OCR Scanner

Allen West

Hi All,

I work at a place that has a fair amount of blind residents that
cannot use smart phones or OpenBook. We are looking for a stand along
OCR scanner. Are they still made? If so, can someone tell me who sells
them?

Thanks in Advance

Allen

Ann Parsons

Evening,

Well Alan, a couple of questions: one, what do you want to do with this scanner?; two, how much money do you want to spend?

If you just want it for reading the occasional mail or church bulletin or whatever, a small epson scanner for under an hundred dollars will do. On the other hand, if you want to do heavy scanning of books and so on, you will want to spend the $250.00 for a Plustek Book Edge Scanner.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

Do a Google search for stand alone reading machines.  The only one I know about is the Pearl, made by whatever the name of Freedom Scientific is now.  I think it's VFO.

But the pearl and I would think other such machines, are ridiculously expensive. I believe the pearl is more than twice as much as you would pay for a reading program like Openbook, the computer and scanner.  It is so simple to operate a program like Openbook or Kurzweil if you are just scanning and reading that I think the subject should be discussed of why these people can't use a computer and a reading program where the computer is set to automatically boot into the reading program.  I see no meaningful difference in difficulty between that and using a stand alone machine.  The only problem I can see that might be worth considering is whether reading machine programs crash at all often these days.  I don't do enough scanning with new versions on computers running newer versions of windows to know.  Aside from that question, I don't see any other problems.

I work at a place that has a fair amount of blind residents that
cannot use smart phones or OpenBook. We are looking for a stand along
OCR scanner. Are they still made? If so, can someone tell me who sells
them?

Thanks in Advance

Allen

Gene

The question is about stand alone reading machines, whatever the terminology used is.

Gene

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Allen West

The agency has the Pearl already. The Pearl only works with OpenBook
or JAWS 2018. Some of the residents find usingn OpenBook to be too
complicated. We are looking for a OCR scanner where someone can place
a paper on top, close the lid and press a button and have it read.

Allen
2/4/18, Allen West <alwest0324@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,

I work at a place that has a fair amount of blind residents that
cannot use smart phones or OpenBook. We are looking for a stand along
OCR scanner. Are they still made? If so, can someone tell me who sells
them?

Thanks in Advance

Allen

Michael Boyd <mike122061@...>

Hi,

Freedom Scientific has a couple of different models, such as the Sara.

Michael