Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 2:58 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Directed messages

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem.  But I am starting to see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list, specifically Blindtech.  I am talking about the practice of directing messages to a specific individual in the subject line.  I respectfully suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual that he do so via private email.  I say that because it screws up the sorting of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an individual.

Don Roberts

joseph hudson <jhud7789@...>

Hey Carlos, you make me an admin I'll help you full your rules. I've done this to Chris already a couple of times. Talking about Chris Holdsworth.
Joseph Hudson
Email
I device support
Telephone
2543007667
Skype
joseph.hudson89 facebook
Twitter

I agree with this and I would also like to emphasize keeping subject lines consistent in general.  I.E. If you would like to begin a different discussion, simply start with a new message.  Or if what you have to say is at least related to the thread to which you are responding, but may significantly side track the conversation, at least change the subject to reflect this.  I will have to work to follow this rule myself since I have not always been careful enough in this respect.
Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem.  But I am starting to see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list, specifically Blindtech.  I am talking about the practice of directing messages to a specific individual in the subject line.  I respectfully suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual that he do so via private email.  I say that because it screws up the sorting of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an individual.

Don Roberts

Gene

That is not a solution unless the person really does want to take a topic off list.  Often the person wants to keep the discussion on list but wants to make sure the person sees it.  Anyone who took the trouble to answer a message will continue to follow the thread.  The subject line does not need to contain their name.  Subject lines should not be changed unless a new thread is started.  If someone wants to direct a questsion to someone by name and keep the discussion on list, leave the subject the same.  At the start of the main message body, write the person's name such as Gene.  Or unless you only want gene to answer, use something like Gene and all.  Gene and all or some variation is usually better because that doesn't discourage others from answering.

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 1:58 PM

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem.  But I am starting to see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list, specifically Blindtech.  I am talking about the practice of directing messages to a specific individual in the subject line.  I respectfully suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual that he do so via private email.  I say that because it screws up the sorting of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an individual.

Don Roberts

Carlos

I should have read through the message more carefully before responding.  To clarify, I agree that adding names to subject lines may not be a good practice, but I also agree with Gene that replying to the person privately is not the solution.  The solution is simply not to add names to subject lines.

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 1:58 PM

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem.  But I am starting to see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list, specifically Blindtech.  I am talking about the practice of directing messages to a specific individual in the subject line.  I respectfully suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual that he do so via private email.  I say that because it screws up the sorting of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an individual.

Don Roberts

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi,
Can I add 2 things, please?
Keep the original message, and if possible, please, when you start a new subject, and if a new thread, please, start a new message. I never liked when the subject says microwaves, but turns out that the microwaves message became a new thread from used laptops, let's say.

[...]

Sent from a Braille Sense

Carlos

I agree that you should start with a new message/subject if the topic is completely unrelated to the original one, but I believe that modifying the subject with a reference to the original topic is acceptable if it is at least related.

[...]

If let's say, I speak about IPhone, and you then ask about the differences between apple and android, yes, that is related. But I often see someone asking something about gmail, and there's something totally unrelated below. Literally, all that needs to be done, is a select all, and delete.

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem. But I am starting to
see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list,
specifically Blindtech. I am talking about the practice of directing
messages to a specific individual in the subject line. I respectfully
suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual that
he do so via private email. I say that because it screws up the sorting
of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an
individual.

Don Roberts

Sent from a Braille Sense

Sent from a Braille Sense

Cristóbal

Thread hijacking... The bane of a list member's existance.

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem. But I am starting
see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list,
specifically Blindtech. I am talking about the practice of directing
messages to a specific individual in the subject line. I respectfully
suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual
that
he do so via private email. I say that because it screws up the
sorting
of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an
individual.

Don Roberts

Sent from a Braille Sense

Sent from a Braille Sense

Carlos

LOL I'm agreeing with you Rajmund.

[...]

This is a ridiculous practice.  Someone starts a new thread, gives it a new subject line, and doesn't delete the previous material from the message body before writing a new message.  So nothing quoted in the message has any relevance.  (In my view, list owners should really crack down on this.  It is a complete waste of useage limits if someone is on some sort of restricted plan.  It makes digests larger for no valid reason.  Sometimes eight or ten or more previous messages are retained.  thus, list members may receive the equivalent of eleven or twelve messages instead of one.

All lists should really make this a serious issue.  People don't realize that this is a problem and I have never seen any list I'm on try to get people to stop this practice.  On a standard Windows computer, all that is necessary is to issue two commands, control a, then delete before writing the message body.  either that or start a completely new message.  I don't know the procedure for other devices like phones but until demonstrated otherwise, I shall assume that it is easy to do the equivalent.

If let's say, I speak about IPhone, and you then ask about the differences between apple and android, yes, that is related. But I often see someone asking something about gmail, and there's something totally unrelated below. Literally, all that needs to be done, is a select all, and delete.

> I agree that you should start with a new message/subject if the topic is
> completely unrelated to the original one, but I believe that modifying the
> subject with a reference to the original topic is acceptable if it is at
> least related.

Sent from a Braille Sense

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi,
OK, thanks for the professional name!

Thread hijacking... The bane of a list member's existance.

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem. But I am starting
see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list,
specifically Blindtech. I am talking about the practice of directing
messages to a specific individual in the subject line. I respectfully
suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual
that
he do so via private email. I say that because it screws up the
sorting
of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an
individual.

Don Roberts

Sent from a Braille Sense

Sent from a Braille Sense

Sent from a Braille Sense

Carolyn Arnold

Thanks. That sounds like a very clear explanation with good directions.

Best from,

Carolyn

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem. But I am starting to
see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list,
specifically Blindtech. I am talking about the practice of directing
messages to a specific individual in the subject line. I respectfully
suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual that he
do so via private email. I say that because it screws up the sorting of
threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an
individual.

Don Roberts

Carlos

And as I'm discovering the bane of a list owner's existence as well LOL.

Thread hijacking... The bane of a list member's existance.

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem. But I am starting
see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list,
specifically Blindtech. I am talking about the practice of directing
messages to a specific individual in the subject line. I respectfully
suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual
that
he do so via private email. I say that because it screws up the
sorting
of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of
an
individual.

Don Roberts

Sent from a Braille Sense

Sent from a Braille Sense

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi Gene,
LOL, looks like there's someone who hates it more than I do. ;) I just don't like it, because its unfair on the original poster. Anyway, this is also very simple to accomplish on note takers.

[...]

Thread hijacking, one word responses (I.E. Thanks, ok, sure, etc.) trolling,
intentionally going off topic (thinking by simply putting OT makes it ok)
are all list manners no-nos.
What you list owners do is appreciated even though some do it better than
others... There's no way I'd be able to keep my sanity with running a list.
I'd probably try to reach through the screen after the third day to pop
someone in the chin who refuses to comply.
Good luck to you.

[...]

I agree that the biggest problem is trying to get the majority of members to
cooperate.

And thanks. Although my sanity seems to be fairly intact so far LOL.

[...]

I think your sanity will stay intact, because I think you could be somewhat
like a boss I had. People wanted to do what she "needed." She'd say, "I need
you to..." She seemed to be so relaxed, that she kept the wheels oiled and
the machine going, as it were in terms of running a department.

Best from,

Carolyn

[...]

Ann Parsons <akp@...>

Hi all,

Gene you mean you are actually expecting this profligate generation to stop overquoting? The *only* place on the net where overquoting is strictly managed is on any of the ICORS lists like Blind-x.

Getting people to quit overquoting is like pulling teeth or sending water uphill or yelling at the bottom of a well filled with fethers. They don't get it. They won't ever get it unless the list owner starts out by suspending offenders, yeah, I mean it. They won't learn unless the listowner has the hutz-pah to crack down on overquoting. Won't happen. That reminds me, I have to post my semi-annual warning on blind-x about overquoting.

Chuckling sardonically,
Ann P.