Directed messages

Donald L. Roberts

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem.  But I am starting to see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list, specifically Blindtech.  I am talking about the practice of directing messages to a specific individual in the subject line.  I respectfully suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual that he do so via private email.  I say that because it screws up the sorting of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an individual.

Don Roberts

Carlos

I agree with this and I would also like to emphasize keeping subject lines consistent in general.  I.E. If you would like to begin a different discussion, simply start with a new message.  Or if what you have to say is at least related to the thread to which you are responding, but may significantly side track the conversation, at least change the subject to reflect this.  I will have to work to follow this rule myself since I have not always been careful enough in this respect.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 2:58 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Directed messages

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem.  But I am starting to see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list, specifically Blindtech.  I am talking about the practice of directing messages to a specific individual in the subject line.  I respectfully suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual that he do so via private email.  I say that because it screws up the sorting of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an individual.

Don Roberts

joseph hudson <jhud7789@...>

Hey Carlos, you make me an admin I'll help you full your rules. I've done this to Chris already a couple of times. Talking about Chris Holdsworth.
Joseph Hudson
Email
I device support
Telephone
Twitter

On Sep 4, 2015, at 2:18 PM, Carlos <carlos1106@...> wrote:

I agree with this and I would also like to emphasize keeping subject lines consistent in general.  I.E. If you would like to begin a different discussion, simply start with a new message.  Or if what you have to say is at least related to the thread to which you are responding, but may significantly side track the conversation, at least change the subject to reflect this.  I will have to work to follow this rule myself since I have not always been careful enough in this respect.
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 2:58 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Directed messages

Don Roberts

Gene

That is not a solution unless the person really does want to take a topic off list.  Often the person wants to keep the discussion on list but wants to make sure the person sees it.  Anyone who took the trouble to answer a message will continue to follow the thread.  The subject line does not need to contain their name.  Subject lines should not be changed unless a new thread is started.  If someone wants to direct a questsion to someone by name and keep the discussion on list, leave the subject the same.  At the start of the main message body, write the person's name such as Gene.  Or unless you only want gene to answer, use something like Gene and all.  Gene and all or some variation is usually better because that doesn't discourage others from answering.

Gene

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 1:58 PM

Don Roberts

Carlos

I should have read through the message more carefully before responding.  To clarify, I agree that adding names to subject lines may not be a good practice, but I also agree with Gene that replying to the person privately is not the solution.  The solution is simply not to add names to subject lines.

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Directed messages

That is not a solution unless the person really does want to take a topic off list.  Often the person wants to keep the discussion on list but wants to make sure the person sees it.  Anyone who took the trouble to answer a message will continue to follow the thread.  The subject line does not need to contain their name.  Subject lines should not be changed unless a new thread is started.  If someone wants to direct a questsion to someone by name and keep the discussion on list, leave the subject the same.  At the start of the main message body, write the person's name such as Gene.  Or unless you only want gene to answer, use something like Gene and all.  Gene and all or some variation is usually better because that doesn't discourage others from answering.

Gene

Don Roberts

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi,
Can I add 2 things, please?
Keep the original message, and if possible, please, when you start a new subject, and if a new thread, please, start a new message. I never liked when the subject says microwaves, but turns out that the microwaves message became a new thread from used laptops, let's say.

To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date: Friday, 4 September 2015 8:19 pm

I agree with this and I would also like to emphasize keeping subject lines consistent in general. I.E. If you would like to begin a different discussion, simply start with a new message. Or if what you have to say is at least related to the thread to which you are responding, but may significantly side track the conversation, at least change the subject to reflect this. I will have to work to follow this rule myself since I have not always been careful enough in this respect.

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem. But I am starting to see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list, specifically Blindtech. I am talking about the practice of directing messages to a specific individual in the subject line. I respectfully suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual that he do so via private email. I say that because it screws up the sorting of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an individual.

Don Roberts

Sent from a Braille Sense

Carlos

I agree that you should start with a new message/subject if the topic is completely unrelated to the original one, but I believe that modifying the subject with a reference to the original topic is acceptable if it is at least related.

To: <TechTalk@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 4:24 PM

Hi,
Keep the original message, and if possible, please, when you start a new subject, and if a new thread, please, start a new message. I never liked when the subject says microwaves, but turns out that the microwaves message became a new thread from used laptops, let's say.

I agree with this and I would also like to emphasize keeping subject lines consistent in general. I.E. If you would like to begin a different discussion, simply start with a new message. Or if what you have to say is at least related to the thread to which you are responding, but may significantly side track the conversation, at least change the subject to reflect this. I will have to work to follow this rule myself since I have not always been careful enough in this respect.

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem. But I am starting to see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list, specifically Blindtech. I am talking about the practice of directing messages to a specific individual in the subject line. I respectfully suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual that he do so via private email. I say that because it screws up the sorting of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an individual.

Don Roberts

Hi,
If let's say, I speak about IPhone, and you then ask about the differences between apple and android, yes, that is related. But I often see someone asking something about gmail, and there's something totally unrelated below. Literally, all that needs to be done, is a select all, and delete.

Date: Friday, 4 September 2015 9:32 pm

I agree that you should start with a new message/subject if the topic is
completely unrelated to the original one, but I believe that modifying the
subject with a reference to the original topic is acceptable if it is at
least related.

Hi,
Keep the original message, and if possible, please, when you start a new
subject, and if a new thread, please, start a new message. I never liked
when the subject says microwaves, but turns out that the microwaves
message became a new thread from used laptops, let's say.

I agree with this and I would also like to emphasize keeping subject
lines consistent in general. I.E. If you would like to begin a different
discussion, simply start with a new message. Or if what you have to say
is at least related to the thread to which you are responding, but may
significantly side track the conversation, at least change the subject to
reflect this. I will have to work to follow this rule myself since I
have not always been careful enough in this respect.

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem. But I am starting to
see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list,
specifically Blindtech. I am talking about the practice of directing
messages to a specific individual in the subject line. I respectfully
suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual that
he do so via private email. I say that because it screws up the sorting
of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an
individual.

Don Roberts

Cristóbal

Thread hijacking... The bane of a list member's existance.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 1:43 PM

Hi,
If let's say, I speak about IPhone, and you then ask about the differences
between apple and android, yes, that is related. But I often see someone
asking something about gmail, and there's something totally unrelated below.
Literally, all that needs to be done, is a select all, and delete.

least related.

Hi,

lines consistent in general. I.E. If you would like to begin a
different
discussion, simply start with a new message. Or if what you have to
say
significantly side track the conversation, at least change the subject
to

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem. But I am starting
to
suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual
that
he do so via private email. I say that because it screws up the
sorting
individual.

Don Roberts

Carlos

LOL I'm agreeing with you Rajmund.

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 4:42 PM

Hi,
If let's say, I speak about IPhone, and you then ask about the differences between apple and android, yes, that is related. But I often see someone asking something about gmail, and there's something totally unrelated below. Literally, all that needs to be done, is a select all, and delete.

least related.

Hi,

individual.

Don Roberts

Gene

This is a ridiculous practice.  Someone starts a new thread, gives it a new subject line, and doesn't delete the previous material from the message body before writing a new message.  So nothing quoted in the message has any relevance.  (In my view, list owners should really crack down on this.  It is a complete waste of useage limits if someone is on some sort of restricted plan.  It makes digests larger for no valid reason.  Sometimes eight or ten or more previous messages are retained.  thus, list members may receive the equivalent of eleven or twelve messages instead of one. 

All lists should really make this a serious issue.  People don't realize that this is a problem and I have never seen any list I'm on try to get people to stop this practice.  On a standard Windows computer, all that is necessary is to issue two commands, control a, then delete before writing the message body.  either that or start a completely new message.  I don't know the procedure for other devices like phones but until demonstrated otherwise, I shall assume that it is easy to do the equivalent.

Gene

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 3:42 PM

Hi,

>
>
> I agree that you should start with a new message/subject if the topic is
> completely unrelated to the original one, but I believe that modifying the
> subject with a reference to the original topic is acceptable if it is at
> least related.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "rajmund" <brajmund2000@...>
> To: <TechTalk@groups.io>
> Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 4:24 PM
> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Directed messages
>
>
> > Hi,
> > Can I add 2 things, please?
> > Keep the original message, and if possible, please, when you start a new
> > subject, and if a new thread, please, start a new message. I never liked
> > when the subject says microwaves, but turns out that the microwaves
> > message became a new thread from used laptops, let's say.
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: Carlos <carlos1106@...>
> > To: TechTalk@groups.io
> > Date: Friday, 4 September 2015 8:19 pm
> > Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Directed messages
> >
> >>
> >>
> >> I agree with this and I would also like to emphasize keeping subject
> >> lines consistent in general.  I.E. If you would like to begin a different
> >> discussion, simply start with a new message.  Or if what you have to say
> >> is at least related to the thread to which you are responding, but may
> >> significantly side track the conversation, at least change the subject to
> >> reflect this.  I will have to work to follow this rule myself since I
> >> have not always been careful enough in this respect.
> >> ----- Original Message -----
> >> From: Donald L. Roberts
> >> To: TechTalk@groups.io
> >> Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 2:58 PM
> >> Subject: [TechTalk] Directed messages
> >>
> >>
> >> Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem.  But I am starting to
> >> see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list,
> >> specifically Blindtech.  I am talking about the practice of directing
> >> messages to a specific individual in the subject line.  I respectfully
> >> suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual that
> >> he do so via private email.  I say that because it screws up the sorting
> >> of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an
> >> individual.
> >>
> >> Don Roberts
> >>
> >>
> >
> > Sent from a Braille Sense
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
>

Hi,
OK, thanks for the professional name!

Date: Friday, 4 September 2015 9:49 pm

Hi,
asking something about gmail, and there's something totally unrelated below.

least related.

Hi,

different
say
to

to
that
sorting
individual.

Don Roberts

Carolyn Arnold

Thanks. That sounds like a very clear explanation with good directions.

Best from,

Carolyn

Sent: Friday, September 4, 2015 3:27 PM

That is not a solution unless the person really does want to take a topic
off list. Often the person wants to keep the discussion on list but wants
to make sure the person sees it. Anyone who took the trouble to answer a
message will continue to follow the thread. The subject line does not need
to contain their name. Subject lines should not be changed unless a new
thread is started. If someone wants to direct a questsion to someone by
name and keep the discussion on list, leave the subject the same. At the
start of the main message body, write the person's name such as Gene. Or
unless you only want gene to answer, use something like Gene and all. Gene
and all or some variation is usually better because that doesn't discourage
others from answering.

Gene

To: TechTalk@groups.io <mailto:TechTalk@groups.io>

suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual that he
do so via private email. I say that because it screws up the sorting of
threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an
individual.

Don Roberts

Carlos

And as I'm discovering the bane of a list owner's existence as well LOL.

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 4:49 PM

Hi,
asking something about gmail, and there's something totally unrelated
below.

completely unrelated to the original one, but I believe that modifying
the
least related.

Hi,
Keep the original message, and if possible, please, when you start a
new
subject, and if a new thread, please, start a new message. I never
liked

different
say
to

to
that
sorting
of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of
an
individual.

Don Roberts

Hi Gene,
LOL, looks like there's someone who hates it more than I do. ;) I just don't like it, because its unfair on the original poster. Anyway, this is also very simple to accomplish on note takers.

Date: Friday, 4 September 2015 10:01 pm

This is a ridiculous practice. Someone starts a new thread, gives it a new subject line, and doesn't delete the previous material from the message body before writing a new message. So nothing quoted in the message has any relevance. (In my view, list owners should really crack down on this. It is a complete waste of useage limits if someone is on some sort of restricted plan. It makes digests larger for no valid reason. Sometimes eight or ten or more previous messages are retained. thus, list members may receive the equivalent of eleven or twelve messages instead of one.

All lists should really make this a serious issue. People don't realize that this is a problem and I have never seen any list I'm on try to get people to stop this practice. On a standard Windows computer, all that is necessary is to issue two commands, control a, then delete before writing the message body. either that or start a completely new message. I don't know the procedure for other devices like phones but until demonstrated otherwise, I shall assume that it is easy to do the equivalent.

Gene

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 3:42 PM

Hi,

least related.

Hi,

individual.

Don Roberts

Cristóbal

Thread hijacking, one word responses (I.E. Thanks, ok, sure, etc.) trolling,
intentionally going off topic (thinking by simply putting OT makes it ok)
are all list manners no-nos.
What you list owners do is appreciated even though some do it better than
others... There's no way I'd be able to keep my sanity with running a list.
I'd probably try to reach through the screen after the third day to pop
someone in the chin who refuses to comply.
Good luck to you.

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 2:05 PM

Hi,
below.

the
least related.

Hi,
new
liked

different
say
to

to
that
sorting
an
individual.

Don Roberts

Carlos

I agree that the biggest problem is trying to get the majority of members to
cooperate.

And thanks. Although my sanity seems to be fairly intact so far LOL.

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 5:51 PM

Good luck to you.

Hi,
below.

the
least related.

Hi,
new
liked

different
say
to

to
that
sorting
an
individual.

Don Roberts

Carolyn Arnold

I think your sanity will stay intact, because I think you could be somewhat
like a boss I had. People wanted to do what she "needed." She'd say, "I need
you to..." She seemed to be so relaxed, that she kept the wheels oiled and
the machine going, as it were in terms of running a department.

Best from,

Carolyn

Sent: Friday, September 4, 2015 5:56 PM

I agree that the biggest problem is trying to get the majority of members to
cooperate.

And thanks. Although my sanity seems to be fairly intact so far LOL.
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 5:51 PM

Good luck to you.

Hi,
If let's say, I speak about IPhone, and you then ask about the
differences between apple and android, yes, that is related. But I
often see someone asking something about gmail, and there's something
totally unrelated below.

I agree that you should start with a new message/subject if the topic
is completely unrelated to the original one, but I believe that
modifying the
subject with a reference to the original topic is acceptable if it is
at least related.

Hi,
Keep the original message, and if possible, please, when you start
a new
liked

I agree with this and I would also like to emphasize keeping
subject lines consistent in general. I.E. If you would like to
begin a
different
discussion, simply start with a new message. Or if what you have
to
say
is at least related to the thread to which you are responding, but
may significantly side track the conversation, at least change the
subject
to
reflect this. I will have to work to follow this rule myself
since I have not always been careful enough in this respect.

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem. But I am
starting
to
specifically Blindtech. I am talking about the practice of
directing messages to a specific individual in the subject line.
I respectfully suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message
to an individual
that
sorting
of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name
of an
individual.

Don Roberts

Ann Parsons <akp@...>

Hi all,

Gene you mean you are actually expecting this profligate generation to stop overquoting? The *only* place on the net where overquoting is strictly managed is on any of the ICORS lists like Blind-x.

Getting people to quit overquoting is like pulling teeth or sending water uphill or yelling at the bottom of a well filled with fethers. They don't get it. They won't ever get it unless the list owner starts out by suspending offenders, yeah, I mean it. They won't learn unless the listowner has the hutz-pah to crack down on overquoting. Won't happen. That reminds me, I have to post my semi-annual warning on blind-x about overquoting.

Chuckling sardonically,
Ann P.

Original message:

This is a ridiculous practice. Someone starts a new thread, gives it a new subject line, and doesn't delete the previous material from the message body before writing a new message. So nothing quoted in the message has any relevance. (In my view, list owners should really crack down on this. It is a complete waste of useage limits if someone is on some sort of restricted plan. It makes digests larger for no valid reason. Sometimes eight or ten or more previous messages are retained. thus, list members may receive the equivalent of eleven or twelve messages instead of one.
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Flor Lynch

Rajmund and all:

This is not disputing any of the foregoing in this thread.

There are many people who don't know what a 'conversation' or 'thread' means in email terms. I've come across a few people who simply thought that, by changing the subject line in an existing message thread as they contribute their own message, they were writing a new - even original - message. And neither did they know (until I told them) that their message would come out in an existing thread for other subscribers who appreaciate and know the value of organizing emails by conversation view. Alsom, there appear to be some differences between how conversations/threads are defined by different receiving email clients.

So it's best, if you're writing on a completely unrelated subject, of course to begin a *completely* separte new message: or, as was said already by Carlos and others, if your message is different (but still related at least somewhat to the original) - to indicate or mark this in the subject field in a noticeable way.

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 9:42 PM

Hi,

least related.

Hi,

individual.