From: Beth [mailto:thebluesisloose@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2015 7:41 AM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] tech memories

I wrote an introduction in which I got the memories of Apple and Echo synthesis, but what about those of you who remember Napster? Who remembers any of the old MP3 players from the past?
Now, I was wondering who would be privy to a book review? This is a book review on a technological subject: the MP3 and music revolution. We all love music, I"m sure, around here. So this book is available on Bard, so if you have a patronage with the Talking Book service in the NLS program, you can access this audio book. I found myself fascinated by this book, and someone mentioned Philips. Yes, they're famous for shavers, funny Gerald mentioned that. Anyway Philips was indeed a conglomerate and they tried to harness what two German engineers invented, forcing them to use a certain filtering bay. But this book covers an entire history behind MP3 piracy, which I would have been a victim of thanks to the RIAA, if Project Hubcap had been going on longer than it did. I'm a confessed downloader of music, but I absolutely can't afford music files from iTunes, and have been yelled at. By none other than Dad, so unfortunately, piracy in its weirdest form seems to have been the only way I can stream music. Also, this book covers what Spotify and other subscriptions do, and we meet a lot of people who have shaped the music industry as we know it today. Thank God, we don't need CD's and yeah, it gets better. It was an older executive called Doug Morris who came up with ideas for bringing in more revenue for music artists. Anyhow, I would recommend this book to any piracy or any music enthusiasts out there.
Enjoy if you dare,
Beth

--
Beth Taurasi, Windows 10 edition,
Cell: 720-435-7407

Christina Stolze

Beth,
I am sorry but I didn't catch the name of the book. Can you please tell me the name of the book you are talking about in this email?
Best Regards,
Christina

[...]

Juanita Martin <jordmartin@...>

You might want to wait till this evening to try to download from Bard. It's down for maintenance until then.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 30, 2015, at 7:05 AM, Christina Stolze <christinastolze@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

The book is titled, How Music Got Free by Steven Witt. I can't remember how to spell the author's last name, but the title keywords you should be able to search for anywhere, including the Bard site. Note to Bard users: the site is being maintained at the moment, so is shut down for the weekend. So when it comes back up, feel free to look How Music Got Free up.

On 8/30/2015 6:05 AM, Christina Stolze wrote:
[...]

I was gonna say that. Bard is down for maintenance, and I wish they wouldn't do that because that puts whoever's shopping for books at a disadvantage. Ugh.

On 8/30/2015 7:01 AM, Juanita Martin wrote:
[...]

Thank you for clarifying the title. I will check it out sometime this week after they are finished doing what they are doing. Have a great day.
Christina

[...]

Curtis Delzer

Sure, remember napstar, :) and still have some of the stuff I got from
it. :)
My first *.mp3 player portable was one I got from the NLS, when they
were sending MP3 players for those of us who would check out their new
web site and download their brand new *.3gp files which they finally
agreed upon which would be the most economy for the buck. Originally
there were going to use 32K *.mp3 files, but changed when they got the
license and rights to that 3GP format.etc.
It is a great format for the quality it does have for very low bit rates.
by the way, nice to be here from very hot California.
-----
Curtis Delzer, HS.
K6VFO
San Bernardino, CA

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 05:41:28 -0600
"Beth" <thebluesisloose@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Carlos

Hi Curtis,
Welcome to the list. And New York summers are more than hot enough for me LOL.

[...]

Oh no, California is so hot and hip ... don't ask. lol I see you on another list.

Beth Taurasi, Windows 10 edition,
Cell: 720-435-7407
Skype: denverqueen0920
Ms_denverqueen on Twitter
Instagram: denverqueen0920Yeah, Napster was weird. But yeah, people file share all the time, but I don't have the income to buy all those iTunes songs. Ugh. Rich people can buy all that music, but that's because they're rich. So yeah.
Beth Facebook: www.facebook.com/denverqueen0920

On 8/30/2015 10:49 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:
[...]

Chris G <jedikent@...>

Anyone remember the digasette?
This was an mp3 player shaped like an audio cassette. You could insert
it in a cassette player press play and play your mp3 files that way.
They ahd one that you could record with by pressing the record button on
your tape player so you could record from the radio or other tapes.

You could also connect ear phones to it.
It had a whole 64mb of internal storage and could accept up to 128mb
media cards.

Chris Grabowski
Mystic Access
Where the magic is in learning.
http://www.MysticAccess.com

Check out our eclectic and comprehensive assistive technology podcasts at:
http://www.MysticAccessPodcast.com

Contact:

Phone: (716) 543-3323
Direct Line: (716) 670-1221
Facebook: mysticaccessempower
Twitter: MysticAccess
733 Delaware Rd 341
Buffalo, NY 14223

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 21:49:05 -0700
"Curtis Delzer" <curtis@calweb.com> wrote:

[...]

Haha I remember those. One of those weird little gadgets which was produced in the transitional phase from analogue to digital.

[...]

It was one of the ways I used to listen to audible.com as well as the
original bookport and bookcourier devices.

Chris Grabowski
Mystic Access
Where the magic is in learning.
http://www.MysticAccess.com

Check out our eclectic and comprehensive assistive technology podcasts at:
http://www.MysticAccessPodcast.com

Contact:

Phone: (716) 543-3323
Direct Line: (716) 670-1221
Facebook: mysticaccessempower
Twitter: MysticAccess
733 Delaware Rd 341
Buffalo, NY 14223

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris G" <jedikent@mysticaccess.email>
[...]

I never saw anything like that in my life. I'm average, ordinary, weird but ordinary. My early tech included Double Talk on JAWS, a CD player that played CD's and CDRW discs, played tapes, and radio AM FM. It was weird but I wasn't as sophisticated as you all.

On 8/31/2015 4:04 AM, Chris G wrote:
[...]

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

I remember when I first got an account at Audible.com and they gave you a free MP3 player called the Otis. It was a great device for the audible books and both my husband and I listened to many, many books on those little guys. Wonder if there are any still around somewhere?
Marie

[...]

Mohamed

Oh, my first days of technology. I remember the BrailleNotes, the first piece of technology I had access to. I thought they were sooooo cool. Tech history is a very interesting subject.

Sent: Monday, August 31, 2015 1:25 AM
To: TechTalk@groups.io

[...]

rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi,
I liked the braillenotes myself, until I got the apex, and realised that it was identical to my trusty mpower, which never let me down. But yeah, I stted with a braillenote, too.

Sent from a BrailleNote