Date   

Re: Admin. the discussion about accessibility and other topics

Gene
 

I don't know who started the thread and it doesn't matter. If you don't see the logic of what I did and that it isn't personal, I'm sorry. I'm not sure what you wanted to discuss. If you tell me what it is, I'll let you know if I think it will start a divisive and largely off topic thread if you introdeuce it again.

I haven't looked into whether a list owner can moderate just one thread, though I don't recall any such setting. A llist owner can moderate specific members requiring approval for all their messages but as far as I know, a list owner can't pick a specific thread and say that all messages to that specific thread will be moderated. That being the case, if a thread develops that leads to a lot of possibly divisive comments and possibly divisive arguments, the thread should be stopped. Also, if a thread results in a lot of such traffic, many people will not want to have all this unwanted mail. While people can mute topics, they may not be around when the thread is in progress or they may not know how to mute threads. its just bad for a list for a list owner not to exert control for the order and peace of the list. I seldom do so or have to do so because the list is generally very well behaved, with people following the rules regarding staying reasonably on topic and civility. I may have blocked perhaps two threads, maybe three, since I've been owner and that has been for a number of years.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Leedy Diane Bomar
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 9:49 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Admin. the discussion about accessibility and other topics

I post infrequently, and will start threads even less often, now. I feel like unsubscribing to all lists, right now! How do you suggest that I reinstate my thread? There was some good discussion on the topic I wanted answers and support for. Moderators can easily delete messages without locking a thread. I feel very kicked in the face! Why bother trying to participate with others, be part of any group, when the "leader" just cuts off anything you might come out of your shell long enough to share! I live a very independent, though reclusive, life, and your actions, though unintentional, only encourage me to cut myself off from the world even more!

Diane Bomar
On Oct 19, 2020, at 20:39, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

there is no way to know on a list with a large number of members where a thread will go. {People read threads at different times and who knows what sort of responses and arguments might have developed even if I had just told people to stay on topic. I see it all the time. A list owner may tell people to stay on topic or try to control a potentially devisive thread and a lot of people respond anyway, not because they are being willfully disobedient, but because they haven't read all the messages in the thread yet and are replying as they go. Who knows how many people will reply to how many messages before they finally see my message. Who knows hours later, how many other people will do the same thing. At some point, the job of a list owner is to stop off topic and potentially divisive posts.

I said that anyone who wants may carry on the discussion on the chat list. A lot of list members don't join associated chat lists, but that is the best that can be done.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Leedy Diane Bomar
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 7:48 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Admin. the discussion about accessibility and other topics



Diane Bomar
On Oct 19, 2020, at 13:26, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

I should add that I would have locked the topic sooner but I wasn't following the list for a few hours.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gene via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 2:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Admin. the discussion about accessibility and other topics

this topic is taking a lot of time and space on the list. It has also moved
into areas such as politics. While a certain amount of discussion of
accessibility as an issue, and I even let a little politics slip in at rare
times if it is a very small part of a larger thread, keeps the list lively,
such wide ranging discussions easily become divisive and a lot of people
don't want to see so much traffic. I am therefore closing the topic.
Anyone who wishes may discuss this issue and pretty much anything else on
the chat list, the address for joining is provided in the footers of every
message.

Gene, owner








So, because people cannot stay on topic, I am now unable to reply to messages in that thread that were on topic? Somehow that doesn't seem fair to me the original poster. I have tried to reply and the mail bounces back. How can I communicate with others who were writing good responses to my thread? I have deleted the inappropriate responses that should have been put into another thread, or deleted from the list, and the individuals who cannot stay on topic should be reprimanded. Why is the author of the thread being penalized for the misdeeds of others?


facebook page

Kimsan
 

There was a link that was passed around on here when using fb. I no longer have that email, can someone send it?

 

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

If you are into HipHop or R&B, I invite you to subscribe to my youtube artist channel at

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFzrNcgBfHguK-LnnJMMylA

Also, you may follow me on twitter:

https://twitter.com/kims4ns0ng

 


Re: NVDA is Growing up

Ron Canazzi
 

Hi Quentin,

Bible Seeker is very accessible with JAWS and NVDA.
If you download all the add ons (Bible versions) I believe there are 9 in total.


On 10/19/2020 10:10 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
I'm not familiar with the Biblesoft PC Study Bible.  Last time someone asked me about accessible Bible software though, I did collate this list from other conversations on the topic.  If anyone finds any of these useful (or any which are no longer accessible) or any others not listed here, do please let me know:

YouVersion bible: https://www.youversion.com/the-bible-app/  
Bible Gateway: https://www.biblegateway.com/
Bible Seeker: https://bible_seeker.en.downloadastro.com/ (apparently the search isn't very accessible though)
Theophilos: http://www.theophilos.com/
http://www.optasiaministry.org/
e-Sword: https://www.e-sword.net/ (possibly not completely accessible?)

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 12:23 AM Dave <dlh007@...> wrote:

The Program that NVDA does not read well is called PC Study Bible, made by Biblesoft.


It been around sine the late 1980's, and is still around today. 


NVDA reads a lot of things, but for some reason, does not read the window where the Text from the Bible and all other Reference Books are displayed. 


NVDA reads most other areas in the program better than Jaws, but these main display windows within this program, for what ever reason, are not read. 


It's been a while, but I think these windows can be read by using the Mouse, which doesn't help when trying to do any sort of research.


Grumpy Dave


On 10/18/2020 10:14 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

Thanks Dave!

Out of curiosity, what is the one program you use all the time which Jaws works better with?  Just so I can make sure we have issues captured on our issue tracker.  (If you'd like, you are most welcome to record any issues directly on https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 6:37 AM Dave <dlh007@...> wrote:
Yes, I too now use NVDA probably 80 percent of the time.  Still have
JAWS, and probably will have since the yearly upgrades are not super
expensive.


JAWS still reads one program I use all the time better than NVDA.


But to Write emails and do other things, I find NVDA works quite well.


I use Excel, and NVDA works better for me than JAWS.


Especially if you are creating Spread Sheets and writing Formulas.


NVDA has been on my System for a number of years now, mostly used in
case Window Eyes, or then Jaws might fail.  In the last year, I started
having issues with JAWS, and their Tech people couldn't figure out the
problem, so NVDA has become my Go To Screen Reader program for the daily
stuff.


I use the voice named David.


Grumpy Dave










--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


Re: Admin. the discussion about accessibility and other topics

Leedy Diane Bomar
 

I post infrequently, and will start threads even less often, now. I feel like unsubscribing to all lists, right now! How do you suggest that I reinstate my thread? There was some good discussion on the topic I wanted answers and support for. Moderators can easily delete messages without locking a thread. I feel very kicked in the face! Why bother trying to participate with others, be part of any group, when the "leader" just cuts off anything you might come out of your shell long enough to share! I live a very independent, though reclusive, life, and your actions, though unintentional, only encourage me to cut myself off from the world even more!

Diane Bomar

On Oct 19, 2020, at 20:39, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

there is no way to know on a list with a large number of members where a thread will go. {People read threads at different times and who knows what sort of responses and arguments might have developed even if I had just told people to stay on topic. I see it all the time. A list owner may tell people to stay on topic or try to control a potentially devisive thread and a lot of people respond anyway, not because they are being willfully disobedient, but because they haven't read all the messages in the thread yet and are replying as they go. Who knows how many people will reply to how many messages before they finally see my message. Who knows hours later, how many other people will do the same thing. At some point, the job of a list owner is to stop off topic and potentially divisive posts.

I said that anyone who wants may carry on the discussion on the chat list. A lot of list members don't join associated chat lists, but that is the best that can be done.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Leedy Diane Bomar
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 7:48 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Admin. the discussion about accessibility and other topics



Diane Bomar
On Oct 19, 2020, at 13:26, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

I should add that I would have locked the topic sooner but I wasn't following the list for a few hours.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gene via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 2:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Admin. the discussion about accessibility and other topics

this topic is taking a lot of time and space on the list. It has also moved
into areas such as politics. While a certain amount of discussion of
accessibility as an issue, and I even let a little politics slip in at rare
times if it is a very small part of a larger thread, keeps the list lively,
such wide ranging discussions easily become divisive and a lot of people
don't want to see so much traffic. I am therefore closing the topic.
Anyone who wishes may discuss this issue and pretty much anything else on
the chat list, the address for joining is provided in the footers of every
message.

Gene, owner








So, because people cannot stay on topic, I am now unable to reply to messages in that thread that were on topic? Somehow that doesn't seem fair to me the original poster. I have tried to reply and the mail bounces back. How can I communicate with others who were writing good responses to my thread? I have deleted the inappropriate responses that should have been put into another thread, or deleted from the list, and the individuals who cannot stay on topic should be reprimanded. Why is the author of the thread being penalized for the misdeeds of others?


Re: Admin. the discussion about accessibility and other topics

Gene
 

there is no way to know on a list with a large number of members where a thread will go. {People read threads at different times and who knows what sort of responses and arguments might have developed even if I had just told people to stay on topic. I see it all the time. A list owner may tell people to stay on topic or try to control a potentially devisive thread and a lot of people respond anyway, not because they are being willfully disobedient, but because they haven't read all the messages in the thread yet and are replying as they go. Who knows how many people will reply to how many messages before they finally see my message. Who knows hours later, how many other people will do the same thing. At some point, the job of a list owner is to stop off topic and potentially divisive posts.

I said that anyone who wants may carry on the discussion on the chat list. A lot of list members don't join associated chat lists, but that is the best that can be done.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Leedy Diane Bomar
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 7:48 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Admin. the discussion about accessibility and other topics



Diane Bomar
On Oct 19, 2020, at 13:26, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

I should add that I would have locked the topic sooner but I wasn't following the list for a few hours.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gene via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 2:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Admin. the discussion about accessibility and other topics

this topic is taking a lot of time and space on the list. It has also moved
into areas such as politics. While a certain amount of discussion of
accessibility as an issue, and I even let a little politics slip in at rare
times if it is a very small part of a larger thread, keeps the list lively,
such wide ranging discussions easily become divisive and a lot of people
don't want to see so much traffic. I am therefore closing the topic.
Anyone who wishes may discuss this issue and pretty much anything else on
the chat list, the address for joining is provided in the footers of every
message.

Gene, owner








So, because people cannot stay on topic, I am now unable to reply to messages in that thread that were on topic? Somehow that doesn't seem fair to me the original poster. I have tried to reply and the mail bounces back. How can I communicate with others who were writing good responses to my thread? I have deleted the inappropriate responses that should have been put into another thread, or deleted from the list, and the individuals who cannot stay on topic should be reprimanded. Why is the author of the thread being penalized for the misdeeds of others?


Re: NVDA is improved!

enes sarıbaş
 

Quentin,

another question. I know I might have asked this before, but are there plans to make NVDA natively 64 bit? Other screen readers produce 64 bit packages since 2009, and this would enable better performance on the majority of systems and  enable java support without importing the old accessible bridge DLL.

On 10/19/2020 9:18 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
No problem Ron!

If you prefer Jaws (overall or for some tasks) that's absolutely fine - I just wanted to try to find out if there was anything where NVDA was not working well that we could improve on.  Whether it is things another screenreader does better, or just something which doesn't work well in general.

Quentin.


On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 1:16 AM Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:
Hi Quenton,

I use Excel and Access for databases to a degree.  I have to use a lot of the screen review keystrokes and maneuvers to get to buttons and menus to initiate functions.
Maybe this is Office related, but that's what I experience.


On 10/19/2020 3:47 AM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Thanks everyone for your lovely comments.

Ron, out of curiosity, what does NVDA not work well with in Office?  There are a couple of isolated issues in PowerPoint and I'm not sure about Access, but otherwise, most of the issues in Office are issues with Office itself.

Enes,

Most times, when an issue takes a long time to be resolved, it is either because it is hard to reproduce, or hard to fix.  In some cases, problems only occur on particular hardware, or with certain other software (or versions of software) installed.  Unless an NVDA developer has that particular setup, it can sometimes be hard to diagnose.

NVDA does a number of things differently to other screenreaders.  In some cases, the end user wouldn't notice a difference .  In some cases, it has given NVDA an advantage - NVDA worked well with Windows 10 and the original Microsoft Edge, long before any other screenreader for instance.  In some cases, it goes the other way.  Something which a user might complain "just works" with another screenreader, simply can't be done in NVDA without a large amount of work.

In any case, I'm glad to hear it has improved in NVDA 2020.3!

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 5:55 AM enes sarıbaş <enes.saribas@...> wrote:
Ok what I am about to say  might make some folks angry but. Why did it
take so long  to fix NVDA and microsoft word lag issues? This has been
an issue ever since  I used Microsoft office,  with NVDA, and my tickets
that I opened about it, I was told it was just my computer and not the
fault of NVDA. Do I need a xeon or threadripper processor to run
microsoft word with NVDA?
On 10/18/2020 6:31 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> NVDA works great in Zoom, announces all the buttons and menus and so on.
>
> Ann P.
>







--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Re: Admin. the discussion about accessibility and other topics

Leedy Diane Bomar
 

message.

Gene, owner








So, because people cannot stay on topic, I am now unable to reply to messages in that thread that were on topic? Somehow that doesn't seem fair to me the original poster. I have tried to reply and the mail bounces back. How can I communicate with others who were writing good responses to my thread? I have deleted the inappropriate responses that should have been put into another thread, or deleted from the list, and the individuals who cannot stay on topic should be reprimanded. Why is the author of the thread being penalized for the misdeeds of others?



Diane Bomar

On Oct 19, 2020, at 13:26, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

I should add that I would have locked the topic sooner but I wasn't following the list for a few hours.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gene via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 2:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Admin. the discussion about accessibility and other topics

this topic is taking a lot of time and space on the list. It has also moved
into areas such as politics. While a certain amount of discussion of
accessibility as an issue, and I even let a little politics slip in at rare
times if it is a very small part of a larger thread, keeps the list lively,
such wide ranging discussions easily become divisive and a lot of people
don't want to see so much traffic. I am therefore closing the topic.
Anyone who wishes may discuss this issue and pretty much anything else on
the chat list, the address for joining is provided in the footers of every
message.

Gene, owner


Re: NVDA is improved!

Quentin Christensen
 

No problem Ron!

If you prefer Jaws (overall or for some tasks) that's absolutely fine - I just wanted to try to find out if there was anything where NVDA was not working well that we could improve on.  Whether it is things another screenreader does better, or just something which doesn't work well in general.

Quentin.


On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 1:16 AM Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:
Hi Quenton,

I use Excel and Access for databases to a degree.  I have to use a lot of the screen review keystrokes and maneuvers to get to buttons and menus to initiate functions.
Maybe this is Office related, but that's what I experience.


On 10/19/2020 3:47 AM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Thanks everyone for your lovely comments.

Ron, out of curiosity, what does NVDA not work well with in Office?  There are a couple of isolated issues in PowerPoint and I'm not sure about Access, but otherwise, most of the issues in Office are issues with Office itself.

Enes,

Most times, when an issue takes a long time to be resolved, it is either because it is hard to reproduce, or hard to fix.  In some cases, problems only occur on particular hardware, or with certain other software (or versions of software) installed.  Unless an NVDA developer has that particular setup, it can sometimes be hard to diagnose.

NVDA does a number of things differently to other screenreaders.  In some cases, the end user wouldn't notice a difference .  In some cases, it has given NVDA an advantage - NVDA worked well with Windows 10 and the original Microsoft Edge, long before any other screenreader for instance.  In some cases, it goes the other way.  Something which a user might complain "just works" with another screenreader, simply can't be done in NVDA without a large amount of work.

In any case, I'm glad to hear it has improved in NVDA 2020.3!

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 5:55 AM enes sarıbaş <enes.saribas@...> wrote:
Ok what I am about to say  might make some folks angry but. Why did it
take so long  to fix NVDA and microsoft word lag issues? This has been
an issue ever since  I used Microsoft office,  with NVDA, and my tickets
that I opened about it, I was told it was just my computer and not the
fault of NVDA. Do I need a xeon or threadripper processor to run
microsoft word with NVDA?
On 10/18/2020 6:31 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> NVDA works great in Zoom, announces all the buttons and menus and so on.
>
> Ann P.
>







--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Re: NVDA is Growing up

Quentin Christensen
 

I'm not familiar with the Biblesoft PC Study Bible.  Last time someone asked me about accessible Bible software though, I did collate this list from other conversations on the topic.  If anyone finds any of these useful (or any which are no longer accessible) or any others not listed here, do please let me know:

YouVersion bible: https://www.youversion.com/the-bible-app/  
Bible Gateway: https://www.biblegateway.com/
Bible Seeker: https://bible_seeker.en.downloadastro.com/ (apparently the search isn't very accessible though)
Theophilos: http://www.theophilos.com/
http://www.optasiaministry.org/
e-Sword: https://www.e-sword.net/ (possibly not completely accessible?)

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 12:23 AM Dave <dlh007@...> wrote:

The Program that NVDA does not read well is called PC Study Bible, made by Biblesoft.


It been around sine the late 1980's, and is still around today. 


NVDA reads a lot of things, but for some reason, does not read the window where the Text from the Bible and all other Reference Books are displayed. 


NVDA reads most other areas in the program better than Jaws, but these main display windows within this program, for what ever reason, are not read. 


It's been a while, but I think these windows can be read by using the Mouse, which doesn't help when trying to do any sort of research.


Grumpy Dave


On 10/18/2020 10:14 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

Thanks Dave!

Out of curiosity, what is the one program you use all the time which Jaws works better with?  Just so I can make sure we have issues captured on our issue tracker.  (If you'd like, you are most welcome to record any issues directly on https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 6:37 AM Dave <dlh007@...> wrote:
Yes, I too now use NVDA probably 80 percent of the time.  Still have
JAWS, and probably will have since the yearly upgrades are not super
expensive.


JAWS still reads one program I use all the time better than NVDA.


But to Write emails and do other things, I find NVDA works quite well.


I use Excel, and NVDA works better for me than JAWS.


Especially if you are creating Spread Sheets and writing Formulas.


NVDA has been on my System for a number of years now, mostly used in
case Window Eyes, or then Jaws might fail.  In the last year, I started
having issues with JAWS, and their Tech people couldn't figure out the
problem, so NVDA has become my Go To Screen Reader program for the daily
stuff.


I use the voice named David.


Grumpy Dave










--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Uploading files to Facebook

Sharon S
 

Hi all, I am a leader of a scout group. The group has a Facebook page which all the families are subscribed to. I have put together a program for the term for my group and now I need to put it up on the Facebook page. I am using the classic Facebook page which was suggested here and using internet Explorer. I know I should be using another browser but I am trying to get this computer ready to give to my mum so don’t want to put new programs on it at the moment. I have been able to write a message and post it to the group but I can’t find a way to upload files. I tried using the photo option and when I went to brows I chose all file types, then I navigated to the file I want to upload and hit enter. The box closed but then the Facebook page said it wasn’t a recognised format. Is there something I am missing? Or do I need to just copy the whole document and paste it into the message box?

 

Hoping someone can help.

 

I’m using Jaws 2020 and windows 10.

 

Thanks.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

 


Re: Admin. the discussion about accessibility and other topics

Leedy Diane Bomar
 

Diane Bomar

On Oct 19, 2020, at 13:26, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

I should add that I would have locked the topic sooner but I wasn't following the list for a few hours.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gene via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 2:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Admin. the discussion about accessibility and other topics

this topic is taking a lot of time and space on the list. It has also moved
into areas such as politics. While a certain amount of discussion of
accessibility as an issue, and I even let a little politics slip in at rare
times if it is a very small part of a larger thread, keeps the list lively,
such wide ranging discussions easily become divisive and a lot of people
don't want to see so much traffic. I am therefore closing the topic.
Anyone who wishes may discuss this issue and pretty much anything else on
the chat list, the address for joining is provided in the footers of every
message.

Gene, owner








So, because people cannot stay on topic, I am now unable to reply to messages in that thread that were on topic? Somehow that doesn't seem fair to me the original poster. I have tried to reply and the mail bounces back. How can I communicate with others who were writing good responses to my thread? I have deleted the inappropriate responses that should have been put into another thread, or deleted from the list, and the individuals who cannot stay on topic should be reprimanded. Why is the author of the thread being penalized for the misdeeds of others?


Re: OE classic.

Gene
 

Oe Classic now supports IMAP.

gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Abbie Taylor
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 6:26 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] OE classic.

The only thing I know about OE Classic is this. When I tried it a few years ago, I discovered that it's not compatible with IMAP. So, if you want to be able to sync your email across devices, you're better off with Outlook, Thunderbird, or a web-based program like Gmail.
--



Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author https://abbiescorner.wordpress.com

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@gmail.com



Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE


Re: OE classic.

Abbie Taylor
 

The only thing I know about OE Classic is this. When I tried it a few years ago, I discovered that it's not compatible with IMAP. So, if you want to be able to sync your email across devices, you're better off with Outlook, Thunderbird, or a web-based program like Gmail. 
--


Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author https://abbiescorner.wordpress.com

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

 


Re: google home number

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 06:47 PM, Gene wrote:
Searching is not an expectation on the blindness lists I am on in general.
-
Which, in my opinion, is a huge problem.  Huge.

That being said, any group/list owner should run their group/list as they see fit.  I was simply pointing out that expectations are changing in some venues.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

        ~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com


Re: google home number

Gene
 

I disagree and I make no expectation that list members to check archives first. those who wish to do so are, of course, welcome to do so and the archives are an important resource, in part because if someone asks a question using Google or a search engine, results from this and a lot of other lists may show up in the results. While I think it is a good idea for people to learn how to use list archives, making it at all an expectation is, I believe a mistake on general lists like this where people of all skill levels and abilities participate.
Aside from possibly detouring some members from asking questions, some repetition may be useful as other members may learn things they didn't know and didn't know even to ask about.

Searching is not an expectation on the blindness lists I am on in general.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 5:00 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] google home number

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 04:51 PM, chris judge wrote:
Anyone sitting behind a keyboard doing what we’re doing is capable of conducting a google search, and if they’re not we should be helping them learn how to help themselves, not handing everything out on a silver platter.-
Indeed. And this is why "strong recommendations" have been added to the NVDA and Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users group rules regarding same.

I have tutorials I need to update about searching the group archives since Groups.io has made the results page much more easily navigable than it once was. But the ability to do a web search and review the results is a basic, very basic, skill of computer use. It's not unreasonable when certain questions are asked that everyone reading knows have been asked and answered untold thousands of times that many have the reaction, "You need to try web searching before imposing on the time of many other people by asking on a group." And if you don't know how, then asking about how to do that should be the first order of business, and there are many on all these groups willing and able to assist you in acquiring that skill.

And I note, again, that I didn't even do that. I gave a direct link to the Google Accessibility contact page, which gives all the methods one can use to contact them, including by phone. It is odd, at least to me, that they actually give a phone number right on the page for TDD users but make those who are blind jump through a couple of hoops before you eventually get to the phone number. I guess they hope that you might encounter an answer, or decide to use Be My Eyes/Chat/etc., during one of those hoops before you get the phone number.

--


Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com


Re: Admin. the discussion about accessibility and other topics

Victor
 

Hi Jean:

Thank you for your message about the purpose of this list. I hope we can stick to accessibility and technology related issues here as this is why I joined this list in the first place.

Thanks,

Victor

On Oct 19, 2020, at 2:02 PM, Marie <magpie.mn@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks!

-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 12:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Admin. the discussion about accessibility and other topics

this topic is taking a lot of time and space on the list. It has also moved
into areas such as politics. While a certain amount of discussion of
accessibility as an issue, and I even let a little politics slip in at rare
times if it is a very small part of a larger thread, keeps the list lively,
such wide ranging discussions easily become divisive and a lot of people
don't want to see so much traffic. I am therefore closing the topic.
Anyone who wishes may discuss this issue and pretty much anything else on
the chat list, the address for joining is provided in the footers of every
message.

Gene, owner











Re: google home number

heather albright
 

Sorry to bother the group. It used to be on the google home site and there was a google home accessibility number. If memory serves one was for the USA and the other was for Australia, not sure why I remember that.  But I was searching for it for a few days. I first got it from the national federation of the blind of Texas  Austin chapter. They had sent it out so anyone who needed it would have it. But, that was a couple of years ago! No worries; some on this list sent the e-mail to contact them instead.  My family and I are having some major health issues lately so my brain is not exactly not always working full steam ahead. Heather

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Gerald Levy via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 11:50 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] google home number

 

 

That's because Google does not have a dedicated phone helpline for disabled customers.

 

Gerald

 

 

On 10/19/2020 12:46 PM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:

Yes, but you didn’t give anybody the number.  Pam.

 

Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 12:39 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] google home number

 

Contact the Google Disability Support Team
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

        ~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com

 

AVG logo

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com



 


Re: google home number

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 04:51 PM, chris judge wrote:
Anyone sitting behind a keyboard doing what we’re doing is capable of conducting a google search, and if they’re not we should be helping them learn how to help themselves, not handing everything out on a silver platter.
-
Indeed.  And this is why "strong recommendations" have been added to the NVDA and Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users group rules regarding same.

I have tutorials I need to update about searching the group archives since Groups.io has made the results page much more easily navigable than it once was.  But the ability to do a web search and review the results is a basic, very basic, skill of computer use.  It's not unreasonable when certain questions are asked that everyone reading knows have been asked and answered untold thousands of times that many have the reaction, "You need to try web searching before imposing on the time of many other people by asking on a group."  And if you don't know how, then asking about how to do that should be the first order of business, and there are many on all these groups willing and able to assist you in acquiring that skill.

And I note, again, that I didn't even do that.  I gave a direct link to the Google Accessibility contact page, which gives all the methods one can use to contact them, including by phone.  It is odd, at least to me, that they actually give a phone number right on the page for TDD users but make those who are blind jump through a couple of hoops before you eventually get to the phone number.  I guess they hope that you might encounter an answer, or decide to use Be My Eyes/Chat/etc., during one of those hoops before you get the phone number.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

        ~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com


Re: Has anyone ever downloaded podcasts with Book Port Plus

Bryan Hagenau
 

I bet it's the second part the technology is to old in the book port plus.  I did it a while back and it worked. 

On 10/18/2020 12:52 AM, Steven Johnson wrote:

I have a Book Port Plus connected to my wifi.  I am trying to access podcasts from the BPP’s list of podcasts.  The unit will update the episodes list on some of the feeds, but either tells me that download failed, or the file type of the episode is unsupported.  Have any of you ever gotten to listen to podcasts on the BPP.  If so, how long has it been since you did so?  I’m trying to figure out if something is wrong with the unit, or if its technology is not compatible with modern podcast feeds.


Re: google home number

chris judge
 

You bet ya.

Chris Judge

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rob
Hudson
Sent: October 19, 2020 6:02 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] google home number

You mean, teach him how to fish and he'll sit out in his boat drinking beer
all day.
Grin.
----- Original Message -----
From: "chris judge" <chrisjudge1967@gmail.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 17:50:57 -0300
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] google home number

It really isn't though. Anyone sitting behind a keyboard doing what we're
doing is capable of conducting a google search, and if they're not we should
be helping them learn how to help themselves, not handing everything out on
a silver platter.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you
feed him for life, and all that.



Chris Judge

<http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>



From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Gerald Levy via groups.io
Sent: October 19, 2020 3:06 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] google home number





As usual, your response is arrogant and condescending. You accused me
earlier of being "nasty", for which I apologize. But telling a fellow list
member to esentially go "look it up herself" is equally as nasty. If she
could find the phone number herself, she wouldn't be asking for help on this
list in the first place. Try to be a little more patient and understanding
with fellow blind list members who may not beas as adept as you at searching
the web for information before you post a response. .



Gerald





On 10/19/2020 12:57 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 12:46 PM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:

Yes, but you didn't give anybody the number.

-
Because I expect that adults will go to that page, and search on "Phone."
We're not children here. There are also other contact options that may not
have been considered that are available there.

You can't always get what you want, but you certainly got what you needed
if you're willing to spend two freakin' seconds to review Google's own
source material. Do so.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they
rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com









7061 - 7080 of 100671