Date   

Re: restoring my computer from image back up questions

Carlos
 

If you were able to retrieve the product key from the COA key sticker, we could probably arrange for a Windows 7 ISO image you could use to perform a clean installation.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Melissa" <@MJMarney>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 9:37 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] restoring my computer from image back up questions


Okay, so I finally got a chance to run that prog and get my service
tag. I took the service tag they gave me and used it on the dell site
to get the media/iso so I could reinstall windows 7. After having to
re enable wibvisum to use it to solve the captcha I got this error:
Recovery image not available for your Service Tag.
Sorry, but a Dell Hosted Recovery Image is currently not available for
the Service Tag that you entered. Please enter another Service Tag or
contact Dell Technical Support for further assistance.

I contacted support so I'm just waiting for them to tell me "too bad
so sad" ... rolling my eyes here, lol.
I'm starting a new email about computer specs or something to take my
mind off of this frustration.

Melissa
On 8/25/16, Carlos <carlos1106@...> wrote:
Melissa, just have someone sighted look for the product key on the COA key
sticker. On desktops it is usually on the side or the top of the case.
With laptops it is usually on the bottom.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Melissa" <@MJMarney>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 11:04 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] restoring my computer from image back up questions


That sounds complicated. I bought my computer from a seller off of
amazon and I'm guessing he was able to do a fresh install, because I
don't recall any dell stuff when I first got my computer.
It just had windows 7 professional, 64 bit and I don't remember any
extra programs sides the basics. Maybe he just uninstalled them who
freaking knows.

This is so very frustrating because I had finally made the decision
(very long story there) to try and see if I could do some freelance
transcribing or editing and now ... oh gee my computer ends up being a
total ass hat.


Walking away from computer before I throw something.
TTFN
Melissa

On 8/25/16, Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io <gocloud84=aol.com@groups.io>
wrote:
Yes unfortunately that's right but not always. It's possible to fix the
issues but it's not easy.
We are gambling...<Smile>

On 8/25/2016 7:52 PM, Carlos wrote:
Usually this means it is an OEM product key which generally you cannot
use to activate a retail copy of Windows 7. In some cases, modifying
ei.cfg
will allow the image to work with an OEM key, but I have read reports
of
this not always working.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io"
<gocloud84=aol.com@groups.io>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:48 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] restoring my computer from image back up
questions


Seams she have the product key. She just can't download Windows using
the key which is normal. That site do not work with any key I tried.

On 8/25/2016 7:47 PM, Carlos wrote:
It won't do you any good unless you have a working product key.
However, just about any machine which came with Windows 7
preinstalled
from a manufacturer should have the product key on a COA key sticker.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io"
<gocloud84=aol.com@groups.io>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:43 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] restoring my computer from image back up
questions


Do not worry at all.
Windows 7 professional? Sorry 32 or 64 bit? Hope you know. I will
send
you a download link.

On 8/25/2016 7:42 PM, Melissa wrote:
I used Active@ disk image to create my image files.

I want to download windows 7 professional, 64 bit.But, the windows
site is telling me to talk to the manufacturer and that they can't
help me with that. I will have to get the service tag number, my
computer is a dell, and go through their site to try and get a copy
of
windows 7 and since my computer is out of warranty I might get
charged
for it, I don't know yet.
I'm not sure what version of office I have beside it being 2007.

I have a bad headache right now so I'm going to try and sleep now.
That, or I will be slow to reply because I'm never good at getting
to
sleep when I want, lol.

On 8/25/16, Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io
<gocloud84=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
About the password: most likely no. What imaging software you
used,
however?
Still trying to understand what you want to download? Windows 7 or
Office 2007? If windows 7, yes. Windows 7 download still do not
work
with all keys. What edition of Windows 7 do you want?
For Office 2007 also, what Office 2007 edition you have? Probably
just
the Home and Student version?
Confirm these, and we'll try to help.

On 8/25/2016 7:28 PM, Melissa wrote:
For some odd reason I can't recall or put in right the password
that I
had used to make my windows 7 image. I always use a variant of a
few
things when I make passwords and I know I didn't put in a super
hard
password for it. I'm guessing this is a no, but is there a way to
get
the password from the image?
I do have an image that I took *right* after I upgraded to
windows 10.
However, the option to rollback to windows 7 is not there at all.
I'm
guessing that I'm just SOL with that?
Since I want windows 7 I'm guessing that I will have to do a
clean
install, which is probably a good thing to do anyway.
The only issue I might have with that is I'm unable to get a
download
of Office 07, even though I have the right key. I use word and
excel a
lot and don't use the other tools. I'm guessing I would have to
contact microsoft accessibility for that.
After trying to download the iso file from the microsoft website,

I
entered in my serial number, and clicked on verify. It tells me:
Error
The product key you entered appears to be for software
pre-installed
by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device
manufacturer for
software recovery options.

So does that mean I have to harass dell for a copy of windows 7
for my
old ass computer?? I don't even think they offer support for my
model
, opti plex 745.
After searching their site it looks like I need to hunt down a
sightling to get the service tag number from my tower before I
can
download their media creation crap. Plus, since my computer is
way out
of warranty there might be a "fee" associated with that and
getting
help for it.

All I want is a clean install of windows 7 professional 64 bit,
without the crapware, that I had when I bought my computer.
Do any of you fine people have a suggestion?
















Re: restoring my computer from image back up questions

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>
 


Hi Melissa,
 
Did you find your Windows 7 key code anywhere on the computer?  I'm sure that it's been mentioned, that if you have the keycode you can reinstall Windows 7.  Or, since I haven't followed this thread closely at all, am I way the hell off base?
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

----- Original Message -----
From: Melissa
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 6:37 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] restoring my computer from image back up questions

Okay, so I finally got a chance to run that prog and get my service
tag. I took the service tag they gave me and used it on the dell site
to get the media/iso so I could reinstall windows 7. After having to
re enable wibvisum to use it to solve the captcha I got this error:
Recovery image not available for your Service Tag.
Sorry, but a Dell Hosted Recovery Image is currently not available for
the Service Tag that you entered. Please enter another Service Tag or
contact Dell Technical Support for further assistance.

I contacted support so I'm just waiting for them to tell me "too bad
so sad" ... rolling my eyes here, lol.
I'm starting a new email about computer specs or something to take my
mind off of this frustration.

Melissa
On 8/25/16, Carlos <carlos1106@...> wrote:
> Melissa, just have someone sighted look for the product key on the COA key
> sticker.  On desktops it is usually on the side or the top of the case.
> With laptops it is usually on the bottom.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Melissa" <melissa.j.hammitt@...>
> To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
> Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 11:04 PM
> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] restoring my computer from image back up questions
>
>
>> That sounds complicated. I bought my computer from a seller off of
>> amazon and I'm guessing he was able to do a fresh install, because I
>> don't recall any dell stuff when I first got my computer.
>> It just had windows 7 professional, 64 bit and I don't remember any
>> extra programs sides the basics. Maybe he just uninstalled them who
>> freaking knows.
>>
>> This is so very frustrating because I had finally made the decision
>> (very long story there)  to try and see if I could do some freelance
>> transcribing or editing and now ... oh gee my computer ends up being a
>> total ass hat.
>>
>>
>> Walking away from computer before I throw something.
>> TTFN
>> Melissa
>>
>> On 8/25/16, Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io <gocloud84@...>
>> wrote:
>>> Yes unfortunately that's right but not always. It's possible to fix the
>>> issues but it's not easy.
>>> We are gambling...<Smile>
>>>
>>> On 8/25/2016 7:52 PM, Carlos wrote:
>>>> Usually this means it is an OEM product key which generally you cannot
>>>> use to activate a retail copy of Windows 7.  In some cases, modifying
>>>> ei.cfg
>>>> will allow the image to work with an OEM key, but I have read reports
>>>> of
>>>> this not always working.
>>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io"
>>>> <gocloud84@...>
>>>> To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
>>>> Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:48 PM
>>>> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] restoring my computer from image back up
>>>> questions
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> Seams she have the product key. She just can't download Windows using
>>>>> the key which is normal. That site do not work with any key I tried.
>>>>>
>>>>> On 8/25/2016 7:47 PM, Carlos wrote:
>>>>>> It won't do you any good unless you have a working product key.
>>>>>> However, just about any machine which came with Windows 7
>>>>>> preinstalled
>>>>>> from a manufacturer should have the product key on a COA key sticker.
>>>>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io"
>>>>>> <gocloud84@...>
>>>>>> To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
>>>>>> Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:43 PM
>>>>>> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] restoring my computer from image back up
>>>>>> questions
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Do not worry at all.
>>>>>>> Windows 7 professional? Sorry 32 or 64 bit? Hope you know. I will
>>>>>>> send
>>>>>>> you a download link.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On 8/25/2016 7:42 PM, Melissa wrote:
>>>>>>>> I used Active@ disk image to create my image files.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I want to download windows 7 professional, 64 bit.But, the windows
>>>>>>>> site is telling me to talk to the manufacturer and that they can't
>>>>>>>> help me with that. I will have to get the service tag number, my
>>>>>>>> computer is a dell, and go through their site to try and get a copy
>>>>>>>> of
>>>>>>>> windows 7 and since my computer is out of warranty I might get
>>>>>>>> charged
>>>>>>>> for it, I don't know yet.
>>>>>>>> I'm not sure what version of office I have beside it being 2007.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I have a bad headache right now so I'm going to try and sleep now.
>>>>>>>> That, or I will be slow to reply because I'm never good at getting
>>>>>>>> to
>>>>>>>> sleep when I want, lol.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On 8/25/16, Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io
>>>>>>>> <gocloud84@...> wrote:
>>>>>>>>> About the password: most likely no. What imaging software you
>>>>>>>>> used,
>>>>>>>>> however?
>>>>>>>>> Still trying to understand what you want to download? Windows 7 or
>>>>>>>>> Office 2007? If windows 7, yes. Windows 7 download still do not
>>>>>>>>> work
>>>>>>>>> with all keys. What edition of Windows 7 do you want?
>>>>>>>>> For Office 2007 also, what Office 2007 edition you have? Probably
>>>>>>>>> just
>>>>>>>>> the Home and Student version?
>>>>>>>>> Confirm these, and we'll try to help.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> On 8/25/2016 7:28 PM, Melissa wrote:
>>>>>>>>>> For some odd reason I can't recall or put in right the password
>>>>>>>>>> that I
>>>>>>>>>> had used to make my windows 7 image. I always use a variant of a
>>>>>>>>>> few
>>>>>>>>>> things when I make passwords and I know I didn't put in a super
>>>>>>>>>> hard
>>>>>>>>>> password for it. I'm guessing this is a no, but is there a way to
>>>>>>>>>> get
>>>>>>>>>> the password from the image?
>>>>>>>>>> I do have an image that I took *right* after I upgraded to
>>>>>>>>>> windows 10.
>>>>>>>>>> However, the option to rollback to windows 7 is not there at all.
>>>>>>>>>> I'm
>>>>>>>>>> guessing that I'm just SOL with that?
>>>>>>>>>> Since I want windows 7 I'm guessing that I will have to do a
>>>>>>>>>> clean
>>>>>>>>>> install, which is probably a good thing to do anyway.
>>>>>>>>>> The only issue I might have with that is I'm unable to get a
>>>>>>>>>> download
>>>>>>>>>> of Office 07, even though I have the right key. I use word and
>>>>>>>>>> excel a
>>>>>>>>>> lot and don't use the other tools. I'm guessing I would have to
>>>>>>>>>> contact microsoft accessibility for that.
>>>>>>>>>> After trying to download the iso file from the microsoft website,
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> I
>>>>>>>>>> entered in my serial number, and clicked on verify. It tells me:
>>>>>>>>>> Error
>>>>>>>>>> The product key you entered appears to be for software
>>>>>>>>>> pre-installed
>>>>>>>>>> by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device
>>>>>>>>>> manufacturer for
>>>>>>>>>> software recovery options.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> So does that mean I have to harass dell for a copy of windows 7
>>>>>>>>>> for my
>>>>>>>>>> old ass computer?? I don't even think they offer support for my
>>>>>>>>>> model
>>>>>>>>>> , opti plex 745.
>>>>>>>>>> After searching their site it looks like I need to hunt down a
>>>>>>>>>> sightling to get the service tag number from my tower before I
>>>>>>>>>> can
>>>>>>>>>> download their media creation crap. Plus, since my computer is
>>>>>>>>>> way out
>>>>>>>>>> of warranty there might be a "fee" associated with that and
>>>>>>>>>> getting
>>>>>>>>>> help for it.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> All I want is a clean install of windows 7 professional 64 bit,
>>>>>>>>>> without the crapware, that I had when I bought my computer.
>>>>>>>>>> Do any of you fine people have a suggestion?
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>



a newer computer & discussing specs

 

I'm about ready to look into getting a newer if not a new computer. It
would mean putting off stuff I've been saving for ... but I need a
working computer to actually make moneyand well I've been putting off
getting my divorce for this long I'm thinking I can put it off a bit
more, lol.

I was looking at amazon to get an idea of costs and saw some entries
for a "mini desktop computer. My thing is that I don't need something
all powerful since I usually use my computer for word processing types
of things and the internet. I don't use my computer to listen to music
or movies.
All I know is that I would want a faster processor, I'm thinking a SSD
drive, bluetooth, wireless (not muy importante, and I can't think of
anything else right now.

If I spend any money on something I want it to be on something that
will last for a while, not for forever, and it be possible to do
maintenance on it or maybe upgrade it.

I greatly value y'all's opinions.

Excuse me if I am rambling, but trying to talk myself out of being nuerotic.


Melissa


Re: ScripTalk update.

Robin Frost
 

Hi,
I just wanted to let everyone know that Envision America sells a nice carry case for the unit which fits it and a few medications so if you’re ever traveling it can go with you should you need safely protected.  I don’t travel much but chose to get the case anyway just to keep the unit nice and safe at home as well.
Robin
 
 

From: Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 6:44 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] ScripTalk update.
 

This evening, while I was out at a restaurant eating supper, I got a call from Danielle at ScripTalk. She said that the device is on its way to me and should arrive in five to seven days. She said they’d check with me to see how it was doing and would be in contact every six months or so. She said that it is a loaner, so that if for any reason I no longer needed it or something happened to me, it should be returned to them. She wanted to know how I learned about it, and I said from a friend in Texas, and she was very happy to hear that we had discussed it on this list.

 

Best from,

 

Carolyn

 


Re: restoring my computer from image back up questions

 

Okay, so I finally got a chance to run that prog and get my service
tag. I took the service tag they gave me and used it on the dell site
to get the media/iso so I could reinstall windows 7. After having to
re enable wibvisum to use it to solve the captcha I got this error:
Recovery image not available for your Service Tag.
Sorry, but a Dell Hosted Recovery Image is currently not available for
the Service Tag that you entered. Please enter another Service Tag or
contact Dell Technical Support for further assistance.

I contacted support so I'm just waiting for them to tell me "too bad
so sad" ... rolling my eyes here, lol.
I'm starting a new email about computer specs or something to take my
mind off of this frustration.

Melissa

On 8/25/16, Carlos <carlos1106@...> wrote:
Melissa, just have someone sighted look for the product key on the COA key
sticker. On desktops it is usually on the side or the top of the case.
With laptops it is usually on the bottom.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Melissa" <@MJMarney>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 11:04 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] restoring my computer from image back up questions


That sounds complicated. I bought my computer from a seller off of
amazon and I'm guessing he was able to do a fresh install, because I
don't recall any dell stuff when I first got my computer.
It just had windows 7 professional, 64 bit and I don't remember any
extra programs sides the basics. Maybe he just uninstalled them who
freaking knows.

This is so very frustrating because I had finally made the decision
(very long story there) to try and see if I could do some freelance
transcribing or editing and now ... oh gee my computer ends up being a
total ass hat.


Walking away from computer before I throw something.
TTFN
Melissa

On 8/25/16, Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io <gocloud84=aol.com@groups.io>
wrote:
Yes unfortunately that's right but not always. It's possible to fix the
issues but it's not easy.
We are gambling...<Smile>

On 8/25/2016 7:52 PM, Carlos wrote:
Usually this means it is an OEM product key which generally you cannot
use to activate a retail copy of Windows 7. In some cases, modifying
ei.cfg
will allow the image to work with an OEM key, but I have read reports
of
this not always working.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io"
<gocloud84=aol.com@groups.io>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:48 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] restoring my computer from image back up
questions


Seams she have the product key. She just can't download Windows using
the key which is normal. That site do not work with any key I tried.

On 8/25/2016 7:47 PM, Carlos wrote:
It won't do you any good unless you have a working product key.
However, just about any machine which came with Windows 7
preinstalled
from a manufacturer should have the product key on a COA key sticker.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io"
<gocloud84=aol.com@groups.io>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:43 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] restoring my computer from image back up
questions


Do not worry at all.
Windows 7 professional? Sorry 32 or 64 bit? Hope you know. I will
send
you a download link.

On 8/25/2016 7:42 PM, Melissa wrote:
I used Active@ disk image to create my image files.

I want to download windows 7 professional, 64 bit.But, the windows
site is telling me to talk to the manufacturer and that they can't
help me with that. I will have to get the service tag number, my
computer is a dell, and go through their site to try and get a copy
of
windows 7 and since my computer is out of warranty I might get
charged
for it, I don't know yet.
I'm not sure what version of office I have beside it being 2007.

I have a bad headache right now so I'm going to try and sleep now.
That, or I will be slow to reply because I'm never good at getting
to
sleep when I want, lol.

On 8/25/16, Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io
<gocloud84=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
About the password: most likely no. What imaging software you
used,
however?
Still trying to understand what you want to download? Windows 7 or
Office 2007? If windows 7, yes. Windows 7 download still do not
work
with all keys. What edition of Windows 7 do you want?
For Office 2007 also, what Office 2007 edition you have? Probably
just
the Home and Student version?
Confirm these, and we'll try to help.

On 8/25/2016 7:28 PM, Melissa wrote:
For some odd reason I can't recall or put in right the password
that I
had used to make my windows 7 image. I always use a variant of a
few
things when I make passwords and I know I didn't put in a super
hard
password for it. I'm guessing this is a no, but is there a way to
get
the password from the image?
I do have an image that I took *right* after I upgraded to
windows 10.
However, the option to rollback to windows 7 is not there at all.
I'm
guessing that I'm just SOL with that?
Since I want windows 7 I'm guessing that I will have to do a
clean
install, which is probably a good thing to do anyway.
The only issue I might have with that is I'm unable to get a
download
of Office 07, even though I have the right key. I use word and
excel a
lot and don't use the other tools. I'm guessing I would have to
contact microsoft accessibility for that.
After trying to download the iso file from the microsoft website,

I
entered in my serial number, and clicked on verify. It tells me:
Error
The product key you entered appears to be for software
pre-installed
by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device
manufacturer for
software recovery options.

So does that mean I have to harass dell for a copy of windows 7
for my
old ass computer?? I don't even think they offer support for my
model
, opti plex 745.
After searching their site it looks like I need to hunt down a
sightling to get the service tag number from my tower before I
can
download their media creation crap. Plus, since my computer is
way out
of warranty there might be a "fee" associated with that and
getting
help for it.

All I want is a clean install of windows 7 professional 64 bit,
without the crapware, that I had when I bought my computer.
Do any of you fine people have a suggestion?
















Re: ScripTalk update.

Edmond Nazarian <gocloud84@...>
 

Hello, Please is there a website which explain how the enrollment process work? I only see a simple form here,
https://www.envisionamerica.com/sign-up-for-accessible-prescription-labels
With little and even no more information. So how is the enrollment? You fill out a form, and you receive the Script Talk after a year? <Smile> Thanks.

On 8/26/2016 6:21 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
Rite Aid does here in North Carolina.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Spitz
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 6:49 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] ScripTalk update.

I've used the ScriptTalk for a number of years, since back
when it was a palm sized unit and I really like it. The VA
will label my scrips so that they can be read and one local
pharmacy in Madison, WI - Malott's - does the same but I've
yet to find a chain that uses the ScriptTalk labels here in
Wisconsin.



Peter



From: main@TechTalk.groups.io
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 5:44 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] ScripTalk update.



This evening, while I was out at a restaurant eating supper,
I got a call from Danielle at ScripTalk. She said that the
device is on its way to me and should arrive in five to
seven days. She said they'd check with me to see how it was
doing and would be in contact every six months or so. She
said that it is a loaner, so that if for any reason I no
longer needed it or something happened to me, it should be
returned to them. She wanted to know how I learned about it,
and I said from a friend in Texas, and she was very happy to
hear that we had discussed it on this list.



Best from,



Carolyn







Re: ScripTalk update.

Carolyn Arnold
 

Rite Aid does here in North Carolina.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Spitz
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 6:49 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] ScripTalk update.

I've used the ScriptTalk for a number of years, since back
when it was a palm sized unit and I really like it. The VA
will label my scrips so that they can be read and one local
pharmacy in Madison, WI - Malott's - does the same but I've
yet to find a chain that uses the ScriptTalk labels here in
Wisconsin.



Peter



From: main@TechTalk.groups.io
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 5:44 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] ScripTalk update.



This evening, while I was out at a restaurant eating supper,
I got a call from Danielle at ScripTalk. She said that the
device is on its way to me and should arrive in five to
seven days. She said they'd check with me to see how it was
doing and would be in contact every six months or so. She
said that it is a loaner, so that if for any reason I no
longer needed it or something happened to me, it should be
returned to them. She wanted to know how I learned about it,
and I said from a friend in Texas, and she was very happy to
hear that we had discussed it on this list.



Best from,



Carolyn


Re: Folder Sizes

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>
 

Hi Carlos,
 
Well I thank you very much, very interesting.  What was even more interesting was that I understood what the f**k they were talking about!  LOL  LOL 
 
I pasted the article in here so anyone that might be interested could read it as well.
 

Why is There a Big Difference Between ‘Size’ and ‘Size on Disk’?

 

Why-is-there-a-big-difference-between-size-and-size-on-disk-00

 

Most of the time, the values for ‘Size’ and ‘Size on disk’ will be very close to matching when checking a folder or file’s size, but what if there is a huge discrepancy between the two? Today’s SuperUser Q&A post looks at the answer to this confusing problem.

 

Today’s Question & Answer session comes to us courtesy of SuperUser—a subdivision of Stack Exchange, a community-driven grouping of Q&A web sites.

 

The Question

 

SuperUser reader thelastblack wants to know why there is such a huge difference between ‘Size’ and ‘Size on disk’ for a folder on his phone’s SD card:

 

As you can see below, there is so much difference between the ‘Size’ and ‘Size on disk’ fields for this folder. Why is that?

 

why-is-there-a-big-difference-between-size-and-size-on-disk-01

 

I know that ‘Size on disk’ should be a little more than ‘Size’ because of allocation units in Windows, but why is there that much difference? Could it be because of the large number of files?

 

BTW, this folder is on my Android phone’s SD card. Inside this, my maps app stores its cached maps, and the app gets its maps from Google Maps.

 

Looking at the screenshot, there is definitely a huge discrepancy between ‘Size’ and ‘Size on disk’, so what has happened here to cause this?

 

The Answer

 

SuperUser contributor Bob has the answer for us:

 

I will be assuming that you are using the FAT/FAT32 file system here, since you mention this is an SD card. NTFS and exFAT behave similarly with regards to allocation units. Other file systems might be different, but they aren’t supported on Windows anyway.

 

If you have a lot of small files, this is certainly possible. Consider this:

50,000 files

32 KB cluster size (allocation units), which is the max for FAT32

 

Ok, now the minimum space taken is 50,000 * 32,000 = 1.6 GB (using SI prefixes, not binary, to simplify the maths). The space each file takes on the disk is always a multiple of the allocation unit size – and here we’re assuming each file is actually small enough to fit within a single unit, with some (wasted) space left over.

 

If each file averaged 2 KB, you’d get about 100 MB total – but you’re also wasting 15x that (30 KB per file) on average due to the allocation unit size.

 

In-Depth Explanation

 

Why does this happen? Well, the FAT32 file system needs to keep track of where each file is stored. If it were to keep a list of every single byte, the table (like an address book) would grow at the same speed as the data – and waste a lot of space. So what they do is use “allocation units”, also known as the “cluster size”. The volume is divided into these allocation units, and as far as the file system is concerned, they cannot be subdivided – those are the smallest blocks it can address. Much like you have a house number, but your postman doesn’t care how many bedrooms you have or who lives in them.

 

So what happens if you have a very small file? Well, the file system doesn’t care if the file is 0 KB, 2 KB, or even 15 KB, it’ll give it the least space it can – in the example above, that’s 32 KB. Your file is only using a small amount of this space, and the rest is basically wasted, but still belongs to the file – much like a bedroom you leave unoccupied.

 

Why are there different allocation unit sizes? Well, it becomes a trade-off between having a bigger table (address book, e.g. saying John owns a house at 123 Fake Street, 124 Fake Street, 666 Satan Lane, etc.), or more wasted space in each unit (house). If you have larger files, it makes more sense to use larger allocation units – because a file doesn’t get a new unit (house) until all others are filled up. If you have lots of small files, well, you’re going to have a big table (address book) anyway, so may as well give them small units (houses).

 

Large allocation units, as a general rule, will waste a lot of space if you have lots of small files. There usually isn’t a good reason to go above 4 KB for general use.

 

Fragmentation?

 

As for fragmentation, fragmentation shouldn’t waste space in this manner. Large files may be fragmented, i.e. split up, into multiple allocation units, but each unit should be filled before the next one is started. Defragging might save a little space in the allocation tables, but this isn’t your specific issue.

 

Possible Solutions

 

As gladiator2345 suggested, your only real options at this point are to live with it or reformat with smaller allocation units.

 

Your card might be formatted in FAT16, which has a smaller limit on table size and therefore requires much larger allocation units in order to address a larger volume (with an upper limit of 2 GB with 32 KB allocation units). Source courtesy of Braiam. If that is the case, you should be able to safely format as FAT32 anyway.

Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

----- Original Message -----
From: Carlos
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 5:51 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Folder Sizes

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike B.
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 8:35 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Folder Sizes

Hi All,
 
I was checking the size of 1 of my folders, & I noticed the, size, & size on disk, are 2 different sizes, shown below.
 
My Programs Properties
My Programs
Type: File folder
Location: H:\
Size: 103 GB (111,517,552,631 bytes)
Size on disk: 103 GB (111,564,533,760 bytes)
Contains: 20,964 Files, 2,791 Folders
So out of curiosity, would someone please explain why 2 different sizes are displayed when viewing folder sizes in the properties of the folder / file?  Thanks much.
 
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!


Re: Folder Sizes

Carlos
 

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike B.
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 8:35 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Folder Sizes

Hi All,
 
I was checking the size of 1 of my folders, & I noticed the, size, & size on disk, are 2 different sizes, shown below.
 
My Programs Properties
My Programs
Type: File folder
Location: H:\
Size: 103 GB (111,517,552,631 bytes)
Size on disk: 103 GB (111,564,533,760 bytes)
Contains: 20,964 Files, 2,791 Folders
So out of curiosity, would someone please explain why 2 different sizes are displayed when viewing folder sizes in the properties of the folder / file?  Thanks much.
 
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!


Folder Sizes

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>
 

Hi All,
 
I was checking the size of 1 of my folders, & I noticed the, size, & size on disk, are 2 different sizes, shown below.
 
My Programs Properties
My Programs
Type: File folder
Location: H:\
Size: 103 GB (111,517,552,631 bytes)
Size on disk: 103 GB (111,564,533,760 bytes)
Contains: 20,964 Files, 2,791 Folders
So out of curiosity, would someone please explain why 2 different sizes are displayed when viewing folder sizes in the properties of the folder / file?  Thanks much.
 
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!


Re: ScripTalk update.

Troy Burnham
 

Carolyn,
 
Is Danielle the person we need to contact about getting our local pharmacy to use Script Talk?
 
Troy
 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 5:44 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] ScripTalk update.

This evening, while I was out at a restaurant eating supper, I got a call from Danielle at ScripTalk. She said that the device is on its way to me and should arrive in five to seven days. She said they’d check with me to see how it was doing and would be in contact every six months or so. She said that it is a loaner, so that if for any reason I no longer needed it or something happened to me, it should be returned to them. She wanted to know how I learned about it, and I said from a friend in Texas, and she was very happy to hear that we had discussed it on this list.

 

Best from,

 

Carolyn

 




Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com



You tube video

Matt
 

Well this video shows how to shrink and create a partition and delete a partition and extend a drive. It has some visual things in it but it is very understandable and think it will be of help for people that want to do this kind of thing! See link below.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJiakVgAtn4

 

 

Matt.from.florida@...

 

 

 


Re: ScripTalk update.

Peter Spitz
 

I’ve used the ScriptTalk for a number of years, since back when it was a palm sized unit and I really like it.  The VA will label my scrips so that they can be read and one local pharmacy in Madison, WI – Malott’s – does the same but I’ve yet to find a chain that uses the ScriptTalk labels here in Wisconsin.

 

Peter

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 5:44 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] ScripTalk update.

 

This evening, while I was out at a restaurant eating supper, I got a call from Danielle at ScripTalk. She said that the device is on its way to me and should arrive in five to seven days. She said they’d check with me to see how it was doing and would be in contact every six months or so. She said that it is a loaner, so that if for any reason I no longer needed it or something happened to me, it should be returned to them. She wanted to know how I learned about it, and I said from a friend in Texas, and she was very happy to hear that we had discussed it on this list.

 

Best from,

 

Carolyn

 


ScripTalk update.

Carolyn Arnold
 

This evening, while I was out at a restaurant eating supper, I got a call from Danielle at ScripTalk. She said that the device is on its way to me and should arrive in five to seven days. She said they’d check with me to see how it was doing and would be in contact every six months or so. She said that it is a loaner, so that if for any reason I no longer needed it or something happened to me, it should be returned to them. She wanted to know how I learned about it, and I said from a friend in Texas, and she was very happy to hear that we had discussed it on this list.

 

Best from,

 

Carolyn

 


Re: saving home page on internet explorer

Patrick Ford
 

Thank you Mike for this information ...I appreciate your time ...

Come Join The Group
ScripturePassage-subscribe@...

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 1:46 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] saving home page on internet explorer

Good idea, but sometime IE is not the default web browser. That command
opens your default web browser.

On 8/26/2016 10:44 AM, Mike B. wrote:
Hi Patrick,

Another thing you can try when wanting to assign a homepage is to 1.
With IE closed, open the Run dialogue with, Windows key + R.
2. Type in your desired homepage, such as, www.startpage.com
<http://www.startpage.com>, & press enter, & this will open your
desired homepage.
3. Press, Alt + T, for tools, & press, O, for options, tab to, Use
Current Button, & press the spacebar.
4. Tab to, Okay, & press enter.
Doing the above should set your homepage.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool. Go Dodgers!
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Patrick Ford <mailto:xplorer1957@...>
*To:* main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
*Sent:* Friday, August 26, 2016 2:10 AM
*Subject:* Re: [TechTalk] saving home page on internet explorer

Oh ok, you are right it is telling me I can do what you have said
.thanks I will do this .



Come Join The Group

ScripturePassage-subscribe@...
<mailto:ScripturePassage-subscribe@...>



*From:* main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] *On Behalf Of *Carlos
*Sent:* Friday, August 26, 2016 5:08 AM
*To:* main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [TechTalk] saving home page on internet explorer



Newer versions of Internet Explorer have the ability to configure
multiple homepages. By default, only the first configured homepage
will be opened. Use the Up/Down Arrow keys in the homepage edit field
and make sure no other homepages are assigned. If so, delete them
before typing in your new homepage.

----- Original Message -----

*From:*Patrick Ford <mailto:xplorer1957@...>

*To:*main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

*Sent:*Friday, August 26, 2016 5:01 AM

*Subject:*[TechTalk] saving home page on internet explorer



Hi,

Using windows 7 and internet explorer 11 how do I save a new home
page. I have gone into internet options and have written in the new
address but it does not save it after hitting apply and ok.

There are I think three buttons and I have tried each one but still
cannot save the home page.

So, do you know what I am doing wrong in trying to save a new home
page?

Thanks.

Patrick



Come Join The Group

ScripturePassage-subscribe@...
<mailto:ScripturePassage-subscribe@...>




Re: saving home page on internet explorer

Edmond Nazarian <gocloud84@...>
 

Good idea, but sometime IE is not the default web browser. That command opens your default web browser.

On 8/26/2016 10:44 AM, Mike B. wrote:
Hi Patrick,

Another thing you can try when wanting to assign a homepage is to
1. With IE closed, open the Run dialogue with, Windows key + R.
2. Type in your desired homepage, such as, www.startpage.com
<http://www.startpage.com>, & press enter, & this will open your desired
homepage.
3. Press, Alt + T, for tools, & press, O, for options, tab to, Use
Current Button, & press the spacebar.
4. Tab to, Okay, & press enter.
Doing the above should set your homepage.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool. Go Dodgers!
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Patrick Ford <mailto:xplorer1957@...>
*To:* main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
*Sent:* Friday, August 26, 2016 2:10 AM
*Subject:* Re: [TechTalk] saving home page on internet explorer

Oh ok, you are right it is telling me I can do what you have said
…thanks I will do this …



Come Join The Group

ScripturePassage-subscribe@...
<mailto:ScripturePassage-subscribe@...>



*From:* main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] *On Behalf Of *Carlos
*Sent:* Friday, August 26, 2016 5:08 AM
*To:* main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [TechTalk] saving home page on internet explorer



Newer versions of Internet Explorer have the ability to configure
multiple homepages. By default, only the first configured homepage will
be opened. Use the Up/Down Arrow keys in the homepage edit field and
make sure no other homepages are assigned. If so, delete them before
typing in your new homepage.

----- Original Message -----

*From:*Patrick Ford <mailto:xplorer1957@...>

*To:*main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

*Sent:*Friday, August 26, 2016 5:01 AM

*Subject:*[TechTalk] saving home page on internet explorer



Hi,

Using windows 7 and internet explorer 11 how do I save a new home
page. I have gone into internet options and have written in the new
address but it does not save it after hitting apply and ok.

There are I think three buttons and I have tried each one but still
cannot save the home page.

So, do you know what I am doing wrong in trying to save a new home page?

Thanks.

Patrick



Come Join The Group

ScripturePassage-subscribe@...
<mailto:ScripturePassage-subscribe@...>




Re: saving home page on internet explorer

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>
 

Hi Patrick,
 
Another thing you can try when wanting to assign a homepage is to
1. With IE closed, open the Run dialogue with, Windows key + R.
2. Type in your desired homepage, such as, www.startpage.com, & press enter, & this will open your desired homepage.
3. Press, Alt + T, for tools, & press, O, for options, tab to, Use Current Button, & press the spacebar.
4. Tab to, Okay, & press enter.
Doing the above should set your homepage.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 2:10 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] saving home page on internet explorer

Oh ok, you are right it is telling me I can do what you have said …thanks I will do this …

 

Come Join The Group

ScripturePassage-subscribe@...

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 5:08 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] saving home page on internet explorer

 

Newer versions of Internet Explorer have the ability to configure multiple homepages.  By default, only the first configured homepage will be opened.  Use the Up/Down Arrow keys in the homepage edit field and make sure no other homepages are assigned.  If so, delete them before typing in your new homepage.

----- Original Message -----

From: Patrick Ford

Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 5:01 AM

Subject: [TechTalk] saving home page on internet explorer

 

Hi,

Using windows 7 and internet explorer 11 how do I save a new home page. I have gone into internet options and have written in the new address but it does not save it after hitting apply and ok.

There are I think three buttons and I have tried each one but still cannot save the home page.

So, do you know what I am doing wrong in trying to save a new home page?

Thanks.

Patrick

 

Come Join The Group

ScripturePassage-subscribe@...

 


Re: Accessibility implications of the secure boot leak

Edmond Nazarian <gocloud84@...>
 

Not going to read the whole topic but Carlos's Win10PE works with
secure boot enabled systems. Have a nice day.

On 8/26/2016 5:05 AM, Iaen Cordell wrote:
Carlos, this maybe of interest for your talking windows PE builds.
Cheers
IC
Reposted with out permission.


-----Original Message-----
From: Blind-sysadmins [mailto:blind-sysadmins-bounces@...] On Behalf Of mattias jonsson
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 7:59 PM
To: Blind sysadmins list <blind-sysadmins@...>
Subject: Re: [Blind-sysadmins] Accessibility implications of the secure boot leak

if you have sayed a you have to say b


Den 2016-08-26 kl. 09:17, skrev Ben Mustill-Rose:
Hi all,

Bit of an interesting one here:

By now some of you will have heard that Microsoft has leaked what's
being called a golden key relating to its secure boot process. For
those that haven't, essentially, on newer UEFI based computers that
are prebuilt & the Surface RT tablets you're unable to boot anything
that hasn't been signed by Microsoft. On normal laptops & desktops
you're usually able to just turn it off in the UEFI but obviously this
presents accessibility issues for us.

I'm not going to post any links as I'm assuming that this is a bit of
a grey area legally & replies off list about how to do it will
respectfully go unanswered, but suffice to say that after a bit of
Googling I was able to download a script that disabled secure boot for
me on a computer where it was enabled which allowed me to boot a
talking PE disk. The script is kicked off within Windows and the
process is more or less fully accessible.
My understanding is that MS are pushing out updates that try to stop
the tool from working but at the time of writing they appear not to be
overly effective.

Obviously if we look at the bigger picture, in terms of security this
is a *huge* issue. Never the less, for us, it is a small, all be it
unintended win in terms of accessibility.

Have fun,
Ben.


Re: Accessibility implications of the secure boot leak

Carlos
 

Also, I believe a PE based on Windows 8 or later can boot with Secure Boot enabled. I have not actually tested this myself, but I have read that it is possible and I vaguely remember at least a couple of users reporting that they managed to do so successfully.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Iaen Cordell" <ianc@...>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 8:05 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Accessibility implications of the secure boot leak


Carlos, this maybe of interest for your talking windows PE builds.
Cheers
IC
Reposted with out permission.


-----Original Message-----
From: Blind-sysadmins [mailto:blind-sysadmins-bounces@...] On Behalf Of mattias jonsson
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 7:59 PM
To: Blind sysadmins list <blind-sysadmins@...>
Subject: Re: [Blind-sysadmins] Accessibility implications of the secure boot leak

if you have sayed a you have to say b


Den 2016-08-26 kl. 09:17, skrev Ben Mustill-Rose:
Hi all,

Bit of an interesting one here:

By now some of you will have heard that Microsoft has leaked what's
being called a golden key relating to its secure boot process. For
those that haven't, essentially, on newer UEFI based computers that
are prebuilt & the Surface RT tablets you're unable to boot anything
that hasn't been signed by Microsoft. On normal laptops & desktops
you're usually able to just turn it off in the UEFI but obviously this
presents accessibility issues for us.

I'm not going to post any links as I'm assuming that this is a bit of
a grey area legally & replies off list about how to do it will
respectfully go unanswered, but suffice to say that after a bit of
Googling I was able to download a script that disabled secure boot for
me on a computer where it was enabled which allowed me to boot a
talking PE disk. The script is kicked off within Windows and the
process is more or less fully accessible.
My understanding is that MS are pushing out updates that try to stop
the tool from working but at the time of writing they appear not to be
overly effective.

Obviously if we look at the bigger picture, in terms of security this
is a *huge* issue. Never the less, for us, it is a small, all be it
unintended win in terms of accessibility.

Have fun,
Ben.


Re: Accessibility implications of the secure boot leak

Carlos
 

Hi Iaen,

That is indeed interesting. Thanks for passing it on. My only comments are that I'm not sure I agree the legality is a grey area. A security risk yes, but illegal most likely not. You have the right to disable Secure Boot manually, so disabling it with a script is no different as long as you are only applying it to your own machines. Having said that, Microsoft will almost certainly eventually succeed in making the script ineffective so it probably won't be useful for much longer.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Iaen Cordell" <ianc@...>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 8:05 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Accessibility implications of the secure boot leak


Carlos, this maybe of interest for your talking windows PE builds.
Cheers
IC
Reposted with out permission.


-----Original Message-----
From: Blind-sysadmins [mailto:blind-sysadmins-bounces@...] On Behalf Of mattias jonsson
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 7:59 PM
To: Blind sysadmins list <blind-sysadmins@...>
Subject: Re: [Blind-sysadmins] Accessibility implications of the secure boot leak

if you have sayed a you have to say b


Den 2016-08-26 kl. 09:17, skrev Ben Mustill-Rose:
Hi all,

Bit of an interesting one here:

By now some of you will have heard that Microsoft has leaked what's
being called a golden key relating to its secure boot process. For
those that haven't, essentially, on newer UEFI based computers that
are prebuilt & the Surface RT tablets you're unable to boot anything
that hasn't been signed by Microsoft. On normal laptops & desktops
you're usually able to just turn it off in the UEFI but obviously this
presents accessibility issues for us.

I'm not going to post any links as I'm assuming that this is a bit of
a grey area legally & replies off list about how to do it will
respectfully go unanswered, but suffice to say that after a bit of
Googling I was able to download a script that disabled secure boot for
me on a computer where it was enabled which allowed me to boot a
talking PE disk. The script is kicked off within Windows and the
process is more or less fully accessible.
My understanding is that MS are pushing out updates that try to stop
the tool from working but at the time of writing they appear not to be
overly effective.

Obviously if we look at the bigger picture, in terms of security this
is a *huge* issue. Never the less, for us, it is a small, all be it
unintended win in terms of accessibility.

Have fun,
Ben.