Additional Free Voices for NVDA

Gerald Levy

On my old XP PC, I was able to use Eloquence as my default voice for NVDA because I also happened to have Open Book 7 installed as well.  But on my current Windows 7 PC, the only default voices available for NVDA are Microsoft Anna or ESpeak, neither of which appeals to me because they are not especially clear or responsive.  I am well aware that Eloquence is not available legally as a free voice for NVDA in Win 7, so I won’t even bother to get into a discussion about this sensitive issue.  In any case, are there any other free voices available for NVDA that are clearer and more responsive than Anna or ESpeak?  Thanks.

Gerald

Blaster <blaster@...>

You can get the updated speech runtime update and extra voices from this link:

http://pamgriffith.net/blog/alternative-voices-for-nvda/

I like the zira pro voice myself,
Blaster

joanne

Forgive me if this has been covered but I haven't looked at the beginning of the thread yet but have to ask. Are these voices for Windows 7 or must you have upgraded or 8 or 10?

--------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 9:42 AM
To: <TechTalk@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Additional Free Voices for NVDA

Blaster

Carlos

For voices which are specifically for NVDA, the version of Windows you are running is usually not relevant.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 10:59 AM

Forgive me if this has been covered but I haven't looked at the beginning of the thread yet but have to ask. Are these voices for Windows 7 or must you have upgraded or 8 or 10?

--------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 9:42 AM

Blaster

Blaster <blaster@...>

I'm using them with Windows 7 64bit with no problems,
Blaster

Gene

Eloquence is legally available for NVDA.  You may not have seen it, but there was a long thread on blind tech a month or two ago about purchasing a newly available legal SAPI5 version of Eloquence from Code Factory.  I don't remember what the cost is.  But I seem to recall it was about 49 U.S. dollars. 

You can try the program as a demo which runs for seven days, if you wish.  I'd have to check to see where you can download it from.  Vendors are selling it other than Code factory but it should be directly available from Code Factory as well.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 9:27 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Additional Free Voices for NVDA

On my old XP PC, I was able to use Eloquence as my default voice for NVDA because I also happened to have Open Book 7 installed as well.  But on my current Windows 7 PC, the only default voices available for NVDA are Microsoft Anna or ESpeak, neither of which appeals to me because they are not especially clear or responsive.  I am well aware that Eloquence is not available legally as a free voice for NVDA in Win 7, so I won’t even bother to get into a discussion about this sensitive issue.  In any case, are there any other free voices available for NVDA that are clearer and more responsive than Anna or ESpeak?  Thanks.

Gerald

Carlos

Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 11:14 AM

Eloquence is legally available for NVDA.  You may not have seen it, but there was a long thread on blind tech a month or two ago about purchasing a newly available legal SAPI5 version of Eloquence from Code Factory.  I don't remember what the cost is.  But I seem to recall it was about 49 U.S. dollars. 

You can try the program as a demo which runs for seven days, if you wish.  I'd have to check to see where you can download it from.  Vendors are selling it other than Code factory but it should be directly available from Code Factory as well.

Gene

Gerald

Joe Giovanelli

Hello,

Zira is good. The thing is that it is very slow to respond to key strokes. I suppose that if the keys are set to echo words and not individual keystrokes, that would help.

You mentioned Zira Pro. Is this a revised version from the original one which appeared a few years ago?

Joe Giovanelli

To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date: Wednesday, September 2, 2015 10:42

Blaster

com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View This Message (#791): https://groups.io/org/groupsio/TechTalk/message/791
Mute This Thread: https://groups.io/mt/134943?uid=11729

Change Your Subscription: https://groups.io/org/groupsio/TechTalk/editsub?uid=11729
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/org/groupsio/TechTalk/leave/defanged

Group Home: https://groups.io/org/groupsio/TechTalk
Contact Group Owner: TechTalk+owner@groups.io
Terms of Service: https://groups.io/static/tos
com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

heather albright

I do not know, but, if you have jaws, can you use Eloquence  with NVDA? After all, you bought jaws that came with Eloquence so, can you not use it with NVDA on your own PC? Heather

Gerald

Carlos

No not legally.  Having a license to use Eloquence with JAWS is not necessarily a license to use it with other products.

Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 11:26 AM

I do not know, but, if you have jaws, can you use Eloquence  with NVDA? After all, you bought jaws that came with Eloquence so, can you not use it with NVDA on your own PC? Heather

Gerald

Gerald Levy

How do you install these voices? Do you first have to launch NVDA and then downloadthe Speech Platform Run Time and Redistributable Language Packs? Or can I download these apps using JAWS before switching to NVDA?

Gerald

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 11:11 AM

I'm using them with Windows 7 64bit with no problems,
Blaster

Blaster <blaster@...>

I do remember the zira voice, but I'm not sure if the pro version is a newer version. It doesn't stagger speech for me at all, I'm not sure if it's my pc or if it's a better voice module. It is the most natural sounding voice in my opinion.

blaster

Blaster <blaster@...>

I'm pretty sure they are specific to the program your using. You need additional licenses to use it for other screen readers.

Blaster

Gerald Levy

I know that Eloquence can be purchased for use with NVDA, but my understanding is that it cannot be used legally for free.

Gerald

Gene

Gerald

rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi,
For People in the UK, its �75.

Sent from a BrailleNote

Date sent: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 10:14:45 -0500

Eloquence is legally available for NVDA. You may not have seen it, but there was a long thread on blind tech a month or two ago about purchasing a newly available legal SAPI5 version of Eloquence from Code Factory. I don't remember what the cost is. But I seem to recall it was about 49 U.S. dollars.

You can try the program as a demo which runs for seven days, if you wish. I'd have to check to see where you can download it from. Vendors are selling it other than Code factory but it should be directly available from Code Factory as well.

Gene

On my old XP PC, I was able to use Eloquence as my default voice for NVDA because I also happened to have Open Book 7 installed as well. But on my current Windows 7 PC, the only default voices available for NVDA are Microsoft Anna or ESpeak, neither of which appeals to me because they are not especially clear or responsive. I am well aware that Eloquence is not available legally as a free voice for NVDA in Win 7, so I won�셳 even bother to get into a discussion about this sensitive issue. In any case, are there any other free voices available for NVDA that are clearer and more responsive than Anna or ESpeak? Thanks.

Gerald

Matt

Hi, you can also find it here and other voices as well. It is from the A T Guys . See link below.

http://www.atguys.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=20&zenid=af43ee9857bc9d1f2110626feb78bdfe

Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 11:18 AM

You can find it here.

Gene

Gerald

Gene

Unless you have an unrestricted version of Eloquence, which most people don't, you can't use it for free. 

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 10:34 AM

I know that Eloquence can be purchased for use with NVDA, but my understanding is that it cannot be used legally for free.

Gerald

Gene

Gerald

Blaster <blaster@...>

I downloaded the files first and ran them later,

Blaster

Gerald Levy

Exactly what I thought.  I only use NVDA occasionally as a backup screen reader to JAWS,and thus do not want to spend money for additional voices.  If I were using NVDA as my primary screen reader, then I could justify this expense.  But if the free Ziro voice is not very keyboard responsive, , then I might as well stick with Anna as my default voice, which is still better than those horrible sounding ESpeak bvoices.

Gerald

Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 11:38 AM

Unless you have an unrestricted version of Eloquence, which most people don't, you can't use it for free. 

Gene
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 10:34 AM

Gerald

Gene

Gerald

Blaster <blaster@...>

There's no comparison between MS Anna and Zira Pro, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Blaster