From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Keith S
Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:09 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] white cane stores

Looking to purchase a new aluminum white cane.  Any good stores to purchase from with good pricing?

Thanks

keith

Hi Keith,
I know NFP has a free Kane program that you can probably get into if you log onto NFB.org.

On Feb 10, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@...> wrote:

Looking to purchase a new aluminum white cane.  Any good stores to purchase from with good pricing?

Thanks

keith

Pamela Dominguez

Yes.  But he seemed to specify aluminum canes.  They are not aluminum.  I don’t know why he specifically wants aluminum, but there could be a lot of reasons.  Pam.

Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:53 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] white cane stores

Hi Keith,
I know NFP has a free Kane program that you can probably get into if you log onto NFB.org.

On Feb 10, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@...> wrote:

Looking to purchase a new aluminum white cane.  Any good stores to purchase from with good pricing?

Thanks

keith

I don't know either.  Fiberglass or carbon fiber canes, if properly made, are lighter and stronger.  If pressure is put on them they bend without their shape being permanently distorted, they immediately return to there original shape.  Of course, you could put so much pressure on the cane that it would break but that would be a lot of pressure, far more than should occur in normal use.

Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:53 PM

Hi Keith,
I know NFP has a free Kane program that you can probably get into if you log onto NFB.org.

On Feb 10, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@...> wrote:

Looking to purchase a new aluminum white cane.  Any good stores to purchase from with good pricing?

Thanks

keith

Jeffrey Schwartz

I had a telescoping fiberglass  cane which seemed like a luxury.  It was light and with the telescoping closure, It fit nicely in my back pocket .  One day I went to close it by tapping it on  the ground.  It fell apart.

Jeff

Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 11:55 AM

Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:53 PM

Hi Keith,
I know NFP has a free Kane program that you can probably get into if you log onto NFB.org.

On Feb 10, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@...> wrote:

Looking to purchase a new aluminum white cane.  Any good stores to purchase from with good pricing?

Thanks

keith

Pamela Dominguez

It depends.  The carbon fiber canes were not supposed to break, but the NFB ones, anyway, do break.  People don’t look where they are going and they trip over it and it goes crunch!  Pam.

Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:53 PM

Hi Keith,
I know NFP has a free Kane program that you can probably get into if you log onto NFB.org.

On Feb 10, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@...> wrote:

Looking to purchase a new aluminum white cane.  Any good stores to purchase from with good pricing?

Thanks

keith

Michael Boyd <mike122061@...>

I purchase my blindness related products almost exclusively from The Braille Superstore: (www.futureaids.com). They typically have a little better price than other retailers and the shipping is free for orders over $10. Most orders arrive in about 7 days. They carry the Ambutech canes of all lenths.

Michael

Looking to purchase a new aluminum white cane.  Any good stores to purchase from with good pricing?

Thanks

keith

Gene

Those canes aren't meant for general use.  they are meant for use where you are, for example, with a sighted person and may use the cane for going somewhere without sighted help such as a short distance in a building or an outdoor environment.  Regular fiberglass canes are very sturdy.  I've had fiberglass canes that have lasted for years.  I have a carbon fiber folding cane that has lasted for years.  I don't fold it often so the elastic remains in good condition and the cane itself is strong and sturdy.

Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:23 PM

Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 11:55 AM

Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:53 PM

Hi Keith,
I know NFP has a free Kane program that you can probably get into if you log onto NFB.org.

On Feb 10, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@...> wrote:

Looking to purchase a new aluminum white cane.  Any good stores to purchase from with good pricing?

Thanks

keith

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

You can get canes from Ambutech, you can google them. Also the Braille Super Store sells them.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gary Ketler

I have an Ambutech straight cane. It is heavy. I sure miss the old Rainshine
canes.

You can get canes from Ambutech, you can google them. Also the Braille
Super Store sells them.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Pamela Dominguez

All my carbon fiber canes were the telescopic kind.  I would never buy a straight one you couldn’t do anything with.  I always called those things fishing poles.  Now, I have a folding thing that seems to be a combination of some kind of carbon fiber with metal joints.  It has a rolling ball tip.  I didn’t get that one from NFB, though.  I got it from Visions in New York City.  I only tell you this so that I don’t sound snooty, not telling you where it came from.  But I don’t know if they do mail order.  Pam.

Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 1:23 PM

Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 11:55 AM

Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:53 PM

Hi Keith,
I know NFP has a free Kane program that you can probably get into if you log onto NFB.org.

On Feb 10, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@...> wrote:

Looking to purchase a new aluminum white cane.  Any good stores to purchase from with good pricing?

Thanks

keith

Gary Ketler

I use a straight cane when I am walking a long way. If I'm going from the car to the door or walking a short distance I use a folding cane.

[...]

I’ve been afraid to buy from them, since I have heard so many stories about people not being able to return something if it’s bad, or if they get sent something other than what they wanted.  At this point until I find out otherwise, I figure it’s better safe than sorry.  Pam.

Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 1:31 PM

I purchase my blindness related products almost exclusively from The Braille Superstore: (www.futureaids.com). They typically have a little better price than other retailers and the shipping is free for orders over $10. Most orders arrive in about 7 days. They carry the Ambutech canes of all lenths.

Michael

Looking to purchase a new aluminum white cane.  Any good stores to purchase from with good pricing?

Thanks

keith

Keith S

in regards to the NFB and the free cane, do I join the NFB?  Is there a fee to join if there is a fee?

Thanks

Keith

I buy my blindness supplies from Maxi Aids outside Manhattan.  You can google them for a phone number or their catalogue which is online.  The folks who answer the phone are very helpful.  Another is L,S and S group.  The NFB will give you a free one every year.  They are pretty good.

Jeff

Looking to purchase a new aluminum white cane.  Any good stores to purchase from with good pricing?

Thanks

keith

Yes I believe you would have to join. I don’t believe that there is a fee.

On Feb 11, 2018, at 12:55 AM, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@...> wrote:

in regards to the NFB and the free cane, do I join the NFB?  Is there a fee to join if there is a fee?

Thanks

Keith
I buy my blindness supplies from Maxi Aids outside Manhattan.  You can google them for a phone number or their catalogue which is online.  The folks who answer the phone are very helpful.  Another is L,S and S group.  The NFB will give you a free one every year.  They are pretty good.

Jeff

Looking to purchase a new aluminum white cane.  Any good stores to purchase from with good pricing?

Thanks

keith

Gerald Levy

No, you do not have to join the NFB to request a free white cane, and anyone who claims otherwise is mistaken. Just visit the following web site and fill out the online form.  Be sure to select the correct length of cane you need.  In a few days, you will be sent a rigid, fiberglass white cane, completely free of charge with no strings attached.  And you will not be pressured to join the NFB.  You can request a new cane free of charge every six months.

Gerald

in regards to the NFB and the free cane, do I join the NFB?  Is there a fee to join if there is a fee?

Thanks

Keith
I buy my blindness supplies from Maxi Aids outside Manhattan.  You can google them for a phone number or their catalogue which is online.  The folks who answer the phone are very helpful.  Another is L,S and S group.  The NFB will give you a free one every year.  They are pretty good.

Jeff

Looking to purchase a new aluminum white cane.  Any good stores to purchase from with good pricing?

Thanks

keith

Pamela Dominguez

To Join, you have to pay dues.  But I don’t think you have to be a member to get a free cane.  But the free canes are only of one kind, as far as I know: the straight fiberglass ones.  Pam.