what is Web i.e. and is it still used?

joanne

A friend is installing Windows 8 and asked if I wanted something called Web I.e. which he apparently found in a past version of Windows.  I don't know what it is but he wondered if it makes Internet Explorer more responsive, or if it's an obsolete program and doesn't work with higher versions of I.E.

Joanne

Carlos

Windows Mail is probably more stable.  You might also want to consider trying Windows Live mail.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 12:35 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] what is Web i.e. and is it still used?

A friend is installing Windows 8 and asked if I wanted something called Web I.e. which he apparently found in a past version of Windows.  I don't know what it is but he wondered if it makes Internet Explorer more responsive, or if it's an obsolete program and doesn't work with higher versions of I.E.

Joanne

Gene

Webbie is a browser developed for blind people.  It had some use years ago when some people were using primitive screen-readers like the one called Thunder that had no browse mode and no effective way of working with web pages using a regular browser and before NVDA was developed.  There is little or no reason to use it now, especially since the one somewhat useful feature I know about is now available in Firefox.  Webbie has a feature that removes links from web pages and let's you read an article without lots of links in the middle and at the beginning of the page.  But now, firefox has a very similar feature.  I'd have to look at it again before discussing it further. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 11:35 AM

Joanne

Gene

I should add that, while I am unaware of any advantages that Webbie has over a modern browser and screen-reader, that doesn't mean there aren't any.  If you want to play with Webbie to see if it solves any annoyances or problems you may run into, you may find that there are times when it may, though I doubt it.   

I didn't play much with Webbie 4, my impression is that Webbie 3 is better.  I'm just leaving the door opened to the possibility that Webbie may be useful now and then but I doubt it, especially if you have Firefox and another browser on your machine to get a broader array of browser features.  Also, Webbie uses it's own commands that have no coorelation with screen-reader browse mode commands. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] what is Web i.e. and is it still used?

Webbie is a browser developed for blind people.  It had some use years ago when some people were using primitive screen-readers like the one called Thunder that had no browse mode and no effective way of working with web pages using a regular browser and before NVDA was developed.  There is little or no reason to use it now, especially since the one somewhat useful feature I know about is now available in Firefox.  Webbie has a feature that removes links from web pages and let's you read an article without lots of links in the middle and at the beginning of the page.  But now, firefox has a very similar feature.  I'd have to look at it again before discussing it further. 

Gene

Joanne

Gerald Levy

But the other programs in the WebbIE suite of programs are still useful.  I find the WebbIE Calendar program to be especially screen reader-friendly and easy to use.

Gerald

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 1:14 PM

Gene

Joanne

joanne

Oh thanks, Gene.  I'd be interested in what this feature is called.  I have tried using Fire Fox and it doesn't seem as straightforward as I.E. but I want to learn it.

Gene

Joanne

Gene

The feature is in the view menu.  When you are on a web page with an article, open the view menu, alt v, and down arrow to an item that says open reader view.  Press enter to have the article shown in that view.  I haven't played with the feature much and I don't remember how to return from reader view.  I believe that using the back command or following a book mark or typing a web address in the address bar, then following it, I think all these methods will leave reader view.  I'm not sure how you leave it while staying on the page you are currently on.  I'd have to experiment and see.

Gene----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 12:52 PM

Oh thanks, Gene.  I'd be interested in what this feature is called.  I have tried using Fire Fox and it doesn't seem as straightforward as I.E. but I want to learn it.

Gene

Joanne

Vicky Vaughan <vrvaughan63@...>

I would very much like to know the name of the feature that skips over header and footer repeated information!

Sincerely, Vicky

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 1:52 PM

Gene

Joanne

NORMAN

Hi.
This is one of those text only browsers that's supposed to make life easier for people that use screen readers. I never liked it and finally just got rid of it.
As for weather internet explorer depends on it, no. Think of it as a completely stand alone browser like internet explorer or firefox.

On 9/4/2015 12:35 PM, joanne wrote:

Joanne

Flor Lynch

Webbie also has a pod-catcher, used to download podcasts, wwhich some users still find useful. (Note: The browser in the Webbie suite isn’t the only program there. It also has a radio station player, and a clock. Been a while since I used it, but I thought the WebbIE browser was its its weakest link. I may try it again, see how it’s getting on. The developer, Alasdair King, is a nice, friendly correspondent. (If he doesn’t respond to your query right away, he does eventually.)

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 6:48 PM

But the other programs in the WebbIE suite of programs are still useful.  I find the WebbIE Calendar program to be especially screen reader-friendly and easy to use.

Gerald

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 1:14 PM

Gene

Joanne