From: Crist처bal <crismunoz54@gmail.com
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 12:40:57 -0700
Subject: [TechTalk] What happened

Wow, I don뭪� check the lists for a couple of days and apparently everything
goes poopoo.

So is this list actually active?

All sorts of drama on BlindTech.

Carlos

Welcome to the list Cristóbal.  Indeed it is active.  We currently have about 98 members.

LOL let's just say that I had a difference of opinion in the art of list management with the owner/moderators of BlindTech.

From: Donald L. Roberts <donald.roberts99@gmail.com>
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date: Monday, 31 August 2015 9:31 pm

Although I am still subscribed, I got very frustrated with the moderation and sometimes the lack thereof. I very much dislike the fact that there are more and more persons on Blindtech who are cross posting all over the place. It is not unusual to see the same message no fewer than five or six times on various lists. And I hope that those cross posts do not show up here. This prompts a question. Is there a utility which will somehow delete cross posted messages? Setting up filters to do this would be a huge undertaking.

Don Roberts

Welcome to the list Cristbal. Indeed it is active. We currently have about 98 members.

From: Donald L. Roberts <donald.roberts99@gmail.com>
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date: Monday, 31 August 2015 9:31 pm

Although I am still subscribed, I got very frustrated with the moderation
and sometimes the lack thereof. I very much dislike the fact that there are
more and more persons on Blindtech who are cross posting all over the place.
It is not unusual to see the same message no fewer than five or six times on
various lists. And I hope that those cross posts do not show up here. This
prompts a question. Is there a utility which will somehow delete cross
posted messages? Setting up filters to do this would be a huge undertaking.

Don Roberts

On 8/31/2015 12:47 PM, Carlos wrote:

Welcome to the list Cristsbal. Indeed it is active. We currently have
about 98 members.

LOL let's just say that I had a difference of opinion in the art of list
management with the owner/moderators of BlindTech.
Wow, I don't' check the lists for a couple of days and apparently
everything goes poopoo.
So is this list actually active?
All sorts of drama on BlindTech.

Sent from a Braille Sense

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

LOL!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that there's really much which can be done about cross posting. I believe this problem may come back to Gene's and other's concerns about too many lists causing user fragmentation.

Wow, I don't' check the lists for a couple of days and apparently everything goes poopoo.
So is this list actually active?
All sorts of drama on BlindTech.

Sent from a Braille Sense

Carlos

I can definitely see that being a problem if you are either personally running or subscribed to many lists.

Wow, I don't' check the lists for a couple of days and apparently
everything goes poopoo.
So is this list actually active?
All sorts of drama on BlindTech.

Sent from a Braille Sense

Sent from a Braille Sense

Carlos

Of course filters will work when someone is sending to multiple list addresses in the same message, but I believe the original post was concerned with the issue of simply posting the same message to multiple lists individually which is technically not considered cross posting and cannot be handled by filters.

The owner of JAWS-Users [a customized Mailman server] seems to have implemented a filter to ‘catch’ cross-posters. It seems to work well, but from time to time a cross-posted message still gets through. And when that happens, the grapes of wrath quickly descend!

Anyway, one can implement a BCC message rule (filter) and add refinements to it as the need arises. I had a designated BCC folder (and probably still have one on my laptop), and messages sent BCC would go there.

Wow, I don’t’ check the lists for a couple of days and apparently everything goes poopoo.

So is this list actually active?

All sorts of drama on BlindTech.

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi,
Same posting but to different lists. HTH

With all due respect are they actually cross posts or merely separate postings to different lists? In my view there is a difference. I myself in an effort to obtain information have posed questions on more than one list in separate messages never cross posting as that is a violation of many an email list's protocols and also causes the email filters of individuals to fail.
That's why I pointed out the difference as I don't see a problem with the latter. Just my two cents no one asked for.
Robin

Wow, I don't' check the lists for a couple of days and apparently everything goes poopoo.
So is this list actually active?
All sorts of drama on BlindTech.

Sent from a Braille Sense

Flor Lynch

That’s true. If you have a good system of message rules or filters, you may (depending on how the message was posted) get copy (or copies if more than one) of the message in the same folder.

Wow, I don’t’ check the lists for a couple of days and apparently everything goes poopoo.

So is this list actually active?

All sorts of drama on BlindTech.

Carlos

Or I should say that it cannot be handled by filters on the part of the list admin.  It would have to be filtered by the individual members subscribed to those lists.

[...]

Yeah. Well, You can’t beat a good poster, annoyuing though they can be (except if it’s you that’s in need of urgent assistance!)