Holding back Windows 10

T. Civitello <tcivi31@...>

Carlos, I solved the immediate problem by rebooting the computer. I already have Windows Update set to notify me of updates and let me choose which ones to install.  Thanks, Tom

From: Carlos
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Holding back Windows 10

Hi Tom,
Welcome to the list.  The alert is only informing you that you can install Windows 10 if you choose to do so.  It is not actually being installed.  If you want to completely get rid of the alert, you will have to remove the update numbered
KB3035583
To remove the update,
1. Open the
"Run"
dialog by pressing Windows key R.
2. Type
appwiz.cpl
and press Enter.
3. When Programs and Features opens, tab to
"View installed updates"
and press Enter.
4. Wait a few seconds for the list to populate.
5. Tab to the search field and type
KB3035583
6. After a couple of seconds, tab to the listview, select the update, and press Enter.
7. The Windows installer will ask if you are sure you want to uninstall the update so select
"Yes"
8. Wait for the update to finish uninstalling and restart if you are asked to do so.
Note that the update will eventually be reinstalled unless you configure Windows Updates to not automatically install and then uncheck/hide it the next time it is offered.
You may or may not want to make this change, but if you decide to do so,
1. Open the
"Run"
dialog with Windows key R.
2. Type
wuapp
and press Enter.
3. Tab to
"Change settings"
and press Enter.
4. Tab to the combo box and select
"Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"
5. Tab to the
"OK"
button and select it to save the changes.
Until you revert this setting, updates will not be automatically installed.  The next time you are alerted about new updates, you will have to review the list and find the update by it's KB number which again is KB3035583.  Once you find it, press the Spacebar to uncheck it, press the Applications key to activate the context menu, and select
"Hide update"
Note that it may take several update cycles before the update is offered again.

Today while installing some Windows 7 updates, Windows update went ahead and started installing Windows 10. I am now getting a message that I can install Windows 10 now or schedule it. I gives me dates for the next 3 days. I don’t want to install it until Jaws 17 is released. How do I put the installation on hold. Closing it with alt,F4 has no effect.  Tom

Matt

Hi, there should be an icon in the system tray you can click on and it will give you some options.