From: Lynn White [mailto:lynnwhite360@radioforlife.info]
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 3:29 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Going Back To Windows 7

I have the disc that has the image of Windows 7 that came with my machine.

I have Windows 10 and am not able to roll back to Windows 7. So, using the disc image, would it be possible to reformat the computer and have Windows 7?

I thought that I read that you can't do this. Thanks for any reply.

Carlos

Of course you can. If it is a restore disc, then it should restore the machine to factory defaults. However, if it is simply a standard Windows 7 installation disc, you will need your product key. If you don't have your product key, it should be somewhere on the machine on the COA key sticker.

I have the disc that has the image of Windows 7 that came with my machine.

I have Windows 10 and am not able to roll back to Windows 7. So, using the disc image, would it be possible to reformat the computer and have Windows 7?

I thought that I read that you can't do this. Thanks for any reply.

Dennis Long <dennisl1982@...>

Another reason not to upgrade.

You can dual boot and have both W10 and W7 on the same computer! This is what I am dual booted.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

I have the disc that has the image of Windows 7 that came with my machine.

I have Windows 10 and am not able to roll back to Windows 7. So, using the disc image, would it be possible to reformat the computer and have Windows 7?

I thought that I read that you can't do this. Thanks for any reply.

Carlos

Matt, while a dual boot configuration is useful, you should keep in mind that it is probably beyond most member's technical capabilities to set up conveniently without assistance.

You can dual boot and have both W10 and W7 on the same computer! This is what I am dual booted.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

I have the disc that has the image of Windows 7 that came with my machine.

I have Windows 10 and am not able to roll back to Windows 7. So, using the disc image, would it be possible to reformat the computer and have Windows 7?

I thought that I read that you can't do this. Thanks for any reply.

Matt

No in about 4 years W7 is not going to be supported for at least the consumer side and then you will have to pay for W10 ! if you dual boot then you don't have to do that. You can set W7 as your default OS so you don't have to choose one . Why pay for something when you don't have to!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

You can dual boot and have both W10 and W7 on the same computer! This is what I am dual booted.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

I have the disc that has the image of Windows 7 that came with my machine.

I have Windows 10 and am not able to roll back to Windows 7. So, using the disc image, would it be possible to reformat the computer and have Windows 7?

I thought that I read that you can't do this. Thanks for any reply.

Matt

Yes understand that was just putting the option out there.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

Matt, while a dual boot configuration is useful, you should keep in mind that it is probably beyond most member's technical capabilities to set up conveniently without assistance.
You can dual boot and have both W10 and W7 on the same computer! This is what I am dual booted.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

I have the disc that has the image of Windows 7 that came with my machine.

I have Windows 10 and am not able to roll back to Windows 7. So, using the
disc image, would it be possible to reformat the computer and have Windows
7?

I thought that I read that you can't do this. Thanks for any reply.

Dennis Long <dennisl1982@...>

I have 0 interest in win10 and won't have interest in it in 4 years either.

No in about 4 years W7 is not going to be supported for at least the consumer side and then you will have to pay for W10 ! if you dual boot then you don't have to do that. You can set W7 as your default OS so you don't have to choose one . Why pay for something when you don't have to!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

You can dual boot and have both W10 and W7 on the same computer! This is what I am dual booted.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

I have the disc that has the image of Windows 7 that came with my machine.

I have Windows 10 and am not able to roll back to Windows 7. So, using the disc image, would it be possible to reformat the computer and have Windows 7?

I thought that I read that you can't do this. Thanks for any reply.

Carlos

Yes, but if you have upgraded the machine to Windows 10 at least once, you will not have to pay for it even if you decide to downgrade and then reinstall 10 at a later time.

No in about 4 years W7 is not going to be supported for at least the consumer side and then you will have to pay for W10 ! if you dual boot then you don't have to do that. You can set W7 as your default OS so you don't have to choose one . Why pay for something when you don't have to!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

You can dual boot and have both W10 and W7 on the same computer! This is what I am dual booted.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

I have the disc that has the image of Windows 7 that came with my machine.

I have Windows 10 and am not able to roll back to Windows 7. So, using the disc image, would it be possible to reformat the computer and have Windows 7?

I thought that I read that you can't do this. Thanks for any reply.

Carlos

But in 4 years short of switching to another operating system, you may not have much of a choice after they end support for Windows 7. Of course this does not mean you won't be able to continue using 7 for some time after that point, but like Windows XP, it will become less and less secure as Microsoft stops providing updates.

I have 0 interest in win10 and won't have interest in it in 4 years either.

No in about 4 years W7 is not going to be supported for at least the consumer side and then you will have to pay for W10 ! if you dual boot then you don't have to do that. You can set W7 as your default OS so you don't have to choose one . Why pay for something when you don't have to!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

You can dual boot and have both W10 and W7 on the same computer! This is what I am dual booted.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

I have the disc that has the image of Windows 7 that came with my machine.

I have Windows 10 and am not able to roll back to Windows 7. So, using the disc image, would it be possible to reformat the computer and have Windows 7?

I thought that I read that you can't do this. Thanks for any reply.

Matt

At some point we all will have to as W7 will become like XP and versions before it. not just MS will stop supporting it other places and things will. I suspect at some point FS will stop support as well as WE and even NVDA not talking about other software companies and other sites and so on and hardware like printers and such. At some point you will have to move on. Even IE will go away at some point for the browser Edge. Sticking your head in the sand is not going to make the problem go away! I don't see W10 going anywhere any time soon but I do see W7 and versions before it going away!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

I have 0 interest in win10 and won't have interest in it in 4 years either.

No in about 4 years W7 is not going to be supported for at least the consumer side and then you will have to pay for W10 ! if you dual boot then you don't have to do that. You can set W7 as your default OS so you don't have to choose one . Why pay for something when you don't have to!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

You can dual boot and have both W10 and W7 on the same computer! This is what I am dual booted.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

I have the disc that has the image of Windows 7 that came with my machine.

I have Windows 10 and am not able to roll back to Windows 7. So, using the disc image, would it be possible to reformat the computer and have Windows 7?

I thought that I read that you can't do this. Thanks for any reply.

Matt

Plus other things will not support it like other software and hardware. Technology does not stand still for no one.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

[...]

Windows 10 is most definitely not going anywhere since Microsoft has announced that it will be the last version of Windows. After this point, future versions of Windows will simply be incremental updates to Windows 10.

[...]

Indeed. I honestly dislike Windows 10 enough that I'm not sure what I will be doing myself in 4 years. Switching to Linux is a possibility, but I dislike that idea as well for reasons I have discussed in the past. Finding satisfactory equivalents of all my software and so on.

Rob <captinlogic@...>

Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
Indeed. I honestly dislike Windows 10 enough that I'm not sure what I will
be doing myself in 4 years.
What do you personally dislike about windows 10?

Carlos

LOL um no. Linux will always be my first choice before anything Apple.

[...]

Hmm, don't get me started. How about security concerns, forced updates, but especially forced driver updates, unnecessary changes to the interface, and so on.

Indeed. I honestly dislike Windows 10 enough that I'm not sure what I will
be doing myself in 4 years.
What do you personally dislike about windows 10?

Carlos

Sorry, to be fair I should have said privacy concerns, not security concerns which is not necessarily the same thing.

Hmm, don't get me started. How about security concerns, forced updates, but especially forced driver updates, unnecessary changes to the interface, and so on.
Indeed. I honestly dislike Windows 10 enough that I'm not sure what I will
be doing myself in 4 years.
What do you personally dislike about windows 10?

Rob <captinlogic@...>

Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
Hmm, don't get me started. How about security concerns, forced updates, but
especially forced driver updates, unnecessary changes to the interface, and
so on.
Isn't there like ten pages of privacy settings in the windows set up?
And I think home premium or whatever they are calling it now offers the option to turn off forced updates.