are nondistructive.

On 4/3/2021 5:10 PM, Janet wrote:
Hi Enes,
Jim is still on version 1909, and he hasn't been able to update the
updates on his PC, for some strange reason. If he was to update to 20h2,
he would definitely need to do a complete install.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf
Of enes saribas
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:44 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Not really, windows 2009 is a free upgrade from 1909.

On 4/3/2021 4:42 PM, Byron Stephens wrote:
Ok I didn't know this until now. So this is something I have to go to
the store and buy to get the continued support I guess.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.


That's right. I wasn't thinking about the time properly. Having
said that, two months without updates isn't any sort of catastrophe.
Have your data files, music, books, whatever else backed up, as they
should be anyway, browse sites that are considered safe, keep your
browsers updated, have your antimalware definitions current, follow
safety rules, and the gap in protection is unlikely to cause problems
and if it does, you will have all your data files backed up to be
placed on the next machine. Keep the drive you are backing them up
on disconnected from the machine when you aren't using it. You
should do that anyway. That way, if the machine should become
infected, your data is much less likely to be affected.

I don't think there is any good way to proceed except these choices::
Continue to use the machine as it is, perform a reset and see what
happens, reinstall Windows from scratch, which I don't think should
be done until after a reset is attempted, or take the machine to a
reputable repair place and see what they find and recommend.

I'm not trying to be dictatorial. I'm telling you what I think the
choices are that make sense. There is a chance, it may be a small or
quite a small one, that the machine won't work or won't work as well
after you try a reset. It may solve your problems, at least
temporarily, however. And if necessary, whatever happens with the
reset, you can reinstall Windows from scratch if you wish or take it
to a shop and have it done. If you can't do things that are
important, you may want to try a reset and reinstall Windows if a
reset doesn't work. Either way, there will be considerable work
involved because you will have to reinstall all programs.

I should also say that if you take the machine to a good tech, he/she
may find a way to solve the problems you are having while not doing a
reset or reinstalling Windows. I don't know how likely that is,
however, and you may end up spending more than you want with the
result that the problems aren't solved or that not all are.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Gene,
May 11 2021, is only some weeks away. Jim said he will get the new
PC in 3 or 4 months from now.


Janet


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 2:42 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Which means that it is still receiving security and stability updates.
Therefore, there is no security reason to upgrade at this time. the
other
computer should be there long before support stops.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'
Subject: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Hi Everyone,
Well, I just came across this article, and thought I would share, as
some
especially Jim might be interested in knowing.

Windows 10, version 1909 end of servicing (Home and Pro)
Published: February 11, 2021
Windows 10,
version 1909 will reach the end of servicing on May 11, 2021. This
applies
to the following editions of Windows 10 released in November of 2019:
list of 4 items
. Windows 10 Home, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro Education, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1909
These editions will no longer receive security updates after May 11,
2021.
Customers who contact Microsoft Support after this date will be
directed to
update their device to the
latest version
of Windows 10 to remain supported.


https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/announcements/windows-10-1909-end-of-servicing



Janet
Peace Be With You.






























Re: As concerns Windows Update: I'm Confused!

Janet
 

Hi Ron,
Windows 10 version 2009, is better known as Windows version 20h2.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ron Canazzi
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 6:48 PM
To: TechTalk Mailing List
Subject: [TechTalk] As concerns Windows Update: I'm Confused!

Hi Group,

With all this talk about Windows Update, I checked to see whether I
needed to update.  People on this list have been talking about something
called Windows Version 2009.  Windows Update indicated that that
something called Windows Feature Update Version 20H2 was available. It
said it fixes several bugs and security weaknesses.  I updated it and
everything seems to be OK. So just what is this Windows 2009 that
everyone is talking about?

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


Re: As concerns Windows Update: I'm Confused!

enes sarıbaş
 

Yes it is, and you are up to date until 21h1 comes out.

On 4/3/2021 6:48 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

With all this talk about Windows Update, I checked to see whether I needed to update.  People on this list have been talking about something called Windows Version 2009.  Windows Update indicated that that something called Windows Feature Update Version 20H2 was available. It said it fixes several bugs and security weaknesses. I updated it and everything seems to be OK. So just what is this Windows 2009 that everyone is talking about?


Re: Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

John Holcomb II
 

I use Malwarebytes premium and Microsoft Security essentials.
That has k kept the pcs for me and the f family running without a hitch without the need for fixing things for years and years on the same OS with jus security updates.
John

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 6:01 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

The machine can't be updated after support for the current version of Windows is no longer supported.

I disagree with your statement except in certain cases if good precautions are taken. I'm not saying machines shouldn't be kept up to date. Serious threats are guarded against by updates. There are times when something far more dangerous than what is usually in the environment is introduced by hackers. At such a time it may be more likely that something could happen to a machine but following safe practices and keeping your browser current as well as your antimalware program or programs will mean that two months without seccurity updates isn't that dangerous much of the time.

And something that should be done regardless of whether you are receiving security updates or not is to use an ad blocker with your browser because hacked advertising can spread malware. Using an ad blocker gives you important protection against going to a site with hacked advertising.

Following these precautions will cut your risk of being hacked down significantly, updates or not.

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: enes sarıbaş
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:40 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

two months without updates actually is a huge deal, depending on how severe they are, you could have a machine hacked. An upgrade is relatively easy through iether through windows update or the upgrade assistant.

On 4/3/2021 4:34 PM, Gene wrote:
That's right. I wasn't thinking about the time properly. Having said
that, two months without updates isn't any sort of catastrophe. Have
your data files, music, books, whatever else backed up, as they should
be anyway, browse sites that are considered safe, keep your browsers
updated, have your antimalware definitions current, follow safety
rules, and the gap in protection is unlikely to cause problems and if
it does, you will have all your data files backed up to be placed on
the next machine. Keep the drive you are backing them up on
disconnected from the machine when you aren't using it. You should do
that anyway. That way, if the machine should become infected, your data is much less likely to be affected.

I don't think there is any good way to proceed except these choices::
Continue to use the machine as it is, perform a reset and see what
happens, reinstall Windows from scratch, which I don't think should be
done until after a reset is attempted, or take the machine to a
reputable repair place and see what they find and recommend.

I'm not trying to be dictatorial. I'm telling you what I think the
choices are that make sense. There is a chance, it may be a small or
quite a small one, that the machine won't work or won't work as well
after you try a reset. It may solve your problems, at least
temporarily, however. And if necessary, whatever happens with the
reset, you can reinstall Windows from scratch if you wish or take it
to a shop and have it done. If you can't do things that are
important, you may want to try a reset and reinstall Windows if a
reset doesn't work. Either way, there will be considerable work
involved because you will have to reinstall all programs.

I should also say that if you take the machine to a good tech, he/she
may find a way to solve the problems you are having while not doing a
reset or reinstalling Windows. I don't know how likely that is,
however, and you may end up spending more than you want with the
result that the problems aren't solved or that not all are.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Gene,
May 11 2021, is only some weeks away. Jim said he will get the new PC
in
3 or 4 months from now.


Janet


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 2:42 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Which means that it is still receiving security and stability updates.
Therefore, there is no security reason to upgrade at this time. the
other computer should be there long before support stops.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'
Subject: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Hi Everyone,
Well, I just came across this article, and thought I would share, as
some especially Jim might be interested in knowing.

Windows 10, version 1909 end of servicing (Home and Pro)
Published: February 11, 2021
Windows 10,
version 1909 will reach the end of servicing on May 11, 2021. This
applies to the following editions of Windows 10 released in November of 2019:
list of 4 items
. Windows 10 Home, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro Education, version 1909 . Windows 10 Pro for
Workstations, version 1909 These editions will no longer receive
security updates after May 11, 2021.
Customers who contact Microsoft Support after this date will be
directed to update their device to the latest version of Windows 10 to
remain supported.


https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/announcements/windows-10-19
09-end-of-servicing


Janet
Peace Be With You.




















Re: the reason I decided to leave things alone instead of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

enes sarıbaş
 

But most do, and even good ones are no match to the ergonomics of a desktop keyboard.

On 4/3/2021 6:50 PM, John Holcomb II wrote:
Have you looked at lots of laptop keyboards?
There are as many keyboards as there are laptops.
Even different laptops made the same year from the same manufacture use
different keyboards.
No, not all keyboards suck on all laptops!
John



-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim
Rawls
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 5:47 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Janet, here is a suggestion that might help you work better with the lap top
you have. I am now using a lap top, but I also bought a separate full
desktop keyboard. You can find them everywhere, and it is so much easier to
use than that damn crunched up keyboard on the lap top. They come in all
kinds of prices and such. I only paid about $50 for mine.it isn't blue
tooth, and it is a little noisy, sort of like a typewriter, but I love it.
Just a thought.
I think windows 7 is a better version than windows ten. That's just me of
course. Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 2:31 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Jim,
Well, I told myself just last night before I went to bed, I will not even
turn on my Win 7 or Win 10 when I get up tomorrow, but low in behold, that
was one of the first things I did. I call that determination! LOL! I
turned on Win 7 as I am backing up thousands and thousands of files from
Win 7 to an external drive, before Win 7 just might crash at least I will
have my files backed up. I've already played around with Win 10, but
because JAWS isn't talking well, I can't do much with Win 10 until JAWS gets
it together, but I'm sure I will need to call FS tomorrow, as this is really
just getting on my last nerve! Although, I have to admit, my Win 7 desktop
is running much faster than my Win 10, as well as JAWS seems to be much more
relaxed! I know I have to try and get used to my new Laptop, but so far, I
don't care for Laptops at all, but like I said, I have a long way to go with
it.

Janet


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Jim Rawls
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:17 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Janet, I couldn't agree with you more. I keep saying that I'm tired of
messing with this computer, and I am, but I just can't leave it alone till
the problem gets solved. So, we shall muddle through, as the British say.
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Janet
Sent: Friday, April 2, 2021 3:51 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Jim,
Did you ever hear of the expression learn the hard way? Well, I think that
is exactly what we are doing! Smile! I also have much better things to do
with my time other than playing around with Win, but because today's tech is
so important to us as blind people, we do have to take the time to learn.
Even though, I say I need a break from Windows, I am determent to figure out
what happened to my so called Win 10. Although, I know it came from a
previous update, I'm going to fine this .... problem! LOL! If not, maybe
I'll do the reset, because at this point, I'm quite annoyed with this all!

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Jim Rawls
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

I have other things to do in my life than to keep messing with this. but of
course I willkeepp doing just that.
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Janet
Sent: Friday, April 2, 2021 1:54 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

HI Jim,
Another story! Smile! Well, I turned on my Win 10 today, and sure enough,
here comes more updates. Ok, I once again attempt to download, and get the
message error files missing from previous update you can't update. Ok, here
I go again with this .... again. So I wait just a couple minutes thinking
what in the hell am I going to do with this. Ok, once again, I get the
message asking me if I want to try the update again, and I agree to do so,
so the .... started downloading, and this time it took close to an hour, and
then it restarted on it's own, although, it would always say I need to
restart to complete the download, but not this time. Well, now JAWS has a
speech impediment once again. Jim, I am seriously thinking your problem is
definitely coming from an update you must have tried to update before, and
as I said, this is common with Windows. Some people never have this
problem, and some people do. I also think MS knows this, but they aren't
going to tell you one of their updates corrupted your system. I do know for
a fact this can and has happened, but I never had this to happen to me
though, so I really never paid close attention to how Windows can really
effect someone's PC. Maybe this answers our question why MS keeps saying
there isn't anything they can do. I also heard when MS sends out updates,
Laptops are the last ones to get them, as well as they send updates to
people who haven't had previous problems in downloading their updates. I'm
going to research this further as I want to know more about this. As far as
my Win 10, I'm going to have to go back to the Geek squad, because I want
someone to tell me exactly what is this problem. There are some options
that you could do if you really wanted to, but it does involve quite a bit,
and I don't know if you would want to go through all that, I know I sure
wouldn't. I definitely do believe a reset would make a big difference, but
then again, there is know guarantee though, and you just might end up with
no PC.
Janet

Janet
-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Jim Rawls
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2021 2:47 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

HI Janet, I Appreciate your story, and can understand you wanting to throw
the damn thing out the window. I feel the same way about this one. And, yes,
I get a message that there are pdates to install, so I gtell it to go ahead
and do them. And I then get a message after a little while that windows
couldn't update this computer. So I know that tomorrow we get to do it all
again. Ain't it fun?Computers are a must in everyone's life now, yet, I
taught public school for 33 years just fine with one. I was the only blind
teacher the Covina school district had. I had an internet radio show on the
global voice until this thing started to act up. Now it's so unreliable that
I can't depened on it foar anything. I sure hope things settle down with it
soon, Jim -----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Janet
Sent: Thursday, April 1, 2021 4:26 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Jim,
Ok, it looks like I can now send as well as reply to the list.
Jim I'm going to share a story with you about what happened to me with my
Windows 10 Laptop. Just last Friday I turned on my Win 10 after not having
it turned on well over a week, the first thing I did after turning it on,
was to check for updates. Well, I did have some updates, and yes I did
update, and it took at least 2 hours to complete the update, so I restarted
the PC, and it came back up with a message saying I had an update for JAWS.
Ok, now I updated JAWS, and once again restarted the PC. Needless to say my
nightmare was about to begin. My PC was a total mess, meaning I couldn't do
anything with it even though, I tried working on it all day Friday and half
the day Saturday, as well as working to get JAWS to speak so I could
understand what he was saying. I finally lost my patience, and turned that
.... thing off. I couldn't understand JAWS at all, and the PC was so slow I
couldn't do anything with it. I felt like just throwing the PC out the
window, and believe me I came very close to doing that, but instead, I just
turned it off, and I didn't bother with it until this last Tuesday. Ok now,
Tuesday I turned it on to see if I could do anything with it, but again, I
couldn't, so I checked for updates, and once again, here comes more updates,
and yes I updated it, and I couldn't believe that update took exactly 4
hours to update, and sometimes JAWS would speak the percentage of the
update, and then JAWS would just get tired, and he would stop speaking, so I
didn't know what was going on, and being as curious as I am, I would press
the insert key plus the letter t for the title bar just so I would hear what
JAWS has to say, and then he would speak the percentage for awhile, and he
would once again stop, but my point is the update kept updating, in which
was fine for me, but I was ready to plug in my Laptop charger as I was
concerned the Laptop batteries would just die, but finally the .... finished
updating, and I had to restart so the PC could finish the complete update.
Well, needless to say, that really blew me away, as I never seen an update
take a total of 4 hours, in which that tells me something was most
definitely wrong with the previous update, and the PC was repairing the
corrupted update, and then downloaded the clean update. I've been working
with desktop computers as well as with JAWS for 30 years, and I've never
came across this. This was a first one for me. Ok now, today I turned on
my Win 10 again, and once again I checked for updates. Well now, more
updates to download, as I attempted to download the update, I got a message
saying there is an error and I'm missing some files, and I can't update, I
had no idea what was going on now, so I press the ok button to accept the
error message, and I waited for a few minutes, and I attempted the updates
again, and this time for what ever reason the damn thing finally downloaded
the update, and once again restarted the Laptop, and I waited for close to
an hour, and I just shut it off, and so far, it is working fine! So as you
can see Jim there are several different reasons things like this happen, but
I have no idea why. The reasons why I asked you the questions I asked you
earlier was to be for sure when you attempted to download an update your
updates could have easily gotten corrupted, and if you weren't paying close
attention, you might have not noticed that. It's really strainge because
earlier I was thinking that is what happened to your PC, and believe it or
not, that samething is what happened to me just today. Smile! These things
can and do often happen with Win updates. -----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Jim Rawls
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2021 4:42 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Well, I wait for 20 minutes or so, and I figure it's stuck.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Janet
Sent: Thursday, April 1, 2021 12:40 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Jim,
Ok this is also good to know, as it seems like you are a couple versions
behind though. Now, this might sound like a stupid question, how do you
know the download is stuck?

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Jim Rawls
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2021 2:24 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

I received it in 2017.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Janet
Sent: Thursday, April 1, 2021 12:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Jim,
Ok, this is good to know. Now, when did you get this PC?

Janet


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Jim Rawls
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2021 2:09 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Yes.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Janet
Sent: Thursday, April 1, 2021 12:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Jim,
Wow, did you say your version of Windows is 1909?
Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Jim Rawls
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2021 2:00 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Janet, Microsoft tried to put on the latest version of windows, which is
2032 I think. Anyway, the installation failed, so I still have windows 1909
on this computer. So I wonder if I tried to install a clean install of
windows, if the same thing would happen, and the installation would fail.
What do you think? How would you go about installing a clean version of
windows? The other day when I talked to the lady from Hellen Keller
foundation, she was reluctant to let me have a copy of my office program,
so I would have to find it somewhere, unless there is a way to back up the
one I have. Any comments here are appreciated. Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Janet
Sent: Thursday, April 1, 2021 11:30 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Hi Gene,
I can't understand why MS Disability didn't perform a reset themselves, or
did they. I haven't heard anything about what MS said as to why they can't
do anything, or what did they check, what did they find. The only times
I've had any problems downloading something, is because of my virus
protection, or even just because of my firewall settings, in which I just
turned them off, and tried the download again, and sure enough the download
went through, and I quickly turned on my firewall as well as my virus
protection. Although, I would think MS looked at all that.
Janet .

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Gene
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2021 8:37 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Why not use reset? it saves work and if it doesn't work you can always
reinstall from scratch. But why not try this method of having a completely
clean copy of Windows first?

Then again is it worth doing any of this if you are going to get a new
computer in three months? Use other programs for the ones you can't use now

and we still ddon't know if you can get security updates for the version of
Windows you are running.

When you get the new computer, you may want to experiment with the old one
but is it worth the inconvenience now?

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Matzura
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2021 5:16 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.



I still sayl, as I have from the outset, install Windows 10 from scratch.
That means initializing the disk. Of course you'll want to back everything
up frirst, which maybe by now is no longer possible, only you would know
this.




On 3/31/2021 3:31 PM, Jim Rawls wrote:


Absolutely, but lately, not.





From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Loy
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 7:27 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.







Hi Jim,



Have you ever been able to install a program on your computer? If not, it
could be the organization you got the computer from did not set it up where
you would have administrative rights. Just a thought.











----- Original Message -----



From: Jim Rawls



To: main@TechTalk.groups.io



Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 7:22 PM



Subject: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead of
installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.







Hi all,

When Microsoft tried to install windows 2032 or whatever the latest version
of windows ten is, the installation failed. So I think Bill white is right.
I have a hardware issue on my computer. Jim





































































































Re: the reason I decided to leave things alone instead of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

John Holcomb II
 

Have you looked at lots of laptop keyboards?
There are as many keyboards as there are laptops.
Even different laptops made the same year from the same manufacture use
different keyboards.
No, not all keyboards suck on all laptops!
John

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim
Rawls
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 5:47 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Janet, here is a suggestion that might help you work better with the lap top
you have. I am now using a lap top, but I also bought a separate full
desktop keyboard. You can find them everywhere, and it is so much easier to
use than that damn crunched up keyboard on the lap top. They come in all
kinds of prices and such. I only paid about $50 for mine.it isn't blue
tooth, and it is a little noisy, sort of like a typewriter, but I love it.
Just a thought.
I think windows 7 is a better version than windows ten. That's just me of
course. Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 2:31 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Jim,
Well, I told myself just last night before I went to bed, I will not even
turn on my Win 7 or Win 10 when I get up tomorrow, but low in behold, that
was one of the first things I did. I call that determination! LOL! I
turned on Win 7 as I am backing up thousands and thousands of files from
Win 7 to an external drive, before Win 7 just might crash at least I will
have my files backed up. I've already played around with Win 10, but
because JAWS isn't talking well, I can't do much with Win 10 until JAWS gets
it together, but I'm sure I will need to call FS tomorrow, as this is really
just getting on my last nerve! Although, I have to admit, my Win 7 desktop
is running much faster than my Win 10, as well as JAWS seems to be much more
relaxed! I know I have to try and get used to my new Laptop, but so far, I
don't care for Laptops at all, but like I said, I have a long way to go with
it.

Janet


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Jim Rawls
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:17 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Janet, I couldn't agree with you more. I keep saying that I'm tired of
messing with this computer, and I am, but I just can't leave it alone till
the problem gets solved. So, we shall muddle through, as the British say.
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Janet
Sent: Friday, April 2, 2021 3:51 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Jim,
Did you ever hear of the expression learn the hard way? Well, I think that
is exactly what we are doing! Smile! I also have much better things to do
with my time other than playing around with Win, but because today's tech is
so important to us as blind people, we do have to take the time to learn.
Even though, I say I need a break from Windows, I am determent to figure out
what happened to my so called Win 10. Although, I know it came from a
previous update, I'm going to fine this .... problem! LOL! If not, maybe
I'll do the reset, because at this point, I'm quite annoyed with this all!

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Jim Rawls
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

I have other things to do in my life than to keep messing with this. but of
course I willkeepp doing just that.
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Janet
Sent: Friday, April 2, 2021 1:54 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

HI Jim,
Another story! Smile! Well, I turned on my Win 10 today, and sure enough,
here comes more updates. Ok, I once again attempt to download, and get the
message error files missing from previous update you can't update. Ok, here
I go again with this .... again. So I wait just a couple minutes thinking
what in the hell am I going to do with this. Ok, once again, I get the
message asking me if I want to try the update again, and I agree to do so,
so the .... started downloading, and this time it took close to an hour, and
then it restarted on it's own, although, it would always say I need to
restart to complete the download, but not this time. Well, now JAWS has a
speech impediment once again. Jim, I am seriously thinking your problem is
definitely coming from an update you must have tried to update before, and
as I said, this is common with Windows. Some people never have this
problem, and some people do. I also think MS knows this, but they aren't
going to tell you one of their updates corrupted your system. I do know for
a fact this can and has happened, but I never had this to happen to me
though, so I really never paid close attention to how Windows can really
effect someone's PC. Maybe this answers our question why MS keeps saying
there isn't anything they can do. I also heard when MS sends out updates,
Laptops are the last ones to get them, as well as they send updates to
people who haven't had previous problems in downloading their updates. I'm
going to research this further as I want to know more about this. As far as
my Win 10, I'm going to have to go back to the Geek squad, because I want
someone to tell me exactly what is this problem. There are some options
that you could do if you really wanted to, but it does involve quite a bit,
and I don't know if you would want to go through all that, I know I sure
wouldn't. I definitely do believe a reset would make a big difference, but
then again, there is know guarantee though, and you just might end up with
no PC.
Janet

Janet
-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Jim Rawls
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2021 2:47 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

HI Janet, I Appreciate your story, and can understand you wanting to throw
the damn thing out the window. I feel the same way about this one. And, yes,
I get a message that there are pdates to install, so I gtell it to go ahead
and do them. And I then get a message after a little while that windows
couldn't update this computer. So I know that tomorrow we get to do it all
again. Ain't it fun?Computers are a must in everyone's life now, yet, I
taught public school for 33 years just fine with one. I was the only blind
teacher the Covina school district had. I had an internet radio show on the
global voice until this thing started to act up. Now it's so unreliable that
I can't depened on it foar anything. I sure hope things settle down with it
soon, Jim -----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Janet
Sent: Thursday, April 1, 2021 4:26 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Jim,
Ok, it looks like I can now send as well as reply to the list.
Jim I'm going to share a story with you about what happened to me with my
Windows 10 Laptop. Just last Friday I turned on my Win 10 after not having
it turned on well over a week, the first thing I did after turning it on,
was to check for updates. Well, I did have some updates, and yes I did
update, and it took at least 2 hours to complete the update, so I restarted
the PC, and it came back up with a message saying I had an update for JAWS.
Ok, now I updated JAWS, and once again restarted the PC. Needless to say my
nightmare was about to begin. My PC was a total mess, meaning I couldn't do
anything with it even though, I tried working on it all day Friday and half
the day Saturday, as well as working to get JAWS to speak so I could
understand what he was saying. I finally lost my patience, and turned that
.... thing off. I couldn't understand JAWS at all, and the PC was so slow I
couldn't do anything with it. I felt like just throwing the PC out the
window, and believe me I came very close to doing that, but instead, I just
turned it off, and I didn't bother with it until this last Tuesday. Ok now,
Tuesday I turned it on to see if I could do anything with it, but again, I
couldn't, so I checked for updates, and once again, here comes more updates,
and yes I updated it, and I couldn't believe that update took exactly 4
hours to update, and sometimes JAWS would speak the percentage of the
update, and then JAWS would just get tired, and he would stop speaking, so I
didn't know what was going on, and being as curious as I am, I would press
the insert key plus the letter t for the title bar just so I would hear what
JAWS has to say, and then he would speak the percentage for awhile, and he
would once again stop, but my point is the update kept updating, in which
was fine for me, but I was ready to plug in my Laptop charger as I was
concerned the Laptop batteries would just die, but finally the .... finished
updating, and I had to restart so the PC could finish the complete update.
Well, needless to say, that really blew me away, as I never seen an update
take a total of 4 hours, in which that tells me something was most
definitely wrong with the previous update, and the PC was repairing the
corrupted update, and then downloaded the clean update. I've been working
with desktop computers as well as with JAWS for 30 years, and I've never
came across this. This was a first one for me. Ok now, today I turned on
my Win 10 again, and once again I checked for updates. Well now, more
updates to download, as I attempted to download the update, I got a message
saying there is an error and I'm missing some files, and I can't update, I
had no idea what was going on now, so I press the ok button to accept the
error message, and I waited for a few minutes, and I attempted the updates
again, and this time for what ever reason the damn thing finally downloaded
the update, and once again restarted the Laptop, and I waited for close to
an hour, and I just shut it off, and so far, it is working fine! So as you
can see Jim there are several different reasons things like this happen, but
I have no idea why. The reasons why I asked you the questions I asked you
earlier was to be for sure when you attempted to download an update your
updates could have easily gotten corrupted, and if you weren't paying close
attention, you might have not noticed that. It's really strainge because
earlier I was thinking that is what happened to your PC, and believe it or
not, that samething is what happened to me just today. Smile! These things
can and do often happen with Win updates. -----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Jim Rawls
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2021 4:42 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Well, I wait for 20 minutes or so, and I figure it's stuck.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Janet
Sent: Thursday, April 1, 2021 12:40 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Jim,
Ok this is also good to know, as it seems like you are a couple versions
behind though. Now, this might sound like a stupid question, how do you
know the download is stuck?

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Jim Rawls
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2021 2:24 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

I received it in 2017.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Janet
Sent: Thursday, April 1, 2021 12:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Jim,
Ok, this is good to know. Now, when did you get this PC?

Janet


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Jim Rawls
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2021 2:09 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Yes.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Janet
Sent: Thursday, April 1, 2021 12:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Jim,
Wow, did you say your version of Windows is 1909?
Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Jim Rawls
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2021 2:00 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Janet, Microsoft tried to put on the latest version of windows, which is
2032 I think. Anyway, the installation failed, so I still have windows 1909
on this computer. So I wonder if I tried to install a clean install of
windows, if the same thing would happen, and the installation would fail.
What do you think? How would you go about installing a clean version of
windows? The other day when I talked to the lady from Hellen Keller
foundation, she was reluctant to let me have a copy of my office program,
so I would have to find it somewhere, unless there is a way to back up the
one I have. Any comments here are appreciated. Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Janet
Sent: Thursday, April 1, 2021 11:30 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Hi Gene,
I can't understand why MS Disability didn't perform a reset themselves, or
did they. I haven't heard anything about what MS said as to why they can't
do anything, or what did they check, what did they find. The only times
I've had any problems downloading something, is because of my virus
protection, or even just because of my firewall settings, in which I just
turned them off, and tried the download again, and sure enough the download
went through, and I quickly turned on my firewall as well as my virus
protection. Although, I would think MS looked at all that.
Janet .

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Gene
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2021 8:37 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.

Why not use reset? it saves work and if it doesn't work you can always
reinstall from scratch. But why not try this method of having a completely
clean copy of Windows first?

Then again is it worth doing any of this if you are going to get a new
computer in three months? Use other programs for the ones you can't use now

and we still ddon't know if you can get security updates for the version of
Windows you are running.

When you get the new computer, you may want to experiment with the old one
but is it worth the inconvenience now?

Gene
-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Matzura
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2021 5:16 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.



I still sayl, as I have from the outset, install Windows 10 from scratch.
That means initializing the disk. Of course you'll want to back everything
up frirst, which maybe by now is no longer possible, only you would know
this.




On 3/31/2021 3:31 PM, Jim Rawls wrote:


Absolutely, but lately, not.





From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Loy
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 7:27 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead
of installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.







Hi Jim,



Have you ever been able to install a program on your computer? If not, it
could be the organization you got the computer from did not set it up where
you would have administrative rights. Just a thought.











----- Original Message -----



From: Jim Rawls



To: main@TechTalk.groups.io



Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 7:22 PM



Subject: [TechTalk] the reason I decided to leave things alone instead of
installing a clean install of windows. on my computer.







Hi all,

When Microsoft tried to install windows 2032 or whatever the latest version
of windows ten is, the installation failed. So I think Bill white is right.
I have a hardware issue on my computer. Jim


Re: Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

enes sarıbaş
 

Hi,

I would proceed as follows. Determine CPU version, if greater than second gen Intel, secure boot is a thing. Go to msinfo32 to see if it is off or on. Next, make a bootable flash drive of windows via media creation tool, and then attempt a factory reset after backing up all files and settings. If reset fails, he has a bootable USB to boot from and wipe everything. If reset fixes things, he can reinstall his apps and recopy files and settings.

On 4/3/2021 6:42 PM, Gene wrote:
This is about what someone should do who is unable to update his computer and who hasn't been able to have the Microsoft accessibility desk update it. He also can't install programs and he has problems with Winamp.  He is getting a new computer in about three months.  I'm discussing options he might want to choose until then.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: enes sarıbaş
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 5:39 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Thıs ıs the thıng though Gene. The pcs that support 1909 also support
2009. Upgrade is simple as going to windows update or running upgrade
assistant, both of which are nondistructive.

On 4/3/2021 5:01 PM, Gene wrote:
The machine can't be updated after support for the current version of Windows is no longer supported.

I disagree with your statement except in certain cases if good precautions are taken.  I'm not saying machines shouldn't be kept up to date.  Serious threats are guarded against by updates. There are times when something far more dangerous than what is usually in the environment is introduced by hackers. At such a time it may be more likely that something could happen to a machine but following safe practices and keeping your browser current as well as your antimalware program or programs will mean that two months without seccurity updates isn't that dangerous much of the time.

And something that should be done regardless of whether you are receiving security updates or not is to use an ad blocker with your browser because hacked advertising can spread malware. Using an ad blocker gives you important protection against going to a site with hacked advertising.

Following these precautions will cut your risk of being hacked down significantly, updates or not.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: enes sarıbaş
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:40 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

two months without updates actually is a huge deal, depending on how
severe they are, you could have a machine hacked. An upgrade is
relatively easy through iether through windows update or the upgrade
assistant.

On 4/3/2021 4:34 PM, Gene wrote:
That's right.  I wasn't thinking about the time properly.  Having said that, two months without updates isn't any sort of catastrophe. Have your data files, music, books, whatever else backed up, as they should be anyway, browse sites that are considered safe, keep your browsers updated, have your antimalware definitions current, follow safety rules, and the gap in protection is unlikely to cause problems and if it does, you will have all your data files backed up to be placed on the next machine.  Keep the drive you are backing them up on disconnected from the machine when you aren't using it.  You should do that anyway.  That way, if the machine should become infected, your data is much less likely to be affected.

I don't think there is any good way to proceed except these choices::
Continue to use the machine as it is, perform a reset and see what happens, reinstall Windows from scratch, which I don't think should be done until after a reset is attempted, or take the machine to a reputable repair place and see what they find and recommend.

I'm not trying to be dictatorial.  I'm telling you what I think the choices are that make sense.  There is a chance, it may be a small or quite a small one, that the machine won't work or won't work as well after you try a reset.  It may solve your problems, at least temporarily, however.  And if necessary, whatever happens with the reset, you can reinstall Windows from scratch if you wish or take it to a shop and have it done.  If you can't do things that are important, you may want to try a reset and reinstall Windows if a reset doesn't work.  Either way, there will be considerable work involved because you will have to reinstall all programs.

I should also say that if you take the machine to a good tech, he/she may find a way to solve the problems you are having while not doing a reset or reinstalling Windows.  I don't know how likely that is, however, and you may end up spending more than you want with the result that the problems aren't solved or that not all are.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Gene,
May 11 2021, is only some weeks away.  Jim said he will get the new PC in 3 or 4 months from now.


Janet


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 2:42 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Which means that it is still receiving security and stability updates.
Therefore, there is no security reason to upgrade at this time. the other
computer should be there long before support stops.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'
Subject: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Hi Everyone,
Well, I just came across this article, and thought I would share, as some
especially Jim might be interested in knowing.

Windows 10, version 1909 end of servicing (Home and Pro)
Published: February 11, 2021
Windows 10,
version 1909 will reach the end of servicing on May 11, 2021. This applies
to the following editions of Windows 10 released in November of 2019:
list of 4 items
. Windows 10 Home, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro Education, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1909
These editions will no longer receive security updates after May 11, 2021.
Customers who contact Microsoft Support after this date will be directed to
update their device to the
latest version
of Windows 10 to remain supported.


https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/announcements/windows-10-1909-end-of-servicing


Janet
Peace Be With You.

































Re: Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Gene
 

I don't know why they didn't advise him to do that. You can not make any assumptions about whether that should be attempted just because they didn't discuss it or attempt it.

Microsoft disability desk ranges considerably in quality, depending on who you get. Without discussing the question with someone at the support desk or a good tech, whether working for the disability desk or not, assumptions about what should and would be advisable to do are not able to be made.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 5:56 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Enes,
I know what a factory install is, and I'm sure by now Jim knows as well, but MS didn't advise him to do that, and they didn't offer to do that either. Basically in order for Jim to do a factory reset, all he had to do was use the reset feature on his Win PC, and that would be the factory reset. Because we don't know what the exact reason is to why Jim's PC won't allow him to download, and because there is no guarantee that would correct the main problem, that could do more damage than good to his PC. Remember, we don't know what is stopping the updates from downloading.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 5:44 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

If MS support tried to do everything he could do a factory reset instead
of a for a clean install. A factory reset still keeps files and is
accessible to do.

On 4/3/2021 5:27 PM, Janet wrote:
Enes,
Jim has been trying to download the updates, and he has spend several hours on the phone with the MS help desk, and they tell him they can't do anything. Jim is still on Win 10 version 1909, and in order for him to update to 20h2, he most definitely needs to do a complete install.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:46 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

When you go into windows update, you should see the option to download
and install windows 2009.
On 4/3/2021 4:44 PM, Byron Stephens wrote:
Don't think I have the upgrade thingamebob.
----- Original Message ----- From: "enes sarıbaş"
<enes.saribas@gmail.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 2:43 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.


Not really, windows 2009 is a free upgrade from 1909.

On 4/3/2021 4:42 PM, Byron Stephens wrote:
Ok I didn't know this until now. So this is something I have to go
to the store and buy to get the continued support I guess.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.


That's right. I wasn't thinking about the time properly. Having
said that, two months without updates isn't any sort of
catastrophe. Have your data files, music, books, whatever else
backed up, as they should be anyway, browse sites that are
considered safe, keep your browsers updated, have your antimalware
definitions current, follow safety rules, and the gap in protection
is unlikely to cause problems and if it does, you will have all
your data files backed up to be placed on the next machine. Keep
the drive you are backing them up on disconnected from the machine
when you aren't using it. You should do that anyway. That way, if
the machine should become infected, your data is much less likely
to be affected.

I don't think there is any good way to proceed except these choices::
Continue to use the machine as it is, perform a reset and see what
happens, reinstall Windows from scratch, which I don't think should
be done until after a reset is attempted, or take the machine to a
reputable repair place and see what they find and recommend.

I'm not trying to be dictatorial. I'm telling you what I think the
choices are that make sense. There is a chance, it may be a small
or quite a small one, that the machine won't work or won't work as
well after you try a reset. It may solve your problems, at least
temporarily, however. And if necessary, whatever happens with the
reset, you can reinstall Windows from scratch if you wish or take
it to a shop and have it done. If you can't do things that are
important, you may want to try a reset and reinstall Windows if a
reset doesn't work. Either way, there will be considerable work
involved because you will have to reinstall all programs.

I should also say that if you take the machine to a good tech,
he/she may find a way to solve the problems you are having while
not doing a reset or reinstalling Windows. I don't know how likely
that is, however, and you may end up spending more than you want
with the result that the problems aren't solved or that not all are.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Gene,
May 11 2021, is only some weeks away. Jim said he will get the new
PC in 3 or 4 months from now.


Janet


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 2:42 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Which means that it is still receiving security and stability updates.
Therefore, there is no security reason to upgrade at this time. the
other
computer should be there long before support stops.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'
Subject: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Hi Everyone,
Well, I just came across this article, and thought I would share,
as some
especially Jim might be interested in knowing.

Windows 10, version 1909 end of servicing (Home and Pro)
Published: February 11, 2021
Windows 10,
version 1909 will reach the end of servicing on May 11, 2021. This
applies
to the following editions of Windows 10 released in November of 2019:
list of 4 items
. Windows 10 Home, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro Education, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1909
These editions will no longer receive security updates after May
11, 2021.
Customers who contact Microsoft Support after this date will be
directed to
update their device to the
latest version
of Windows 10 to remain supported.


https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/announcements/windows-10-1909-end-of-servicing



Janet
Peace Be With You.


































As concerns Windows Update: I'm Confused!

Ron Canazzi
 

Hi Group,

With all this talk about Windows Update, I checked to see whether I needed to update.  People on this list have been talking about something called Windows Version 2009.  Windows Update indicated that that something called Windows Feature Update Version 20H2 was available. It said it fixes several bugs and security weaknesses.  I updated it and everything seems to be OK. So just what is this Windows 2009 that everyone is talking about?

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


Re: Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

John Holcomb II
 

She's m need more than that. Remote access would be better.
John

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim
Rawls
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 5:08 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Janet, then, it's more important than ever that I get this problem solved.
You mentioned wanting to get your hands on my computer just to see what's
going on. Well, if you would care to do a tandem session with me I'm for it.
Let me know, and I'll give you my phone number, so that if we do the tandem
thing, we can communicate. Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 11:51 AM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'
Subject: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Hi Everyone,
Well, I just came across this article, and thought I would share, as some
especially Jim might be interested in knowing.

Windows 10, version 1909 end of servicing (Home and Pro)
Published: February 11, 2021
Windows 10,
version 1909 will reach the end of servicing on May 11, 2021. This applies
to the following editions of Windows 10 released in November of 2019:
list of 4 items
. Windows 10 Home, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro Education, version 1909 . Windows 10 Pro for Workstations,
version 1909 These editions will no longer receive security updates after
May 11, 2021.
Customers who contact Microsoft Support after this date will be directed to
update their device to the latest version
 of Windows 10 to remain supported.


https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/announcements/windows-10-1909-end
-of-servicing


Janet
Peace Be With You.


Re: Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Janet
 

Enes,
Wow it looks like your partner is quite far behind in updates though, but at least you now caught this. Assuming you did agree to download the updates, it is a good thing. Now you will need to watch for another update to version 20h2, and hopefully you get that soon. MS is slowly sending out the 20h2, and not everyone gets them at the same time because version 20h2 came out in Oct of 2020, and I just got it a couple of days ago, but then again, I just got my Win 10 in Jan 2021. I'm thinking you might have to go to the MS site and search for the Create Windows 10 installation media tool, and download that in order to download the 20h2 update though. But then again, it really all depends on the version your partner is running for an example running 1909, but be for sure you keep watching for that update, and download it as soon as you get it. You can also go to the MS web site and download it from there. Let's also remember Win 10 version 2009 is actually 20h2, so that might be what you will see.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Evan Reese
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 6:26 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Hi Janet,

She's running Windows 10 Pro. The System Information says that it's
version 10.0.18363. I just checked with Windows Update, and there were
two updates, both for version 1909. One was for removing Flash, and the
other was for updating  dot net framework 3.5 and 4.8, I think.

But there was nothing in the list about an update to get Windows 2009.
So I'm not sure how to get it.

Evan


On 4/3/2021 6:37 PM, Janet wrote:
Evan,
Are you sure Windows is set to automatically update the updates? From my understanding, Windows 10 isn't set to automatically update the updates. I could be wrong though. It sounds like your partner might be using Win 10 version 1909, you might want to check that, as that is ending May 11 2021.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Evan Reese
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 5:12 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

I apologize. I came in in the middle of this thread.

My Life Partner is getting messages on her PC that her version of
Windows 10 is reaching the end of its service life.

I confess that I'm a bit confused by this. If Windows 10 updates are
automatic, why doesn't it just install whatever it needs and stop
bugging her?

Since she isn't very tech savvy, I'll have to do whatever needs doing to
get rid of that message. So what do I have to do?

I really appreciate any guidance; and once again, I apologize for coming
into the middle of this thread.

If this question has already been answered, then someone can reply off
list rather than cluttering up the thread with repetition.

Thanks very much.

Evan


On 4/3/2021 5:43 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
Not really, windows 2009 is a free upgrade from 1909.

On 4/3/2021 4:42 PM, Byron Stephens wrote:
Ok I didn't know this until now. So this is something I have to go to
the store and buy to get the continued support I guess.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.


That's right.  I wasn't thinking about the time properly.  Having
said that, two months without updates isn't any sort of
catastrophe.  Have your data files, music, books, whatever else
backed up, as they should be anyway, browse sites that are
considered safe, keep your browsers updated, have your antimalware
definitions current, follow safety rules, and the gap in protection
is unlikely to cause problems and if it does, you will have all your
data files backed up to be placed on the next machine.  Keep the
drive you are backing them up on disconnected from the machine when
you aren't using it.  You should do that anyway.  That way, if the
machine should become infected, your data is much less likely to be
affected.

I don't think there is any good way to proceed except these choices::
Continue to use the machine as it is, perform a reset and see what
happens, reinstall Windows from scratch, which I don't think should
be done until after a reset is attempted, or take the machine to a
reputable repair place and see what they find and recommend.

I'm not trying to be dictatorial.  I'm telling you what I think the
choices are that make sense.  There is a chance, it may be a small
or quite a small one, that the machine won't work or won't work as
well after you try a reset.  It may solve your problems, at least
temporarily, however.  And if necessary, whatever happens with the
reset, you can reinstall Windows from scratch if you wish or take it
to a shop and have it done.  If you can't do things that are
important, you may want to try a reset and reinstall Windows if a
reset doesn't work.  Either way, there will be considerable work
involved because you will have to reinstall all programs.

I should also say that if you take the machine to a good tech,
he/she may find a way to solve the problems you are having while not
doing a reset or reinstalling Windows.  I don't know how likely that
is, however, and you may end up spending more than you want with the
result that the problems aren't solved or that not all are.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Gene,
May 11 2021, is only some weeks away.  Jim said he will get the new
PC in 3 or 4 months from now.


Janet


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 2:42 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Which means that it is still receiving security and stability updates.
Therefore, there is no security reason to upgrade at this time. the
other
computer should be there long before support stops.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'
Subject: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Hi Everyone,
Well, I just came across this article, and thought I would share, as
some
especially Jim might be interested in knowing.

Windows 10, version 1909 end of servicing (Home and Pro)
Published: February 11, 2021
Windows 10,
version 1909 will reach the end of servicing on May 11, 2021. This
applies
to the following editions of Windows 10 released in November of 2019:
list of 4 items
. Windows 10 Home, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro Education, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1909
These editions will no longer receive security updates after May 11,
2021.
Customers who contact Microsoft Support after this date will be
directed to
update their device to the
latest version
of Windows 10 to remain supported.


https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/announcements/windows-10-1909-end-of-servicing



Janet
Peace Be With You.


































Re: Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Gene
 

You can always place a clean version of Windows on a machine. But there may be corruption problems in Windows so that the updater can't install the updates.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: enes sarıbaş
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 5:40 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

That is incorrect. The way in windows update as well as the upgrade
assistant always work and are nondistructive.

On 4/3/2021 5:10 PM, Janet wrote:
Hi Enes,
Jim is still on version 1909, and he hasn't been able to update the updates on his PC, for some strange reason. If he was to update to 20h2, he would definitely need to do a complete install.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:44 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Not really, windows 2009 is a free upgrade from 1909.

On 4/3/2021 4:42 PM, Byron Stephens wrote:
Ok I didn't know this until now. So this is something I have to go to
the store and buy to get the continued support I guess.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.


That's right. I wasn't thinking about the time properly. Having
said that, two months without updates isn't any sort of catastrophe.
Have your data files, music, books, whatever else backed up, as they
should be anyway, browse sites that are considered safe, keep your
browsers updated, have your antimalware definitions current, follow
safety rules, and the gap in protection is unlikely to cause problems
and if it does, you will have all your data files backed up to be
placed on the next machine. Keep the drive you are backing them up
on disconnected from the machine when you aren't using it. You
should do that anyway. That way, if the machine should become
infected, your data is much less likely to be affected.

I don't think there is any good way to proceed except these choices::
Continue to use the machine as it is, perform a reset and see what
happens, reinstall Windows from scratch, which I don't think should
be done until after a reset is attempted, or take the machine to a
reputable repair place and see what they find and recommend.

I'm not trying to be dictatorial. I'm telling you what I think the
choices are that make sense. There is a chance, it may be a small or
quite a small one, that the machine won't work or won't work as well
after you try a reset. It may solve your problems, at least
temporarily, however. And if necessary, whatever happens with the
reset, you can reinstall Windows from scratch if you wish or take it
to a shop and have it done. If you can't do things that are
important, you may want to try a reset and reinstall Windows if a
reset doesn't work. Either way, there will be considerable work
involved because you will have to reinstall all programs.

I should also say that if you take the machine to a good tech, he/she
may find a way to solve the problems you are having while not doing a
reset or reinstalling Windows. I don't know how likely that is,
however, and you may end up spending more than you want with the
result that the problems aren't solved or that not all are.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Gene,
May 11 2021, is only some weeks away. Jim said he will get the new
PC in 3 or 4 months from now.


Janet


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 2:42 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Which means that it is still receiving security and stability updates.
Therefore, there is no security reason to upgrade at this time. the
other
computer should be there long before support stops.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'
Subject: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Hi Everyone,
Well, I just came across this article, and thought I would share, as
some
especially Jim might be interested in knowing.

Windows 10, version 1909 end of servicing (Home and Pro)
Published: February 11, 2021
Windows 10,
version 1909 will reach the end of servicing on May 11, 2021. This
applies
to the following editions of Windows 10 released in November of 2019:
list of 4 items
. Windows 10 Home, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro Education, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1909
These editions will no longer receive security updates after May 11,
2021.
Customers who contact Microsoft Support after this date will be
directed to
update their device to the
latest version
of Windows 10 to remain supported.


https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/announcements/windows-10-1909-end-of-servicing



Janet
Peace Be With You.






























Re: Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Gene
 

Evidently you haven't been following the thread which has been going on for days. If it was that easy, it would probably have been done. Trouble shooters are useful but they have their limitations.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: enes sarıbaş
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 5:40 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

such problems are easy to solve, troubleshooters or the upgrade
assistant etc. Microsoft support is also free.
On 4/3/2021 5:03 PM, Gene wrote:
We are talking about an old version of Windows 10 which a list member can't update. He is getting a new machine about two months after the old version goes out of support. If you keep Windows current or even a version or maybe two behind, you can still receive security updates. I don't know if you can with a version that is two versions behind, others may comment on that. But there is nothing to buy. Keeping Windows current is free.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Byron Stephens
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:42 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Ok I didn't know this until now. So this is something I have to go to the
store and buy to get the continued support I guess.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.


That's right. I wasn't thinking about the time properly. Having said that, two months without updates isn't any sort of catastrophe. Have your data files, music, books, whatever else backed up, as they should be anyway, browse sites that are considered safe, keep your browsers updated, have your antimalware definitions current, follow safety rules, and the gap in protection is unlikely to cause problems and if it does, you will have all your data files backed up to be placed on the next machine. Keep the drive you are backing them up on disconnected from the machine when you aren't using it. You should do that anyway. That way, if the machine should become infected, your data is much less likely to be affected.

I don't think there is any good way to proceed except these choices::
Continue to use the machine as it is, perform a reset and see what happens, reinstall Windows from scratch, which I don't think should be done until after a reset is attempted, or take the machine to a reputable repair place and see what they find and recommend.

I'm not trying to be dictatorial. I'm telling you what I think the choices are that make sense. There is a chance, it may be a small or quite a small one, that the machine won't work or won't work as well after you try a reset. It may solve your problems, at least temporarily, however. And if necessary, whatever happens with the reset, you can reinstall Windows from scratch if you wish or take it to a shop and have it done. If you can't do things that are important, you may want to try a reset and reinstall Windows if a reset doesn't work. Either way, there will be considerable work involved because you will have to reinstall all programs.

I should also say that if you take the machine to a good tech, he/she may find a way to solve the problems you are having while not doing a reset or reinstalling Windows. I don't know how likely that is, however, and you may end up spending more than you want with the result that the problems aren't solved or that not all are.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 4:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Gene,
May 11 2021, is only some weeks away. Jim said he will get the new PC in 3 or 4 months from now.


Janet


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 2:42 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Which means that it is still receiving security and stability updates.
Therefore, there is no security reason to upgrade at this time. the other
computer should be there long before support stops.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Janet
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:51 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io'
Subject: [TechTalk] Win10 version 1909 end of servicing.

Hi Everyone,
Well, I just came across this article, and thought I would share, as some
especially Jim might be interested in knowing.

Windows 10, version 1909 end of servicing (Home and Pro)
Published: February 11, 2021
Windows 10,
version 1909 will reach the end of servicing on May 11, 2021. This applies
to the following editions of Windows 10 released in November of 2019:
list of 4 items
. Windows 10 Home, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro Education, version 1909
. Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1909
These editions will no longer receive security updates after May 11, 2021.
Customers who contact Microsoft Support after this date will be directed to
update their device to the
latest version
of Windows 10 to remain supported.


https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/announcements/windows-10-1909-end-of-servicing


Janet
Peace Be With You.



























2861 - 2880 of 100693